• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Salem got 3rd in Smash Conference United (out of 360 entrants). Came close against Samsora's Peach but ultimately fell short. A Link player got 9th out of 500+ entrants in SoCal today too.

Link's hitting some big placements in big tournaments this week!

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Salem got 3rd in Smash Conference United (out of 360 entrants). Came close against Samsora's Peach but ultimately fell short. A Link player got 9th out of 500+ entrants in SoCal today too.

Link's hitting some big placements in big tournaments this week!
A lot of people have been talking so much about Young Link lately these days that they've literally been sleeping on BOTW Link. Hopefully Salem's performance with his Link during the Smash Conference United will wake these people up and let them know that Link is just as strong in tournaments as Young Link.

In fact I happened to post the videos of Salem's Link matches during the Smash Conference United on the Link metagame thread
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...k-metagame-thread.465374/page-2#post-22900090

Last edited:

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
I'm finally starting to get comfortable with this Link and getting a bit the hang of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCasKrSwjB0

And I gotta say, it really fun. But my hell match up against pikachu/pichu are still a thing and I still gotta learn other match up like palutina for example, I got bodied meeting my first palu online. And I still not sure what to do against Mario, when he gets close to me I'm not sure how to fend him off. And I was surprise how much scarier it is in Ultimate to fight against a good Ganondorf.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm finally starting to get comfortable with this Link and getting a bit the hang of it.

And I gotta say, it really fun. But my hell match up against pikachu/pichu are still a thing and I still gotta learn other match up like palutina for example, I got bodied meeting my first palu online. And I still not sure what to do against Mario, when he gets close to me I'm not sure how to fend him off. And I was surprise how much scarier it is in Ultimate to fight against a good Ganondorf.
TBH I don't have a lot of experience but can say a few things. Link struggles vs quick rush down characters and Pichu is one of the best. Nair, Utilt and Pivot attacks are good vs opponents who try to smother you. Link's grab is his fastest ground option and has good reward. VS Palutena try to avoid the mid range spacing directly in front of her where explosive flame hits. Ganon's about as fast as Link is so he can be a hard MU. Even in SSB4 when Link outcamped him hard it was only +1 for Link. Now it's probably worse. The big thing you want to avoid is committing to punishable attacks. Keep fending him off and try to gimp him offstage. Ganon's kamikaze flame choke offstage kills him first now so don't worry about it grabbing you if you both have 1 stock left; it's actually a good thing.

Last edited:

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
TBH I don't have a lot of experience but can say a few things. Link struggles vs quick rush down characters and Pichu is one of the best. Nair, Utilt and Pivot attacks are good vs opponents who try to smother you. Link's grab is his fastest ground option and has good reward. VS Palutena try to avoid the mid range spacing directly in front of her where explosive flame hits. Ganon's about as fast as Link is so he can be a hard MU. Even in SSB4 when Link outcamped him hard it was only +1 for Link. Now it's probably worse. The big thing you want to avoid is committing to punishable attacks. Keep fending him off and try to gimp him offstage. Ganon's kamikaze flame choke offstage kills him first now so don't worry about it grabbing you if you both have 1 stock left; it's actually a good thing.
How does pivot attacks works in Ultimate with Link ?

Rizen

Smash Legend
How does pivot attacks works in Ultimate with Link ?
Link's pivot grab is worse (but his grab overall is better) since losing the clawshot. Say the opponent's to the right, dash left and tap the control stick right +A for FSmash/tilt or B for boomerang both work great for stopping approaches. Link's side attacks are slow but with huge range that can occupy the space Link was in.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Link's pivot grab is worse (but his grab overall is better) since losing the clawshot. Say the opponent's to the right, dash left and tap the control stick right +A for FSmash/tilt or B for boomerang both work great for stopping approaches. Link's side attacks are slow but with huge range that can occupy the space Link was in.
Do we know if his f-tilts are safe on non-parries? It seems to have a lot more shield push than it did in 4.

>Titles the video: I suck at Smash Ultimate Online
>Beats the crap out of Roy

Hmmm...
Zeldathinkingemoji.jpg

:p

You're doing good imo. I can't really help you since i haven't played online yet.

Last edited:

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
>Titles the video: I suck at Smash Ultimate Online
>Beats the crap out of Roy

Hmmm...
View attachment 186262

:p

You're doing good imo. I can't really help you since i haven't played online yet.
Lol, thanks ! , I consider myself average at that game. I guess I put his title to make clear I do not think I'm hot **** or anything so I won't get **** on etc.

**Edit: I might add that I was almost playing at my best I can do at that moment, you know when you feel so focus and in the "zone" and everything clicks in your head will playing, I can't consistently play like that yet and it's still tiring me a lot to play Link and being in "TryHard" mode.

I mostly post videos on my Youtube from my Switch micro SD card for me to re-watch or to share with few friend or groups like this since they are heavy in size, I don't to fill the 9-8g remaining on my 16g card with 100mo to 400mo videos.
But I will try to shallow my pride and post some videos where I loss or get demolish

Last edited:

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
Oh ! I already do that for the boomerang and some of the tilts. Since I can't do a proper dash cancel into tilt, d-tilt and u-tilt will always revert backwards I actually use this to my advantage with the U-tilt since it comes out at frame 8 IIRC, from behind.

But the F-Smash it a good thing you talk about it since I'm wondering when to use it ? To me it's more riskier and have less range than F-tilt with more end lag if I whiff, although I do have the second swing that comes out faster and can be delayed a bit but does have even more end lag as a result if I miss or get shielded twice. But may the shield pressure on that is great ? I haven't had the chance to test them out in training mode how much shield stunt Link's moves do and how it looks in game.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Do we know if his f-tilts are safe on non-parries? It seems to have a lot more shield push than it did in 4.
IDK for sure but it's probably safe spaced properly.

Fsmash is usually a high risk, high reward move. It's easiest to land from a pivot but requires a read.

Edit, it really ****es me off top players are putting Link as a top 5 or 3 character when results don't match. Link's good but he has a lot of flaws and counterplay. This kind of misinformation is going to get him nerfed when he doesn't deserve it. But what do I know? I only used Link in live tournaments since brawl while they were playing top tiers to win.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
IDK for sure but it's probably safe spaced properly.

Fsmash is usually a high risk, high reward move. It's easiest to land from a pivot but requires a read.

Edit, it really ****es me off top players are putting Link as a top 5 or 3 character when results don't match. Link's good but he has a lot of flaws and counterplay. This kind of misinformation is going to get him nerfed when he doesn't deserve it. But what do I know? I only used Link in live tournaments since brawl while they were playing top tiers to win.
Yeah, the high Link placings are definitely a bit confusing, especially since I haven't really seen a lot of players like Salem make any notable plays that are especially impressive and unique to Link.

I think Link in his current state has potential moving forward, but I'm really hoping he receives buffs to further improve his long-term potential. Part of the reason Link was so fun to play in Smash 4 was because of how the buffs he got improved his metagame potential (from receiving a down throw that combos very well into his other moves, to having decreased endlag on his grabs, to getting a reliably connecting aerial spin attack). I am hoping that the Link hype sort of dissipates, although I'm not counting on it.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
The lag has been disgusting in this game. They really gotta do something about that.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I admit Link's better than I thought; the nerf to shields really helped him. He feels like an upper mid-tier. His power and space control are really good but he gets gimped easily and struggles when critters invade his bubble. Remote bombs are good but I prefer the old bombs. They're great offstage but with YL I'm getting KO's by throwing a bomb down>Dair from disadvantage and bomb>Usmash. I'll probably end up co-maining Link and YL. Link in royal guard's uniform and YL in midnight blue.

PS
I really hope they don't nerf him :/

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I would like to know if there's a place in the Link forums I could submit 1-2 matchs to be reviewed for advices to help me improve ?

⥊▲⥋

Smash Rookie
Is there any specific forum here for posting findings? I have no idea if some of the stuff I noticed has been reported or not. I looked them up to no avail.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

⥊▲⥋

Smash Rookie
Alright. When I was messing with Link's arrows by z-dropping them I noticed that they have a set duration. When I throw the arrows normally, without prior z-dropping, they flew a good distance. After z-dropping it a couple of times and threw it again, its distance shortened.

Also, I was also able to make Link's remote bombs detonate twice. I waited till the bomb was about to explode on its own for being out for too long. Right when it explodes (or a few frames before explosion) I tried detonating it. The result I got was two detonations.

If what I said has been known for awhile now then pardon my repeat :p

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been playing Darksiders 3. It's fun but not amazing. The main character, Fury, is basically Hela from Thor: Ragnarok. I prefer Death (DS2). So far I've beaten Envy and Wrath.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Placed 5th out of 31 at a local/regional here where I live. Mained only Link. Defeated first by a Tink (his bomb play was insane) and then a Yoshi (always struggled with them).

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've gotten 9th twice out of 40-some people but it was with YL.

Surprise, surprise, the Smash 64 finals were a couple of rats bouncing around for 20 minutes.

I beat Lust in DS3, now it's time for Gluttony. The bosses are demons based off the seven deadly sins. I still have Pride, Doc and Dopey to find :p

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Found this video pop up on my subscriptions on YT.
Lets see what sort of Link highlights that my boi ZeRo has to show us.

Placed 5th out of 31 at a local/regional here where I live. Mained only Link. Defeated first by a Tink (his bomb play was insane) and then a Yoshi (always struggled with them).
I've gotten 9th twice out of 40-some people but it was with YL.
Congratulations!

Here's some video to review and give me tips. I'm already aware of some of my issues but I would really appreciate the board's take on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbpQpdhMpTc&t=53s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFlV4SwQGLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Zdzu5sAu0
I'm not an expert but i think you're good overall. A few things that i noticed:

1. You throw a lot of moves around, i think it opens opportunities to punish ending lag on your moves especially against a fast opponent like YLink. Maybe try to be more patient by shielding, moving away from your opponents in order to get a good read and to be the one who punishes. In certain matchups you can't outspeed your opponent so you need to adopt a more 'bait & punish' style of play imo.

2. Short hop Nair is a very good tool in neutral, one of Link's best moves imo, maybe you should use it more. I saw you used it a few times and it created opportunities almost every time, it can easily combo into other moves depending on the opponent %, plus it has a big, constant hitbox and fairly low landing lag so it's safe to use in many situations. Make use of the 3 frames jumpsquat to jump in or jump out depending on the situation, by being in the air most of the time you can quickly use Nair or Fair whenever there's an opening.

That's only my opinions based on what i know so take this with a grain of salt of course.

Found this video pop up on my subscriptions on YT.
Lets see what sort of Link highlights that my boi ZeRo has to show us.
lol, he should stick to Cloud, that Wii Fit Trainer gave him hell and he just barely won against Kirby :p

Last edited:

CBQuinn

Smash Rookie
Here's some video to review and give me tips. I'm already aware of some of my issues but I would really appreciate the board's take on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbpQpdhMpTc&t=53s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFlV4SwQGLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Zdzu5sAu0
One thing I noticed is that anytime you are above someone you try to go for dair. That’s a really punishable habit you’re going to want to break. If the opponent knows that coming it’s very easy to bait out.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have to miss weeklies tonight. It's going to be 0 degrees f and I'd have to walk home a mile. :urg:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^I'm in a relatively small town and it's really hard to get a cab at 10:30 at night, which is usually when I'm knocked out of the bracket.

I beat Gluttony btw.

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
I figured three big weakness that I could start work on my link right away.

1. I'm relying on shield too much and I'm very uncomfortable out of shield or on platforms.

2. Like a dude said I blew up my bomb too early instead of pressuring and also I stilln have previous Link bomb drawing instinct when I'm pressured in the air.

3. Movement. Still not comfortable it short up and precise movment. It holding me back way more than I thought.

BONUS POINT
4. I'm reall uncomfortable with nair I tend to whiff into fair. And it feel veryb uncomfortable out of shield against small characters

Rizen

Smash Legend
Something weird happened and voice audio on videos like youtube was muffled but other music wasn't. I tried several things like updating my audio drivers from the device manager and uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe flash player. Finally I reset my firefox browser and it seems to be working normally, for now...

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
So... watched the Link's Awakening remake trailer and I am so pumped. First Zelda i ever played was Link's Awakening on the Gameboy Color. Never got to beat it but now I finally can! I love the style they're going for too. Nintendo seriously knows their art man... cant wait for Dragon Quest XI S either. Never got around to playing one despite how praised the series is.

On that subject, OoT Remake when?!

Rizen

Smash Legend
So... watched the Link's Awakening remake trailer and I am so pumped. First Zelda i ever played was Link's Awakening on the Gameboy Color. Never got to beat it but now I finally can! I love the style they're going for too. Nintendo seriously knows their art man... cant wait for Dragon Quest XI S either. Never got around to playing one despite how praised the series is.

On that subject, OoT Remake when?!
OoT's already been remade on the 3DS.

I had LA on the original GB.

My computer's still screwing up. I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
OoT's already been remade on the 3DS.

I had LA on the original GB.

My computer's still screwing up. I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow.
Yeah I think I had the directors cut or something for the GBC. Never got past the first or second dungeon lol

Rizen

Smash Legend
Here's my Darksiders 3 review.

The new LA trailer looks cool but I've played the game so much that my original gameboy cartridge stopped being able to save data. IDK if I'll get the remake.

I got 7th of 47 at a weekly tournament :).

Top Bottom