• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Universe and Invoking God(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Saw a lot of debater activity in the PG, so I figured I'd make an equivalent thread here.

The debate is about whether it is logical, simple, and/or necessary to invoke a deity (or deities) for the creation and/or maintenance of the Universe as we know it.

I hold that it is illogical, and that representing it as a "simple" explanation or necessary for the Universe is fallacious and has no grounding.

Run wild.

D

Deleted member

This reminds me of a really interesting talk which Lawrence Krauss gives about how a universe not only can[/U come from nothing, but if you have nothing, something will always be created afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo#t=2m13s

It's pretty long but I guarantee after 10-15 minutes you'll be hooked. It answers the important question of "Why is there something rather than nothing." That's not to say that there aren't any more unanswered questions in this area, but it's definitely a big one.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Ah, yeah, that talk was awesome. Saw it before, but watched it again anyway.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
The debate is about whether it is logical, simple, and/or necessary to invoke a deity (or deities) for the creation and/or maintenance of the Universe as we know it.
It seems that this statement a) Assumes that a deity (or deities) is (are) invoked by logic, simplicity, and necessity. b) Assumes that a transcendent entity that is omniscient, omnipotent, and all-present is privy to the same set of standards as mortal human beings when it comes down to "logic, simplicity, and necessity." c) Assumes that a deity (or deities) is (are) interested in creation and/or maintenance of the Universe as we know it. d) Assumes Universe had to be created/maintained by deity (or deities).

Reaver197

Smash Lord
A) Read again.

B) Nope. You're just assuming the notion of a deity implies those attributes, which I don't think it necessarily has to (or can, for that matter). Part of the subjective and often vacuous nature of the term is that it seems to mean pretty much whatever a particular person/culture feels like it should mean, which is another reason why I feel it is also such an unsatisfactory answer or explanation of anything.

C & D) Ok...? That's kind of the point: that a lot of people seem to feel or assume that is the case.

Were you even trying to argue anything there?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Were you even trying to argue anything there?
No. Just attempting to clarify intention and statements. You can't have a debate if you have trouble discerning the topic. I find that a function/purpose rationale between theology and human need reduces the genuineness of the whole transcendental aspect that most theological beings follow and obey.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Ah, ok. Sorry, misinterpreted the point of that post then. I was just trying to pull some of the on going arguments in the PG's Intelligent Design over to here, so didn't really think to clarify all that deeply.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I see we're going back to things like Loop Theory and No Boundary Proposal again.

Even if these were somehow proven true, it doesn't change much. Seeing how God was never considered to be within time, it's not as His existence us compromised.

In terms of the necessity if Gid, the question still remains, whether a collaboration of complexities (eg. Time and space) can exist together randomly, requiring no prior cause.

I have a metaphysical argument as to why a setof complexbeingscoyd notbe the ultimate reality, but it may be too abstract and hard to understand.

D

Deleted member

I see we're going back to things like Loop Theory and No Boundary Proposal again.

Even if these were somehow proven true, it doesn't change much. Seeing how God was never considered to be within time, it's not as His existence us compromised.

In terms of the necessity if Gid, the question still remains, whether a collaboration of complexities (eg. Time and space) can exist together randomly, requiring no prior cause.

I have a metaphysical argument as to why a setof complexbeingscoyd notbe the ultimate reality, but it may be too abstract and hard to understand.
I'm not sure what you mean by "outside of time" (I've heard it before, but I've never understood it). What are the characteristics of a being outside of time?

Sieguest

Smash Master
I'm not sure what you mean by "outside of time" (I've heard it before, but I've never understood it). What are the characteristics of a being outside of time?
Being outside of time is being independent of time. Pretty much every being on the planet is subject to the ongoing progress of time, with the exception of God. Since God is credited to being the creator of the Universe, it means that time didn't exist when God existed. Time came into existence when God created the universe.

*The explanation is assuming God exists, but I only made that assumption for the sake of the explanation, I'm by no means stating it as an undeniable fact that God exists (Just want to throw that out there before people get at me for making assumptions).

This reminds me of a really interesting talk which Lawrence Krauss gives about how a universe not only can[/U come from nothing, but if you have nothing, something will always be created afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo#t=2m13s

It's pretty long but I guarantee after 10-15 minutes you'll be hooked. It answers the important question of "Why is there something rather than nothing." That's not to say that there aren't any more unanswered questions in this area, but it's definitely a big one.

Man, that video really is getting popular with people, so many people have shown this vid to me so many times. x.x

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
Being outside of time is being independent of time. Pretty much every being on the planet is subject to the ongoing progress of time, with the exception of God. Since God is credited to being the creator of the Universe, it means that time didn't exist when God existed. Time came into existence when God created the universe.

*The explanation is assuming God exists, but I only made that assumption for the sake of the explanation, I'm by no means stating it as an undeniable fact that God exists (Just want to throw that out there before people get at me for making assumptions).
Technically all objects moving at the speed of light (like photons) aren't moving through time...

Time is simply a dimension, like space, that we travel through.

-blazed

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Technically all objects moving at the speed of light (like photons) aren't moving through time...

Time is simply a dimension, like space, that we travel through.

-blazed
Exactly, it's just another principle that was created.

What really interests me though is that Thomas Aquinas said time is merely the medium through which humans (and earthly beings I guess) perceive change. I found that interesting, because I always thought time would precede change.

I think this God debate will be more interesting than the previous ones, simply because we seem to be having an increase in theists in the PG and DH, so it might be more balanced than previous debates.

blazedaces

Smash Lord

What really interests me though is that Thomas Aquinas said time is merely the medium through which humans (and earthly beings I guess) perceive change. I found that interesting, because I always thought time would precede change.

I think this God debate will be more interesting than the previous ones, simply because we seem to be having an increase in theists in the PG and DH, so it might be more balanced than previous debates.
That's only one view of time, though it's a common one amongst philosophers. Unfortunately, evidence shows otherwise. Time is a dimension, which can be bent, skewed, moved through at different paces, etc. If time didn't exist, and only was a way of perceiving change, these things would not be possible.

-blazed

D

Deleted member

Man, that video really is getting popular with people, so many people have shown this vid to me so many times. x.x
I still don't understand what it means to exist "outside of time" though. The idea of functioning outside of time is absurd, because everything that one would do would happen instantaneously. We can only experience our lives by being inside of time, and we have no way of knowing anything about how anything could be experienced outside of time.

That Lawrence Krauss speech is definitely one of my favourites (I've seen videos of him giving it in different places). I usually prefer it if they stick to the science aspect of it, and avoid going into the atheistic portion of it, which thankfully he did for the most part there. I remember first seeing that video right after seeing the one I linked below (called "Imagining the 10th dimension"), and quite frankly my mind was blown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxieS-6WuA

This is related to what I said above. If time is the medium through which humans perceive change (I think I agree with that), what is the medium through which a god can experience or perceive change?

Sieguest

Smash Master
That last exchange sort of confused me. So that I don't go making a mistake in the future when you say that time is a dimension which can be "bent, skewed, moved through at different paces, etc." do you mean that in the way that like a "year" on Earth is 365.25 days and that a "year" on Mercury is like one hundred sixty days. Or that we could relabel what is a "second" or an "hour" and stuff?

I still don't understand what it means to exist "outside of time" though. The idea of functioning outside of time is absurd, because everything that one would do would happen instantaneously. We can only experience our lives by being inside of time, and we have no way of knowing anything about how anything could be experienced outside of time.
You're limiting yourself to within a human scope of time. We're considering the "instance" before the universe was created. There was no concept of time, space or any thing that we call science at that "instance", it was just...God. When God created the universe, then all of these concepts we now acknowledge came into existence. You may say "isn't that 'instance' you refer to a part of time?" but that's still only limiting yourself to a human scope of it. There's not really something we can label the "instance" before the universe is created because there were no concepts to associate with it. (which is why I put quotations around the word).

That Lawrence Krauss speech is definitely one of my favourites (I've seen videos of him giving it in different places). I usually prefer it if they stick to the science aspect of it, and avoid going into the atheistic portion of it, which thankfully he did for the most part there. I remember first seeing that video right after seeing the one I linked below (called "Imagining the 10th dimension"), and quite frankly my mind was blown.
The first time I saw that video was actually on these boards, since then it has popped up in more places where I really wouldn't expect it to be. To be honest I strongly disagree with Krauss (heh, I'm religious), but I have to admit I was really enamored with what he brought forward when I first watched it. (At least after I got past the first ten minutes of snide attacks at Christianity)

D

Deleted member

That last exchange sort of confused me. So that I don't go making a mistake in the future when you say that time is a dimension which can be "bent, skewed, moved through at different paces, etc." do you mean that in the way that like a "year" on Earth is 365.25 days and that a "year" on Mercury is like one hundred sixty days. Or that we could relabel what is a "second" or an "hour" and stuff?
First off, I definitely can't say that I have any advanced or quite honestly even basic knowledge of m-theory. You really have to dive deep into that to even get a slight understanding.

I think what he meant by that was that a being which can move in the 4th dimension can move forward and backwards in time just as we can walk forward and backward in length width, and height. A being which can move in the 5th dimension seems to be (I could be understanding it wrong), is one which can move into different timelines of random chance and free will (if it exists). A being which can move in the 6th dimension can jump from timeline to timeline freely.

The difference between a 5th dimensional and 6th dimensional being is that while a 5th dimensional being can only move forwards and backwards in different timelines, a being in the 6th dimension can walk along "folds" in the 6th dimension and "jump" into any timeline it wants.

Again, I could be wrong about this, and I really don't know enough about it to even say as much as I did. To be honest I regret bringing it up, it doesn't really have to much to do with the current discussion.

Sieguest

Smash Master
First off, I definitely can't say that I have any advanced or quite honestly even basic knowledge of m-theory. You really have to dive deep into that to even get a slight understanding.

I think what he meant by that was that a being which can move in the 4th dimension can move forward and backwards in time just as we can walk forward and backward in length width, and height. A being which can move in the 5th dimension seems to be (I could be understanding it wrong), is one which can move into different timelines of random chance and free will (if it exists). A being which can move in the 6th dimension can jump from timeline to timeline freely.

The difference between a 5th dimensional and 6th dimensional being is that while a 5th dimensional being can only move forwards and backwards in different timelines, a being in the 6th dimension can walk along "folds" in the 6th dimension and "jump" into any timeline it wants.

Again, I could be wrong about this, and I really don't know enough about it to even say as much as I did. To be honest I regret bringing it up, it doesn't really have to much to do with the current discussion.
I see how that could explain how one can move through time at different paces. But how does it explain how time can be bent and skewed? Actually now that I think about it I forgot that time and space are linked. I may have just been really over-complicating it.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
Both of you are... it's exactly what you're referring to... time and space are one and the same. Not only that, but they speed you move through space-time is equal to the speed of light. And furthermore, gravity can even change how quickly you move through time (because gravity bends time and space).

If you move closer to the speed of light, you slow down your movement through time, and vice-versa. Clocks placed farther away from the earth's center will exhibit a difference in the passage of time. The same is true of clocks in planes (since they move faster). The difference in time can be predicted, and when measured matches the prediction exactly. This is what I mean by evidence showing time acts in such a way...

-blazed

D

Deleted member

The "how" of it isn't something that either of us can understand. The video doesn't provide that actual evidence for m-theory, just what it actually states. The actual proofs (if they exist, I don't remember if they do) are extremely complicated. This isn't relating to the actual topic though.

I didn't catch the stuff you put in the previous post before the edit, I'll respond to it here.

You're limiting yourself to within a human scope of time. We're considering the "instance" before the universe was created. There was no concept of time, space or any thing that we call science at that "instance", it was just...God. When God created the universe, then all of these concepts we now acknowledge came into existence. You may say "isn't that 'instance' you refer to a part of time?" but that's still only limiting yourself to a human scope of it. There's not really something we can label the "instance" before the universe is created because there were no concepts to associate with it. (which is why I put quotations around the word).
I hope my sad attempt at creating a quotebox works.

As you said, we have no way of really thinking about instances when there is no space or time, as that is what we have defined it as. You also referred to "before the universe was created". We usually use before to refer to time, but that's obviously not what you meant. You might have just misspoke and used the wrong word so I don't really want to pry into that. Every word we use refers to something in space and time, so how can we possibly know anything about any being which may or may not be outside of it?

The first time I saw that video was actually on these boards, since then it has popped up in more places where I really wouldn't expect it to be. To be honest I strongly disagree with Krauss (heh, I'm religious), but I have to admit I was really enamored with what he brought forward when I first watched it. (At least after I got past the first ten minutes of snide attacks at Christianity)
More than anything the video at least suggests that there is a possibility that something can come out of nothing. Even if he is wrong in that claim, we can see that it at least may be possible that something can come out of nothing, although we may not know how.

I think the quick jokes about religion was mostly for the sake of keeping it entertaining for the crowd (he has to have some jokes), and also because it was at an atheist conference after all.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I still don't understand what it means to exist "outside of time" though. The idea of functioning outside of time is absurd, because everything that one would do would happen instantaneously.
That's why God is considered to be changeless and eternal. That's also where we get the statement "God is act" from, becuase He doesn't move from potentiality to actuality like we do, He is just ocnstant actuality. There is nothing God is yet to do, no motive He is yet to attain etc.

We can only experience our lives by being inside of time, and we have no way of knowing anything about how anything could be experienced outside of time.
It's fairly unintelligible for a human, which only attains knowledge through the mediums of time and space, to conceive of how anything could attain knowledge through alternate mediums. However, it is conceivable that something could exist outside of it, we just can't relaly conceive the specifics of it.

Blazed- What you're saying about time being a dimension etc. doesn't realy change much. The reality is, time has a structure, which is all theists need to argue that it necessitates a prior truth/cause. The issue is metaphysical, not scientific, so the specific properties of time bear no relevance.

D

Deleted member

That's why God is considered to be changeless and eternal. That's also where we get the statement "God is act" from, becuase He doesn't move from potentiality to actuality like we do, He is just ocnstant actuality. There is nothing God is yet to do, no motive He is yet to attain etc.

]It's fairly unintelligible for a human, which only attains knowledge through the mediums of time and space, to conceive of how anything could attain knowledge through alternate mediums. However, it is conceivable that something could exist outside of it, we just can't relaly conceive the specifics of it.
The one thing which is consistent among all definitions of god (I think) is that god created the universe (space and time). We understand creation to be an act which is done at a certain point. For us that point is considered to be in time and space. This implies that there has to be some kind of medium in which time and space were created. However, we have no knowledge of any kind about this medium, nor do we have any evidence of its existence.

EDIT: Sorry, I worded that middle part weirdly. What I meant is that god would have to have created the universe at some point in x, as that is what creation means.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The one thing which is consistent among all definitions of god (I think) is that god created the universe (space and time). We understand creation to be an act which is done at a certain point. For us that point is considered to be in time and space. This implies that there has to be some kind of medium in which time and space were created. However, we have no knowledge of any kind about this medium, nor do we have any evidence of its existence.

EDIT: Sorry, I worded that middle part weirdly. What I meant is that god would have to have created the universe at some point in x, as that is what creation means.
I get what you're saying but that isn't the case. God didn't create the universe at time X, time began when He created the universe.

You're still thinking of God as following a timeline, in that He waited 40 billion years or something like that, and then made the universe, which isn;t the case.

It's really hard to explain, and it's also not completey unintelligble, which isn't helping my cause either. But basically, a lot of metaphysical ltierature would speak of this. I'm sure Aquinas would cover it somehwere.

I feel like I haven't explained it proeprly, but I can't think of a better way to word it at the moment.

Also, you have to look at alternate possibilities. Infinite regess has been shown to be illogical, so time must either be finite, or have a particular structure which necessitates a prior cause.

D

Deleted member

I get what you're saying but that isn't the case. God didn't create the universe at time X, time began when He created the universe.

You're still thinking of God as following a timeline, in that He waited 40 billion years or something like that, and then made the universe, which isn;t the case.

It's really hard to explain, and it's also not completey unintelligble, which isn't helping my cause either. But basically, a lot of metaphysical ltierature would speak of this. I'm sure Aquinas would cover it somehwere.

I feel like I haven't explained it proeprly, but I can't think of a better way to word it at the moment.

Also, you have to look at alternate possibilities. Infinite regess has been shown to be illogical, so time must either be finite, or have a particular structure which necessitates a prior cause.
Oddly enough I think maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post either (it's hard to be clear with these things.

What I was saying is that based on the god theory, god created the universe at some point. Now this point was not in space, nor was it a point in time. However based on our understanding of the word "creation", creation must be at a certain point. Therefore there must be some kind of medium outside of time and space. My statement (I would use the word "point" but that would just be confusing), is that we have no way of knowing what that medium is.

Is there any particular Aquinas book/paper which you recommend?

In response to the last paragraph, it is unfortunately absurd (not in the "stupid" sense, but in the literal sense) for us to think about anything without time. Saying that time is finite (which may well be possible) for us implies that there was a point (not a point in time) at which time didn't exist. Again, we cannot have any understanding of that point, since it does not have a where or a when.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Dre, are you suggesting that an eternal god causally created the universe, before time? Because, I believe that such a thing is impossible for a few reasons.

Firstly, the fact remains that without time to separate cause and effect, causality breaks down. So a causal beginning to the universe in the absence of time doesn't really work. So, a god creating the universe, outside time, violates causality. As creating the universe relies on causality, but such an act would violate causality, there is no possible way for him to create the universe.

Additionally, there is no decent evidence for the existence of a deity that created our universe. The fine-tuned universe argument is flawed at best, while many of the arguments for the existence of god are arguments from ignorance. If the argument that the existence of the universe is evidence for god is put forward, then, that is relatively easily countered. The fact is, that the universe doesn't actually need a god to exist, for there are other ways that the universe could have been brought into being. These are handled in the video that was linked to us by puu.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You guys are assuming that God follows a cause-effect sequence like we do in our universe.

One theory is that God sees all events at once.

Bob, God arguments aren't from ignorance. They say that a physical or contingent being couldn't be the first cause.

Again, anyone who thinks science has anything to do with the God debate doesn't understand the issue. Science has nothing to do with what came before science is concerned with.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I agree that God arguments aren't from ignorance. BUT, they all boil down to the same question:

Well, can SCIENCE explain THIS?!?!?!

Maybe we don't know for sure how event X happened yet, but you can't blame it on science. Why? Because we're not omniscient. We're only human. Expecting scientists to be all-seeing omniscient warlocks is ridiculous.

And, this is, once again, why I hate God debates. "God" has become this strange concept that you can twist and manipulate in any way you want in order to make sure science can't explain it. God is protected by an infinite and impenetrable web of "what-ifs". It's unfalsifiable.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
God(s) arguments are essentially from fiat, from what I can tell.

They tend to start with the assumption that a god must exist then work from that to figure out all sorts of weirdly inordinate attributes to bend all the thus verified knowledge we do have to fit it. Then they jury-rig more attributes to whatever deity this may be to make sure it conforms to the religious precepts that the particular religion has developed about this god.

Then instead of appealing to any sort of evidence or consistent logical structure, there is usually the claims of either "Logic\reason doesn't apply to X god" or some appeal to authority in the form of a holy book or some religious figure that was set up as an authority with no backing up as to why.

Science is about studying the nature of the universe, and discerning the effects and influences it exerts. If there is ostensibly a god or many gods that exerts some level of influence or affects nature, it is perfectly fine for science to make commentary or to lead to conclusions about them. Same with the beginning of the universe, if there is some level of influence that we can discern that affects how the universe is today by virtue of how it started, it is completely within science's purview.

Also, it seems to me that Aquinas' arguments are pretty antiquated and more or less inaccurate or disproved at this point, particularly about the nature of his god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas

I'll readily admit that I have never read in depth any of his books or dissertations, so I'm completely open to being disabused of the notions I've gathered about him. But, from the exposure I have had to his work, it leaves me hardly feeling his views can hold up to the level of sophistication and complexity that the current understanding and debates about cosmology will entail.

D

Deleted member

You guys are assuming that God follows a cause-effect sequence like we do in our universe.

One theory is that God sees all events at once.

Bob, God arguments aren't from ignorance. They say that a physical or contingent being couldn't be the first cause.

Again, anyone who thinks science has anything to do with the God debate doesn't understand the issue. Science has nothing to do with what came before science is concerned with.
Based on what you're saying, all we really can tell about god is what god isn't.

- god doesn't follow a cause-effect sequence
- god doesn't change
- god isn't physical or contingent
- god isn't measurable by science
- (from before) god is not inside of time and space

All of these statements are about what god isn't, not what god is. What are you saying that god is?

Also, it seems that any being which does not exist in time would have its life pass instantaneously, and therefore it would have never existed.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Then how does he achieve anything? How does he create? Creation is a causal process. First you have to cause creation to occur, then the effects become apparent. He's got to participate in the cause-effect sequence when he does anything.

Well, god of the gaps arguments are often from ignorance. They follow much the same recipe; "Science can't adequately explain X, therefore God did it."

I never said anything about science.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Puu- God is not a being.

And who the hell said theists mould their notion of God to make it immune to science?

Modern day theism still holds dear notions of God that were formulated before science was prominent. Several theists subscribe to the metaphysics of the ancient Greeks for goodness sake.

God(s) arguments are essentially from fiat, from what I can tell.

They tend to start with the assumption that a god must exist then work from that to figure out all sorts of weirdly inordinate attributes to bend all the thus verified knowledge we do have to fit it. Then they jury-rig more attributes to whatever deity this may be to make sure it conforms to the religious precepts that the particular religion has developed about this god.

Then instead of appealing to any sort of evidence or consistent logical structure, there is usually the claims of either "Logic\reason doesn't apply to X god" or some appeal to authority in the form of a holy book or some religious figure that was set up as an authority with no backing up as to why.
See, atheists always say this, yet never cite a God argument and demonstrate it.

What God arguments are you familiar with?

I don't mean that in a rude way, but if you're not familair with prominent theistic arguments you can't say "theists start with the assumption .." etc.

Honestly, it seems like most atheists just form these ideals of what God arguments are like, so they're easier to refute.

Seriously, name a respected theistic philosopher or theologian who has actually made the argument from ignorance.

Honestly, the argument that "because science can't answer it, it must be God" is never brouhgt up in any philosophy of religion text book or course, so I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that that's the main theistic argument.

Science is about studying the nature of the universe, and discerning the effects and influences it exerts. If there is ostensibly a god or many gods that exerts some level of influence or affects nature, it is perfectly fine for science to make commentary or to lead to conclusions about them. Same with the beginning of the universe, if there is some level of influence that we can discern that affects how the universe is today by virtue of how it started, it is completely within science's purview.
Regardless, science has no authority on what caused that which science studies.

Also, it seems to me that Aquinas' arguments are pretty antiquated and more or less inaccurate or disproved at this point, particularly about the nature of his god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas
You're talking as if this is the first time you've looked at Aquinas...

Seriously, how can you guys (this goes for everyone) make claims about what all theists assume, when you haven't even read the most prominent God arguments?

And again, all you've made is just general claims without refuting anything specific.

It's no different to me commenting on Laurence Krauss and saying "His theory sounds good at first, but closer inspection reveals several flaws". I've just made a conclusion without any premises, what you guys are doing is no different.

So again, if you want to actually make a point against God, take a God argument and tear it to shreds, instead of just making pointless and misinformed assumptions about the mentality of theists.

I'll readily admit that I have never read in depth any of his books or dissertations, so I'm completely open to being disabused of the notions I've gathered about him. But, from the exposure I have had to his work, it leaves me hardly feeling his views can hold up to the level of sophistication and complexity that the current understanding and debates about cosmology will entail.
Anyone saying Aquinas lacks complexity evidently hasn't read his metaphysics, which mind you, has nothing to do with cosmology

He's pretty much the greatest academic in the history, not just for his quality, but sheer quantity, and how much of his work relates to other bits. You could study him for ten years and still have more to learn about his philosophy, it's just that immense in terms of quantity and compelxity.

Seriously guys, get educated on what you're talking about. I'm not saying become an authority on the subject, because none of us (including myself) ever will be in the time frame of this debate. But at least become informed to the point that you don't throw around common misconceptions of theism, and at least know the promienent theistic arguments first.

D

Deleted member

Puu- God is not a being.

And who the hell said theists mould their notion of God to make it immune to science?

Modern day theism still holds dear notions of God that were formulated before science was prominent. Several theists subscribe to the metaphysics of the ancient Greeks for goodness sake.
Again, saying god isn't a being is again just saying what god isn't. I still don't know what you're saying god is (which makes it very difficult to debate for or against).

I don't think I said anything about theists moulding their notion of god. If so then my bad.

When you say "modern day theism", this seems to be assuming that there is a lot of common ground between different theists regarding their belief in god. This definitely isn't the case.

Referring to what you wrote in response to Reaver, what are the prominent theistic arguments?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion

Well, those people are obviously wrong. I'm talking about people like you. In a million years, when science can explain all the questions you're raising today about the universe, somebody just like you will be arguing that God exists based on some other thing science can't yet explain. The debate will never end, because we can never know everything.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So you think one day science is going to be able to explain metaphysics? That which is beyond the physical?

How will science be able to do experiments in which time and space are removed?

Next you're going to say science will uncover moral truths.

Seriously, I know you love science, but just keep it in your pants, science has its limits too.

Any attempt at using science as an authority on philosophy of religion will be committing a Dawkins- using your status in the scientific community to talk about an issue in which you have no education in the field.

Reaver197

Smash Lord

Honestly, that seems more of an indictment or weakness of theism if they truly haven’t adjusted or changed their views since the ancient Greeks. Truly, the Greeks were greatly influential on Western thought, philosophy, and science, but there were a lot of things they were wrong about too, understandably so though. They just did not have the tools and wealth of knowledge that has been created, honed, and amassed since then.

They were wrong about the elements, geocentrism, and spontaneous generation, just to name a couple of things that are pretty commonly accepted today as being inaccurate to outright wrong.
http://listverse.com/2009/01/19/10-debunked-scientific-beliefs-of-the-past/

There have been a number of discoveries that have been made since then that would require what I would think at least a bit of updating to the notions that the Greeks put forth to keep them accurate with what we currently know.

It also seems a bit wonky to me to use theistic arguments from the Greeks, who were patently using such arguments to prove entirely different kinds of gods than what Christianity would use. However, historically, it makes sense since Christianity did borrow a lot from the religions that existed before it.

See, atheists always say this, yet never cite a God argument and demonstrate it.

What God arguments are you familiar with?

I don't mean that in a rude way, but if you're not familair with prominent theistic arguments you can't say "theists start with the assumption .." etc.

Honestly, it seems like most atheists just form these ideals of what God arguments are like, so they're easier to refute.

Seriously, name a respected theistic philosopher or theologian who has actually made the argument from ignorance.

Honestly, the argument that "because science can't answer it, it must be God" is never brouhgt up in any philosophy of religion text book or course, so I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that that's the main theistic argument.
For my part, my post was made partly in reference to the types of arguments I feel you have generally been putting forth, but I wasn’t making myself very clear it seems.

To be honest, the most common types of arguments that I’ve run into are indeed the “Science can’t explain X, so therefore God did it/exists” or “The Bible says so” kind of thing. Even if not immediately evident or explicitly said, that’s often what it turns into when I’ve talked with other religious people. So, unfortunately, experience has sort of grained into me to expect that sort of underpinning in a lot of theistic arguments, and I’m sure a lot of atheists probably are the same way as a result, at least the American ones.

Partly, I also feel that you are implicated in arguments from ignorance as well, but I really can’t say for sure, since it seems every time before this that I pressed you about your argument, you would never fully explain it, and back off into something else.

However, lets turn to, say, Aquinas’ list of attributes for this god from the Wikipedia page. Is that agreeable to you?

God is simple, without composition of parts, such as body and soul, or matter and form.[66]
God is perfect, lacking nothing. That is, God is distinguished from other beings on account of God's complete actuality.[67]
God is infinite. That is, God is not finite in the ways that created beings are physically, intellectually, and emotionally limited. This infinity is to be distinguished from infinity of size and infinity of number.[68]
God is immutable, incapable of change on the levels of God's essence and character.[69]
God is one, without diversification within God's self. The unity of God is such that God's essence is the same as God's existence. In Aquinas's words, "in itself the proposition 'God exists' is necessarily true, for in it subject and predicate are the same."[70]
It seems to me that to assign such attributes to a deity is going beyond any reasonable or solid foundation. How would you even go about determining the necessity of any of these attributes, or the basis for having them? Let’s say that god even did the one thing that we can all observe: the universe. How does that even allow for logically concluding that this deity even has to have these attributes from that?

Regardless, science has no authority on what caused that which science studies.
If that’s the case, then can the same be said of all logical reasoning? By what basis do you decide what fields of inquiry can or cannot have any say in particular issues?

You're talking as if this is the first time you've looked at Aquinas...

Seriously, how can you guys (this goes for everyone) make claims about what all theists assume, when you haven't even read the most prominent God arguments?

And again, all you've made is just general claims without refuting anything specific.

It's no different to me commenting on Laurence Krauss and saying "His theory sounds good at first, but closer inspection reveals several flaws". I've just made a conclusion without any premises, what you guys are doing is no different.

So again, if you want to actually make a point against God, take a God argument and tear it to shreds, instead of just making pointless and misinformed assumptions about the mentality of theists.
I readily admit I haven’t read much Aquinas, and my exposure to his work is mostly by proxy, which is why I say that I am completely willing to be persuaded to a different opinion upon a more enlightening reading or explanation of his work. Unfortunately, a comprehensive reading of his work will just not be feasible by me in any reasonably short period of time, so I have to rely on what little I do know of him and what I’ve read (criticisms and otherwise) of his work.

What are the prominent God arguments then? I know what kind of arguments I’ve regularly run into, and your approach is certainly not like any of them (for better or for worse). It seems you have a completely different expectation of what kinds of God arguments are put forth, versus what actually seems to be the majority that are out there.

Then what specific arguments would you say there are? It seems either we are taking arguments that either not prominent, or are just straw-manning theists’ position, in your opinion.

It seems your arguments have very little coherence to them, if not due to the fact that you never really supply reasoning or references for them, or just throw out “theories” about things like “God seeing all events at once” without the slightest inkling for why anyone would arrive at that position. It makes it very difficult to talk about a specific argument when you hold discourse in such fashion.

You are perfectly able to say that about Krauss’ lecture. I don’t know why you could not or should not be able to. People would just inquire as to specifically why you feel there are flaws, and what they are. It’s not really a conclusion, it’s more a personal observation.

The other issue is that I generally try to talk about god arguments in the broadest sense possible, in case that I find someone who doesn’t behold themselves to Christian theology, or maybe even some uncommon flavor of it. You have to realize that, at least with me, I realize to some extent my position is flawed and biased in some fashion, but unless I put it out there and have someone take me up on it, I can’t really work on it and fix it.

Anyone saying Aquinas lacks complexity evidently hasn't read his metaphysics, which mind you, has nothing to do with cosmology

He's pretty much the greatest academic in the history, not just for his quality, but sheer quantity, and how much of his work relates to other bits. You could study him for ten years and still have more to learn about his philosophy, it's just that immense in terms of quantity and compelxity.

Seriously guys, get educated on what you're talking about. I'm not saying become an authority on the subject, because none of us (including myself) ever will be in the time frame of this debate. But at least become informed to the point that you don't throw around common misconceptions of theism, and at least know the promienent theistic arguments first.
I never said he wasn’t complex, I’m just saying his arguments probably don’t sidle too well into arguments about cosmology, just because, at his time, the field was practically nonexistent compared to the mathematically complex and counter-intuitive field it is today.

Unfortunately, it seems metaphysics is regularly pulled into the arena of cosmology, which, in some sense, is logical. Both in a way can deal with the question “why are things the way they are?”, if not only in a superficial sense.

I wouldn’t know about calling Aquinas the greatest academic in history, he was certainly important, but from all that I can read and gather, there have been other academics that were much more influential and arguably important, like, say, Newton or Kant.

You keep saying prominent theistic arguments, but you have never stated what you think they are. From my experience, it’s always been the two ones I mentioned earlier.

So you think one day science is going to be able to explain metaphysics? That which is beyond the physical?
The question is, can anything explain metaphysics? Is there even a point to thinking about metaphysics, since all our reasoning and thinking comes from our experience and observation of physics and the material world (our brain itself is material). If science can’t, which it may or may not be able to, I don’t really see anything else that can.

I guess it begs the question, do you believe in a dualistic view of the world?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion

How will science be able to do experiments in which time and space are removed?

Next you're going to say science will uncover moral truths.
So basically.... you're agreeing with me. God arguments are specifically structured so they can't be disproven. Nothing can be proven or disproven in metaphysics.

Seriously, I know you love science, but just keep it in your pants, science has its limits too.
Calm down dude, lol. Who said I love science? Why are you making random assumptions about people you know nothing about? This is what irks me. Please stop making assumptions and masquerading as someone who knows about the people here. This kind of stuff slows down debating, creates a tangent argument, and hurts DH relations.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Stop assuming that only that which can be empirically verified can be disproven.

Logic can be shown to be illogical. The premise which validates science as a method of deducing truth can be proven illogical.

Do you realise that by your own standard science shouldn't be used? You basically implied anything not empirically verifiable isn't meritous, but the premise which validates science isnt empirically verifiable either.

Besides, what about the problem of evil? That's a perfectly legitimate attack against God. Or determinism? There are plenty of avenues in philosophy of religion that atheists use to attack God which don't involve science.

You're acting as if science has been the only thing atheism has used on theism.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Let me put it this way: try to prove something in the field of metaphysics. For example, try to prove the God exists. What's your logical argument?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There are plenty of metaphysical arguments, most of which are too complex for me to represent.

Are you saying that because it can't be empirically verified, it's pointless?

You do realise the premise that validates scientific methodology isn't empirically verifiable?

Secondly, present me a philosophical claim that conflicts with science.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
If you yourself can't prove anything in metaphysics, your whole argument falls apart. You literally have the burden of proof, since you're claiming that you can prove something and I'm saying you can't.

Now, of course, nothing can be completely proven, but at least science revolves around a combination of observation, repetition, and logic. Metaphysics is just pure logic. There's much more room for error in metaphysics.

This, of course, goes back to the question of "can we figure things out purely with reason?", to which I answer with a resounding "no".

Secondly, present me a philosophical claim that conflicts with science.
I believe that God manifests himself as the tooth fairy and nightly puts money under the pillows of every child who looses a tooth.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It was you who made the claim that only science concludes truth.

Why is it atheists never take God arguments and refute them.

You made the claim, so find a particular God argument and show why it's faulty.

And secondly, name a prominent God argument that conflicts with God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom