• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There Will be more than 35 characters, bet on it.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
You're Sakurai. Melee had 26 characters. You're set to produce Brawl. You have much more time, a much larger staff, and all of Nintendo's resources at your disposal. What would your minimum goal for characters be? Probably 35 AT LOWEST. Sakurai himself said he's surprised how much he managed to get in the game. Do you think he skimped on characters, what makes the game Smash?

Ok, there's the 23 characters on the dojo.

Add in the shoe-in veterans:
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Ness
Game and Watch
Young Link (You may not agree, I don't care.)
Marth
Falco (Makes sense whether you believe prophets or not.
Captain Falcon

That's 32.

35 means there's only 3 new characters we shouldn't know about (though we do know about Lucario.)
Do you really think there would only be 3 completely new hidden characters? We know E-LE-VEN already. The whole 35 character thing is ridiculous.

Considering we already know Lucario, 35 characters means we're only getting TWO of the following:
Bowser Jr./Geno
5th Zelda character
Mewtwo (Not even a new character!)
Ridley
Black Shadow
Wolf/Krystal
Micaiah
The Masked Man
3rd party
K. Rool
Ray
Isaac
AC character
Wars character
Retro/Obscure character

Mario only having 4 characters, being at best tied with Zelda and Pokemon? Not likely. Down to only one more character already!

Now, here's the real question: Do you believe that there will only be one more character from a list that contains: A 5th character for Nintendo's 2nd and 3rd best selling franchise, the most requested character worldwide who is a flying villain from a series with only one true character, a character from another series with only one character, a 3rd character from Starfox who had 2 very highly requested characters worldwide, a 3rd character from a series that grew and expanded well due to Melee, a 3rd MOTHER character who was at LEAST requested as much as Lucas and is also a villain, another 3rd party character, a 3rd character who is very popular villain from Nintendo's fourth best selling series, a character from one of at least 4 unrepresented Nintendo series, and another retro/obscure/WTF character?

No, and if you do, even if it is true, it is still poor judgement to believe it until it is proven.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Bowser
4. Peach
5. Donkey Kong
6. Diddy Kong
7. Link
8. Zelda/Sheik
9. Ganondorf
10. Toon Link
11. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. Meta Knight
15. King Dedede
16. Fox
17. Falco
18. Wolf
19. Pikachu
20. Pokemon Trainer
21. Jigglypuff
22. Lucario
23. Ike
24. Marth
25. Lucas
26. Ness
27. Wario
28. Pikmin & Olimar
29. Captain Falcon
30. Ice Climbers
31. Pit
32. Mr. Game & Watch
33. R.O.B.
34. Snake
35. Sonic

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Bowser
4. Peach
5. Donkey Kong
6. Diddy Kong
7. Link
8. Zelda/Sheik
9. Ganondorf
10. Toon Link
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. Meta Knight
15. King Dedede
16. Fox
17. Falco
18. Wolf
19. Pikachu
20. Pokemon Trainer
21. Jigglypuff
22. Lucario
23. Ike
24. Marth
25. Lucas
26. Ness
27. Wario
28. Pikmin & Olimar
29. Captain Falcon
30. Ice Climbers
31. Pit
32. Mr. Game & Watch
33. R.O.B.
34. Snake
35. Sonic

Is that the supposed roster? How... horrifically unimagitive...

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
23 base on Dojo + Lucario, Jiggs and Ness = 26 base.

That would mean 9 characters we don't know about:

1. Captain Falcon
2. Luigi
3. Marth
4. Mewtwo
5. Ganondorf(/Ganon?)
6. Mr G&W
7. Megaman or Geno
8. Someone else
9. Someone else

For me, that's 2 big surprises. I'm thinking those veterans will return, I also think Falco has a good chance or returning, but not as sure as I am for the others. Transformations add on top of base, so there's always hope there.

I still can't bet on more than 35 characters. Soz ;)

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
If you read the last paragraph, I would think it would make it clear there would be more than 35 characters, but I guess not. I'm going to add a point I frequently make to the first post to help my point.

platnum

Smash Lord
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Bowser
4. Peach
5. Donkey Kong
6. Diddy Kong
7. Link
8. Zelda/Sheik
9. Ganondorf
10. Toon Link
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. Meta Knight
15. King Dedede
16. Fox
17. Falco
18. Wolf
19. Pikachu
20. Pokemon Trainer
21. Jigglypuff
22. Lucario
23. Ike
24. Marth
25. Lucas
26. Ness
27. Wario
28. Pikmin & Olimar
29. Captain Falcon
30. Ice Climbers
31. Pit
32. Mr. Game & Watch
33. R.O.B.
34. Snake
35. Sonic
www.youfail.org

dont EVEN kid about this...it has to much failure to be real.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
It doesn't prove anything. You can't prove there are only 35, but you can't prove there are more, it's all just speculation. Personally I have reason to think there are 35, and I'm sticking with that number until the game is out, you can think whatever you want to.

There are usually less secrets than Starters, and assuming Melee has 20 starters (Mario -> King Dedede - Sonic and Snake) it's not hard to believe there could be 15 secrets.

SSB64 had 8 starters and 4 secrets (half)
SSBM had 14 starters and 11 secrets (more than half, but still a difference)

You could argue that the ratio of Starter to secrets becomes more even and that with 20 starters it's not unreasonable to believe there are 40, but why think there are 40 when it could turn out to be less? You'll be disappointed, of course, everyone thinks there own way, and this is my way.

And none of this "breaking tradition" stuff, that's speculation and there isn't really much to back it anyway.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Well, 35 plus transformations becomes 39 (Sheik, Zamus, and add 2 for Pokemon Trainer since his name is included in the 35 list), so if you believe Melee had 26 characters, then Brawl will have 39, which isnt THAT bad really...

And people, get used to that "demon" roster up there. It is the most likely one of all.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
If the clones are returning for SSBB, I hope they give the clones a unique movesets so they can no longer be clones.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
That was Poke'mon Trainer in the pic, not Ness.
Ness is in another pic :p along with Lucas.

And including transforms, Melee has 26, Brawl could have 40 including transforms if Ganon is a Ganondorf transform.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, I think we already saw many things from SSE, so there's not much room left.

I think it'll be 35. I know it sucks and I hate it, but I won't get my hopes up.

It seems we've just put to many hopes up... what's really sad is that it's only 10 characters more than Melee... it seems to be only a few more... (and it is) that's REALLY not enough. You can nearly count them with only one hand.

Maybe they shouldn't have let Sakurai do it then they'd just make more stages and characters...

I'm sure SSE will disappoint me too.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
I never said I was proving anything. I just gave very logical reasoning why there most likely will be more than 35 characters in my opinion. I can tell you have faith in these prophets, I guess I can't change your mind.

I imagine most people will be disappointed comparatively regardless. I would be happier if Chibi-Robo was a character, but most likely he won't be. This isn't me being optimistic, it is me being realistic. I'm not going to be a pessimist just so I might be pleasantly surprised later.

King Dedede is in event match one. He's most likely a starter. I doubt they randomly announced a first party unlockable months ago.

Also, Sakurai probably does keep ratio of starters to unlockable in mind. I don't know why you brought it up really, it only helps my argument. Sakurai has made it seem like many unlockable characters will be in this game, a higher ratio than before. With 25 starting movesets (assuming Snake and Sonic are unlockable) 15ish unlockables seems quite likely, especially when you consider we know who most of them are.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
We haven't seen that much from SSE. We've seen maybe like 5 levels. That might take like an hour, and conservative estimates put SSE at 5 hours for a minimum playthrough at this point.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
www.youfail.org

dont EVEN kid about this...it has to much failure to be real.
What he said. With all that's surrounding Brawl and how much of a fan driven game this is, I'd like to think that Sakurai and his staff could muster up a roster that wasn't so bland. Seriously, I think I can actually taste chalk in my mouth when I read that...

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I don't think Olimar is a starter, because he's not in the Famitsu guide (which implies that only Mario through King Dedede are starters...)

To me that says 20 starters.

And about being a pessimist to be pleasently surprised, well I guess that's where we differ. Although I don't think Chibi-Robo is playable either, but I still have hope that he will be. His trophy has been revealed, which reminds me of the time before Melee where Ganondorf had a revealed trophy, and everyone thought this meant "Disconfirmed", yet he was still in.

So I'm saying you never know, but for know I'm going for 35 characters.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
What the **** are people taking this 35 character roster any more seriously than any other bogus predictions?

Oh and Wolf is so lame it's not funny

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Olimar wasn't announced at the time that guide came out though. They decided to use it as a means of introducing Sheik instead.

I find it highly unlikely they announced two hidden first party newcomers and haven't done veterans personally. I was just using Chibi-Robo as an example of something I want to show I'm not just being optimistic.

There's also the whole icon 19 thing, and if that icon represents a character we'll almost certainly have more than 35 characters. If any of the characters I listed in that last paragraph of the first post are confirmed, we should have more than 35 characters. You have to admit, chances are we'll get one of them.

Luigi player

Smash Master
We've seen many different levels from SSE and I'm sure that there are a few more, but I think not too many. It's cool with the cutscenes and bosses and such, and I'm sure it'll take some time for everything and with every character, but also that it won't take that long probably (for one character).

Be realistic, they won't make a completely new game for every character. It will be good and awesome, but not too long. I'm sure there won't be too many levels.

NightDragon

Smash Cadet
I just cannot believe if R.O.B. makes it. If it does.. I don't really care. It'll cause plenty of arguments, though.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
For every character to be incorporated in there has to be quite a few levels. Jigglypuff's in it even. I don't think you really need to do it with different characters. It could easily have something like 40 10 minute levels, which isn't much in terms of length of levels, but is in number of levels allowing for plenty of things to happen.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well... maybe, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I'm sure it'll take probably 1 hour +, but I don't think it'll be that long for each character... maybe with many cutscenes and bosses and if there are enough long levels and such it might be about one hour per character...

88 Teeth

Smash Cadet
i think that intercept is right
35 seems to small to me
we will easily get more than that

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure you don't choose characters for SSE like you did in Adventure mode in Melee Luigi player. I'm pretty sure it's one big game with all the characters. Kind of like Starfox 64 with multiple paths and what not (though hopefully you can do them all in one playthrough.)

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, that's what I thought too... but it would be strange if you couldn't choose who you want to play as... but it seems you can't.

If you look at it this way (that you can't choose a character and just play it through) that it will be even shorter. Like maybe 2 levels and one boss for each character or something...

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Well, I think you can choose once characters join up in there separate groups, but anyway this is getting off topic. Back on topic.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Yeah, 35 characters would be fine...
AS A STARTING ROSTER.
*massive headdesk*

This is so depressing...

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah, 35 characters would be fine...
AS A STARTING ROSTER.
*massive headdesk*

This is so depressing...
lol, that would be awesome. 35 character starting roster... and 50 characters if you unlocked everyone :laugh:

Oh well, maybe in the next smash (if there is one) we'll have 10 more characters looking forward to...

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Sans R.O.B. (I have NO idea why Chronobound decided to give the guy who claimed R.O.B. was playable some kind of special credability, but whatever), that roster would be bearable. Put in Geno, Ridley or somebody like Animal Crosser or Mii, and it'd even be great. Not perfect, but a hellova lot more balanced than Melee's ever was.

That doesn't mean I want the 35 character rumour to be true though.

I still think the whole 35 characters thing is fake though. Markman could just as easily be basing his claims off what NyaseNya said, just like how several leakers got caught out by jumping on the 48 character rumour. Only difference is NyaseNya is halfway believable. He (She?) could have a genuine source, but considering Sakurai himself said the aim was around 40 characters, the game got delayed several times (obviously not enough time to ADD in a characters, but probably enough to FINISH those last few characters), 35 seems... Suspicious. The delay, Olimar's whip attack (Hell, didn't somebody else guess this who later admitted to being fake?) and the prediction of Sonic on that Wednesday (A major conference is on Wednesday, and Nintendo confirms that they and Brawl will be there, with an announcement. Sonic would've been one of the first things to come to most people's minds. Strange she never mentioned the delay here until afterwards, when everybody could already tell for themselves the reason for Sonic being revealed at the same time) are all too simple for my liking, and somebody like Gimpy can attest that NyaseNya's original 'leak' thread was hardly graceful. Plus, 35 characters makes the dual-layered disc seem less likely. It could just as well happen, but except maybe music, characters would almost definatly take up the most space on the disc. Would 11 more from Melee really make it jump that much to aroun 8.5 gigabytes?

Could just be general annoyance at people's disbelief, but I like grasping at straws. If all this comes true, then I owe an apology to NyaseNyu, but at the moment, I want to prove that we'll get more than 35 characters as much as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Snake, Sonic, and any other potential 3rd Party was quick to make thanks to heavy amounts of resources and input supplied by their parent company.

Think about it this way; if we believe the more credible leakers on the returning veterans, that brings us up to 22 characters, counting transformations, discounting newcomers. That's Mewtwo, Roy, Pichu and Dr. Mario cut. Other than Mewtwo, that's exactly what I expected and wanted. Now add the newcomers we have already, and we get 34, including transformations (No, Pokemon Trainer doesn't count as 3 characters to me if the Dojo doesn't count them as three characters). Add in Lucario who's been accidentally confirmed, and that's 35. Even if the '35 characters' doesn't include transformations, that leaves only two newcomers left. If we somehow get proof of more than two new comers that AREN'T Lucario before release, the 35 character thing is WRONG.

And, eh, assuming Olimar's a starter, Falcon is a starter, we either have ten or twelve secrets. Melee's amount was inbetween that number. Is Brawl really going to have one less, or only one more amount of unlockable characters to Melee? Most of them may've been clones in Melee, but there were probably just as many planned original movesets that would've taken their place had they had the kind of development time and team that Brawl has. I'd also argue about how several extremely requested characters would've been cut, yet I realize that there were even more 'must haves' that didn't make the cut in Melee.

And in a side note, while Olimar may've not been in the Famistu book, Sonic and Snake WERE, yet they're already confirmed to be unlockables. So the book is not indicative of whether a character is secret or not really, unless it outright says so.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
As I said earlier, if any character from that last paragraph of my first post gets confirmed the 35 character room is good as busted. I hope we find out icon 19 like tomorrow with a character update.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As I said earlier, if any character from that last paragraph of my first post gets confirmed the 35 character room is good as busted. I hope we find out icon 19 like tomorrow with a character update.
Actually, to destroy the creditbility of 2/3 prophets who said the game would have a 35 character roster, all Sakurai needs to do is unveil that 1. Captain Falcon is in the starting roster and 2. that he has not been completely revamped. Two of the prophets claim that he is unlockable and has a completely new moveset despite a decent amount of evidence that suggests otherwise. Now we play the waiting game...

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'll believe the unlockable thing. New moveset seems a bit ridiculous. I'd like to take out all the 35 char ones at once though.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
We just need one update with ANY character that's not on that roster! And if they keep revealing characters that are on it...my Smash Bros. dreams will be shattered to pieces. :(

Torchik

Smash Ace
23 base on Dojo + Lucario, Jiggs and Ness = 26 base.

That would mean 9 characters we don't know about:

1. Captain Falcon
2. Luigi
3. Marth
4. Mewtwo
5. Ganondorf(/Ganon?)
6. Mr G&W
7. Megaman or Geno
8. Someone else
9. Someone else

For me, that's 2 big surprises. I'm thinking those veterans will return, I also think Falco has a good chance or returning, but not as sure as I am for the others. Transformations add on top of base, so there's always hope there.

I still can't bet on more than 35 characters. Soz ;)
(Are you talking about 35 without unlockables, cause then my arguement is obselete. If you're talking about 35 total, then it's valid. ^_^)

So, we know there's 26. 15 veterans (counting Shiek) and 12 newcomers. If numbers 1-6 come back from your list, it would then be: 21 veterans and 12 newcomers, then add numbers 7-9, the three newcomers. 21 veterans and 15 newcomers. So that's 36 (or 35) right there. Now, you seriously think that there are only going to be 3 unlockable characters that AREN'T veterans? I seriously doubt it. In Melee nine out of the ELEVEN unlockables were newcomers. Either Brawl is going to have less unlockable characters than Melee...OR your list is completely wrong and all of those character except for one (the other one will be Jiggs) will be newcomers and none of the characters on your list are returning...

There, that should prove to you that there are gonna be more than 35 characters! ^_^

hypeman

Smash Apprentice
I'm a snake, marth, and zelda in training.
Actually, to destroy the creditbility of 2/3 prophets who said the game would have a 35 character roster, all Sakurai needs to do is unveil that 1. Captain Falcon is in the starting roster and 2. that he has not been completely revamped. Two of the prophets claim that he is unlockable and has a completely new moveset despite a decent amount of evidence that suggests otherwise. Now we play the waiting game...
well I think he will be a character update this week or next week. On the Dojo in the veterans spot there is still 3 more spots to be filled.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
im fine with 35 characters, 34 was my orinal prediction, i have everything riding on one thing if sakuri put geno as a playable character then im happy with any size roster, if geno is not playable im going too be dissapointed. Now geno being playable wont make or break the game but there have been enough confirmations especially recent ones like olimar, lucario... to where the roster is almost good enough.

im sure everyone has that one character that they want in whether it be krstal,geno,ridley,lucario,megaman just be happy if ur most wanted character make its or not and dont get greedy wanting a big roster

Top Bottom