• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unofficial R.O.B Stage Discussion!

Whynot

Smash Rookie
Because just about every other character forum has one.

Here's a list of all the stages in Brawl, courtesy of the Smashwiki. I've bolded all stages that have tournament viability to my knowledge, but feel free to add any you deem fit. This is just a compilation I've come to after attending a few tournaments.

Brawl Stages

* 75m
* Battlefield
* Bridge of Eldin
* Castle Siege
* Delfino Plaza
* Distant Planet
* Final Destination
* Flat Zone 2
* Frigate Orpheon
* Green Hill Zone
* Halberd
* Hanenbow
* Luigi's Mansion
* Lylat Cruise
* Mario Bros.
* Mario Circuit
* Mushroomy Kingdom
* New Pork City
* Norfair
* PictoChat
* Pirate Ship
* Pokémon Stadium 2
* Port Town Aero Dive
* Rumble Falls
* Shadow Moses Island
* Skyworld
* Smashville
* Spear Pillar
* Summit
* WarioWare
* Yoshi's Island

Melee Stages​

* Big Blue
* Brinstar
* Corneria
* Green Greens
* Jungle Japes
* Onett
* Pokémon Stadium
* Rainbow Cruise
* Temple
* Yoshi's Island

I really don't even know where to begin, and seeing as I'm fairly new to R.O.B myself, I don't exactly know how each of the stage mechanics act in or against his favor. However, I'd like to know, so I was hoping this thread could spur some attention to some much needed R.O.B knowledge for all of us. I'll be editing like mad to get in all the information you guys post for all of us to share.

We might as well start with Battlefield, seeing as it's the first on the list.

And this is where you pros come in.

Brawl Stages

* Battlefield - Not a bad Neutral. Good against smaller characters. Easy USmash through platform. It's not worth a ban unless you're up against an Ike, really.
* Castle Siege - I've only played here once or twice in a tourney match. 1st Stage: Stick a gyro somewhere and you control half the stage. Hah. Try to fight on the right side as it's easier to gimp people on that side with the ledge. 2nd Stage: Camp all day. Gyro's get stopped, but it can't help you like it does on Luigi's since there's no ledges. 3rd Stage: Wide open. Not really flat. The non-flatness can mess with an opponent picking up your gyro. Transition: Flat flat flat open.. Overall? I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't CP either.
* Delfino Plaza - Some transformations have walls. Walls = DTilt infinite. The main platform in the flying mode is horrible. You can come up through it doing some nice combos, but so can other characters making gimping a pain. It's not a horrible stage, but it's not a great stage either.
* Distant Planet - Hard to camp here due to the easy elevation differences. Can't really gimp at all. It's really just not a good stage for ROB. Don't bother banning unless you know the other person is going to CP there.
* Final Destination This is the neutral you want to get against most of the cast. You generally have better options for a CP, but if you're lucky enough to get this as your neutral, praise the neutral deity.
* Frigate Orpheon - ROB's CP against quite a few people. Lack of a ledge on the right side aids gimping. Temp wall for DTilt infinite. Huge blast zones for recovery abuse. When it's upside down, the moving platforms are great for camping. (Re: Overswarm vs Vidjo Match 4 of the most recent grand finals.) It's just really great.
* Halberd - It's not bad, it's not really good. You run into the same problems as Delfino here without the good stage transformations to aid you.
* Hanenbow - This is a nice counterpick versus people with linear recovery. (Read "Zelda.") It's also great for UAir combos. UAir > UAir > UAir > UAir on the rightside is a definite possibility. : ) Nice blast zones too. One of my more common CPs.
* Luigi's Mansion - THE counterpick vs other Projectile heavy characters. There's certain characters you need to avoid picking this against, though. DO NOT PICK against MetaKnight, ZSS, and DK are the only ones I'm never picking this against, I'm sure there's more that I just haven't encountered, though.
* Lylat Cruise - The tilting messes with Gyro and Laser bounces. It's not too hard to recalculate or even use to mess up the opponent, but it's still one more thing to think about. The platforms are great for USmash as even if they shield, they'll be pushed off the side into their tumble animation. Ban against Snake. That's about it.
* Norfair Norfair is weird. If you're playing against a great zoning character, it sucks, if you're playing against someone with small range, it's amazing. Nice UAir combos if the opponent DIs out instead of in. Easy camping when the lava covers the bottom 2 layers. You can fly over the lava wave, but a better option is to let the opponent get into the little safety tube, AIR DODGE the lava wave, and then USmash them until the cave thing starts to open, once it opens, UAir > UAir. Mass damage for great justice. This stage just has a lot of quirks.
* Pirate Ship This stage won't sway a match too much, but it will make things annoying. No gimping, but DAir KOs. No USmash or upward NAir KOs. It's just awkwards. I've had a few snakes bring me there and it's retardedly useful for them. I ban it if I think they'll pick there.
* Smashville Don't let the balkoon distract you, but don't ignore it. Go for it as often as you (safely) can so that the opponent will start to go for it and you can punish. Other than that, it's a good neutral for you.
* Yoshi's Island It's not good, but it's not horrible either. You can use the FlyGuys to make your NAir last even longer. It's hard for people to pick up gyros sometimes.

Melee Stages

* Brinstar - Gimping is nulled. Gyro bounces up and down on the lava forever. People KO you off the top easily. Ban this place against Snake. Avoid it against anyone else. Most characters have better options, but don't be surprised if you get taken here.
* Corneria Avoid like the plague. You can DTilt infinite, but it's not worth the lack of size. Blast zones make it so you can't utilize your recovery and gimping is near pointless. Not to mention low ceilings = baadd.
* Jungle Japes Too good for ROB. Camp all day, don't die off the top, water gimps, the lit goes on.
* Pokémon Stadium - The main platform is good for ROB. Big, open, tiny platforms. Thing is though, most of the transformations cluster you up with your opponent. Not something you want to be forced into. The windmill is great for DSmash spam but you need to know who has better spamming options down there (MK's tornado is one of them) and avoid the place if if the opponent has a move as such. The Rock formation is really cramped. What I find to be the best place is all the way to the left and just camp there by throwing your gyro straight up when they come close. If they get around that, then you have the disjointedness of your UAir, UTilt, and USmash to fall back on. Fire stage stay on the right side and you have something a bit smaller than smashville to work your camping on. Also have a wall. The other forms aren't much to worry about.
* Rainbow Cruise - ****ing wonderful against people with a poor or predictable recovery. Snake? Too easy. So long as you play a good game of keep away, this stage is great.

That should be a good start.

Edit: I did my homework and searched around for an already existing thread like this and didn't seem to find one. Could just be my horrible detective skills. My apologies in advance if a discussion regarding stages is in an already pre-existing thread.

Sudai

Stuff here
Brawl Stages

* Battlefield - Not a bad Neutral. Good against smaller characters. Easy USmash through platform. It's not worth a ban unless you're up against an Ike, really.
* Castle Siege - I've only played here once or twice in a tourney match. 1st Stage: Stick a gyro somewhere and you control half the stage. Hah. Try to fight on the right side as it's easier to gimp people on that side with the ledge. 2nd Stage: Camp all day. Gyro's get stopped, but it can't help you like it does on Luigi's since there's no ledges. 3rd Stage: Wide open. Not really flat. The non-flatness can mess with an opponent picking up your gyro. Transition: Flat flat flat open.. Overall? I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't CP either.
* Delfino Plaza - Some transformations have walls. Walls = DTilt infinite. The main platform in the flying mode is horrible. You can come up through it doing some nice combos, but so can other characters making gimping a pain. It's not a horrible stage, but it's not a great stage either.
* Distant Planet - Hard to camp here due to the easy elevation differences. Can't really gimp at all. It's really just not a good stage for ROB. Don't bother banning unless you know the other person is going to CP there.
* Final Destination This is the neutral you want to get against most of the cast. You generally have better options for a CP, but if you're lucky enough to get this as your neutral, praise the neutral deity.
* Frigate Orpheon - ROB's CP against quite a few people. Lack of a ledge on the right side aids gimping. Temp wall for DTilt infinite. Huge blast zones for recovery abuse. When it's upside down, the moving platforms are great for camping. (Re: Overswarm vs Vidjo Match 4 of the most recent grand finals.) It's just really great.
* Halberd - It's not bad, it's not really good. You run into the same problems as Delfino here without the good stage transformations to aid you.
* Hanenbow - This is a nice counterpick versus people with linear recovery. (Read "Zelda.") It's also great for UAir combos. UAir > UAir > UAir > UAir on the rightside is a definite possibility. : ) Nice blast zones too. One of my more common CPs.
* Luigi's Mansion - THE counterpick vs other Projectile heavy characters. There's certain characters you need to avoid picking this against, though. DO NOT PICK against MetaKnight, ZSS, and DK are the only ones I'm never picking this against, I'm sure there's more that I just haven't encountered, though.
* Lylat Cruise - The tilting messes with Gyro and Laser bounces. It's not too hard to recalculate or even use to mess up the opponent, but it's still one more thing to think about. The platforms are great for USmash as even if they shield, they'll be pushed off the side into their tumble animation. Ban against Snake. That's about it.
* Norfair Norfair is weird. If you're playing against a great zoning character, it sucks, if you're playing against someone with small range, it's amazing. Nice UAir combos if the opponent DIs out instead of in. Easy camping when the lava covers the bottom 2 layers. You can fly over the lava wave, but a better option is to let the opponent get into the little safety tube, AIR DODGE the lava wave, and then USmash them until the cave thing starts to open, once it opens, UAir > UAir. Mass damage for great justice. This stage just has a lot of quirks.
* Pirate Ship This stage won't sway a match too much, but it will make things annoying. No gimping, but DAir KOs. No USmash or upward NAir KOs. It's just awkwards. I've had a few snakes bring me there and it's retardedly useful for them. I ban it if I think they'll pick there.
* Smashville Don't let the balkoon distract you, but don't ignore it. Go for it as often as you (safely) can so that the opponent will start to go for it and you can punish. Other than that, it's a good neutral for you.
* Yoshi's Island It's not good, but it's not horrible either. You can use the FlyGuys to make your NAir last even longer. It's hard for people to pick up gyros sometimes.

Melee Stages

* Brinstar - Gimping is nulled. Gyro bounces up and down on the lava forever. People KO you off the top easily. Ban this place against Snake. Avoid it against anyone else. Most characters have better options, but don't be surprised if you get taken here.
* Corneria Avoid like the plague. You can DTilt infinite, but it's not worth the lack of size. Blast zones make it so you can't utilize your recovery and gimping is near pointless. Not to mention low ceilings = baadd.
* Jungle Japes Too good for ROB. Camp all day, don't die off the top, water gimps, the lit goes on.
* Pokémon Stadium - The main platform is good for ROB. Big, open, tiny platforms. Thing is though, most of the transformations cluster you up with your opponent. Not something you want to be forced into. The windmill is great for DSmash spam but you need to know who has better spamming options down there (MK's tornado is one of them) and avoid the place if if the opponent has a move as such. The Rock formation is really cramped. What I find to be the best place is all the way to the left and just camp there by throwing your gyro straight up when they come close. If they get around that, then you have the disjointedness of your UAir, UTilt, and USmash to fall back on. Fire stage stay on the right side and you have something a bit smaller than smashville to work your camping on. Also have a wall. The other forms aren't much to worry about.
* Rainbow Cruise - ****ing wonderful against people with a poor or predictable recovery. Snake? Too easy. So long as you play a good game of keep away, this stage is great.

That should be a good start.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I'd be interested in knowing how you guys handle the windmill and rock forms of PokeStadium 1.

Sudai

Stuff here
I edited my post so it's easier to copy-pasta for Whynot. Here it is though.

The windmill is great for DSmash spam but you need to know who has better spamming options down there (MK's tornado is one of them) and avoid the place if if the opponent has a move as such. The Rock formation is really cramped. What I find to be the best place is all the way to the left and just camp there by throwing your gyro straight up when they come close. If they get around that, then you have the disjointedness of your UAir, UTilt, and USmash to fall back on. Fire stage stay on the right side and you have something a bit smaller than smashville to work your camping on. Also have a wall. The other forms aren't much to worry about.

-Ran

Smash Master
<3 I feel loved. I had counterpicked it against Sudai in the last tournament we had in Baton Rouge. I guess he really, really didn't enjoy the experience vs Snake on it. <3

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I ****ing hate when the acid steals my gyro for like a minute at a time. It's completely different than when your opponent takes it and tries to keep it away from you. I actually love it when people do that. It leaves them very few options if you go all out aggro.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i love lylat on most normal recovery characters (think mario, GaW). The tilting messes with their recovery but does nothing to ROB. you can fly under it easily, u can uair through ledges. platforms work nice. its an awesome stage

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I tried to uair a toon link through the bottom of Lylat once, and he dair spiked me. Gaaaayyyz.

null55

Smash Master
Corneria is legal? I get pestered by Arwings and Wolfens like a bizilion times per match...

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Corneria is legal? I get pestered by Arwings and Wolfens like a bizilion times per match...
This surprised me too. I didn't even notice until about 4 days ago.

Sudai, what is the siginificance of the color coding for the stages?

EDIT: I noticed that it matches the circle on wifi that tells you how good of a connection you and the other person have. Is that it maybe?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The legality of certain stages varies a lot from region to region. For example, Hanenbow, Pirate Ship, and Pictochat are legal here (MD/VA), but Corneria, Luigi's Mansion (**** you plank), and Distant Planet are not.

Ginger

Smash Rookie
I so hate battlefield for ROB matchups. I ban it against snake players. This is their haven. It lets people take advantage of ROB's natural weakness even if you play smart, his bottom and back. it's very hard to land a usmash without being predictable as well, and a lot of characters ability to hit downwards through platforms to punish a predictable usmash hurt

Sudai

Stuff here
Colors are indicative of how well ROB does on the stage (in my opinion, of course). Blue > Green > Yellow > Orange > Red.

Also, not all the stages I mentioned are legal here, I just tried to cover all the stages that might be neutral other places. Like distant planet is banned here, but I know it's playable in MD/VA.

Sudai

Stuff here
Frigate not so good for ROB lol
Look what happens to me on my second stock
Idk if its just with ROB, or the hitbox of the character hitting the cieling or idk but just look this was my worst match . . ever lol
http://allisbrawl.com/video/video.aspx?id=2913
The trick is, don't be on the stage when it flips.

As for banning FD, I'm highly against that in this match-up. It's the only neutral that is extremely good for camping and camping is where ROB's game is against D3. Just make sure your either close to the ledge or there's a gyro close behind you at all times. Gyro > Chain Grab.

Top Bottom