• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There Is One They Fear: Dragonborn Shouts Them Down!

Have you played Skyrim?

• Yes

Votes: 90 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Skooma

Votes: 34 22.7%

• Total voters

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
Upon yesterday’s events, does anyone else feel like Dovahkiin’s chances just rose?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
It's possible, but I don't think they've moved up any from (in my own eyes) the Top Ten for Third Party franchises.

MeekMeek93

Smash Cadet
Skyrim is the biggest game of last gen, and it’s still relevant today. Not to mention that Bethesda published three games on switch, and that number is getting higher. Even if it’s from a western studio, it definitely made its mark on the world

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Dovahkiin actually seems pretty low on the list, unfortunately.

The most requested/likely Western 3rd parties I see around are:
  • Rayman (Ubisoft), based on the random trophy he got in the last game
  • Banjo-Kazooie (Formerly Rare, now Microsoft), since they were big names in the N64 era around the time of DK64, which went away once Rare got bought out
  • Steve (Minecraft, now Microsoft) for being a worldwide phenomenon. For me, though, I'd see a stage much more likely than the PC since the game is all about what you can make
  • Shovel Knight and Shantae (Indie)
I think Dovahkiin also gets hurt a bit since requests for him didn't really crop up until after the Skyrim port was announced, which was WAY after the ballot. Honestly the two Bethesda guys and Solaire are all suffereing from this while the others aren't

Still, Smash has never had a western 3rd party character. Sakurai likes to have creative control but be accurate to the character, so there may be a lot of language barriers in addition to legal barriers. Add to that that a lot of these characters are "Hello, [INSERT NAME HERE]" player characters, and things are not good for most of them outside of BK and Rayman.

I think Dovahkiin's best chances would be if Skyrim really impressed Sakurai and the Japanese. Breath of the Wild definitely did feel like a Bethesda-esque RPG, and they definitely did talk to each other to put some Zelda stuff in the Skyrim port. The Shouts would make for a really fun playstyle, but with few requests...it's not looking good. I can still dream though.

Alduin would make a great boss. I dunno if we'll be getting SSE back, but I think a new Smash Run is logical, and I'd love to see the Draugr in there. They look so good in Skyrim, and they're pretty iconic enemies in their own right.
Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy and Shantae a spirit (Piranha Plant doesn't have one) Both Steve and Banjo are owned by a direct competitor and yes Phil Spencer says he'd be fine with it but he's not the only person making decisions.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
This would bring in a TON of PC gamers which is the one audience Smash does not appeal to at the moment, and I am fairly certain Nintendo would capitalize on this character. EVERYONE knows who this guy is, and the moveset would be hella awesome! While Skyrim is not my cup of tea, I fully support this and even expect the Dragon Born to be DLC.

rat.jpg

Smash Apprentice
Everyone wonders why Dragonborn's patch file size is 14.3 gb
Someone uses the Final Smash for the first time
The screen fades to black
Suddenly all the fighters are on a wagon and some text appears on the screen
"Bethesda presents..."
"The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim"

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
A thread for Dragonborn as DLC? Heck yes!
I've always imagined their intro sequence being Link surrounded by Rathalos, Charizard and Ridley when all three are blasted away by Unrelenting Force. Link looks around to see Dragonborn, steel sword in hand, when a Skyrim dragon (probably Alduin) lands behind him and both Dragonborn and Link face Alduin together.
In all seriousness though, I do think Dragonborn would be a great choice.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I haven't been here in a little while. So lets try to rile up a discussion: if The Elder Scrolls series had Spirits, what would they be, what would they do, and are they enhancable?

I'll start:

Name: Delphine (Inn Keeper)
Type: Primary (Attack)
Slots: 2
Effect: Enhancable At Level 99
-
Enhance Name: Delphine (Blades Armor)
Type: Primary (Attack)
Slots: 2
Effect: Weapon Resist Up
-----
Name: Dremora
Type: Support
Cost: 1
Effect: Fire Damage Up

Soness621

Smash Rookie
Trailer:

Ice Climbers are trying to get to the top of a snowy mountain. They stumble upon a stairway made of stone that comes from way down the mountain. They follow it for a few meters till they reach its end. Suddenly a big white figure roars from the top of a rock and assaults them. As it is about to attack, the frost troll is stomped on by an even bigger figure. Its a dragon. It catches one of the climbers with its teeth. “Deep drums start sounding “A known tune with manly voices singing monosyllabes in dragon tongue starts ” His sister tries to free him, but the dragon sends her flying to a nearby rock with just one movement of its wings. The climber tries to free himself, but it is useless. The camera now shows the feet of a man stepping into the fight. “ooooooaaaaaaaaOOOOOAAAAAH” The dragon drops the climber and turns to the newcomer. FUS RO DAH! “Dohvakin Dohvakin naal ok zin los vahriin ...” THE DRAGONBORN SHOUTS THEM DOWN!

Daedra

vibing
Trailer:

Ice Climbers are trying to get to the top of a snowy mountain. They stumble upon a stairway made of stone that comes from way down the mountain. They follow it for a few meters till they reach its end. Suddenly a big white figure roars from the top of a rock and assaults them. As it is about to attack, the frost troll is stomped on by an even bigger figure. Its a dragon. It catches one of the climbers with its teeth. “Deep drums start sounding “A known tune with manly voices singing monosyllabes in dragon tongue starts ” His sister tries to free him, but the dragon sends her flying to a nearby rock with just one movement of its wings. The climber tries to free himself, but it is useless. The camera now shows the feet of a man stepping into the fight. “ooooooaaaaaaaaOOOOOAAAAAH” The dragon drops the climber and turns to the newcomer. FUS RO DAH! “Dohvakin Dohvakin naal ok zin los vahriin ...” THE DRAGONBORN SHOUTS THEM DOWN!
u snapped

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

YouTube’s Delzethin included the Dragonborn as one of the potential DLC candidates in his new video!

Thoughts?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Really praying for my boy, Dovahkiin.

We have more than enough of up coming Fighters Pass updates, Dragonborn is the only third party I'm interested in other then a MK rep.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
YouTube’s Delzethin included the Dragonborn as one of the potential DLC candidates in his new video!

Thoughts?
A somewhat recent interview with Pete Hines, Bethesda’s vice president of PR and marketing:
https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/13/pete-hines-bethesda-interview-we-do-believe-in-single-player-7939215/

Principally, at the end of the interview:
GameCentral: This will just take a second, I can guarantee he’s going to give a very short answer to this.
Pete Hines : [laughs]
GC: Have you spoken to them [Nintendo] about Smash Bros.?
PH: Oh yeah.
GC: I see. Well, let’s leave it at that. Thanks very much for your time.
PH: No problem, nice to see you again.

Interview ends.
This all but confirms at least some kind of Bethesda representation for Smash Bros.

Many want to put Doomguy as the go-to Bethesda rep, and that's understandable. Doom has a long and storied history in gaming, and has recently found a home on the Switch. Doom (along with Wolfenstein and Fallout for that matter) is an IP that Bethesda/Zenimax have acquired from their original creators. Though Bethesda is now the custodian of these iconic franchises, Bethesda did not bring them into the world. Elder Scrolls however is an IP of Bethesda's own handiwork, which brought the company into the gaming limelight, and into the wider mainstream entirely. It was, in fact, the success of the Elder Scrolls series that allowed Bethesda to acquire and breathe new life to the other beloved IPs mentioned above.

Point being: if Bethesda is intending to put their best foot forward for Smash Bros, it feels like it would be most appropriate to do so with the fighter that is most iconic to the company. Square did so with Cloud, Sega with Sonic, Capcom with Megaman, then Ryu/Ken, (Konami sort-of with Snake, but that's a unique storied scenario in itself). For Bethesda, that would be the Elder Scrolls, and ES V Skyrim is their loudest proudest most iconic entry, still relevant today, and one of the first games showcased on the Switch during it's official reveal.

Additionally, one of the factors Smash Developers (and Sakurai himself) look for in potential fighters is how well, and how true to the character the fighter can be done in a Smash context, not to mention if the fighter brings something unique and interesting to the table. The Dragon Shouts featured in Skyrim are practically tailor-made to be used as Special moves in a Smash Bros moveset, easily incorporating the three levels of power depending on how long the player holds down the input (could easily go into in-depth details, but not necessary to make the point).

Last edited:

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
As much as I want our dearest Dovahkiin in Smash, I don't see the chances of it happening being exceedingly high. The character is very open to interpretation, with no set appearance or characteristics. So unless they make a different appearance (with different race and weapons and armor) for every alt, I don't know how they'll make it work. Some weapon-based attacks could fit in, with different shouts and maneuvers as specials. Maybe a dragon swoops down for the Final Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
As much as I want our dearest Dovahkiin in Smash, I don't see the chances of it happening being exceedingly high. The character is very open to interpretation, with no set appearance or characteristics. So unless they make a different appearance (with different race and weapons and armor) for every alt, I don't know how they'll make it work. Some weapon-based attacks could fit in, with different shouts and maneuvers as specials. Maybe a dragon swoops down for the Final Smash.
I had no idea of this argument until yesterday. Haha Dragonborn's real threat is the competition with Doomguy tho. I don't believe Dovahkiin being customizable ultimately decapitates his chances. Dragonborn is pretty much the icon of default, we're just allowed to change his look from the original for no specific reasons. He can potentially be that one exception.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I've mentioned previously that a way to address that is to do something similar as Bowser Jr./Koopalings, using significant outfits of major elements and varying races to cover the customizable appearance bases. Also, an "open to interpretation" character hasn't hampered other characters in Smash. Notably, the Inkling comes to mind, who is normally restricted to a single main weapon per match, yet has a whole arsenal at their disposal that spans their moveset. As an example, there's no reason a Smash Bros. Dragonborn can't use the Fire Storm spell/scroll as a Down Smash, and a warhammer/battleaze swing as a Forward Smash, while keeping simple sword swings for jabs/tilts.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wow, I’ve been out for a while...I really got back into BotW and now between trying to rewatch GoT and Avengers in time for the new ones, I don’t have much time. And MK11 too. Next weekend is gonna be insanity.

I’ve gotta say, it’s interesting seeing what they did with Joker. I know literally nothing about the Persona series at all, but they really lovingly crafted his whole kit. I’d be in heaven to see something done even half as well for the Elder Scrolls series.

True, Skyrim’s coming up on its 8th birthday in November, and TES doesn’t really have anything on the horizon besides ESO updates and a mobile game which is getting slammed for microtransactions (Bethesda, stop being EA! I don’t want you to fail!). But still, Skyrim’s in people’s minds, especially since it overlaps well with Game of Thrones and that hype is through the roof right now.

I’d love to see a Dovahkiin with a great set of attacks, costumes representing a few race/gender options, an awesome stage possibly with some Morrowind/Oblivion tracks, and an awesome chrageable shout special set. It'd fit well with the idea of the DLC characters being more involved (‘gimmicky,’ if you will) than the standards, and also repping their whole series through music as Joker does. Yeah, people are more flocking to Doomguy since Eternal’s more of the big name now and there’s a lot of history there, but Elder Scrolls was pretty well the first modern genre-defining WRPG, and Skyrim was really played up for Switch release (I got the Skyrim case for my Switch and it looks great!)

I’ll wait and see. I never bought the fighter pass since I know there aren’t many potential fighters I know or care much about, and I’ve already got so many characters I don’t play since I like others too much; I don’t need to pay money to not play more characters. Especially now without trophy descriptions, so you can't really get the lore of the characters in game. Still, I’m definitely ready with my wallet if I do see something I like. But if they make my dreams come true here...

Man, now I need to add Morrowind to my list of games to replay, and I still need to redo Skyrim as well. I was a bit disappointed that they didn’t remaster Morrowind when they did the Morrowind chapter for ESO, but at least we got it free last month.

But if that next character datamine leak/rumor from a few months ago is true, that’d make a great trailer for E3. Can you imagine them showing off the big dragon JRPG meeting the big dragon WRPG?

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, this is ProspectorWeejus from before (lost the password from my old account and didn't care enough to get it back since it was kind of a throwaway in the first place lol). Just wanted to let you know that I had my moveset from the Google Doc I previously posted here commissioned and I thought I'd let you see the final results! All credit for this beautiful creation goes to @TKOWL_Art on Twitter!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Hey guys, this is ProspectorWeejus from before (lost the password from my old account and didn't care enough to get it back since it was kind of a throwaway in the first place lol). Just wanted to let you know that I had my moveset from the Google Doc I previously posted here commissioned and I thought I'd let you see the final results! All credit for this beautiful creation goes to @TKOWL_Art on Twitter!

That's some beautiful work. His specials really spark accuracy and that up throw. Haha

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Count me in as a supporter! As a huge Elder Scrolls fan I would love to see Skyrim content get into Smash, along with some Morrowind and Oblivion as well! and BreadnJamTomorrow BreadnJamTomorrow that moveset concept as fantastic! Poor Kirby xD

Also, in all honesty, people are really sleeping hard on the Dragonborn. I know there are a lot of Doom fans out there and it does have a longer legacy with Nintendo, but as a Bethesda rep the Dragonborn makes much more sense for representing the company for several reasons, plus it fits better into the collaboration between them and Nintendo:

- The Elder Scrolls is Bethesda's home grown franchise that put them on the map and made them so successful - Doom was an acquired IP in 2009. Doom is still developed by the acquired iD Software while TES is developed by their own Bethesda Game Studios.

- Skyrim is the first Western RPG to gain a perfect score on Famitsu

- Skyrim was featured heavily in the Switch's reveal trailer.

- Breath of the Wild took great inspiration from Skyrim.

- Skyrim for Switch featured custom Breath of the Wild items, and added a new eye option for Bosmer to help players (supposedly) make Link lookalikes.

- Skyrim (and Oblivion as well) are much much more popular in Japan than Doom (though it still has its' fans there), Skyrim even features a Japanese dub for character dialogue!

- Paarthurnax the dragon is voiced by Charles Martinet

- Overall, Skyrim feels more "integrated" into the collaboration with the Skyrim/BOTW mixing.

I know much of this has been said before, but I wanted to reiterate why I believe that the Dragonborn would be a better representative for Bethesda as a company than Doom would, even if Doom has the longer legacy. Plus they wouldn't need to tone down the Dragonborn nearly as much if at all. Still, we'll have to see what happens, and I'm excited for what the future holds either way! Staying positive!

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I actually just realized BOTW was inspired from Skyrim. Dragonborn isn't exactly slept on, just many aren't interested in the character, mainly since he's considered a "default" character.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I actually just realized BOTW was inspired from Skyrim. Dragonborn isn't exactly slept on, just many aren't interested in the character, mainly since he's considered a "default" character.
I know, but even then he isn't really mentioned much at all, even in Doomguy chance speculation.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
I think Dragonborn could be pretty hype. Every skin could be a different race and have a unique outfit like Inkling. Not enough alts for EVERY race but leaving out/combining a few of the human races across 2 skins wouldn't be too bad.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Would love to see a red Argonian in Glass Armor as one of the alts, then I could literally play as my main character.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Time to bring more support for the Dragonborn! Decided to make a mockup based on MKHT's template from Twitter. Decided to go for a good mix of Skyrim, Morrowind, and Oblivion with this one!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
My apologies for the triple post. If the Ryu Hayabusa leaks turn out to be true that means we'll likely end up with Doom Slayer as well. Is this the end of the road, friends?

UserKev

Smash Champion
My apologies for the triple post. If the Ryu Hayabusa leaks turn out to be true that means we'll likely end up with Doom Slayer as well. Is this the end of the road, friends?
Dragonborn was never really likely, just he was only potentially likely at still a lower percent.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
It does look like the end of the road if the leaks are true. I was hoping that Dragonborn would have a shot (however small it might be) due to the monumental cultural impact Skyrim had on both the gaming and non-gaming landscapes. But if there's anything that exceeds that in Smash, it's advertising. With Doom Eternal being set to release in November, and the Switch port for Skyrim being old news at this point (not even mentioning that the TES VI probably won't be talked about, let alone release, in half a decade), why wouldn't you advertise that with a shiny new character?

Granted, this leaker isn't Vergeben or Gematsu, but he has been correct in the past. So for me personally, I'm treating it like it is real so I can get the disappointment out of the way now so that if it is true, I'll be over it by then, and if it's not, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Then again, Sabi and Verge are doubtful of the leak, and a lot of what the Ryu leaker predicted in the past was common knowledge/popular speculation at that point. His only prediction that's somewhat of an outlier is Piranha Plant.

Even if Switch Skyrim is technically old news, it still feels much more collaborative than a bunch of (initially subpar in the classic trilogy's case) Doom ports (though for Doom fans' sake I'm glad they're fixing them!), plus this year is the 25th anniversary of The Elder Scrolls, and a November release (which is likely if Banjo releases in September) would have Dragonborn release around the 8-year anniversary of his own game. Plus I still don't know why Bethesda wouldn't go with their home grown IP that made them so successful (and who's last two entries induvidually outsold the entire Doom franchise). I know someone could counter that argument with Banjo and Microsoft, but Banjo's been requested for years, it was great publicity to have him in first (Honestly I'm very happy that Banjo's in the game!).

EDIT: More credible leakers are starting to doubt the Hayabusa leak, looks like there's hope after all!

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Terry's in, Hayabusa leak's dead, and we got more fighters! Looks like we're not at the end of the road yet! Though if the bonus DLC characters are more recent fan picks (judging by the fact that Terry's development started recently) I worry that Doomguy may have an edge.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Man, it's been a while since I've posted. I've pretty well been just lurking for a while, but don't worry, I still support the Dragonborn.

tbh I'm not expecting him, but I'm still really hoping that this'll happen...

Skyrim is coming up on 8 years old (!) already, and TES6 looks like it's definitely 2 years away minimum, so I'm in serious need of my Elder Scrolls fix. Gotta say, I got ESO recently, and I'm definitely having a lot of fun with it, even though I hate MMOs with a burning passion. At least it's something.

I'd also love to see multiple race options for the Dragonborn as costumes. I'm playing an Orc in ESO, and I'm really loving it. I guess Argonians/Khajiit may be tough since they'd need a tail bone while the others wouldn't, but any way that gets Dovahkiin would be amazing.

I've pretty well stopped following leaks and taken a really wait-and-see approach with DLC. Personally, I'm not too excited about the current DLC - I've never played any of their games, and tbh I've only really ever herad of BK (who fits amazingly and I really want to get). The others don't really excite me. I guess I'll wait and see what this 'other DLC' is; I'm bummed that Tails got the Mii costume treatment, especially since his looks atrocious while Skull Kid/Sans got incredibly good Miis that really just look like the character straight up.

Besides, I'd still love to see Switch Skyrim put in some mode (now that we have a Ridley amiibo) where you could scan Riddles and fight him as a boss. Great lead in to a trailer, at any rate. And ESO could bring along a new simple quest for fun - fight a series of characters that bear more than a passing resemblance to Smashers and cell the Dovahkiin costume in the crown store again.

Ahh, that's the dream...

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a world to save from Molag Bal
22_A New Beginning.png

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Glad to have you back in the fold! We need all of the support we can get!

I'm glad you've been enjoying ESO! I need to get my Elder Scrolls fix since it'll still be awhile before Beyond Skyrim's next release. Might finally give ESO a try! In the meantime I've been watching Gopher's Skyrim LP with his Richard character.

EDIT: If we can, we should show our support and nominate a Dragonborn rerate in the Rate Their Chances thread. Banjo opened the door for Western characters, and with the Dovahkiin's original ratings in the thread coming during the days of the Grinch Leak, I think he deserves an honest rerate.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
This thread has been awfully quiet lately. How is everybody feeling? Personally, I'm still pretty optimistic. I still sort of feel that Doomguy has the edge as far as Bethesda reps go, but if he does end up making the fighters pass, then that would leave Dragonborn in a great position for future DLC.

With Banjo being added, Western characters seem a whole lot more possible. And with Minecraft and Doom being heavily rumored for Smash...I don't know, I'm just really feeling it right now.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm just worried that Nintendo might not ask for a second Bethesda rep. But I'm still going to be optimistic. Doom Slayer has plenty that he has over Dragonborn but Dragonborn has plenty he has over Doom Slayer. Doom Eternal's upcoming release does put Doom slightly more in favor but likely the negotiations were done before the Doom parade started.

Then again we also should remember that surprises do happen. Everyone excpected Steve and all evidence pointed to him, we ended up getting Banjo. Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Slayer were so heavily thought to be the last two pass characters and we got Terry. This could very well happen again!

Furthermore I learned this recently. Apparently it was Todd Howard's idea to have the Zelda items added to Smash, showing that he does really like Nintendo. So if that's the case then I'm sure he would want to be at the negotiating table when Nintendo went to Bethesda to discuss characters. He seems like the kind of guy who would want one of his characters in the game, and his word does have a lot of power in the industry. Thoughts?

Also imagine the reveal trailer, Link and Dragonborn fighting Rathalos and all of the other Dragon characters together would be super cool!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Had to stop playing ESO for long enough to come back and wish Skyrim a happy 8th birthday!

I haven't really gotten as much time playing with Smash as I used to, but don't worry - the support is still here on my end!

I really don't know what to think in terms of the next DLC character, or any future DLC on top of that. To be honest, I hope they just go all out in the games-as-service model and just keep releasing characters for a while. This is the first Smash that really doesn't care about the number of characters, and with the ordering scheme, we can just add more as they see fit.

And yes, Link and Dovahkiin vs. Rathalos sounds beyond epic. Plus the poitential for a beautiful stage with Jeremy Soule's music? Heck, that doesn't even need to be remixed, just port it in!

Here's also hoping that Bethesda stops stepping on themselves and goes back to making amazing stuff in time for TES6...

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Welcome back! and Happy Birthday to this fantastic game!

I'm sure Bethesda won't have another Fallout 76-esque rollercoaster, especially since Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6 are gonna be single-player games. Still, all we can do is hope. We also have Blades on Switch to look forward to! Its release window is Fall 2019, let's hope they give us an announcement soon.

There's so much potential to work with for a stage! Dragonsreach and Throat of the World are the go-to contenders, but imagine a tour stage that takes you around the province! Alongside the big locations it'd be cool to battle in locations like Blackreach, Solstheim, or even just the various cities! Solitude's view of the Sea of Ghosts is absolutely breathtaking, and would make a great location for pictures!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Dragonborn is one of the most underrated third party picks, hopefully his design is left as it is since Skyrim.

Top Bottom