• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The WFTGD: How About Some Deep Breathing?

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
So I have been looking at a recent popular tech video, dodge cancelling, and how it applies to WFT: http://youtu.be/VmDkNkNPWYY

Honestly, I don’t see dodge cancelling helping too much, since WFT’s can already do a buffered SH dodge and land without any lag. S/he can also go right from SH dodge into a bair, but we’ve known that since day 1.

But it DID get me thinking about possible mixups and setups I can do out of SH Dodge (it’s the SFxT player in me), and I came up with quite a lot. Sorry if everyone knew about these/they don’t work competitively, but I wanted to get some ideas out to contribute and help.

1) SH forward dodge through an opponent
-Cancel bair, comes out quickly and seems to punish D/Fsmashes not expertly timed
-Shield.
-Immediately roll away or through them on landing, seems safe unless rolls have startup frames. Can SS after roll if you baited a smash.
-Throw.
-Maybe crouch/dtilt to avoid some moves? Seems unnecessarily risky.

2)Starting forward, then retreating SH dodge: Might generally bait if you’ve moved through them a few times or they expect an aerial.
-counterpoke: SS, dtilt/smash.
-RCG (my favorite since no one expects a grab from WFT at this distance)
-Bair (have to be facing away at start).

If these two things can work, it’s really hard to tell just in training, then maybe they can make an opponent testy and it will be easier to hit those SH FF nairs from the front to start those big combos. I also think given WFT's non-initiative style, these might work even better on an approaching opponent than one standing still, as we have lots of invincibility and options to work with on these. Not to mention at least my level upclose fighting=rollfests everywhere, and WFT is one of the best at punishing these by finding the right spot and ftilt/smashing both directions.

Don't have a lot of time this week and my execution is kinda bleh compared to others here, but if anyone could try incorporating these a little in their games and let me know if they work/are totally useless, I'd feel like a million bucks.

Last edited:

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
1st: FOW (Ness & Duck Hunt)
2nd: Lycan (Little Mac & Diddy Kong)
3rd: Huanter (King Dedede)
4th: Z (Pickachu, Link & Meta Knight)
5th: BoA (Peach)
6th: Crisspy (Wii Fit Trainer)
7th: Cross (Sheik)
8th: Oron/TheHebrewHammer (G&W)
9th: Bear (Mega Man)
10th: Hidan (?????)
I'm sorry I know I said something really stupid it was late and I just finished with the tourney but yes it's more of I didn't know the match up such as Diddy but I believe there is more to discover with her also it was a weekly Vegas tourney called DVDA.
http://www.twitch.tv/newmetastream/b/580242683
1st matches against Sonic and Pikachu @ 1:41:28-1:50:30
2nd matches against Lil Mac and Diddy @ 2:37:58-2:51:51

Last edited:

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I know this isn't really WFT news but i believe she is tourney viable since a lot of people don't know her matchup.
That's never a good bar to determine tournament viability. Good players will know the matchups they need, top players will know all the matchups and that's really all that matters. WFT is a viable tournament character on her own merits though. I do however think there are a few hard counters we'll need to be ready for (DHD and Villager especiall)

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
What tournament was this? I hope there's some videos of the WFT play that show up.
True one cannot rely on unknown match ups in tournaments, but people have said that a poor knowledge of Rose in Japan helped Luffy secure his Evo title in USFIV this year. I dislike that kind of thinking, but it has some merit.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
It's true that kind of thing happens, but as competitive players we typically expect each other to know our opponents characters as well as we know our own, because relying on the idea that someone might not could easily cost you the match.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
If you didn't already know, WFT can cancel her B & Down-b w/ shield, so it's pretty good in the fact that you can instant aerials OOS. You basically can bait people into approaching by making yourself look open w/ these attacks and punish hardcore. Try it out, and I think it will help w/ her lack of range. On BF, when you're on the ledge, you can drop down upair if they are too close to the ledge. It may seems obvious, but I think it might be helpful for camping the ledge w/ side-b & whatnot. WFT w/ rage + down-b is silly though, lol.

Last edited:

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
I feel like the potential of this character is not going to be fully utilized without a C-Stick.
Reverse Fair approaching seems insane considering her hitboxes. Along with stage gimps using her fair.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
my gosh I feel like this character is going to be so good in the future. despite range she is awesome.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So like,

did I never notice, or did they give tiny 1% damage buffs to deep breath Fsmash, Usmash, BAir, and DAir in 1.0.3? I was messing around with the new version, and saw that. Am I just really blind? Or are these things new. All of these move's strong hit-boxes do 2% more when deep breathing is used instead of 1%.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So like,

did I never notice, or did they give tiny 1% damage buffs to deep breath Fsmash, Usmash, BAir, and DAir in 1.0.3? I was messing around with the new version, and saw that. Am I just really blind? Or are these things new. All of these move's strong hit-boxes do 2% more when deep breathing is used instead of 1%.
There were no character changes in the update.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I think he means fairing away from the opponent so your aiming to hit with the leg.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
I think he means fairing away from the opponent so your aiming to hit with the leg.
Yeah, I usually fight people backward at higher percents.
The back hit of Jab comes out super fast, not much combo potential but a great boxing tool.
Being able to SHBair is another great tool.
Back hit of Ftilt knocks them up and sets up for UAir kills.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Let's see if I did this right.

Name: Gene
Location: Middle Island, the middle of nowhere, Long Island NY
Talents: Illustrator, cooking, professional procrastinator
Likes: Art, culinary, music, working out, cartoons and comics
Dislikes: Ignorance, Bottlehouse Farms Salted Caramel Latte (the ebola of smoothies)
Goals: Get a better art job, start web-comic, stay healthy, get good with WFT
Other facts: I don't know

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
@ GalaxyWaffles GalaxyWaffles It should, but I haven't noticed much change from getting rage in the first place. Maybe all that yoga negates it.

Gene avatar too op.

@ CommanderVimes CommanderVimes I put some crawl focused vids in the video thread for you, since I recall you saying you wanted to see it being used.

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
This character has grown on me, after I played her in a mirror vs Player-3 from my region, I def see the potential. This character is very resource-based, and you have to find ways to get the opponent in the air for heavy juggles/damage. The lack of strong reach seems ok now because her projectiles are so solid. She's like a fireball character from Street Fighter.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Just listened to the British voice clips. My favorite was "Don't let your bottom stick out!"

...It must've been a nightmare reprising all the actors for every language and both genders. :/

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So much data talk in this thread. Isn't this supposed to be the social one? Anyways

Name: Reila
Talents: I have zero talents
Dislikes: People who are too lazy to type the name of things correctly
Goals: To have fun is my only goal in life
Other facts: I like online multiplayer much more than local multiplayer in games

Azew

Smash Lord
Name: Azew
Talents: *Shrug*
Dislikes: DHD, Bowser Jr, and any Fox/Pikachu that spams Neutral B
Goals: Improving at Smash/Art
Other facts: ...

Last edited:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Name: Suavechaser
-Talents: Music Production and Mario Party 2 evo champion.
-Dislikes: Brawl
-Goals: To play WFT the best i can.
-Other facts: I enjoy cereal alot.

Azew

Smash Lord
Has anyone else started playing Wii Fit just because of the Trainer in smash?

The silence is strong with this thread...

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

Not really. I began practicing yoga though, but not because of her, but because my mom is into that stuff...
So much data talk in this thread. Isn't this supposed to be the social one? Anyways
It IS a social, I don't really know why people has been taking it so seriously...
Talents: I have zero talents
Still probably more than I have
-Talents:Mario Party 2 evo champion.
Need videos of that. At least a cool story.

Adding profiles to the OP

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Not really. I began practicing yoga though, but not because of her, but because my mom is into that stuff...
Same here~

It's surprisingly a lot harder than any of the classic exercises I've done. P90x for all the hype it got when it came out wasn't as OMGSOHARD as everyone played it out to be...until the Yoga section. D;

It IS a social, I don't really know why people has been taking it so seriously...
Probably on account of people coming here to ask questions, it sparks serious discussion since we're still learning about the character.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • Name: Saikyoshi
  • Talents: Writing fiction (Currently in a slump, though)
  • Dislikes: Depression
  • Goals: To get a book published and to get through college. And get my hands on a Game & Watch somehow. What? It'll be a neat collectible.
  • Other facts: I have enough eShop games on my 3DS to have paid for at least two more consoles by now.

I'd actually been meaning to get back to my Wii Fit routine for a while now. I started up again yesterday and, well, to say the least, I needed it.

For stress relief, mainly. Somehow I kept my strength and balance – probably because I only stopped playing Wii Fit in the first place due to the college semester beginning and, thus, being dragged around a huge campus for several hours a day.

I even tried one of the Advanced yoga positions for the first time (the Gate, specifically ) and actually pulled it off without... pulling something off.

Last edited:

Azew

Smash Lord
I made something. It's not a very high quality drawing, but it's a thing.

Last edited:

WiiFitBurger

Smash Cadet
Name: WiiFitBurger
-Talents:
Spiking and Soccer
-Dislikes: Smash 64
-Goals: Be more in the competitive scene
-Other facts: Wii fit trainer is my main, Dr. Mario is my secondary

Top Bottom