• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
Yeah, whether or not any rumors come true, I've been on the "DLC is inevitable" train for a long time now, especially now given Fire Emblem/NSMB 2/Pikmin 3/Sonic Lost World (with its Yoshi & Zelda levels)/Mario Golf/Mario Kart 8/Hyrule Warriors. Nintendo has been dipping their toes in the water for a long time, and now we're in the trenches.

Personally, I love that it's happening. I'll never understand the perspective many seem to have - that paid DLC is inherently an evil practice. It's a wonderful idea at its core, it's just an easy tactic to abuse. Fortunately Nintendo has been very smart and generous with it for the most part, and with a base roster of ~50 characters as it is - and with the next Smash likely several years away - I'm more than willing to pay for extra. Of course free DLC would be nice, but developers have to put food on the table just like the rest of us. Not that you said any of this though, just something general I wanted to get off my chest.

On topic, my prediction (and I'm purely guessing here) is that there will indeed be a few extra characters in the Wii U version, and that they'll come to 3DS as DLC a short while later - maybe a couple months down the line. Let 3DS players pre-order the DLC through an in-game shop and let them know that they could have them right now if they only had a Wii U. With the Wii U selling poorly to the general public, now is the time to get all those millions of Smash-playing 3DS owners on board. That's their most promising expansion base, and what better way to entice them?

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Even if both version get the same # of characters the Wii U version deserves to be the surperior of the two. Im not gonna pay 100 dollars for just HD graphics and a Gamecube controller port (make that 400 $ since I dont own a Wii U yet). Im confindent that even though there might not be a new character or Dlc confirmation tomorrow that their will be some convincing exclusive content.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yeah, whether or not any rumors come true, I've been on the "DLC is inevitable" train for a long time now, especially now given Fire Emblem/NSMB 2/Pikmin 3/Sonic Lost World (with its Yoshi & Zelda levels)/Mario Golf/Mario Kart 8/Hyrule Warriors. Nintendo has been dipping their toes in the water for a long time, and now we're in the trenches.

Personally, I love that it's happening. I'll never understand the perspective many seem to have - that paid DLC is inherently an evil practice. It's a wonderful idea at its core, it's just an easy tactic to abuse. Fortunately Nintendo has been very smart and generous with it for the most part, and with a base roster of ~50 characters as it is - and with the next Smash likely several years away - I'm more than willing to pay for extra. Of course free DLC would be nice, but developers have to put food on the table just like the rest of us. Not that you said any of this though, just something general I wanted to get off my chest.

On topic, my prediction (and I'm purely guessing here) is that there will indeed be a few extra characters in the Wii U version, and that they'll come to 3DS as DLC a short while later - maybe a couple months down the line. Let 3DS players pre-order the DLC through an in-game shop and let them know that they could have them right now if they only had a Wii U. With the Wii U selling poorly to the general public, now is the time to get all those millions of Smash-playing 3DS owners on board. That's their most promising expansion base, and what better way to entice them?
Just a question: Why does it have to be new characters? That sort of implies that the fanbase (or just many of hard core fans) only ca are about 1-3 characters over everything else in the game.

While you,re theory could be correct, Sakurai did say he was keeping rosters equal. With that in mind, if there are new characters, I think it's more likely to be DLC for both versions, then the Wii U starting out with them. But that's just me, you could end up being totally right though.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Just a question: Why does it have to be new characters? That sort of implies that the fanbase (or just many of hard core fans) only ca are about 1-3 characters over everything else in the game.
Well, yeah. Characters have been the most featured part of advertising the game. Why? Because it's what sells the game and gets people excited. The WiiU can seriously use that extra boost. Yes, the other things help, but the new characters help too.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Even though Sak-Man said both versions will have same roster, Nintendo DOES have the final say. That being said, if Nintendo wants to have extra characters on the Wii U, Sak-Man has to make it happen.

This is just the marketing point of view.

D

Deleted member

So as not to be disappointed yet again, I'm predicting that during the direct we will learn about new modes and features of the Wii U version mostly. Ridley will be mentioned as a stage boss on Pyrosphere, there will be utter silence on the topic of Mewtwo, and the direct will end with a trailer revealing Duck Hunt and another known character, like Ness or something.

Because that's good enough, right?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I doubt Mewtwo will be noted, unless he's already planned DLC and he wants to say DLC will happen. I'm not going to assume anything on Ridley at this point. Stage Hazard, Playable, Assist Trophy, Single Player Mode Boss, DLC character(playable means right away, to note). Every single one of those is possible.

Honestly, if any characters are going to show up on the Wii U and be immediate 3DS DLC(meaning they are definitely not exclusives in this case no matter how you argue it), this is the perfect time to give them a trailer. That said, I really can't wait to see who else appears in the Duck Hunt trailer, including NPC's via Assist Trophies or whatever. I hope Bowser Jr. has Dr. Mario show up~

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
If Ridley shows up as a Pyrosphere boss, then that perfectly debunk Spainkiller's leaks for sure.
Also I don't think Sakurai's gonna reveal any DLCs at this point. It sounds too early and I think he'll introduce it after next year's new year or someday. Although Hyrule Warriors were introduced before release, MK8's was introduced very later, so they might do the same thing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Ridley shows up as a Pyrosphere boss, then that perfectly debunk Spainkiller's leaks for sure.
Also I don't think Sakurai's gonna reveal any DLCs at this point. It sounds too early and I think he'll introduce it after next year's new year or someday. Although Hyrule Warriors were introduced before release, MK8's was introduced very later, so they might do the same thing.
Mercedes DLC was shown off super early, especially for the US release. So not really. Yes, it was free, but it was definitely announced DLC regardless. Not super hype-worthy, but it did show us DLC was happening, and everybody who thought it would mean bigger DLC was coming was right.

As of now, we got a Mode and a Patch for DLC. Which both did get announced too. The more notable DLC(Characters, Stages, regular Mode changes like, say, bringing back Coin mode) will give a lot of hype, I'm sure. They should probably tell us of more Modes or Stages at least for DLC if there is any. While characters are the most hype-worthy, they're probably not anywhere close to finished or may not much be worked on, thus can't show any off.

Did Spainkiller outright say he wouldn't be a hazard? That does matter. It's still possible he's a hazard and playable without DLC(I'm not holding my breath for it regardless), so we can't count that out till the game releases and he's possibly not playable at all.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Well, yeah. Characters have been the most featured part of advertising the game. Why? Because it's what sells the game and gets people excited. The WiiU can seriously use that extra boost. Yes, the other things help, but the new characters help too.
Fair enough. Just sort of sad to me that 1-2 characters is all a portion of the fanbase cares about. Still, that is understandable. However, I wouldn't guarantee that new characters will be confirmed.

So as not to be disappointed yet again, I'm predicting that during the direct we will learn about new modes and features of the Wii U version mostly. Ridley will be mentioned as a stage boss on Pyrosphere, there will be utter silence on the topic of Mewtwo, and the direct will end with a trailer revealing Duck Hunt and another known character, like Ness or something.

Because that's good enough, right?
Like HyperFalcon said, if Mewtwo is in, I would expect at most there to be a hint that DLC/new characters will be added. Other than that, I highly doubt he'd be brought up anyway.

Mercedes DLC was shown off super early, especially for the US release. So not really. Yes, it was free, but it was definitely announced DLC regardless. Not super hype-worthy, but it did show us DLC was happening, and everybody who thought it would mean bigger DLC was coming was right.

As of now, we got a Mode and a Patch for DLC. Which both did get announced too. The more notable DLC(Characters, Stages, regular Mode changes like, say, bringing back Coin mode) will give a lot of hype, I'm sure. They should probably tell us of more Modes or Stages at least for DLC if there is any. While characters are the most hype-worthy, they're probably not anywhere close to finished or may not much be worked on, thus can't show any off.

Did Spainkiller outright say he wouldn't be a hazard? That does matter. It's still possible he's a hazard and playable without DLC(I'm holding my breath for it regardless), so we can't count that out till the game releases and he's possibly not playable at all.
Too true. Though even if Ridley's role isn't revealed in the direct later today, I wouldn't say that it would point towards him being playable. On the other hand, while characters would be the most hype-worthy, are they going to do character DLC? It would be very smart to do so, but at the same time, there's a chance that there won't be characters. However like you said, if they're going to have DLC chardacters, they shouldn't anywhere near done yet.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah. Unless some were started way early, in which case, why weren't they done by regular Wii U release?(to note, that would mean instant 3DS dlc or data transfer). Also, edited my message. I meant I'm not holding my breath for it. XD

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Yeah. Unless some were started way early, in which case, why weren't they done by regular Wii U release?(to note, that would mean instant 3DS dlc or data transfer). Also, edited my message. I meant I'm not holding my breath for it. XD
Well it's all up in the air for now. We'll hopefully find out the answer to most of our curiosities during the direct.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
I don't believe it but I still have the trophy quiz theory
So true. Trophy quiz theory should definitely not be overlooked imo, but if it were true that means Impa would be in and so would Ridley! My brain can't handle this epicness. I really like Impa's Hyrule Warriors design over the skyward sword design though, either way I'm sure she would look dope, but I'm not expecting any more characters I don't want to be let down.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So true. Trophy quiz theory should definitely not be overlooked imo, but if it were true that means Impa would be in and so would Ridley! My brain can't handle this epicness. I really like Impa's Hyrule Warriors design over the skyward sword design though, either way I'm sure she would look dope, but I'm not expecting any more characters I don't want to be let down.
I think both designs are great and fit perfectly with their games, although I do prefer hyrule warriors

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Ladies and gentlemen! I just want to say that, whatever happens come the next three hours... Extra characters or no. It has been an absolute pleasure. *Cue dramatic, emotionally inspiring background music* We are the hype. The hype will live on. Sm4sh is upon us.:chuckle:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Ladies and gentlemen! I just want to say that, whatever happens come the next three hours... Extra characters or no. It has been an absolute pleasure. *Cue dramatic, emotionally inspiring background music* We are the hype. The hype will live on. Sm4sh is upon us.:chuckle:
Of course the hype will live on, no matter what the direct says, DLC is always a possibility with current era Nintendo.

Johnpiece

Smash Rookie

Beautifully said, can't agree with ya more.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For Impa, my favorite designs are Oracle, Old Lady(from the NES games, not her CD-i one), or Hyrule Warriors. I never found her SS or OOT versions all that notable design-wise.

D

Deleted member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee::mewtwomelee:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Congrats to those who wanted Mewtwo. I'm mad it took them over a year to show Ridley as a boss, but my cousin and many other Mewtwo fans get to be happy and it's nice to see they weren't ignored.

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
Congrats to those who wanted Mewtwo. I'm mad it took them over a year to show Ridley as a boss, but my cousin and many other Mewtwo fans get to be happy and it's nice to see they weren't ignored.
I guess they were still deciding what design to go with on him. :/ Sorry you had to wait for that.
I'm so happy I'm gonna throw up!

D

Deleted member

I may or may not have squealed a little bit when I saw Mewtwo's ankle render! Wow. Finally!! Yes!!!! I cannot wait for the game!

However...I own a Wii U, not a 3DS. I really don't want to buy a 3DS or even a $40 3DS game just to play as Mewtwo on the Wii U. Seriously Sakurai?

To be fair, Ridley is a special boss and is about as close to being playable as he ever has been or will be, unless they ever scale him down.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpotterX4

Smash Rookie
Now I understand why all of those leakers thought Ridley was playable. He's about as complex a hazard as the Flying Man and looks freakin' awesome! I'm sad he's not playable, but this is the best alternative besides being an assist Trophy.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Pyrosphere Omega Version confirmed to be the best version of that stage. Not because I'm a Ridley fan (Meh, mainly wanted him because the Ridley fans are less irritating than the detractors) but because it just became more distracting than even Wily's Castle

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Yes mah bois back and I dont even care if I have to wait till next year heck I probably wont have the Wii U until after Christmas anyways.

Effing sucks that Ridley is a boss but im impressed in how they handeled him. Meta Ridley and the fact that his stock icon is the Original from Brawl is a little fishy though.

However since Mewtwo is a Trophy In the 3ds version I wonder if Wolf and Lucas might be possible down the line...

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
You know I recall a leak some time ago that said Ridley was both a hazard, and playable. That when not playing as Ridley he was in fact a boss and that defeating him would have him fighting on your side in the stage, and if someone is playing as him he just doesn't show up on the stage at all. This was months ago, but does anyone remember such a rumor/leak? I'm certain I read this somewhere because at the time I thought defeating Ridley having him join you on the stage sounded nonsensical, but thinking back on the direct I remembered. If anyone knows or seen the rumor I'm talking about I'd love to see the snippet or link of what was posted.

Edit: The fact his icon is from Brawl is rather fishy. Probably means nothing but still.

Edit 2: As for Mewtwo I was watching the direct with my cousin. When they showed the polygonal outline of Mewtwos feet I cursed at the tv and told them he better be playable. "BE firetrucking PLAYABLE!" since my cousin really wanted him back. I was quite happy when they said he would be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You guys. This is one of the happiest days of my life. Smash Bros. 4 be praised, Mewtwo has returned! The render looks really good, too.

This was actually a much better direct than I was expecting. For Ridley fans, I think you could at least appreciate that Ridley is definitely breaking new ground in this game as a highly interactive stage hazard/boss, who can fight by your side (if you pummel him enough)!!! I think there is something here for everyone to like.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Duck Hunt trailer to show off another DLC character? Mewtwo followed Bowser Jr.

Just letting this out there, plus it's weird that Sakurai would tease him like that and not show him.

Last edited:

Black-chestnut

Smash Rookie
You know I recall a leak some time ago that said Ridley was both a hazard, and playable. That when not playing as Ridley he was in fact a boss and that defeating him would have him fighting on your side in the stage, and if someone is playing as him he just doesn't show up on the stage at all. This was months ago, but does anyone remember such a rumor/leak? I'm certain I read this somewhere because at the time I thought defeating Ridley having him join you on the stage sounded nonsensical, but thinking back on the direct I remembered. If anyone knows or seen the rumor I'm talking about I'd love to see the snippet or link of what was posted.

Edit: The fact his icon is from Brawl is rather fishy. Probably means nothing but still.
i remember that leak but cant remember were i seen it

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I barely remember that leak.

I'm happy that this had straight out announced DLC.

As for Ridley, if any NPC would get a playable upgrade via DLC, it's him. They actually would have to fix him up for the 3DS version as well. His Final Smash bieng Meta-Ridley also means they have to still do a bit more work. Like reprogramming it from "too much damage" to "get Smash Ball". That is likely why he wouldn't be DLC right away. Spring 2015 does matter since it could make more DLC characters available, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom