• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Twilight Princess: Midna for Smash: Ya Gotta Have Wolf Link

How do you want your Midna in Smash?

• Total voters

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Here's an idea. How about Midna and Wolf Link work like D.Va in Overwatch, where she starts out with Wolf Link underneath her and their moves are synergy based, but when her damage meter reaches 100% Wolf Link disappears and she's on her own with her own distinct moveset? And even if she recovers the damage, she doesn't get Wolf Link back until her next life.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
How would you want her? Solo or with Wolf Link? and why?
I wouldn't mind either one since both could add something very unique and interesting to the roster...

-Solo Midna could make for a small, yet powerful glass cannon...while she uses her hair to do some serious physical attacks and throw damage and possibly work as a tether, while incorporating effective projectile use and warping into her moveset...

-Paired with Wolf Link they could make for an effective tag team...Mid/heavy weight with various attacks focused around Wolf Link's savagery and Midna's magic...A bait and punish playstyle allowing Wolf Link to attack while Midna's magic creates openings with stun and homing properties...once again incorporating Midna's hair for some physical ranged attacks and grappling...

I also wouldn't mind a moveset built around True Form Midna if I'm being honest...

She's just got so much to work with in any form, it's hard to decide which one I'd prefer...plus either method could incorporate elements from the others as well...

andimidna

Smash Master
I’m actually taking the route of an attack called “Wolf Link Pounce” as a side B where if she’s solo, he materializes under her, but if they’re together, she flips off of him and he’s sucked into a portal. Rather than a down b or final smash linking them via some sort of transformation, it’s more fluid than that. I also did this because there were just too many moves/concepts I wanted to fit in lmao. I’ll post the full thing eventually.

I don’t have a set way to incorporate her true form. I think the final smash should be
that monstrous thing with a spear that breaks the barrier to Hyrule Castle

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Midna's odds are linked (no pun intended) to two things:

1. The Smash Ballot
  2. Whether Smash will stop trying to use the most recent Zelda game to represent the entire series at once. (they were pushing it with TP Sheik and ran into problems when Ganondorf stopped appearing.)

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I think that also with the establishment of Zelda spin offs, now more than ever, it makes sense to look at the series as a whole. Which could also be beneficial for characters like Impa and Skull Kid.
If we’re talking about a character more impactful to any single game that isn’t included, I’d definitely say Midna. I don’t think there’s precedent for recurring characters that aren’t as noticed, like Impa and Anna and Tiki, but they could be used for promotion just as well, honestly. I mean, any series representative could. I don’t know, at least Wolf Link was in BotW lol

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not sure if it counts as self-promotion, but I'm posting this here anyway.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/11/26/ds-wolf-link-midna/

I wrote this Midna and Wolf Link concept for Source Gaming two years ago. I'm quite proud of it. Basically it relies on the gimmick of every attack having two stages - a fast Wolf Link attack and then a nasty followup from Midna's hand/hair/thing.
But Midna's attacks are opt-in. So essentially, Wolf Link's attacks are fast and good at getting in, but weak, and Midna's follow ups are strong, slower, and with far more reach.

Start combos with Wolf Link and end them with Midna, or fake them out by switching when you decide to use certain followups.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Midna as an Assist Trophy doesn't have Wolf Link. So, why attach Wolf Link to Midna?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Probably because as an Assist Trophy, Midna only needs to have two functions: Teleporting and grabbing. Playable characters are designed quite differently and need far more substance to work well. Imagine having Andross or Color TV Game 15 as a playable character by itself.

Wolf Link and Midna is what was playable in Twilight Princess - not Midna by herself. Without dipping in non-canon stuff (Hyrule Warriors) there is a much stronger foundation for a moveset for the duo rather than just Midna.

(Plus, there seems to be an unspoken rule about not having overlap between Assist Trophies and playable characters, so considering Wolf Link is the same character as adult Link in Smash 4, they didn't use him as an Assist Trophy.)

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Midna as a character is actually fairly iconic when she's riding on some sort of wolf...

Its also worth noting that her initial concept was to be sitting atop Wolf Link's back since Wolf Link on his own would've looked too boring, so she was literally made to ride Wolf Link...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Midna as a character is actually fairly iconic when she's riding on some sort of wolf...

Its also worth noting that her initial concept was to be sitting atop Wolf Link's back since Wolf Link on his own would've looked too boring, so she was literally made to ride Wolf Link...
Yeah.
also lewd

I know a lot of people don't want *another* Link, but he's really not even Link. Hell, BOTW just treats him like a normal dog.

Morbi

Scavenger
I always wanted Wolf Link (with Midna) as Link's final smash in Brawl. I can still remember the disappointment of the Triforce Slash nonsense... Twice. Because Toon Link was plagued with it as well. After that, I though, surely they will update it for Smash 4 as they have with so many other character ESPECIALLY because they decided to keep Twilight versions (my least favorite) for no discernible reason. Nope.

As a character, the idea is highly interesting, but I genuinely feel as though Duck Hunt attenuates my enthusiasm for the concept.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I mean, they're not really anything alike lol. Duck Hunt is a camper with three projectiles, (my concept of) Wolf Link and Midna is a rushdown/zoner hybrid.

On a superficial level they're similar, I suppose.

Morbi

Scavenger
I mean, they're not really anything alike lol. Duck Hunt is a camper with three projectiles, (my concept of) Wolf Link and Midna is a rushdown/zoner hybrid.

On a superficial level they're similar, I suppose.
I never stated that they were alike. Just the appeal of having a quadrupedal (even more specifically, a canine) with a companion has more or less been addressed. That used to be the biggest reason I enjoyed Wolf Link. To run around on four legs, it was relatively rare then. But the game itself (TP) does a good job of scratching that itch, Okami is even better, and in Smash, I got to experience what that would vaguely be like. Some people compared it to Banjo and Kazooie, I was not satisfied with that in any regard. So I understand where you are coming from. It is just that going so far back in Zelda's history for a one-off idea that is already present in the game is not the direction I would personally go.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Probably because as an Assist Trophy, Midna only needs to have two functions: Teleporting and grabbing. Playable characters are designed quite differently and need far more substance to work well. Imagine having Andross or Color TV Game 15 as a playable character by itself.

Wolf Link and Midna is what was playable in Twilight Princess - not Midna by herself. Without dipping in non-canon stuff (Hyrule Warriors) there is a much stronger foundation for a moveset for the duo rather than just Midna.

(Plus, there seems to be an unspoken rule about not having overlap between Assist Trophies and playable characters, so considering Wolf Link is the same character as adult Link in Smash 4, they didn't use him as an Assist Trophy.)
She wasn't playable because she was assisting Link much like Navi or Tatl. Unlike most of the characters who partner with Link she can stand (float) on her own. To me it just comes across that she has to share her spotlight when she doesn't need to.

andimidna

Smash Master
I felt that way at first too, but it was moveset potential that made me switch over.
I’m trying to compile the videos and gifs for it rn
Battery running low though lmao

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I mean, take it from someone who has tried to get her in Smash for 10 years...Midna kind of does need to share Wolf Link's spotlight. She was basically designed to roost on his back. She's weirdly top-heavy because she was meant to have a giant dog underneath her at all times. Even in Hyrule Warriors, where Wolf Link is not present, she has a substitute.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I prefer Imp Midna floating around by herself, but that's just me. I think she can be the one true grappler this game needs

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I've actually got an interesting theory for BotW involving Midna....So I figured I'd share it here since we all want more Midna...

Of course this doesn't particularly mean anything as far as her chances of being added into Smash goes, but from a Zelda lore standpoint it could make her a more influential character to the events of BotW...

Theory crafting is fun anyways...
As many of us know one of the key features in BotW are teh Divine Beasts and their Champions...Each beast built many years ago by the Sheikah specifically to represent important races of Hyrule, and each race has a champion chosen by the Royal family to pilot each respective Divine Beast...

As far as we know the four champions Mipha, Urbosa, Daruk and Ravioli as well as the four unnnamed Champions during the first calamity are the only Hyrulean Champions, however their may indeed be at least one more champion not mentioned in BotW...

During the events of Twilight Princess a prophecy told of a Divine Beast that would appear within the Twilight Realm, Midna took it upon herself to aid this Divine Beast, as time goes by they eventually face off against Ganondorf in a fight for the Kingdom of Hyrule...shortly after the evil known as Ganondorf was defeated by the hero chosen by the Master Sword and the Princess of Hyrule...
Greatfull for the sacrifices made by the Twilight Princess and her role in defeating the great evil she was recognized for her deeds and granted the title of 'Twili Champion' before Link, Zelda and Midna set off to Arbiter's Grounds to return Midna to her realm...

Many years later this legend of the first 'Champion' who rode atop a 'Divine Beast' may have inspired the now reestablished race of Sheikah to construct powerful 'Divine Beasts' as well as a selection of skilled warriors amoung each race to pilot said divine beasts to aid the hero and the princess against the coming calamity much like the first champion once did during the Twilight Invasion...

Also note it may be likely that history did not remember that the Divine Beast and the Hero chosen by the Master Sword, were one in the same, especially considering only a few individuals at the time knew of this as well...
and also this theory assumes BotW's timeline placement to be in the Child Timeline...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
TBH, i kind of forgot a lot of TP's lore, lol. Maybe they can make a sequel one day that actually does more with the Twilight Realm. It always bothered me how underutilized it was.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
TBH, i kind of forgot a lot of TP's lore, lol. Maybe they can make a sequel one day that actually does more with the Twilight Realm. It always bothered me how underutilized it was.
Was a pretty big disappointment that it never got a direct sequel especially when Ocarina of Time got Majora's Mask and Wind Waker got Phantom Hourglass...

And I feel like BotW may get a sequel along those lines as well...

andimidna

Smash Master
Based off the “Zelda Wii U demo” showing off that boss fight against Armogohma in the updated TP style, I still think BotW was originally going to be a TP sequel early in development. It’s not hard to imagine that development plans changed since it went on for so long. I mean, a title people thought would be in the early Wii U line was a Switch launch title lmao. Just because they came up with new ideas that made them want to switch over ideas doesn’t mean the concept is dead though and can’t be next.
I still think that it’s heavily implied that Colin is growing up and training to be like Link, and if there was a sequel, I’d imagine it being around 20 years later with an updated environment showing how time passed and playing more like BotW. Sure, the one link between the Twilight and Light World was destroyed, but keep in mind it was created by the Goddesses and that can happen again.
I think they should definitely make it the story successor to TP but the gameplay successor to BotW. I haven’t played BotW only because I haven’t gotten a Switch yet, but it seems like the right direction for the series. However, this would be the time to address issues like lack of linearity meaning less of a coherent story. Honestly, I really don’t like how you can go straight to Ganon at all. A certain amount of linearity seems necessary to a good story. Books don’t make sense when you read them backwards, yknow? I also think this would be the perfect time to make it less of a solo thing. You could have a whole party with you helping out and play as different characters/ have a multiplayer option thanks to The Resistance. I think that’d be a great step for the series. Auru probably wouldn’t be alive anymore, but that leaves Ashei, Shad, and Telma & Louise, and maybe even Rusl & the Hawk. I’d picture it as like Telma driving that carriage with most in the back, then Colin and Ashei on their own horses, and Midna (true form) just floating alongside. And if Colin was the focus (maybe Link and Zelda are held back by something: age? Obligations? Injury? Death?), I definitely would like to see Colin’s unnamed sister born right at the end of the game in some sort of prominent role or as a foil to Colin. Her birth just seemed so “led up to” idk. The party could even grow throughout the game and the concept could reinvent boss fights. I also think there’s a ton of potential in a talkative set of main characters. They could even have unlockabke side conversations like Fire Emblem omg.
Edit: just imagine the overworld redone so you can reach just about everywhere, and expanded upon from every angle. Also, imagine starting the game with all the items from TP except the Master Sword. Also, agreed that way more places in the Twilight Realm need to be accessible and it needs more defining characters. I think it’d be interesting to see it rebuilt and thriving when Hyrule is falling apart again at the hands of a non-Ganon villain since it hasn’t been due time for reincarnation.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I support MIdna. Any Zelda rep is good to me at this point because for being Ninty's third, it sure isn't getting great treatment. Especially when the main villain is a clone and the two other characters are variations of the characters we already have, albeit Shiek is unique, though still a crossdressing Zelda disguise.

andimidna

Smash Master
I know I did. Does anyone know how many times you were allowed to vote? That’s something I never got. I’ve heard people say it was easy to vote by bot, so I don’t know how much the results would be skewed.

Amazon Pandora

Smash Rookie
This might be wrong but i'm going to put it out there

Considering that Link is BoTW link. I feel as if Zelda and Ganondorf will follow suit, ganondorf will most likely have an inspired design like sheik had in brawl. I've kinda noticed something though, if the triforce trio will be BoTW inspired, where will the TP reference be? The biggest 3D zelda games are, OoT, MM, TP, WW and BoTW.

Sheik references OoT
Toon link references WW/ST/PH, even young link who is prominent in MM (he essentially replaced YL)
The triforce trio will most likely be the BoTW reference

So that leaves TP out, I do not think sheik can do the job as she was not in TP. TP is too important to just have an assist trophy reference it as well. TP is the highest selling console zelda soon to be outdone by BoTW it seems. TP is too important to the zelda franchise in my opinion (the highest selling and spanning three console generations and one of the most daring zeldas of that era) to be left out without a character to reference it, TP had the triforce trio doing that for two smashes, now that it's done, I think that maybe midna would be that character to include as the character to "rep" (yes I know) Twilight Princess. I also think that she will be in her True form as that is easier to balance and create as it is a humanoid form that sakurai is used to. That is what I think could happen if BoTW link is not a separate link but replacing TP link.

Tl;dr I support midna no matter what the form, and I think she has a better shot than most people give her credit for given this appearance of BoTW link and what it could possibly mean for Zelda and Ganondorf, and possibly midna herself.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm seeing a lot more support for her than I thought I would after so long. Especially from YouTubers.
Y'all have better have voted for her on the ballot!
You know damn well I did!

I think having appeared in Hyrule Warriors and TPHD to which both games are still fairly recent (with the former getting a port on the Switch) she seems rather fresh on people's minds and with the promise of a new game she as of yet has the role of an assist trophy being a setback which likely makes people more open to the possibility of getting her in the game...

That and the heavy demand for a Zelda newcomer she still remains a prime candidate...

andimidna

Smash Master
I think another good point is the fact that she was one of the only characters that was actually *two* Hyrule Warrior characters. I mean, Link made up 3 of the characters, kind of 4. Zelda made up 2? Kind of 4? Then Midna being 2. It’s kind of amazing the influence that the final 2 cutscenes of the game had. Twili Midna only appeared there and as a silhouette once earlier on, and she’s still a decently recognizeable character with her own moveset in Hyrule Warriors :)

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think another good point is the fact that she was one of the only characters that was actually *two* Hyrule Warrior characters. I mean, Link made up 3 of the characters, kind of 4. Zelda made up 2? Kind of 4? Then Midna being 2. It’s kind of amazing the influence that the final 2 cutscenes of the game had. Twili Midna only appeared there and as a silhouette once earlier on, and she’s still a decently recognizeable character with her own moveset in Hyrule Warriors :)
Aonuma said he regretted not using that design more within the game, so he was rather excited to have her in Hyrule Warriors in her true form...

Midna is definitely one of the best designed characters in the series, in either form...which definitely says a lot considering how diverse the characters are in the franchise...

andimidna

Smash Master
It isn't perfectly organized, but I think I got all my thoughts and ideas down with necessary references. I should probably break it up into multiple spoiler things, but this is what it's like for now. Thoughts?

Videos used as references:
if not specified: https://youtu.be/M5ZBjA0A4qk
Video2: https://youtu.be/HCmomFWoamE
Video3: https://youtu.be/Ld47-1PZNT8

Midna & Wolf Link moveset:

General Aesthetics: Twilight particles rain within a close radius around her. When hit, they disappear momentarily and she goes into her "shadow form" during hitstun, where only her eye is its normal color.
General traits:
Weight: 70, making her the 2nd lightest in the game after Jiggly.
Solo walk: 1.15, average- floats forward
Solo run: 1.725, slightly above average- floats forward faster
Combined walk: 0.75, bottom 3
Combined run: 1.86, great
This is to be true to the game where Wolf Link is pretty slow unless you press the A button to make him charge forward. Midna will latch onto Wolf Link at the start of the run and make that "oh!" sound when he begins a dash.

Midna begins a stock solely as herself. Wolf Link is more of an asset, rather than his own character, but he is not dispensable. There is only one. If killed, she will not be able to summon him again for the remainder of the stock, like ICs. However, like Luma, Wolf Link has HP: 80. (Reference to the fact there's 20 hearts with damage divided into fourths). Once he has received 80% (which can't be seen, like Luma), he falls to the ground and his body is teleported off the stage.
Midna takes the damage registered at the bottom. I can't decide whether her hair should be a hurtbox.

Solo Midna:
In general, her attacks are strong and large, but slower.
Up B: Warp Portal (Like Link, it's a little bit different on the ground and in the air. If in the air, she gets sucked into a portal above; a 2nd portal soon appears in the direction pressed which she materializes beneath. If on the ground, the portal is laid on the ground and she gets sucked downward, but it can still be controlled just the same. The only difference really is the direction the portal faces. The portals last for 20 seconds and is usable by anybody, unless a new set is created, just like Pac-Man. This is what sets it apart from the other warps. Perhaps nearby items can get sucked in too if they really want to go all-out.)

Neutral B: Strengthen (Her X move from Hyrule Warriors. It’s a command grab that squeezes an opponent in range and leaves them laying on the floor momentarily like Ryu’s down b. The move functions like deep breathing or limit break, making her temporarily stronger and possibly more agile, but it was an unofficial timer ticking down to its disappearance. It should last about 20 seconds, and will be noted by her purple glow that grows dimmer as it depletes. When over, if she’s idle, she will snap her fingers and her hair-fingers in unison, like in Hyrule Warriors. Similar to Bayo’s taunts and idle animations, this animation is cancellable/optional and you can continue moving at any point in time.)
Strengthen attack video2[0:32]
Snap animation video2[0:51]

Down B: Mimic (She can appear differently to others. It’s not clear whether she’s changing her appearance or simply appearing that way in the minds of others. Regardless, for the move, she briefly turn into a sepia/unsaturated form of character trapped in the small-reaching magic spark. This equalizes the damage between Midna and the character “grabbed,” giving them each the average of their percentages, so she better not use this move at low percents! If nobody is nearby, it’s basically just a taunt. 4/5 chance she mimics Ilia and Colin like in the cutscene, 1/5 chance she mimics her true form and sends a tear forward that’s weak but multi-hit, or has no hit box, either is fine.)
[23:20]

Side B: Wolf Link Pounce (she hops on Wolf Link who is warped in beneath her and they leap/pounce forwards)

Forward Smash: [2:30:20]
You can clearly see both the charging animation and the move itself here. This would be slow but long ranged and powerful. I certainly imagine this having a strongest point at the tip. Compare to Corrin.

Down Smash: [15:10]
The Twili Magic Ball- a quick projectile with some directional influence to chose the angle downward, therefore affecting how far away it hits. It also has a short lasting stun. Like Zero Suit, but smaller and more horizontal.

Up Smash: swings hair-hand curved upward and around in a slapping motion

Tilts:
Still relatively slow and strong, she whips her hair in the direction specified.

Wolf Link & Midna combined:

Up B: Guided Leap (Midna quickly floats up at a 45° angle unless a directional input is given to change the arc as she quickly floats. She waits fully exposed and signals for Wolf Link to leap up so she can catch him and set him down softly. Press a 2nd time for Wolf Link to hop up. Easily exposes them, so press quickly, but this helps recover quickly from a vast distance away, as opposed to the warp portal which is very slow, but doesn't leave them as open.)

Neutral B: Electric Field (A stunning electric sphere surrounds them and locks all foes in range in place until release. The move can be held down and charged, and Wolf Link can slowly move during it, moving around and expanding the field over time. After the button is released or the max time is reached, they automatically pounce every locked foe in succession. The latest hit of the attack is the strongest.

Down B: Hide & Return (Midna hides in Wolf Link's shadow. Given Midna is the central character that has damage accounted for and Wolf Link's is separate for his knockback, this is a great way to keep her safe from taking damage, but it harshly limits options to Wolf Link's range and strength of attacks, also he has no solo recovery options. If Wolf Link dies with Midna in his shadow, she is simply forced out.)
Return: video3[18:35]
Hide: video3[19:12]
[1:32:03]

Side B: Wolf Link Pounce: Wolf Link still charges forward like before and pounces, but she backflips off him this time. He is soon warped out of sight waiting to be brought out again unless he's ko'd
Example of backflip: [1:00:00]

Forward Smash: Midna floats up and does the same thing while Wolf Link turns the other way and bites, so they cover each other

Down smash: Wolf Link does his spinning attack, which covers the ending lag on Midna's projectile

Up Smash: Midna still slaps her hair hand upward, and now Wolf Link also bites forward

Tilts:
Midna still smacks her hair in the direction specified, but now Wolf Link also claws below in the same direction, sightly before Midna's attack. Wolf Link is weaker and meant to combo into Midna's hit. Maybe you'd have to press the button twice to get Midna's hit, like Bayo, that way you could choose which hitboxes you want and stick to Wolf Link's quick jabs for combos before Midna's finisher.

Jab:
A: Midna shoots Twili magic forward out her right hand
With Wolf Link: He also charms forward with a bite
AA: Midna shoots Twili magic forward out of her left hand
With Wolf Link: He also charges forward with a bite
AAA: Midna does a front flip ending in her swinging her hair-hand down slightly past the previous hit boxes.
With Wolf Link: he also pounces forward and claws
Multi-hit: Her Twili magic begins a vortex that her hair-hand guides in spinning. Her finisher is a forward punch with her hair-hand.
With Wolf Link: He runs around the bottom of the vortex, making it faster and do more damage. The finisher is the same.

Loosely combines the concept of YYYYY video2[0:00] and YYYXXX video2[0:17]

Dash attack: Midna (now sitting sideways on Wolf Link, facing the camera, whips her hair back and forth (in front and behind Wolf Link), smashing the ground as she slowly moves forward, with a final blow that scoops around both sides and pushes forward.
With Wolf Link: Midna has the same animation, but now Wolf Link can slowly move forward or backwards during it, making it more versatile.
Based off YYYYX video2[0:26]

Grab: [2:47:02] obviously a hair-hand grab, slow but long-range
Zair: Same animation as her her grab and can be used for a quick close-range recovery
Pummel: [2:47:15] Midna squeezes multiple times like Master Hand and Wolf Link automatically leaps and bites at the opponent if he's present.
Forward throw: [2:47:02]
Roll: splits into bubbles, disappears, and materializes again in the direction of the roll
[15:25]
Wolf Link scoots back, with no invincibility, like Luma
Full 1st Jump: very high, but not the quickest since she’s floaty
[23:50]
With Wolf Link, it's lower
2nd: shows more effort and twirls
[1:41:03]
With Wolf Link, it's lower

Idle animations: basically same as TP
Both:
-her classic yawn
-she looks around as Wolf Link digs a little with his front paw
-fixes her helmet so that it's on properly
Wolf Link-only: her prodding Wolf Link to get moving
Solo only: sits back in a little hammock made of her hair briefly, then gets back up

Taunts:
Down: Messing with the Iron sword (she warps it in and back out) [28:98]
Same with or without Wolf Link
Side: Sits back and hums her own theme [29:52]
Same with or without Wolf Link
Up with Wolf Link: She pets Wolf Link in front of him and he nibbles happily on her helmet, taking it off her head. Upset/shocked, she warps it out of his mouth and back on her head, and sits back down.
Up solo: goes into shadow form and spins and leaps behind the stage with a back flip, disappearing momentarily, then reappearing in the same spot. Think like Mega Man. [59:55] or [41:43]
Final Smash:
Fused Shadow Beast [2:36:30] , video2[1:00]

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think for that concept just using a Shadow Wolf as a stand in could work a bit better...

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I see more potential with the Shadow Wolf. In Hyrule Warriors, those Shadow Wolves go all over the place.

That, and I feel that "Midna & Wolf Link" would end up being more about Wolf Link or the duo aspect as a whole, whereas the Shadow Wolves allow more focus to be put on Midna herself.

andimidna

Smash Master
I’d definitely take it a different way for sure. The main goal for that was to make the overall concept separate from iCs, Rosaluma, Olimar, and Duck Hunt. Not just moveset wise, but in overarching concept.
Maybe instead, Wild Link doesn’t have HP like Luma at all? I mean, Midna certainly isn’t a puppeteer already. I was just trying to think outside the box I guess lmao. It’s already a pretty gimmick-filled set though.

Edit: I like the shadow wolves too, but I thought it made more sense to pull from Twilight Princess before Hyrule Warriors, even if she was brought back into relevance with both TPHD and the 3 Hyrule Warriors games.

Edit 2:How about the other gimmicks? Doesn’t a portal character sound really fun?
Is “Mimic” too much? I thought since it has that default animation you’re forced through if you miss, it meets the high risk that comes with the situational high reward

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, due to the simplicity of Smash movesets (all things considered) it's better to focus on a central gimmick rather than a lot of them. I focused on their ability to attack together in succession when constructing mine.

And yeah, I was forbade from using Shadow Wolves in my moveset by the editor lol. That's okay, I think it's better to focus on Twilight Princess rather than HW for inspiration. Warriors is fun, but a lot of the characters' moves in that game are completely made up.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I would love to see Midna to rep Twilight Princess (and Ghirahim for SS, but not as much as Midna), especially after their appearances in Hyrule Warriors. Sadly, I don't think that they're going to take much from there, so I think Assist is the best they will both get.

Midna has a great moveset potential with projectiles and grapples in her imp form. I did like how the shadow beasts were used for HW, so I'd prefer her on her own. Her Final Smash would obviously be putting the Fused Shadow together. I could even see some specials borrowing from Twili Midna's in HW.

As cool as the Twili form is, I think that should be just relegated to taunts or win poses.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Just want to mention, I posted a new thread for Top 10 Most Wanted Smash Newcomers...Similar to the Top 10 DLC for smash 4 I did...

Midna's currently winning :p

But you guys should go over there and let people know how great she is...

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Oops, looks like I never posted this earlier. Thanks for the links and the like, I love to see stuff like that, so I'll check it out :)

Yeah, due to the simplicity of Smash movesets (all things considered) it's better to focus on a central gimmick rather than a lot of them. I focused on their ability to attack together in succession when constructing mine.

And yeah, I was forbade from using Shadow Wolves in my moveset by the editor lol. That's okay, I think it's better to focus on Twilight Princess rather than HW for inspiration. Warriors is fun, but a lot of the characters' moves in that game are completely made up.
Hm, but at least with the direction they took in Smash 4 we saw a shift towards focusing on making characters more unique with gimmicks that didn’t seem all that conceivable beforehand. I don’t know.
I wouldn't want to build a moveset just on portals, or "Hide", but I really like both concepts and find them representative of the gameplay. I'm not attached to "Mimic" at all, I just thought it was a really interesting power that never got expanded upon in the original game, and I'm not sure why.

Top Bottom