• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wolf Vs. ____ Thread

yuo

Smash Cadet
I saw a few wolf matchup threads and figured that we should have an official one. I'm glad to say that wolf is very well equipped compared to most characters in brawl :)

Anyway, it seems wolf is VERY good at punishing, especially with D/Usmash's KO power and Fsmash's range. But im having trouble approaching falco, in particular, without some pain. Anyone else having the same problem?

Ph03n!x-Br

Smash Cadet
What's your problem with Falco? Try to predict the Laser Spamming and reflect it. If he's near, shield.
When he realizes you're reflecting, he'll come to you and you'll have the upper hand in close combat.

yuo

Smash Cadet
This isn't a very official thread...
well i guess i must be the only one who has character specific matchup problems. lighten up.

Falco's SHDL and new shine are killin me and the fact that the shine trips and has good range makes it worse.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Hmm. Well, I've pretty much never fought Falco and the times I've had they sucked. I really wish I could help you man. Just anticipate the shine and duck under or jump over the lasers. They are pretty easy to dodge.

Other than that watch out for the jab and you should be good.

yuo

Smash Cadet
Keitaro "Falco" vs Teh Spamerer "Wolf"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=67B6QX6QkLY

This is from february and there isn't any advanced recovery on wolf's part really, but i noticed a few things.
Opening: Falco SHDL to shine gives him solid projectile offense and defence. Wolf avoids two lasers and retorts with his blaster only to have it reflected back at him.
2:33 - 2:35 so Wolf dthrow doesnt chain, but you are still pretty close to your opponent at low damage. any mindgames?
3:14 Falco chain throw? could be dangerous
3:45 - 3:50 Wolf punishes Falco's shine with Fair from shield. Maybe you can punish it with air to ground combinations?

I think this matchup is pretty even at this point

yuo

Smash Cadet
I haven't had the pleasure of fighting any good metaknight yet, but apparently he's beastly. There's a little bit of info on him in Drack's guide though.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight is indeed frustrating to fight against, and in my opinion he is one of Wolf's tougher matchups. In general I find I do best if I try to play defensively and take advantage of the fact that Meta has no projectile. Dsmash is the best way to KO him due to how light he is. Also, using the shine defensively can help sometimes as it can hit through a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Heres a match that i know most wolf people probably don't really need to worry about because of DK's popularity but watch out for his tilts they are brutal. keep a same distance and look for an opening and get him into the air and stay infront of him when hes in the air because his Bair will beat wolfs fair and bair. You will need mind games with this match up...oh yeah watch out for the super armor punch.

ashark8doom

Smash Rookie
Another Falco vs Wolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM7hjPZ38zA
(sighs) watch the first 18 seconds. I'm finding I have to play much safer against falco now.

Hey I am slowly becoming an expert on fighting Falco (well his style of Falco anyways) as I fight one every single day for hours at a time even. Heres a video from a few days ago, but its dated because we have both improved immensely since then. (lol at the backwards laser in the first few seconds)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yq6dX-MhBG8

The problem is Falco can be played SO many different ways and as Wolf you just have to learn to adapt on the fly. Cat and I have been going at it since last week and it seems like everyday one of us has to up our game to take out the other one. Right now at this moment he has been knocking the hell out of me with his shine when I go for approach and chain grabbing is a problem at low %. Its very frustrating because the shine is like a slap in the face and you can almost see Falco say "Sit down" while he does it. As for the Chain grab unfortunately for wolf being grabbed is easy and even a average falco player can execute it on Wolf at low %, and its probably safe to assume your going to be coming out of that chain grab at 45-50% and the spike at the end is very dangerous, but I have only had it landed on me once. When I'm being chain grabbed I do my best to get away, but when you approach the ledge be ready to move fast away, but in your frenzy be sure you don't fall to far so you can't return.

But im gonna climb down from my soapbox im still kinda venting on Falco after losing 2 matches too him before he went home for the night, and tomorrow I will film a match between us. I will also compose my thoughts a little better on dealing with different styles of Falco and do my best to help out my fellow wolves.

If your having trouble with Falco then it would probably help to say what his style of play is or was.

Sharky

Smash Master
I'd be interested in hearing what you wolf users would do against a R.O.B., other than reflecting projectiles and using lasers of course, like approach-wise.

Punz

Smash Rookie
So is there an official Match up thread for Wolf? I'd like to see which characters are best for punishing him.

rockn&rolln

Smash Rookie
^If you want to know who does best against Wolf I would say the ice climbers, they out camp him and if he gets near them get ready for a huge grab combo, and for the icing on the cake you cant grab them.

Does anyone have some tips against pit players?

yuo

Smash Cadet
Its very frustrating because the shine is like a slap in the face and you can almost see Falco say "Sit down" while he does it.
Haha. My friend will actually say this whenever he lands it. Can the chain be avoided by DI?

@ Rocknrolln
I haven't really played a good Pit but here's something from Drack's Guide:
Pit - "What the heck?"
Don't camp with your blaster as his projectile spam will beat yours every time. Consequently, either you'll have to approach him or just chill with your reflector up until he comes for you. (though he has the same options) His aerials wall of pain better than Brawl Jigglypuff's and he has enough jumps to get all he can out of it. On top if that, his recovery gives him a long period of free motion in the air so if your hit doesn't KO during the hitstun, he'll be coming back for more. He's fast enough that his melee attacks will generally trade evenly with yours, but you have him beat on reach. So space your attacks. Proper spacing of things like your Fsmash and Bair will give you the upper hand. Mix it up with your B moves as well, to keep him guessing. His bow and your shine come out about the same speed so don't let him spam you into bad spacing. Also, don't be afraid to occasionally blaster when he's not expecting it. He outprojectiles you, but that doesn't mean blaster is completely useless against him.

M@v

Subarashii!
From my experiences, Pikachu and Zelda are bad news for wolf.

However, I have noticed wolf is amazing against Marth.

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
So I played a pretty good diddy. I have no idea how to counter bananas tbh. I'm not a slouch I can counter grab them and reflect them and all that, but it never mattered. He always grabbed them no matter what, and he could chain so many moves togeather from a trip. He mixed up grabs and side b's when i tried to reflect or grab etc. He also was good at putting them at key roll spots, and since diddy has higher forward air capability than wolf's forward or backward made it very hard to approach this way. His run speed is much greater to so I couldn't stop the bananas. How do I counter banana combo diddy's?

BTW I'm not a 1 character player, but wolf was my best in general. I actually dominated him first match, but he learned I was weak to bananas and basically starting punishing me, like keeping one in front at almost all times so I can't counter fsmash etc.

Ralucard

Smash Cadet
Anyone have tips against a REALLY good Marth player? =P
got huge problems with my opponent right now, she's excellent at edgeplay, excellent at predicting me and excellent at chaining up combos (it's online though with minimal lag, still it's nearly impossible getting out of her fair-fair <> B combo. Don't call me a noob or somethin, I promise I'm not a noob, I'm facing a pro marth player, and have problems with her. I've beat her sometimes a week ago, but now she's gotten better =P

Ralucard

Smash Cadet
However, I have noticed wolf is amazing against Marth.
ahem... If it wouldn't have been such terrible buttonlag when playing from sweden to america, I would have introduced you to a marth player. And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't say he's amazing against marth after that =P

Ralucard

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna save a replay next time I play against that marth player and put it up on youtube, maybe you guys will be able to help me find a good strategy against her =P

smashking14

Smash Cadet
Anyone have tips against a REALLY good Marth player? =P
got huge problems with my opponent right now, she's excellent at edgeplay, excellent at predicting me and excellent at chaining up combos (it's online though with minimal lag, still it's nearly impossible getting out of her fair-fair <> B combo. Don't call me a noob or somethin, I promise I'm not a noob, I'm facing a pro marth player, and have problems with her. I've beat her sometimes a week ago, but now she's gotten better =P
Ok, you have to remember that the range on wolf's fsmash can hit almost anyone and be out of their range. Also you could just wait untill she takes a swipe at you and spot dodgeit. Then go for a dsmash.

Frank The Tank

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one who's played a good Wario player? I've had some serious problems when playing against him with wolf.

Ralucard

Smash Cadet
Ok, you have to remember that the range on wolf's fsmash can hit almost anyone and be out of their range. Also you could just wait untill she takes a swipe at you and spot dodgeit. Then go for a dsmash.
that's nothing you forget when you're playing wolf ;) though spamming smashes against this player isn't a good idea since she was very good at perfect shielding and well... not only wolf is a great punisher. So i mostly used AAA combos, ftilt, reflector, blaster and fair& bair when she was up in the air, and ofcourse smashes when she was open for a blow ;D

ralucard...
that marth player is a girl
or r u calling the almighty marth a girl?, lol
yes the marth player is a girl, not marth, though he looks very girly ^^'
still, I finally managed to win against her a couple of times now, by relaxing and adding more mindgames with teh reflector, works really well sometimes to follow up with a smash attack after zapping them, though it worked really well for me on shadow moses island, and well maybe it's because marth got great edgeplay, at least she had ;P

Still, she's one of the best players I've met so far but it's always fun playing since there's a real challenge ^^

anyhow, I've that someone nicked Lucien is supposed to be a great Wolf player, does he have an account here on smashboards? Would gladly have a match or two against him ^^

smashking14

Smash Cadet
I don't mean to sound full of myself, but I think I play a pretty mean wolf. So Raculard, if you're up for it, I'll add your fc. Mines by my name.

yuo

Smash Cadet
that's nothing you forget when you're playing wolf ;) though spamming smashes against this player isn't a good idea since she was very good at perfect shielding and well... not only wolf is a great punisher. So i mostly used AAA combos, ftilt, reflector, blaster and fair& bair when she was up in the air, and ofcourse smashes when she was open for a blow ;D

yes the marth player is a girl, not marth, though he looks very girly ^^'
still, I finally managed to win against her a couple of times now, by relaxing and adding more mindgames with teh reflector, works really well sometimes to follow up with a smash attack after zapping them, though it worked really well for me on shadow moses island, and well maybe it's because marth got great edgeplay
Glad that turned out alright. I was getting a little worried. Counter pick ftw lol

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
anyhow, I've that someone nicked Lucien is supposed to be a great Wolf player, does he have an account here on smashboards? Would gladly have a match or two against him ^^
I'm sorry but I dont play online seriously because of the lag. Plus you being in sweden I cant imagine the lag. One more thing, Lucien is my real name

Ralucard

Smash Cadet
what the, hey!? my last post dissapeared :S

ghuh... well short said then, Understand you wont want to play against my since I live in
Sweden, and Lucien, cool name, never heard that before until now ;)
and I look forward for the EU release, maybe then there will pop up tournies here and there in sweden, and then maybe later bigger tournies like RoF.

anyway, does anyone of you guys know any good Wolf player, or good player in general that lives near sweden? I've got one person that I'm struggling with and we're pretty even played, though it wouldn't hurt with a little change now and then ;D

yuo

Smash Cadet
I keep finding myself chaingrabbed due to inconsistent pushback and trying to play 'safe'. What exactly is pushback influenced by? It seems like the later the opponent shields, the greater the amount of push back. but I'm not quite sure.

Top Bottom