• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U The Wii U Release Date

What year do you think the Wii U version will relase?

• Total voters

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I think this could be true, due to Nintendo trying to push the game out around black Friday.

Cloudx128

Smash Cadet
NNID
CloudX128
3DS FC
2509-1803-0127
Definitely not true. They wouldn't release both Pokemon and Smash Bros on the same day. Even if it is different consoles it's still the bigger games for nintendo.

PTSD Espurr

Smash Cadet
I pre-ordered the wii u version on amazon today, and when I was entering the ordering info it said that it was being released December 31st. It's very likely that it's just a placeholder date that amazon put for the hell of it though.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I wonder if it will just come with a Mario Amiibo, or if there will be others bundled with different figures. Probably the former.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I like to hope they will make it at random (you wouldn't know until you open the game box)

Hong

The Strongest
@ Malkior7 Malkior7 , @Smashoperatingbuddy123
Your posts are covering the same content, and have been combined as one. @ Malkior7 Malkior7 's title made more sense and directly assesses that this is not an official statement, so that title has been chosen.

While rumour threads are generally discouraged, information seems to still be coming in for this on my end. I'll see if anything comes of it, because retail information comes to fruition before games release all the time. If anyone works for GameStop and can chime in, that would be great.

In the mean-time, I'm verifying this with someone.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
@ Malkior7 Malkior7 , @Smashoperatingbuddy123
Your posts are covering the same content, and have been combined as one. @ Malkior7 Malkior7 's title made more sense and directly assesses that this is not an official statement, so that title has been chosen.

While rumour threads are generally discouraged, information seems to still be coming in for this on my end. I'll see if anything comes of it, because retail information comes to fruition before games release all the time. If anyone works for GameStop and can chime in, that would be great.

In the mean-time, I'm verifying this with someone.
Well, now my jokingly grammar-rectifying post just makes me look stupid haha.

I could definitely see an Amiibo bundle being released. Nintendo's pulled the same shtick before with giving one thing free, making it addictive as crack, and then reaping in the profits (which they admittedly need right now)

Hong

The Strongest
For those curious, there are a lot of claims that have come out around this time that suggest the same date, and this is what I'm hearing as well.

That said, it can be many people spitting out the same lie all the same, so I'm looking into it.

Edit - If I can't get a first-hand, clear, concise claim, this will be wrapped up. A thread for the release date proper will be suitable when there is an official statement, should that be the case.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
This does bring up an interesting question though:

When exactly is holiday 2014?

Can it be as early as November? Or should we expect a December release for sure?

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Definitely not true. They wouldn't release both Pokemon and Smash Bros on the same day. Even if it is different consoles it's still the bigger games for nintendo.
They released Legend of Zelda: A Link Betwen Worlds, and Super Mario 3D World on the same day... Actually I think they both released on November 21st as well......

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64

Can it be as early as November? Or should we expect a December release for sure?
Actually, due to the craziness of Black Friday (which is now edging into Thursday night, gross) Holiday 2014 could be considered to be around then
.......................................................................................___ ____
Edit: Although, Black Friday is November 28th this year. ] ____|___|
So, my theory kind of deflates in a slow manner from there......_____

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest

Generally as a retail window, late November constitutes as a "holiday" release. Usually between Nov 20-Dec 11 for a product they expect to sell out.

Statements on Nintendo's PR and executives heavily imply the timing between the two releases is not based on the need for development time, and rather just because it's the superior timing for raking in maximum revenue. In that sense, over a months time is enough for Smashers to crave for a home console version after they have had enough of the portable version.

Unless there are production issues with the Wii U version (that is, in-game QA issues such as graphics), then a November release is not impossible. That said, with Pokemon releasing two products, I am sure they are still negotiating it internally to figure out the most optimal timing.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not find anonymous claims of a Gamestop manager to be entirely relevant to be honest. I suppose it is certainly possible as I would assume that an Amiibo would be bundled with the game as it is a fairly significant feature that requires one. But at the same time, that date seems too convenient given the delay of the 3DS version.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I do not find anonymous claims of a Gamestop manager to be entirely relevant to be honest. I suppose it is certainly possible as I would assume that an Amiibo would be bundled with the game as it is a fairly significant feature that requires one. But at the same time, that date seems too convenient given the delay of the 3DS version.
That sounds like the same vibe that I am getting.

Khao

Smash Lord
What I want to see is a Game+Amiibo+GCN controller+GCN Adapter pack.

That'd just be the best.

Especially if you can actually choose the Amiibo.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Ancient Gaming Proverb: Never believe any rumor that comes from someone who works at Gamestop.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This is the most logical date anyway. I recall one interview with a Nintendo rep at E3 (someone high ranking enough to matter) suggested that they wanted the game out before Black Friday. Nintendo's major releases in recent times have always launched on Fridays. This is the last Friday before Black Friday and is probably the single best Friday in the year to release a high profile game. I tend to find "Gamestop Manager" about as credible as "anonymous Gamefaqs poster", but I wouldn't be surprised by this date at all.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Someare expecting Nintendo not to delay the Wii U version when they had to delay the 3DS version? If anything, the Wii U version will be delayed most between the two since the Wii U version deals with HD.

I am not saying it is bad to be hopeful, but realistically speaking Nintendo is not known for not delaying Super Smash Brothers.

Edit: And now I know that it sounds pretty rude....sorry people.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'll say from experience, it's very difficult to leak information when you know the person who told you in confidence would be in trouble if you actually stated your source. It's fully possible that this anonymous "Gamestop manager" has credible information and the article's author believes him or her, but just can't state it as fact for risk of having the leak traced back to that "manager".

Then again, it could also be bull****. We know just as much about the release date after reading that article as we did before it was written. Now we just have something new to talk about.

Cloudx128

Smash Cadet
NNID
CloudX128
3DS FC
2509-1803-0127
They released Legend of Zelda: A Link Betwen Worlds, and Super Mario 3D World on the same day... Actually I think they both released on November 21st as well......
Just looked it up and they did do that for LBW and SM3DW which both came out on the 22nd. So I guess there is precedent. I'm still a bit dubious of it especially with the 3ds version coming out only a month and a half before in English and no sign of the japanese release date for the Wii U

LF2K

Floor Diver
While it may be to soon to say for sure, November 21st is a week before Black Friday. If I'm not mistaken, Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds dropped at the same exact time last year. It's definitely a very plausible date for Smash as well.

rmw6190

Smash Rookie
I'd honestly be surprised if gamestop didnt bundle the wii u with a mario amiibo. Let's be honest the mario one is going to be the most valuable, as it will work in the most games. And Im pretty sure every one at nintendo wants to release the wii u version the week of black friday so they can sell more units. I also hope the game comes out before thanksgiving so I can play with my family around than.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just looked it up and they did do that for LBW and SM3DW which both came out on the 22nd. So I guess there is precedent. I'm still a bit dubious of it especially with the 3ds version coming out only a month and a half before in English and no sign of the japanese release date for the Wii U
More often than not, publishers release their portable and home console versions on the same date as one another. A month and a half separation doesn't seem illogical at all. I've gotten bored of games in way shorter time.

And really, Pokemon and a home console Smash Bros. still appeal to different markets, even if those markets happen to overlap. Both will sell regardless of their release dates crossing over one another.

Hong

The Strongest
So I checked with who I could and there is no confirmation on the Wii U/amiibo bundle.

Of course there can be an executive NDA and something leaked out, as a late November release is possible. Since the article still has value and the discussion was reasonable, I moved the thread into this thread.

Thanks. :)

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
All I hope its late 2014, if early 2015 and by early I mean like sometime in January then thats fine with me too because I cant wait a little longer since I'll have the 3ds version to hold me over....and my other backlog of games lol

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
If it launches on November 21st, that is seven weeks exactly after the 3DS release. Two months seems like enough of a gap between the two, and would make the Japan release probably early November, which seems to make sense.

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
I'm calling Thursday, November 13th. It is before Black Friday and Thanksgiving, and in the middle of the month.Also the day Felix Unger is divorced.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
My guess is 2015 summer, if it does come out this winter I would be ecstatic though.

Edit: Although it's a really good sign that the 3ds version coming out this year, we will know if smash is getting delay if the 3ds gets pushed back.
Well seeing how there is already another smash game coming out in 2015 (Might be an arcade version of the game)
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/07/report-bandai-namco-recruiting-smash-bros-game-coming-2015/
I would say 2014 for sure, they will be cutting it close between releases.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Any other new reports? Getting so hyped if that is really the release.
That's what select retailers have on file and it's on distribution for target Nov 21st, but I'd wait for an official statement. Nintendo still has apt seasons to discern the ideal strategic timing.

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
I know this discussion is about the release date of the Wii U version, but I noticed something about the release date of the 3DS version. Maybe this could somewhat helpful. ^^

It's nothing special really but I noticed that the German page of the official website says something different than the rest of the other languages.
http://www.smashbros.com/de/
It says:
02/10/2014 at retail
03/10/2014 at Nintendo E-Shop.

It is only one day. But that confuses me a bit. lol :p
Maybe Germany gets both versions 1 day early? Idk.

Top Bottom