• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There are already more new characters than characters in the starting roster of SSB64.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
Inklings. Daisy. Ridley. Simon. Richter. Dark Samus. Chrom. King K. Rool. Hatred incarnate. Isabelle.
That's nine characters, while Smash 64 only had eight starters. :mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64: And Sakurai said there WEREN'T gonna be that many characters!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
In all fairness, echo fighters don't take nearly as many development resources. We may have more new characters, but we have less unique characters (Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K.Rool, Isabelle).

If you think of "fewer characters" as "fewer movesets" we certainly don't have that many of them. Not that I'm complaining, Everyone is Here is an impressive enough tagline on its own.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, exactly what Zachmac said. If you only count those who have actual unique movesets then you only have 5 unique newcomers so far. Meaning we'll need 3 more to break even with Smash 64's starting roster. You could even cheat that a little and consider Isabelle only half a unique character since she does share several moves with Villager, which leaves us with 4, or 4.5 unique newcomers.

I still prefer to see it your way though TC, as a new character is a new character. Course I would prefer more new movesets, but we already have so many unique movesets in the game, and I like looking at all the characters we have rather than just movesets. And even small changes to a moveset can make a world of difference.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It would be pretty interesting if the roster amount goes up to 72 (when the Echo Fighters are excluded). And while this likely won't be happening, it would be one heck of a shocker if the final newcomer turned out to be Toad.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Yeah, exactly what Zachmac said. If you only count those who have actual unique movesets then you only have 5 unique newcomers so far. Meaning we'll need 3 more to break even with Smash 64's starting roster. You could even cheat that a little and consider Isabelle only half a unique character since she does share several moves with Villager, which leaves us with 4, or 4.5 unique newcomers.

I still prefer to see it your way though TC, as a new character is a new character. Course I would prefer more new movesets, but we already have so many unique movesets in the game, and I like looking at all the characters we have rather than just movesets. And even small changes to a moveset can make a world of difference.
Agreed. Look at :foxmelee: and :falcomelee: in Melee. They have the exact same flippin' moveset, but the differences in their stats (Fox has better speed, Falco has better jumping, and a whole lot of other smaller differences) and move properties (Blasters, Smash attack power, Reflector knockback angle, etc). result in them having wildly different playstyles. Actually, pretty much all of the Melee clones (with the arguable exception of :drmario:) have enough differences in their stats and properties to feel like they play quite differently from their originals. This is why I think the Echoes of Ultimate are underwhelming outside of :ultlucina: and :ultchrom: — they don't have enough alterations to their stats or move properties to really feel like they have different playstyles.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Agreed. Look at :foxmelee: and :falcomelee: in Melee. They have the exact same flippin' moveset, but the differences in their stats (Fox has better speed, Falco has better jumping, and a whole lot of other smaller differences) and move properties (Blasters, Smash attack power, Reflector knockback angle, etc). result in them having wildly different playstyles. Actually, pretty much all of the Melee clones (with the arguable exception of :drmario:) have enough differences in their stats and properties to feel like they play quite differently from their originals. This is why I think the Echoes of Ultimate are underwhelming outside of :ultlucina: and :ultchrom: — they don't have enough alterations to their stats or move properties to really feel like they have different playstyles.
You consider Lucina different enough?

And the way I understand it, Samus isn't as floaty as she once was, and Dark Samus may have her old floatiness giving them different physics. So there's that.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You consider Lucina different enough?

And the way I understand it, Samus isn't as floaty as she once was, and Dark Samus may have her old floatiness giving them different physics. So there's that.
Lucina actually has different properties on her moves (the lack of sweetspots and sourspots).

Arthur97

Smash Master
Lucina actually has different properties on her moves (the lack of sweetspots and sourspots).
If only they kept up Brawl's tradition of decloning.

Anywho, those differences don't really affect her gameplay much if at all, but we don't know if the new echoes will be more Lucina or Dark Pit as it stands.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If only they kept up Brawl's tradition of decloning.

Anywho, those differences don't really affect her gameplay much if at all, but we don't know if the new echoes will be more Lucina or Dark Pit as it stands.
KO potency is affected by the lack of sweetspots though. Because Lucina's sword is balanced with its damage output and knockback statistics, it's not able to KO fighters as quickly as Marth's sweetspot hits.

Arthur97

Smash Master
KO potency is affected by the lack of sweetspots though. Because Lucina's sword is balanced with its damage output and knockback statistics, it's not able to KO fighters as quickly as Marth's sweetspot hits.
So you play like Marth, but less effective, yay.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So you play like Marth, but less effective, yay.
At least Lucina doesn't have to worry about spacing when using her attacks. Marth has to hit with the blade tip (which has low priority when compared to the blade sourspots), as all the other hitboxes are usually rather weak in the knockback department.

Arthur97

Smash Master
At least Lucina doesn't have to worry about spacing when using her attacks. Marth has to hit with the blade tip (which has low priority when compared to the blade sourspots), as all the other hitboxes are usually rather weak in the knockback department.
I mean, even character bias aside, I'd rather use Lucina's hitboxes over Marth's since I can't land them well, but on the high level, that doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Guess in that regard it's a good thing I'm not a high level player.

I also like Roy's better. His just seem easier to land so that could be a detriment to Chrom for me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I also like Roy's better. His just seem easier to land so that could be a detriment to Chrom for me.
Roy's reverse sweetspot does need to be worked on though, since based on his Smash 3DS / Wii U script data, the sword hitboxes just don't fully cover Roy's sword. Also, some of his attacks have bad timing with when their hitboxes will activate, such as the f-smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom