• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE Undead Brampton Thread/Cemetery: Watch out for Zombies (and Geist)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Nonononono
you should have seen brampton when we frst started. Just practice is all it takes.
It took months to get to where we are now (soon to be a year)
and people that you see on youtube have commonly been doing it for 5.

Just keep up your practice and don't quit. That is one of the reasons melee is so appealing, there is soooooo much skill involved it isn't funny. You should play as falcon so you can get used to speedy characters and get good experience with improving your tech skill.

Are you going to Wigi's house btw?
Well his list says no.

He said he could only host eight, and I was too slow to sign up. So I'm not coming.

. . . ehhhhhhhhhh. . . I'm so unsure about Melee. I think this is a thing where if I focus on the urgings I'll end up not doing it. I just have to think.

There is one thing I can ask about. . . how do you deal with losing utterly? I mean if you laugh it off, how're you gonna take it seriously to improve? It really hurts to be pwned so hard in Melee... as I wrote elsewhere... it's like I'm not even present. You must meet a threshold of ability dependent on your opponent, otherwise you count for nothing. You can't observe how your ability 'measures up' to his; you'll just get pwned.

Helplessness = not pleasant.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
^ you need three kinds of people to improve in melee.

1) pros

people who **** and utterly destroy you. these people will have strats to steal and advice to give. they force you to refine strategies and contemplate what you're doing analytically. they'll crush you until you start to learn and interpret your mistakes.

2) rivals

people who you can train with on a regular basis. they're ideally around where you are in terms of skill level. you win some games, lose others. these are the people where you do most of your improvement with because you can see the results of getting better. these are the people where you practice and improve your strategies and often the first "test" of whether or not your strategies work (pros being the second).

3) noobs (least required group, but helpful)

you need noobs. because noobs are where your creativity comes up. where your screwing around comes up, etc. you need them so you can sort of tinker, be creative, do things you normally wouldn't do, see if they work or not and most of the screwing around will work because they di improperly or whatnot but the purpose is exploration of the game's less known/awkward strategies.

playing against nothing but people astronomically better than you is not the best way. you need someone around your own level to train with too so you can actually see visible improvement. otherwise you'll just get discouraged, which is what it sounds like is your worry.

Chillaxin

Smash Cadet
Today was my favourite smashfest of all, great job jason :)

So basically here are my shoutouts:

LL62 - Nice to meet u finally, come to more smashfests (which is weird comming from me because i rarely go) and u'll get alot better. I'm still impressed that u beat the creator of fireproof in luigi dittos, NICE! Also, my advice to you is to not play lv 9 bowsers, because that actually lowers ur mindgames and maybe tech skill. Play another more common character and put the level around 4 or 5 to up ur tech skill. GRMO told me to do that, and it helped ALOT.

Jason - Thanks for hosting this yo !! So fun, srry to desh, but it was funner because u had three tv's and melee ALL the way CHYEA. But anyways, it was nice playing you again, and even though u kinda got ***** in the melee round robin, i know u kick *** in brawl, and i wouldnt even come close TRUST YO.

Steven - I love you. no homo :). Srsly, its been a while and i missed ur racist ways. BUT, i want more friendlies with ur nub falco because i know that i can capone it in due time my good sir. But im happy to have served u my ken combo on ur pika*** =)

Zack - u never come on here, so f*ck u b*tch. I jk, if u ever somehow read this, u got much better, and u actually had my balls worried when i played ur sheik. Good job

Brenden - Finally got to play u in real matches unlike the gay ones in school. Even though i ***** u in all those friendlies, when it came to round robin u beat me =(. Im not gonna john about how i suicided in all the matches and my lack of spirit after playing andy. LOL but srly, good job in beating me, but that MEANS nuthing yo, HAHA. for real though, best of 5 rematch i want to spread some whoop on that ***, no homo.

Andy - I saved u for last my asian sensation. First of all, u enjoyed playing u the most because i learn alot of stuff. I'm gonna say ur fox is def. better than my marth right now, but ill come up dont wrry. I have too much practise with noob computers and so i dont know how to play a real person LOL. But i want to play u more often, ur fox is SOO good. I need more practise, especially in chain grabbing. ALSO, OMGOMG my FAV. play of the day. Our second match, the one on yoshi's story. U phantasm, i jab, then counter, then f air, the ledge guard b-air, then a charged f-smash on ur recovery ! CHYEA BOI!

ANYWAYS, thanks Jason again, i hope u have another one, where we actually bring money for pizza or sumthing

Geist

Smash Master
SHOUTOUTS OMG

LL62- You have so much melee potential you don't even realize it =0
I mean, you come out of nowhere and beat wigi in a luigi ditto, and you barely wavedash. Kudos. >=D
You definetly need to come more, you're too cool.

Abel-
Brenden - Finally got to play u in real matches unlike the gay ones in school. Even though i ***** u in all those friendlies, when it came to round robin u beat me =(. Im not gonna john about how i suicided in all the matches and my lack of spirit after playing andy. LOL but srly, good job in beating me, but that MEANS nuthing yo, HAHA. for real though, best of 5 rematch i want to spread some whoop on that ***, no homo.
Yeah, I don't mind if you john, you did full out suicide at like 5% in our first match =3
Zelda's definately my trump card lolololololololol.
Insane matches, they were really close. 0_0
I also agree to the Bo5 x]

Andy- is too good at this game lol. What Abel said, everytime I face you I get alot better. Even though my falcon was retarted today, I still know I improved and stuff. We need to practice with Sauga =D

Wigi- you got alot better at our morning practice. Nail those wavelands, and you'll be able to bet my luigi in no time. <3 Also, this smashfest was really fun.

Steve- GANONDORF LOLOLOLOLOL

Zack- You won't read this because your poverty *** self doesn't go on these forums. I don't know why I can't beat your shiek. Good chit. =]

blowtoes: how is your zelda so good? I don't think that's allowed by the laws of the universe. Stop playing zelda and main a character that is actually worth something you god**** low-tier *****. =[

He said he could only host eight, and I was too slow to sign up. So I'm not coming.
There is one thing I can ask about. . . how do you deal with losing utterly?

Helplessness = not pleasant.
Well when I play, I take every loss and every win as a losing experience. I look over the match and ask: Why did I win this, or why did I get fourstocked again?

You absolutely need to lose. People who lose often generally learn more in a period of time than someone constantly winning. Today, for example, I was having really fun falcon dittos with Andy, and he kept destroying me with unsweetspotted knee> uair when I was off the edge, and I could not recover at all. All I had to realize was I was doing something wrong, and I scrapped everything I commonly did at that point. Sure enough, I learned a bunch of ways to effectively counter it.
- DI up
- recover lower
-knee him while I'm recovering, and still make it back to the stage (very sexy)

There is nothing like the feeling you get that, after losing utterly to someone's combo, finally figuring out a counter.

Also, to learn more, I watch professional matches. I look to see what they are doing that I'm not, and try to incorperate it into my gameplay as well as I can. From hugs alone I learned how to be alot better with samus simply by upping my jab game, and how to approach better.

Whenever brampton goes to Sauga, we get *****. And every time we go, we get ***** less and less. We're stilll leagues behind, but I havn't actually gotten fourstocked in forever.
(you should have seriously seen the first time we ever went to a tournament lololololololol)

ALSO =[=[=[ Chris didn't show up, so you could have squeezed in. I wanna meet you.

BooM!!

Smash Cadet
Jason/Ow, I think it's because you're thinking too fast >_< You're trying to learn way too many things at once at such an early level.. Just take things slowly.. like one at a time <_< I think the best thing to learn at an early level is probably...
teching stuff (on the ground and platforms, I guess)
l-canceling
and wavedashing

all of these are pretty much basic skills that come automatically after you've practiced and played a lot
well, wavedashing is probably weird to integrate into your playstyle at first, depending on who you play, but after a while you find it's uses with fake outs and spacing, etc.

don't try learning everything at once because it's a lot harder.. l-canceling is probably the most important one to me at an earlier level
teching isn't too hard to pick up, really just learning to press l/r/z before you hit the ground is really useful in smash

SHOUTOUTS

JAY/WIGI - thanks sooo much for hosting this. it didn't last too long, but it was fun. I'm so surprised and glad there was like ONLY melee going on =D Hopefully, more of this can happen and for more time.. Go back to Melee and practice more! omg, your Jiggs had my Fox so scared in that first match. For once, I'm thankful to Steve for always trying to counter my Fox with his Jiggs. You're getting loads better so don't give up! LOL@BrawlBashing I LOVE POKEFLOATS

LL62/Mike - hahah you finally showed up =P LOL I wasn't there to see it, but good **** beating Brampton's Luigi. You're awesome for being a Meleeist. Come to some more of these and train with us

Bren - I'm soooooooooooooo so I broke your spirit =[ But I went and broke Abel's so you could win =DD My fox is tooo good on tourney days. Stop being so nervous and stuff looll Main high tier chars. I'll be missing you <3 LET'S GO TO SAUGA WHENEVER! Falcon dittos were toooo good on yoshi's story

Steven - I have so much to say, but.. YOU DON'T EVEN GO TO SWF, WHERE ALL THE COOL KIDS GO SO WHY BOTHER WRITING ANYTHING FOR YOU, U FKN NUB
Why do you hate me so much now =[

Zack - SAME WITH STEVE. BUT YOU'RE NOT BAD AT MELEE, HAVING NOT PLAYING IT SINCE BRAWL. QUIT BARWL.

Abel - lol i'll save you for last too.. I wish there was more time so we could get more friendlies in =[ Next to Steve, you're probably the hardest person to play against, but I think I'll learn a lot more after playing you. COME TO MOAR OF THESE PLZ Your Marth is soo above brampton levels <_< You're the only decent Marth in Brampton, and yet I never get to play you... GTF OVER HERE.
My fav play is when i was ****** you
I can't remember or decide how exactly they went because there's sooo much of those moments!
LOLOLOLOLOL <3
<3 Corneria and *** YOSHI'S STORY.

Oh, and to explain things to other people
We only had a Melee tourney because there wasn't enough time for Brawl (LOLOLOLOL Bren: Brawl won't take that long..)
There really wasn't enough time so we just did a round robin style tourney and there was no brackets, sadly
Only like 7 people came to this.
I don't know the results, other than..
1) Andy (WON EVERY SET LOOLOLOLOL like 2 losses out of 14)
2) Abel?
3) Zack?
4) Bren?
5) Steve????!?!??!?!
6) ?!?!
7) i srsly don't even know between jay vs ll62.

fun tiems. too bad chris didn't show, that fcking nub.

Luigi_Lova62

Smash Journeyman
Jason - Thank u so much for hosting this man. It's been a blast! Plus, I'm Brampton's BEST LUIGI!! Wigi, u have been dethroned...by the Black Man! lol

To the rest of the people - It wuz really great to meet u guys in person. Hopefully we can meet again sometime and smash!

*Flash Back* Steve vs. LL62 (Michael) - Pokemon Stadium, Judgment Knee on right platform + Falcon Punch on left platform + Luigi's Death = EPICNESSS!!!!!!!!

Again, thank you Jason. Next time, record our matches!

SSBM Matches + Youtube = Succesfulness!!!

Luigi_Lova62

Smash Journeyman
Today was my favourite smashfest of all, great job jason :)

So basically here are my shoutouts:

LL62 - Nice to meet u finally, come to more smashfests (which is weird comming from me because i rarely go) and u'll get alot better. I'm still impressed that u beat the creator of fireproof in luigi dittos, NICE! Also, my advice to you is to not play lv 9 bowsers, because that actually lowers ur mindgames and maybe tech skill. Play another more common character and put the level around 4 or 5 to up ur tech skill. GRMO told me to do that, and it helped ALOT.
I'll do jus that, but not 2day. Had enough melee for one day. lol

SHOUTOUTS OMG

LL62- You have so much melee potential you don't even realize it =0
I mean, you come out of nowhere and beat wigi in a luigi ditto, and you barely wavedash. Kudos. >=D
You definetly need to come more, you're too cool.
LOL I know. WATCH OUT SAUGA! BRAMPTON'S NEW LUIGI MAN IS HERE!!!!

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Well when I play, I take every loss and every win as a losing experience. I look over the match and ask: Why did I win this, or why did I get fourstocked again?

You absolutely need to lose. People who lose often generally learn more in a period of time than someone constantly winning. Today, for example, I was having really fun falcon dittos with Andy, and he kept destroying me with unsweetspotted knee> uair when I was off the edge, and I could not recover at all. All I had to realize was I was doing something wrong, and I scrapped everything I commonly did at that point. Sure enough, I learned a bunch of ways to effectively counter it.
- DI up
- recover lower
-knee him while I'm recovering, and still make it back to the stage (very sexy)

There is nothing like the feeling you get that, after losing utterly to someone's combo, finally figuring out a counter.

Also, to learn more, I watch professional matches. I look to see what they are doing that I'm not, and try to incorperate it into my gameplay as well as I can. From hugs alone I learned how to be alot better with samus simply by upping my jab game, and how to approach better.

Whenever brampton goes to Sauga, we get *****. And every time we go, we get ***** less and less. We're stilll leagues behind, but I havn't actually gotten fourstocked in forever.
(you should have seriously seen the first time we ever went to a tournament lololololololol)
I see where you're coming from, but your example only extends so long as you can observe what kicked your ***, and then 'counter'. I'm talking about the kind of ***-kicking that goes on when you're using a Marth whose best threat is aerial combos (I never though of non-tipping so I didn't fathom Ken combos), and you get ***** by a Fox you can't even deal 30% to in four stocks. Didn't matter how quickly he beat me - he could take his time.

There was nothing to 'learn' from that match, that was not just what I might get watching a pro Fox vid. There was certainly nothing to add to my game - I was inferior because I couldn't move, and had no idea how to keep up with his movement. Like getting into a brawl and forgetting how to walk. That's what wavedashing is.

I see your point and you're absolutely right, and I can do that - for games when I lose to people whose moves I at least understand and can see. But I got *****. I think it'd take a month of reading up on the Melee theory + practice, just to be whipped around in a manner I might learn something from. Are you getting me?

ALSO =[=[=[ Chris didn't show up, so you could have squeezed in. I wanna meet you.
Thanks. I you.

Jason/Ow, I think it's because you're thinking too fast >_< You're trying to learn way too many things at once at such an early level.. Just take things slowly.. like one at a time <_< I think the best thing to learn at an early level is probably...
teching stuff (on the ground and platforms, I guess)
l-canceling
and wavedashing

all of these are pretty much basic skills that come automatically after you've practiced and played a lot
well, wavedashing is probably weird to integrate into your playstyle at first, depending on who you play, but after a while you find it's uses with fake outs and spacing, etc.

don't try learning everything at once because it's a lot harder.. l-canceling is probably the most important one to me at an earlier level
teching isn't too hard to pick up, really just learning to press l/r/z before you hit the ground is really useful in smash
Who the hell wouldn't know about L-cancelling? Honestly. I don't know how I figured it out, since no one ever said push L when you land, but I figured out it let you tech, and knew it reduced Link's dair lag, so hey, why wouldn't it work on everything else? Couldn't be worse.

I think of it as odd, though... if every move can be L-cancelled, why even have the normal lag in the first place? It's not really a choice - you either L-cancel, or you haven't L2P'd. :confused:

It's why I like Brawl's autocancelling.

Teching is even more basic - it tells you about that in the game manual.

What really might have made me a better player all these years is if I knew what I knew about DI now. I knew that you could influence your trajectory, and it could get you out of combos, but I felt like I was just guessing how to actually escape multihits. I certainly didn't know you teleported! It took a bit of pulling teeth even now though - I mean I asked in Brawl Tactical what the mechanics of DI were and people got all cryptic about it. Either they were jerks or didn't know how to write. :dizzy: Anyway so I learned DI.

That's a technique to work on.

I'll get wavedashing. I got to proficiency with it in the time before I just quit, waiting for Brawl. It's really fun with Luigi. :chuckle: I could do so again.

Yeah I'll slow down.

Jason - Thank u so much for hosting this man. It's been a blast! Plus, I'm Brampton's BEST LUIGI!! Wigi, u have been dethroned...by the Black Man! lol
I want to mention that I am also named Jason (in fear of the HORRID identity thieves that stalk the interwebs) and introduce the need for a disambiguation.
And I really hate the nick 'Jay'. So much. So I call shotgun.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
^ you can very easily get wavedashing into and out of shield and around the stage down in a week or two reasonably. similarly, l-cancel comes pretty naturally with practice. teching too.

it won't take a month to learn this game's raw basics. when to apply them, however, is another case altogether.

just don't be discouraged and have fun. seriously, find someone around your own level and train with them for a bit so you can pick up on your basic mistakes and learn stuff on your own. that's how mike and me did it, that's how ryan and bernard did it, that's how people always do this stuff.

Chillaxin

Smash Cadet
i never got to be andy's partner for doubles :(

BRENDEN kept suiciding and shooting me on purpose with his gay falco lasers while i tried to kill someone while they were off the ledge.

it was incredibly annoying

BooM!!

Smash Cadet
@BREN: lol, the unsweetspotted knee > u-air SHOULD probably work..
maybe even better if you DI'd up because of u-air's range, but you were like 100% and it sent you too high
i guess DI'ing up helped that though..
It works better at lower percents <_<

screw you for living past 80% in a falcon ditto

I think you're taken the losses in a wrong way.. When I was facing Abel on Yoshi's Story in our set, I'll admit, he completely destroyed me. He was Marth and I was Fox btw. His spacing was really good, he took control on the stage and I made really stupid mistakes. Like recovering like an idiot vs Marth (**** M2K STYLE GIMPS), not grabbing enough or following up grabs good enough, not spacing well (it's reeaalllyy hard against Marth on Yoshi's Story..) and stuff like that. After that match, I took him to Corneria and ***** him lol
After David ***** my Link with his Sheik like so many have in tournaments, I realized that Link wasn't that good and I wasn't that good with him, so I used Fox ^^
Marth's generally **** my Fox, and I'm not that great in the match up vs Marth anyways so don't feel too bad

lol Steve is my rival

Luigi_Lova62

Smash Journeyman
To Chillaxin - nuttin. Like, I'm really bored now. My arms are tired from Melee cuz of yur epic speed, I'M SUCH A N00B IN BRAWL (seems like everyone knows that already), and I still can't get over Steve's so called "sacred combo". SO EPIC!

kk. I'm maining Wolf and Luigi for Brawl, mostly Luigi (I guess...who knows). Secondarys...not confirmed yet...
I think I'm getting the hang of Wolf though. SCREW HIS bsmash move. Made me commit suicide about 5 times!

WIGI

Smash Champion
.....except wigi. he's my new punching bag. YAY PUNCHING BAG!

don't get cocky there.

its not liek our macthes werent close druing round robin. werent they all just 1 stocks? at relitivly high percents?

just you wait.

i swear il be back to be b-towns best luigi. now that i acualy have somthing to work for ittle be easy.

Luigi_Lova62

Smash Journeyman
don't get cocky there.

its not liek our macthes werent close druing round robin. werent they all just 1 stocks? at relitivly high percents?

just you wait.

i swear il be back to be b-towns best luigi. now that i acualy have somthing to work for ittle be easy.
lol I'll be waiting...

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I think you're taken the losses in a wrong way.. When I was facing Abel on Yoshi's Story in our set, I'll admit, he completely destroyed me. He was Marth and I was Fox btw. His spacing was really good, he took control on the stage and I made really stupid mistakes. Like recovering like an idiot vs Marth (**** M2K STYLE GIMPS), not grabbing enough or following up grabs good enough, not spacing well (it's reeaalllyy hard against Marth on Yoshi's Story..) and stuff like that. After that match, I took him to Corneria and ***** him lol
After David ***** my Link with his Sheik like so many have in tournaments, I realized that Link wasn't that good and I wasn't that good with him, so I used Fox ^^
Marth's generally **** my Fox, and I'm not that great in the match up vs Marth anyways so don't feel too bad

lol Steve is my rival
Even that's not what I'm talking about. I wouldn't be too hurt by that loss. You had all the tools he did. But he just whipped you 'cause he played better. Astronomically better (plus he had stage advantage).
You can play like a noob or play like a pro, and you can get 4stocked in either case but there's still the difference in what you brought to the game.

Also I'm not sure what you knew but I was the Marth and he was the Fox in my story. Not that the matchup was important.

Umm... I appreciate the helping attitude.

Also, why didn't Luigi_Lova link to anything?

BooM!!

Smash Cadet
blowtoes said:
There aren't any actually tournaments happenning here, just a practice session. Tournaments never happen here because Steve always somehow ends up winning.
LOOLOOOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL
stop eatin mah caps plz

still though, steve was kind of sandbagging in most of his matches that weren't against me or abel
steve would've done a lot better if he cared LOL

Geist

Smash Master
Steve actually lost all but one of his sets. And he got ganon ***** by me =]
lol he hit me into a falco pillar combo from 0-80, I hit him twice and tipman spiked him and he died.
<333333

Also I'm not sure what you knew but I was the Marth and he was the Fox in my story. Not that the matchup was important.
Was this fox Andy? He keeps breaking people's spirits. omg stoppit.

Anyways, when you first start off, you're guaranteed some major losses, especially because this game has been out so long. Watching pros play for the first time was like watching a blur, and I couldn't tell what was happening in the matches.
Just try not to get too discouraged, play with brampton more often, we suck a bit more.

BooM!!

Smash Cadet
ROFL I was breakin too many spirits that day XD
I made Bren mess up a lot LOL srry =[,
broke Abel's spirit to the point where Bren could beat him 2-0,
broke Steve's spirit to the point where he would hate Melee for life =[,
and broke Chris' spirit to the point where he could make SHEIK johns rofl
non-sandbagging andy is too good (for Brampton) LOLOLOL

oh yeah, i learned that sandbagging andy uses Link while NS Andy uses Fox =O

RFORFOLRFORLFORL
A BETTER FALCON PUNCH
OH SHEEEIEEET

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
No it was some guy in Toronto who hence disappeared. He and his buddy were very very nice people - thankfully - amazingly supportive of my attempts to improve. But I still got whipped.

But there's no use talking about it anymore. I just have to either practice or not, first step, getting the game.

What else is new?

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
lmfaorofl who?
Me, You, Andy, Bren, Zack?

Bren isn't really consistent, same with Zack.
But I think Bren has potential to destroy everyone.

still though, steve was kind of sandbagging in most of his matches that weren't against me or abel
steve would've done a lot better if he cared LOL
Rly.

Steve actually lost all but one of his sets. And he got ganon ***** by me =]
lol he hit me into a falco pillar combo from 0-80, I hit him twice and tipman spiked him and he died.
<333333
That's why I hate this game.

broke Steve's spirit to the point where he would hate Melee for life =[
Not really. I don't see how my Jiggs and Falcon actually stood a chance against you. =S

BooM!!

Smash Cadet
you always use jiggs against me...
like trying to counterpick my fox with it <_<

zack was doing really well last time, imo
a lot better than I expected

lol Ganon can't do anything to Falco except edgeguard him =/
He gets combo'd, camaped and ***** by Falco
I guess that's the only way to play this match up LOL

and lol abel, he still beat you
thanks to my spirit breaking techniques ^^ LOLOLLOLO

Geist

Smash Master
Wwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
you have my copy of smash in your Wii.

give it back lol.

BooM!!

Smash Cadet
another smashfest, plz jay
more times
abel, don't leave so early -_______-
let's have another mini tournament, but with brackets this time
and a $5-2 entry fee, but the money goes into pizza
spare money goes to the winner

i think we've established Melee as brampton's game >=D

uhhh, jay, see if you can have a bit more people so we get some sauga and gta peoples over here
moar set ups =O

Top Bottom