• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coney

Smash Master
(smash it and bang it)

Future got wrecked by Coney and that match up is -3 for D3. It doesn't mean that Future isn't top 5 though. I'm just pointing out that someone losing a set against some one they technically shouldn't lose to doesn't necessarily mean they aren't worthy of the spot
aw come on now

i didn't wreck him, i just barely won the first one and got really lucky in the second game...his nana did some stupid stuff and he got nervous, as any player would

it was a close set!

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I think it's closer to -2. Weren't you the one telling me the match-up wasn't bad for DDD until I played coney? Future wasn't trying at SiiS either, he never plays anymore. I would have him under me if he played at all like he used to. Also, he only lost the set because he dropped chaingrabs. You know future isn't trying when he drops cg's because he pretty much the most consistent IC with CG's lol. When he does play brawl he plays like lucas/mario/dk/random characters only.

etc etc john john john. I mainly didn't put smoom because I don't know how good he is. I haven't played him recently and I don't think he has any notable tournament wins. I don't really list people who I haven't played because I don't just like assuming how good people are.
I do think it's closer to -2, but I'm just going by what everyone has agreed to.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I haven't played smoom recently but at MLG dallas he lost to Future in bracket. Future played snake(his snake is no where near as good as his IC's lol). Smoom seems to be good against MK players but still doesn't beat the good ones just gets close and since I haven't played him I can't rank him well with that little info. He could be on list, I dunno.
namesearchlol.

Tbh, MK is maybe one of my best matchups, but I can't take down my top MKs yet. I've taken Dphat and Havok to game 3 (vids for the sets are on youtube), but I haven't beat them yet. :/

And DMG, when have you watched my ICs before?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
namesearchlol.

Tbh, MK is maybe one of my best matchups, but I can't take down my top MKs yet. I've taken Dphat and Havok to game 3 (vids for the sets are on youtube), but I haven't beat them yet. :/

And DMG, when have you watched my ICs before?
We've played before! And I watched you play people at Whobo.

Smoom77

Smash Master
We played one match, I remember haha. And at whobo...I played so bad. I didn't even get out of pools. I'll show I can make top 5 ICs, like Ill said, at whobo.

Laurel

Smash Ace
No, I havnt, nor did I play havok. Its a match up havok clearly doesnt know. I even saw him practicing with mike haze's toon link (which was pretty horrible ) before he played MJG, and havok wasnt even doing that well =/. But he beat CO18 after I lost to him.. im assuming its because he had you to practice that match up with a good amount cause you were visiting his area alot. But whatever no johns, just made me learn more about the match up.

Ensis did however lose to D4BA, a MK player down here who ive been beating pretty consistently. Ensis also used MK on denti in losers, after getting 2-0'd by him at another recent tourney. Another Texas player that ive been beating pretty consistently.

Also, I havnt gotten consistent top 3, but top 4 yes. But while his tougher threats seem to be domo and hylian. Every tournament that I attend for sure has gnes, razer, and trela because we go to them all together. I also have to worry about players like espy and dojo attending. So it is clearly much harder to place top 3 consistently here.. and ive still managed top 4 with some top 3 placings

And I beat him in the ditto 2-0(just incase that helps)

just came in to say

my tl *****

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawl none of those PTs are better than Magik, guaranteed.

Teh Future

Smash Master
i watched vinnie play shugo at sissssisiisisi 4 and i was really impressed w/ his ics (although game 1 w/ G&W was epic as **** shugo had a sweet comeback)

idk why loosing to coney matters very much though lol hes really good and has exp. against ics. I wouldnt really say i didnt try at siss (maybe in losers lol) just couldnt focus really bc of no sleep and some other lame johns lol.

but whatever i dont really care about this list vinnie prob has a better ics than me tho honestly just bc hes a better player.

idk if i even wanna plai ics anymore -___________- boring character

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Future got wrecked by Coney and that match up is -3 for D3. It doesn't mean that Future isn't top 5 though. I'm just pointing out that someone losing a set against some one they technically shouldn't lose to doesn't necessarily mean they aren't worthy of the spot
LOL that matchup is not minus 3 >.>

And if you think that set wasn't close, you should definitely rewatch the set. It was really intense and Future got gaiiiiiied over by his Nana like no other game 2 and pretty much gave up.

Anyways, I think Vinnie and Future are both top 5 ICs, because I've seen Vinnie play before too, and he is very solid and smart with them.

Something like:

1/2. Lain/Hylian
3. Atomsk
4. Future
5. Vinnie

Smoom is making his way up there, HM for him.

I don't know anything about swordgard.

But Japanese ICs are better than all these. Lolll.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Name searched.

I got mad at Fiction because he was intentionally trying to annoy me outside of the game. I was not mad at Fiction "over a game," it was an issue of respect between human beings. I did not feel that I was being respected. I have told him numerous times to not talk to me during a set, but he repeatedly ignored my requests and continued to do it anyway. EVO was a breaking point for me.

To elaborate on what he was saying, he wasn't saying things like "that was pretty cool" or "dang, you got me!" It was, if I remember correctly, something along the lines of "**** **** **** **** **** ****." His intentions were obvious, at least to me: annoy BarDulL and distract him from the game as much as possible!

One can argue that trying to distract your opponent from the game isn't against the rules (as long as it is within the boundaries of reason), so it just depends on how you look at it.

Hylian, I got mad at the entire Texas group for laughing; I did not single you out. Don't give yourself too much credit :p.

I don't mind outside variables so much anymore. That's a part of what it means to play Smash bros competitively. It's an upsetting truth that I've come to accept. I have to give credit to the EC for helping me overcome outside variables though; the level of trash talking that occurred during the crew battle at Apex was...pretty ridiculous.

As for being a top 5 NA Marth, I don't think it matters. The only ones with credentials are Mike, and to a lesser extent, Havok. Every other Marth has yet to reach the bar Mike/Havok have set, let alone come anywhere near it. It's almost embarrassing in a way, but I can't blame the other Marth players for this; Marth is very hard to play at the top level.

I don't play Marth that much anymore. I play MK. MK is easy. He has safe pokes and almost no lag time. All of his moves comes out very fast and are hard to react to. Subsequently, he has great punishes. His recovery is far and away the best. That is all a character needs to excel in a tournament environment. You have to have amazing reaction time and extensive knowledge of both your character and MK in order to beat MK. You'll need to take a lot of risks too, at least more than MK.

Anyway, enough digressing about MK, I don't play Marth enough anymore to deserve any kind of consideration for top 5. My credentials are old and stale. However, I thank Vato for the support! :)

That's it from me.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Bardulls post pretty much completely proves why we should temp ban MK. It's not because he's OP'd or broken, it's because he makes the game so easy that players drop their mains just so they can get easier wins, therefore halting the progression of other character meta games.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bardulls post pretty much completely proves why we should temp ban MK. It's not because he's OP'd or broken, it's because he makes the game so easy that players drop their mains just so they can get easier wins, therefore halting the progression of other character meta games.
Lol

You know what the metagame is, right? Working as hard as possible to cover your flaws, and hope your bare strengths carry you to victory. That is the metagame for every character at this moment. After... probably a year and a half or two, that's what started to form. The general concept of how to play a character and what to do against every character sadly has not changed. Pikachu for example:

CG's were found out for him. Not the buffered ones, but just regular ones like Fthrow to Fthrow to Usmash. People said "Ok, getting grabbed by him can hurt. His range is small however, maybe I can take advantage of that by spacing ranged attacks. Possibly rising in the air with an aerial or retreating a hitbox. Something that will make him work hard to get inside."

Now look at Pika. It's the same thing. Sure, more devastating CG's and footstool locks threatened to work if you don't defend yourself have been found, but has anything "general" or core about fighting against him changed? Frankly, no. For other characters, it's been the same thing whether your name is Diddy or Olimar or Dedede or Luigi or ZSS or TL or whatever.

We are reaching a point in the game where there's not much more depth to explore. The exception to this hopefully is the broader, greater usage of SDI. Of everything we know of in this game, the 1 thing that has the most potential to turn the entire game upside down is SDI, IMO, and we're not even close to using that "resource" well.

I personally am putting any and all possible hope I have for the salvation of this game's balance into the future application of SDI. It can change so much for the game, in both a positive and negative manner I believe. We've barely scratched the surface of what's reasonably possible, due to a lack of effort on the part of tournament players. If it's taken a step further, the game might look incredible.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Scabe is from Australia, this is USA, Canada, and Mexico only.

Even if Scabe would be on there hands down if this was World Wide.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
^lol that doesn't sound like a compliment since ur basically saying hes 2 years behind xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom