• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "wow, Chrono Characters should be in this" thread

truegrey

Smash Rookie
Chrono Forever (**** you, PS, give me serge!)

*takes a deep breath*

My greatest desire for brawl is Chrono presence, so here's my long-*** post covering it.

The chrono-trigger time shifting stage would be the greatest thing ever.

Unfortunately, the lamest thing about chrono trigger is the protagonist. They fixed it in cross with an AWESOME lead (see my profile pic), but alas - too late - stolen to PS. The other characters rock, but could we really see Nintendo adding multiple characters from the same RPG? Really - I'm asking. Thoughts? EVERY other character rocks. There is no Yufie and Cait-sith.

Here's my pro/con list of whether or not Chrono will be involved. If you have anything to add, hit me.

Positive Clues:
-Yasunori Mitsuda in credits
-Game is more old school than melee
-Game is more fan-pleasing than melee
-3rd Party Charcters confirmed
-Rated 2nd best game of all time this year

Negative Clues:
-There has never been an RPG smash character (FE is tactics, close, but not pure RPG)
-Nintendo likes putting in characters that sell more nintendo swag. there will be no more chrono nintendo games. it's why Ike, lame as he is, won over hector or Lyndis. He's in more games yet to come.
-Japan cares about what Japan thinks, not America. Chrono Trigger is MUCH bigger here than in Japan. I work at TICO (owns Toyota), and we see the same thing there. Even as management, my japanese subordinates (minions) have more sway with the pres. than I do. Same is true for Nintendo, methinks.
-Square-Enix is a greedy horrible spiteful entity. They know that allowing this would help nintendo, therefore their competitors, therefore hurt them in the long run. If chrono comes to brawl, I'd take that as a reasonable sign that SE might be regretting leaving Nin for Sony...

(Why has there not been more discussion of Yasunori Mitsuda's presence? He hasn't been credited with any songs they've released SO far....)

Right then: I sum up with: "Please reward we chrono-fans for our taste with a taste of chrono in Brawl!"

truegrey

Smash Rookie
Plus it sucked...
The game wasn't as good, you're right, but Serge was such a better character than Crono, if for nothing else, because of the weapon.... O_o Come on... Cool Swallow vs generic Katana #8,943,621. Can you imagine a swallow in brawl? Never seen one of those in another game...

Burning Soul

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, and quite honestly i don't give a flying ****.

His name isn't Chrono, its Crono

the game is called chrono trigger, i get that

BUT THE RED HAIRED GUY IS CRONO

You so-called chrono trigger fans should know....

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, and quite honestly i don't give a flying ****.

Someone's got their panties in a bunch... Has it ever occurred to you that the reason his name is "CRONO" in the game is due to the 5 character space limitation for the character names? Point is that this is a negligible gripe, since we KNOW who we're all talking about here...

It's just like all the arguing over the proper spelling of Stafy (vs. Sutafi vs. Starfy): WHO CARES?!

truegrey

Smash Rookie
Phoenix Wright: Devil's Advocate

The game wasn't as good, you're right, but Serge was such a better character than Crono, if for nothing else, because of the weapon.... O_o Come on... Cool Swallow vs generic Katana #8,943,621. Can you imagine a swallow in brawl? Never seen one of those in another game...
Here's my pro/con list of whether or not Chrono will be involved. If you have anything to add, hit me.

Right then: I sum up with: "Please reward we chrono-fans for our taste with a taste of chrono in Brawl!"

when i said chrono, i meant the series :p i used Crono for the guy...

But although I agree with you, It's fun to play devil's advocate:

*clears throat*

"His original name was クロノ. That's Katakana, the Japanese script used for non-traditional names. That translates from romanji (american letters) Chrono, but is retranslated back to Kurono. Now, why didn't they name him Chrono? Is it because they thought his name should be arbitrarily different. Methinks not.... Translators back in the day didn't make such calls.

Note how all old-school games have only 5 slots for names? That's because Japanese script takes up MUCH less characters than American, and they couldn't imagine ANYONE needing more than five. Some japanese programmer translating the game went "frell - it's too long... ah well... they're american - they won't know the difference," and so Crono came into being, a |3astardization of 3 scripts, laziness, and the japanese priority, unknowingly destined to become one of the most known names in American gaming. (Remember: this is the era that brought us "All your base are belong to us.")

So Crono, Chrono, クロノ, Kurono... Call him what you like.... he's still a generic anime character with a generic anime weapon without a single line in the game, surrounded by the most diverse characters, plot, concept, and writing in video-game history."

That was fun, but seriously. It's Crono - get it right, n00btards >:Þ

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
when i said chrono, i meant the series :p i used Crono for the guy...

But although I agree with you, It's fun to play devil's advocate:

*clears throat*

"His original name was クロノ. That's Katakana, the Japanese script used for non-traditional names. That translates from romanji (american letters) Chrono, but is retranslated back to Kurono. Now, why didn't they name him Chrono? Is it because they thought his name should be arbitrarily different. Methinks not.... Translators back in the day didn't make such calls.

Note how all old-school games have only 5 slots for names? That's because Japanese script takes up MUCH less characters than American, and they couldn't imagine ANYONE needing more than five. Some japanese programmer translating the game went "frell - it's too long... ah well... they're american - they won't know the difference," and so Crono came into being, a |3astardization of 3 scripts, laziness, and the japanese priority, unknowingly destined to become one of the most known names in American gaming

So Crono, Chrono, クロノ, Kurono... Call him what you like.... he's still a generic anime character with a generic anime weapon without a single line in the game, surrounded by the most diverse characters, plot, concept, and writing in video-game history."

That was fun, but seriously. It's Crono - get it right, n00btards >:Þ
QTF. That pretty much sums it all up right there.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just read Smash hasn't had an RPG character in it...

Who is Ness, Lucas, all the firggin pokemon...

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
Crono was my favorite character in the game. Only him or Magus should even have a chance of being in smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Frog was my favorite character in the game...

Frog for Brawl!!!

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
The reason why Crono is seen as such a generic character is because they wanted him to be an empty shell of a character.

He's supposed to be as emotionless as possible which would let you take over and feel as though you were stepping in Crono's shoes. He wasn't there to guide you in what to think, he was there so you could make your own decisions and develop your own opinions rather than force you down the story that one has to take.

The only way that they're able to make a character in which you would be the character is by making him an empty canvas. The closest thing he does to talking is laughter and fright, and since both of those are universal, they let him have the closest thing to his own personality.

So, he may look like the most generic spiky haired anime character (**** you Dragonball!!!), but he is easily one of the most colorful.

(Look at Ness, same thing applies... They wanted you to relate to the kid)

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
I think Epoch would make a solid character.

Really though, Ayla would be the funnest to put in I think. Frog, Magus, Lucca!??!? maaaan I like too many characters for this.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Could warp in time and space. Could break dimensions, upset history. FLY.

Yep, SOLID.

I was kidding :p

dr_awesome

Smash Apprentice
I've been a crono trigger supporter for a long time i think crono and frog would be incredible additions but I really don't know how much of a shot they have considering the fact that geno probably has priority for a square spot.

JoshuaAmaron

Smash Cadet
Well, Crono is the only character that I really want in Brawl. I hate square for shutting down Chrono Resurrection. It was looking so good.. Anyways if Crono isn't in then Brawl has nothing for me. :(

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Crono should be in Brawl as a character. Chrono Trigger, to me, had to be one of the best games for the Super Nintendo. I still have my copy today. I also just played the game yesterday. Who doesn't like Crono, Frog, Marle, Robo, Lucca, Magus, and Ayla? They were a crazy team that saved time. Just amazing.

And, who would not like to see Luminaire as a Final Smash for Crono? That would be amazing...

-Leaves to go and dream about Crono in Brawl.-

DSB

Smash Apprentice
Time to bump this masterpiece of a thread. IGN just gave their opinion on Crono's chances in their Smash It Up! feature.

Crono
First Appearance: Chrono Trigger, SNES, 1995
Most Recent Appearance: Final Fantasy Chronicles, PlayStation, 2001

Crono. The silent, heroic protagonist and main character of Chrono Trigger, recognized still today as one of the best role-playing games ever made. Crono was designed by the legendary Akira Toriyama, known too for his work on the Dragon Quest and Dragon Ball series. He's a confident, powerful, incredibly compelling young man who's formed a following of thousands of faithful fans over the years, even though his only real role was in a single game, and even though he never said a word throughout that entire adventure.

Bringing Crono into Brawl would light fanboy's hearts ablaze, as it's been absolutely nonsensical why Square hasn't done more with the Chrono series in recent years. This is a company responsible for remaking the original Final Fantasy something like six different times, but Crono can't be given more of a comeback than a simple PS1 port and a handful of added cutscenes? Well, because of his relative absenteeism for the past several years, bringing a character like Crono into a guest-starring playable role in Smash Bros. could be huge. He could use his considerable skill with a sword and cast lightning-based magic to attack, while his Final Smash could blast the screen with the power of Luminaire. He could additionally make use of the time-traveling concept from his originating game, and creatively use the Gate Key to transport himself around each fighting arena, or transport himself back in time by five seconds as a recovery move. (Think Prince of Persia, rewinding power.) If you couldn't tell already, the concept of Crono excites us. And we're just getting warmed up...

Iris

Smash Ace
I'd like to see Crono in, but I can't see there being multiple slots for Crono characters, so instead I'd like to see him, Marle, and Lucca put into one team like a mix of Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers. Difference being they all have different abilities and the one being controlled by the player can be switched. But they all stay out on the map and can be KOed slightly faster than an Ice Climber.

Either that or at least 3 Crono assist trophies, because my idea seems pretty unlikely.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I've been a crono trigger supporter for a long time i think crono and frog would be incredible additions but I really don't know how much of a shot they have considering the fact that geno probably has priority for a square spot.
Think of it like this. If Geno gets a spot on the Mario spot(Geno would be considered more of a second party character rather than third) then it would mean that Nintendo has to talk to Square-Enix(current name?). Since Crono is a character that is still very popular in the RPG universe, why would Nintendo not bring up something to Square about the character appearing in Brawl? I believe that if Geno was added into Brawl, then it could help Crono's chances a whole lot... :)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm so rooting for Crono!

Here's a proof of my Crono love. :D

default costume

Goku costume

Gohan costume

Glenn costume

Dragon Quest VIII costume

Android 17 costume maybe...

Crorby. :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think this thread needs a Chrono Bump. :p

I thought of his subspace Emmisary story, would focus on him entering a tournament in the Millenia Fair (fighting Gato) and after he beats him, Lucca and Marle cheer him on. When suddenly... Ancient Minister comes in.. steals Lucca's GATE KEY, and runs away, leaving them with the BOMB. :D

Before the bomb explodes, Marle's pendant reacts, and opens a warp gate that sends them to different locations.

After that moment on, you use Crono. Marle and Lucca become ATs.

A: Sword horizontal strikes (Marth rythm)
A Tilt: Sword slash forward
A Down: Sword sweep
A Up: Sword overhead slash

Smash FWD: Double slash (in place, unlike Link's walking slash)
Smash DWN: Mini ground spin slash (similar to Peach, but knocks away)
Smash UP: Hop overhead slash

B: Charge cyclone (you charge strength, like Jiggly's rollout, then you move like Luigi's Tornado)

B Tilt: Lightning (a sparkle indicates where lightning will land. It moves and reacts like Zelda's Din Fire, but basically becomes Pikachu's Thunderbolt when triggered)

B Down: Slash (Sends a shockwave across the ground (similar to Kirby's post UPB, only stronger)

B Up: Spincut (similar to Kirby's UP B except without the beam, and slower rising (but longer) and falling)

Final Smash: LUMINAIRE huge Ultima-like lightning blast.

Taunt: Yawns
Taunt 2: Dances Jurassic Rythm
Taunt 3: Victory Pose (fist shake down)

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
This thread was needing a Crono bump pretty badly. Nice moveset, by the way. I really hope that Crono stands a chance to enter the game as a PC.

JoshuaAmaron

Smash Cadet
Crono is my only dim hope that I will get a character I would really like to main. If not I'll have to main Link since people are saying Ike sucks so bad. -.- Ike was my third choice after Crono and Lyn. Link would be my 4th. I might play Zelda too depending on how I like her.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Bringing out his advantages...

-Not UBER popular (Sakurai wants to avoid these)
-Music composers are IN (Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu)
-Both Square AND Enix character (beats a Chocobo Slime combination, IMO)
-He's being rumored in a lot of sites. Or at least predicted... That's a good sign.
-Been on Nintendo console.

Now the disadvanatages...

-Square Enix LOVES uber-popularity, so they'd go with CLOUD (even with his faint apparition in CoM)
-Composers might've been hired for OTHER projects. Yasunori to represente KOSMOS, and Uematsu just for the main theme.
-Copirights might get in the way... the CT dream team should be together to sign a contract... if they're not too busy in other projects such as Blue Dragon DS or Final Fantasy GazillionXIIXIIIDIIIXI

Top Bottom