• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Posted this on the Twitter but decided to reshare here. Anyone here an aspiring artist who'd like to draw up a nice little "thank you" to Sakurai for including Shadow in smash? Obviously we don't have 100% confirmation yet but having something ready to go for when he is announced would be nice. I'd credit you and link in the tweet :)
Hmm I guess I could draw something. If I have the time. I don’t mind drawing a picture thanking Sakurai for adding Shadow:) here is a drawing of shadow I drew in my sketchbook months ago. It’s just some headshots it’s nothing special just wanted to share >.>
E174259D-7860-4B29-8726-37A0FE49BDE9.jpeg

Edit: sorry that the image is sideways

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Hmm I guess I could draw something. If I have the time. I don’t mind drawing a picture thanking Sakurai for adding Shadow:) here is a drawing of shadow I drew in my sketchbook months ago. It’s just some headshots it’s nothing special just wanted to share >.> View attachment 173267
Edit: sorry that the image is sideways
Yeah for sure if you have the time, that'd be great! Those are pretty nice sketches ^_^

Obviously not going to be super picky because it's if you want to do it. I had an idea to make Shadow with a little half-smirk, shaking Sakurai's hand while tossing a green chaos emerald with his left hand, saying "Hmph, guess you're all right in my book." Y'know, to keep Shadow somewhat in character. :) But whatever you want to do

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Yeah for sure if you have the time, that'd be great! Those are pretty nice sketches ^_^

Obviously not going to be super picky because it's if you want to do it. I had an idea to make Shadow with a little half-smirk, shaking Sakurai's hand while tossing a green chaos emerald with his left hand, saying "Hmph, guess you're all right in my book." Y'know, to keep Shadow somewhat in character. :) But whatever you want to do
Great minds think alike lol I was JUST thinking about that concept ^^ But yea I will give the drawing a shot.

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
I've had some time to mull over this and I think I'll just put my thoughts on the matter out on the table. I'm pretty much done with trying to figure out the Grinch leak at this point.

Even if the Grinch leak is fake, I'm still highly confident of Shadow being in, and the rest of y'all should keep holding out hope for him too. It being fake won't immediately mean Shadow is deconfirmed. Still, seeing all the chaos unfolding with the leak really hurts to watch. At this point all I see is people repeatedly bashing their heads against the wall trying to prove or disprove it. To me it's a 'Schrodinger's leak'; we're not going to know for sure if it's real or fake until somebody gets revealed, or if Sakurai just drops the rest of the roster on us soon. We've pretty much exhausted this leak for all it's worth. There's really no point in trying to discuss it further.

I feel like people just need to slow down and take a more careful approach to this whole thing. There's already a lot of damage that's been done trying to get to the bottom of this and I don't know how quickly or easily those wounds will mend.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
There is also Jon of GameXplains comment about Shadow to consider, regardless if you believe the leak or not. He's been scarily accurate with one off comments and he mentioned "maybe Shadow should have his chaos powers and a rocket launcher"

I do wonder if that will come true like his whole Isabelle & FF ports to Switch and Ridley comments.

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
There is also Jon of GameXplains comment about Shadow to consider, regardless if you believe the leak or not. He's been scarily accurate with one off comments and he mentioned "maybe Shadow should have his chaos powers and a rocket launcher"

I do wonder if that will come true like his whole Isabelle & FF ports to Switch and Ridley comments.
Same. I’m wondering too..I hope it’s true. I would LOVE a semi-clone/unique Shadow.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be pretty impressive if Sakurai takes inspiration from Shadow's own game despite the massive split opinion on it too.
Yea. I could see Shadow final smash being chaos blast or other stuff from his game. But honestly I would like to see Sakurai pull a lot if movesets from Sonic battle.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yea. I could see Shadow final smash being chaos blast or other stuff from his game. But honestly I would like to see Sakurai pull a lot if movesets from Sonic battle.
Sonic Battle is a good place to take inspiration from as well, heck they could even use his Homing Attack from 06 if they want, I mean Sonic's down tilt is from 06 so why not haha.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Sonic Battle is a good place to take inspiration from as well, heck they could even use his Homing Attack from 06 if they want, I mean Sonic's down tilt is from 06 so why not haha.
Right exactly lol I believe a Shadow mod in Smash Legacy XP the modder used Shadow’s homing attack from sonic 06 in his move set and i would love Sakurai to add that to Shadow in smash. You should check out Shadow from Legacy XP video btw if you haven’t :)

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
"maybe Shadow should have his chaos powers and a rocket launcher"
The part of with the rocket launcher makes me not believe this at all. It sounds to me like he's just joking about "wow remember how CRINGY sonic is haha".
After ShTH Sonic Team immediately distanced themselves from Shadow using firearms and other weaponry, I never see them going back to that. And since they have a say in how Shadow is to be portrayed if he is in Smash, they'll be against him using such means.

Basically, don't expect anything more than an echo with one special changed.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The part of with the rocket launcher makes me not believe this at all. It sounds to me like he's just joking about "wow remember how CRINGY sonic is haha".
After ShTH Sonic Team immediately distanced themselves from Shadow using firearms and other weaponry, I never see them going back to that. And since they have a say in how Shadow is to be portrayed if he is in Smash, they'll be against him using such means.

Basically, don't expect anything more than an echo with one special changed.
Not immediately, because he still had guns in a few methods in 06 (on the bike and his other stuff), and a sword in Black Knight.

I just thought the comment was interesting in light of him calling Isabelle being her own character is all.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
None of us should rely on the Grinch leak for Shadow's chances. He and Ken are by far the most likely characters anyway, and we have enough evidence from the actual directs to prove something is already fishy with Shadow.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
None of us should rely on the Grinch leak for Shadow's chances. He and Ken are by far the most likely characters anyway, and we have enough evidence from the actual directs to prove something is already fishy with Shadow.
Yeah much like how Chrom and Dark Samus were suspiciously absent and hinted at from the get go, we've just had to wait longer.

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
"Before this direct is over, I'll show you the true power of CHAOS CONTROL!"

Sorry, I had to. :grin:

This is it, fellas. Our time is soon.

Mikeline

Smash Rookie
Fellow Shadow fans, in 2 days we'll know the truth. And I'll know if I'm getting a Switch or not.
Either way, its been fun. Let's hope for the best.

Kulty

Smash Ace
OMG LET`S GOOOO! I'm gonna keep my expectations low despite the craziness of the Grinch leak, but I hope Shadow is one of the last few characters to be shown off for the base roster.

With that said, there`s something that I was thinking of that I kinda noticed. Ever since Smash Ultimate was revealed, the number of character reveals in a Nintendo Direct or Smash Direct has been odd numbers. For instance:
E3 2018: we have the official confirmation of :ultinkling:(despite being teased in the announcement trailer of the game back in March), :ultdaisy: & :ultridley: (3 characters)
August Direct: we got :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool:(5 characters)
September Nintendo Direct: we got :ultisabelle: (1 character)
What if the number of characters being announced in Thursday`s Direct is 7? That number does match the number of unannounced characters in the Grinch leak. Again, it's not strong evidence, but I don't see it being out of the realm of possibility. I still take this as a HUGE grain of salt, and still keep my expectations low (and be prepared for disappointment like just announcing Ken, Incineroar and maybe one more character like Geno, but I hope I`m wrong). Just to throw it out there. :)

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Not immediately, because he still had guns in a few methods in 06 (on the bike and his other stuff), and a sword in Black Knight.

I just thought the comment was interesting in light of him calling Isabelle being her own character is all.
I'm talking specifically firearms and projectile weaponry you operate with your own hands.
Cartoon characters can easily get away with holding a sword, or other forms of melee weapons. But once you get to guns and rocket launchers things can get hairy.

It does mostly have to do with how it is handled. In Shadows case, very poorly, as most things in ShTH contradict his portrayal in SA2.
Lets be real, noone liked Shadow using realistic, modern-day weaponry. And quite frankly I'd rather have Shadow as an echo than as a unique character that incorporates the things people like the LEAST about him.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Idk guys people are claiming that leakers said in the grinch banner leak multiple characters are AT. I REALLY hope it’s not shadow. Why sakurai would save from showing a Shadow AT anyway? Also don’t 3rd party characters usually get one AT? Or am I wrong?

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Idk guys people are claiming that leakers said in the grinch banner leak multiple characters are AT. I REALLY hope it’s not shadow. Why sakurai would save from showing a Shadow AT anyway? Also don’t 3rd party characters usually get one AT? Or am I wrong?
If they knew who were AT, they'd just say so. I'm not taking anything they say seriously.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it'd be really cool to have shadow as a sonic echo. Sonic seems really fun in ultimate. I'd definitely use shadow if he's in.
Good chances to be in. And we'll see in not too long :)

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Good luck, guys! There was no doubt in my mind Shadow would make it in, if only as an echo, but regardless, I'm crossing my fingers you get your edgehog soon!

Also...support! Because why not?

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
I know there's been whisperings with insiders that could be interpreted as Shadow possibly being an assist trophy. While I respect the info they put out, I don't particularly care for insiders and never have, even before the Grinch leak. I also want to provide a rebuttal with all the evidence we've encountered throughout this speculation cycle to ease some people's worries. So here we go.
CONCRETE STUFF:
  • Knuckles has been shown off as the Sonic franchise assist trophy. As far as I know, third parties only get 1 AT each, if any. Shadow has been THE Sonic AT since Brawl and it's odd that Shadow is nowhere to be seen since he usually poses with Sonic at some point during promotional material. They've paraded Knuckles around twice now, once during the E3 presentation and again during the August Direct.
  • The Sonic franchise has been teased with having at least 20 songs now. This is up from the 14 in Smash 4, which leaves 6 songs for Sonic. One of those could easily be a song for Shadow's reveal/website trailer.
  • Shadow is one of the few AT's with perfect attendance that hasn't been shown yet. He's also one of the biggest names of the bunch, too. The only others that are in his group are the likes of Saki Amamiya, Kat&Ana, and a few others. It's a bit of a tinfoil hat theory, but I wonder if Sakurai is trying to remove AT's that have redundant effects of already-existing items, since Shadow is pretty much the Timer.
SUPPLEMENTARY EVIDENCE:
  • Isabelle. Kapp'n was revealed as the new AC assist (and so far there's only 1 confirmed AT for AC) to replace Isabelle, who replaced Resetti in 4. The pattern could easily hold true for the likes of Shadow in regards to Knuckles being the Sonic AT now.
  • Dark Samus and the ballot. A common thing I've seen is that Shadow may not have gotten enough support on the ballot because of being an AT. If that's the case, how did DS get in? Dark Samus is a lot less popular than Shadow (to me anyway, please forgive me Metroid fans) and here she is.
  • Sakurai is most likely aware of Shadow's popularity. It's why he picked him as the AT since Brawl. I think they would know about Shadow, especially since they implemented Knuckles, and you can't tell me that it HASN'T crossed their minds to think "Hey these characters look pretty similar we could probably make him an echo of Sonic." And to quote Alpharad's video on Shadow being an echo fighter "...you can't see this (Sonic) and see this (Shadow) and say 'those are completely different they have no similarities at all.' " Because it literally writes itself.
  • 108 Stages. While this one is a bit iffy I'm going to believe there's 108 stages since it makes no dang sense why there's all those empty spots on the stage select. To be honest I don't know if all the unique newcomers would get their own stage, depending on who they are. However, I could possibly see Sakurai putting in Radical Highway perhaps as a means of recreating the famous SA2B opening for Shadow's reveal trailer. This is especially important if you consider that when you list the fighters by series, they are advertised with a certain stage. Sonic is with Green Hill, obviously. Shadow would be left with Windy Hill from Lost World, a game he never appeared in. Radical Highway would fit a lot better, but that's just speculation.
  • Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool. What do they have to do with this? Well, the fact of the matter is that as far as I can tell, outside of crappy 4chan 'leaks', no concrete predictions were ever made by any insiders regarding these characters. Any ones that may have done so are pretty much debunked at this point. It could've been a number of reasons, such as outdated info, deliberate misinformation from the devs, etc. Basically what that means is that despite all the insider information getting thrown around, chances are that something slipped under the radar.
There's probably other things I missed but that's everything I could think of, anyway.
tl;dr Shadow confirmed thanks for coming to my TED talk

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
So our last Direct is on the first of November, right after Halloween!

Shadow's gotta be in at this point! This is his moment!

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm talking specifically firearms and projectile weaponry you operate with your own hands.
Cartoon characters can easily get away with holding a sword, or other forms of melee weapons. But once you get to guns and rocket launchers things can get hairy.

It does mostly have to do with how it is handled. In Shadows case, very poorly, as most things in ShTH contradict his portrayal in SA2.
Lets be real, noone liked Shadow using realistic, modern-day weaponry. And quite frankly I'd rather have Shadow as an echo than as a unique character that incorporates the things people like the LEAST about him.
Fair fair, I’d be amused more than anything though, I think the Tails fanbase would be a little salty too oops.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
It's not just third parties. Apparently, TPCI is also very strict about Pokemon colors as well. For one, none of the Pokemon have their shiny colorings as alts, when that would be a no brainer.
The only two Pokemon that do have their Shiny coloration as alts are Pikachu (his red alt that he's had since Smash Bros N64 and with him being the mascot it makes perfect sense) and Jigglypuff, and to a lesser extent the Pokemon Trainer's 3 Pokemon have their shiny alts as well.

Mewtwo did had his Shiny alt as a costume in Melee, before it got taken out in Wii U/3DS.

Top Bottom