• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Best 2D RPGs

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1409]The Top 5 Best 2D RPGs[/drupal]

If I learned anything from my last top five list (other than the fact that you'll get flamed if you don't have the most overrated crap on said list), its that these little lists provide quite a bit of amusement for me. So anyway, I was playing Final Fantasy VI today when I thought, "I should make a list of the best 2D RPGs." And this is the result.

5: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

First thing I want to say is this, Zelda is an RPG. Even Nintendo agrees with me. Now, onto why I choose this game. A Link to the Past is one of the best Zelda games (up there with Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess) out there. It was one of the finest Action RPGs of it's time, and still is one of the best Action RPGs I've ever played. The game took the game play elements of the last two Zelda titles and improved them vastly, creating an excellent experience that outdoes many similar games even today.

4: Golden Sun

I remember when I first bought this game, I remember hearing a lot of good things about it. And often when I hear a ton of praise for a game, it gets me interested rather than zealous. So I picked this game up and was blown away, it was everything I had expected and more. Golden Sun had a rather unique magic system in it that made character customization fresh and interesting, it didn't have the most original story but made up for that with a likable cast and the second best graphics that I've ever seen on the Gameboy Advance.

3: Magi-Nation

Okay, raise your hand if you've ever heard of this game. Anyone? I didn't think so. Magi-Nation is the single most obscure game that I've ever played, which is one of the reasons why it can kick the *** of many big-name RPGs. Often I see this game compared to Pokemon, as they both have the same base concept. Capture various creatures to do battle with. And Magi-Nation kicks the *** of Pokemon, hands down. The battle system is original and rather strategic, as you must beat both your opponent and his/her creatures. The game also had a charming storyline with some funny as hell dialog.

2: Final Fantasy VI

I really wanted to put this as number one, I really did. But the game that took that spot was just a little bit better, just a little. So, Final Fantasy VI, the best in the Final Fantasy series which is on equal levels with Final Fantasy IX. I really wish that it was this game that got all of the praise that that overrated disappointment Final Fantasy VII got. Kefka could kick the *** of that silly, black-coat wearing, white-haired jerk Sephiroth and his ungodly long sword any day of the week. The game has an awesome cast, an incredible storyline, especially for it's time, and has one of the best soundtracks that I've ever heard in a game.

1: Chrono Trigger

When it comes to most games, I usually just write off "classics" as overrated junk that is only good because of nostalgia and fanboyism. And did it feel like a swift slap to the face when I played Chrono Trigger and found that it actually deserves the praise it gets. Chrono Trigger, an amazing game that had one of the best and most original stories I've ever seen in a game, interesting and unique characters, and it had Akira Toriama's work written all over it. **** I love that game.

kr3wman

Smash Master
GS cast likable?

Says list is not biased and then faps to Chrono Trigger?

All top 5 games are there 100% based on personal opinion and then complains about people who make biased lists?

finalark strikes again.

AND WTF IS MY POKEMAAAAANNNNS

Ayla ruins Chrono Trigger for me. Terrible, terrible character.
The only character I liked was the robot.

It's like fuel-powered owning.

finalark

SNORLAX
GS cast likable?

Says list is not biased and then faps to Chrono Trigger?

All top 5 games are there 100% based on personal opinion and then complains about people who make biased lists?

finalark strikes again.

AND WTF IS MY POKEMAAAAANNNNS
And yes the Golden Sun cast was likable, I liked them anyway. I'm sorry if you didn't but we're all bias, aren't we?

When did I say that the list wasn't biased?

All lists are biased, and I hate people who flame me for not leaning toward their bias.

Kr3man strikes again.

And Magi-Nation kicks the *** of pokemans.

@Straked

I never finished Mother 2 or Mother 3, heck, I didn't even get far enough into them to make a firm opinion. During the summer I plan on finishing Mother 3.

D

Deleted member

Although I agree with your list for the most part, but I swear you're writing these to piss off the Smashboards fanboy community.

finalark

SNORLAX
Although I agree with your list for the most part, but I swear you're writing these to piss off the Smashboards fanboy community.
I actually write these for my own amusement (and hopefully the amusement of others). And I probably write them to piss of fanboys too, but I'm not sure.

D

Deleted member

Smashboards has a huge fanboy section, so don't get yourself killed.

LewsTherin

Smash Cadet
Golden Sun, that's an awesome pick I wouldn't of thought of. Myself I would replace LoZ because it's more of an action game, probably with Pokemon Yellow.

Lufia II > ALL

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
DID SOMEONE MENTION FINAL FANTASY VI?!

Although I don't agree that LttP is an RPG, even though it's an amazing game.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
And did it feel like a swift slap to the face when I played Chrono Trigger and found that it actually deserves the praise it gets. .
****ing yes.

I definitely need to play Golden Sun. I'm trying very hard to get my hands on one.

I have the fortune of playing FFVI right now though. It's actually hard!! DDD:

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I knew Jam would keep up with the FF IV meme.
Although I like how he Wobbles people even more.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
FFVI is the ONLY FF I've ever played, and it was pretty sweet. I can play the AMAZING Boss Battle Theme on teh Piano. In fact I did for a talent show during my sophomore year in high school. It was epic, as is the game.

bobson

Smash Lord
I came into this thread expecting to see no Mother games on the list and prepared to shout "THERE ARE NO MOTHER GAMES ON THIS LIST, YOU ILLITERATE PHILISTINE" at the OP, and I did indeed see no Mother games on the list, but someone had already pointed that out in the first reply.
I was so intent on doing it, too...

kr3wman

Smash Master
Well, we're all fanboys of something. And I've had to deal with Kr3man every now and then, I think that I can handle just about anything that the fanboys throw at me.
At least I'm not a biased fanboy like somebody who makes alot of threads about his personal opinions.

You see, the GS cast is horribly bland. Ther are so bland that, even after running through the games 2 or 3 times, I do not remember their names at all. Yes, I remember Isaac and Felix, but that's probably because Isaac is an assist trophy and brawl and Felix had the most dialogue in the second one. Heck, I dont even remember the names of the summons and thats what I was looking at atleast 60% of the time.

finalark

SNORLAX
At least I'm not a biased fanboy like somebody who makes alot of threads about his personal opinions.
If you're a fanboy, you're going to be bias, Mr. OoT is the best game ever. And stop acting like you're this perfect gift from God who has absolutely no bias and who's opinion is the one and only truth.

AfroQT

Smash Master

You see, the GS cast is horribly bland. Ther are so bland that, even after running through the games 2 or 3 times, I do not remember their names at all. Yes, I remember Isaac and Felix, but that's probably because Isaac is an assist trophy and brawl and Felix had the most dialogue in the second one. Heck, I dont even remember the names of the summons and thats what I was looking at atleast 60% of the time.
ROFL this makes no sense.
You didnt give a single logical reason.

You just said "because i didnt like the characters, they must be bland"
Talk about bias opinions, you just rode off a whole game because YOU didnt like it...

Making threads about personal opinions doesnt make someone a biased fanboy....making stupid posts lke yours where you pretty much say "this games cast is bland cuz when i played i didnt like them" is what makes a biased fanboy.

I dont stay in the user blog section much.
Just thought i'd point out that horrible excuse for a post.

kr3wman

Smash Master
senseless post
I dont remember the name of the characters even if I ran through the games multiple times, which is why I say there are bland. I dont remember any of them doing something so that any of them would stand out. Always the 'Oh lets save the planet' and other random sequences of speech I dont even remember, again. The only thing I remember is that in the second one they were trying to seal off alchemy because it was killing the planet, but seriously that's just everywhere these days, with the word alchemy replaced by religion, magic, dark magic, Jenovah, Technology, the relics of the ancients or what not.

Anyways, I do think that my reason for them being bland was in the original post. If you like to skip entire sentences while reading other people's post it's not my problem either. Just though I would point out that horrible of a post.

>:l

EDIT : And I LIKED Golden Sun, why the hell would I run through it multiple times if I didn't?

You really made no sense.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
1-Chrono Trigger
2-Golden Sun
3-A Link to The Past(but I`m not finished with it yet)
4-Final Fantasy IV
5-Final Fantasy II

Can`t think of too many.
And my friend saidFFVI is the worst of them all (besides XII) So I`m a little Sceptical about playing it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You shouldn't have mixed Action RPG's with Strategy RPG's.

Also, I think the mother and pokemon games are more memorable than Golden Sun.

pokesmashfighter

Smash Cadet
Hit your friend, really hard for me. VI was amazing and XII was my second favorite.
Tell me something,finalark. Do you HATE nastolgia? It make you happy, It makes games better, and It reminds you of good times. But I can
't
see how it is a bad thing.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
I would, but he`s my friend...
and is like 8 years older than me,
AAANNND he just said its the worst out of all of them but is still
good I should have said.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNND....
Ok:)

TO POKESMASH-
nostalgia makes games better, but that doesnt
always mean it is better, and if I was having bad times
while playing a game, it would make me like that game worse,
Like when I was playing the ice/fire dungeon on Majora`s Mask
and had a fever and a really sore throat, all I can think about whenever I
play it now is my throat hurting :( BUT, I still know its a good game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would, but he`s my friend...
and is like 8 years older than me,
AAANNND he just said its the worst out of all of them but is still
good I should have said.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNND....
Ok:)
I don't see how anyone can say it's the worst

FFVI is the second most popular Final Fantasy game, only surpassed by VII

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
People have different tastes though so I guess
I`ll play it. but I have to beat FF8 first, and FF5 if they remake for D.S.

And also, I didn`t think FF12 was that bad, I actually liked it,
it just has some pointless characters, and I missed the Turned based
fighting.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I dont remember the name of the characters even if I ran through the games multiple times, which is why I say there are bland. I dont remember any of them doing something so that any of them would stand out. Always the 'Oh lets save the planet' and other random sequences of speech I dont even remember, again. The only thing I remember is that in the second one they were trying to seal off alchemy because it was killing the planet, but seriously that's just everywhere these days, with the word alchemy replaced by religion, magic, dark magic, Jenovah, Technology, the relics of the ancients or what not.

Anyways, I do think that my reason for them being bland was in the original post. If you like to skip entire sentences while reading other people's post it's not my problem either. Just though I would point out that horrible of a post.

>:l

EDIT : And I LIKED Golden Sun, why the hell would I run through it multiple times if I didn't?

You really made no sense.
SO like i said, you literaly said the same thing all over again. Your horrible at thinking..let me break it down for you.

Someone could say that they like the characters ONLY BECAUSE they remembered what they said clearly...and by your logic CLEARLY they are deep characters because they remembered.

What you are saying is because YOU dont remember them, they clearly are bland. In all your posts you didnt bring up any logical reasons for thema ctually being bland.

You did no comparisons to other games that do (in your opinion) have deep characters...
You didnt discuss character growth at all.

You just said that since you dont remember their speech...they clearly must be bland.
Essentially your going off your own biased opinion, and not making any logical sense at all..

You never gave a ACTUAL REASON for them being bland...rofl. And for someone that says the characters are bland..playing through the game multiple times doesnt make much sense but w/e...
My post makes plenty of safe...
Its yours thats ********.

finalark

SNORLAX
All you ever do is flame and troll, kr3man. And now that I think about it, you didn't have to balls to reply to what I said previously. That being:

And yes the Golden Sun cast was likable, I liked them anyway. I'm sorry if you didn't but we're all bias, aren't we?

When did I say that the list wasn't biased?

All lists are biased, and I hate people who flame me for not leaning toward their bias.

Kr3man strikes again.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
Wow, it`s amazing what some people go through, just to prove someone else wrong.

You can`t always be right!

kr3wman

Smash Master
All you ever do is flame and troll, kr3man. And now that I think about it, you didn't have to balls to reply to what I said previously. That being:
finalark dude, you're cool.

I have no problem with you and your blogs on whatnot. You may think I just troll to troll, but I agree with alot of stuff you say man. Of course, I don't say it, cause it would look stupid when I do my thing now wouldn't it.

I just like pointing inconsistencies in people's posts. Sure that may be trolling, but when people criticize others for doing something they're doing themselves (In this case trying to press forward biased opinions) I always think that someone has to point those out even if people think it's flaming.

Did I insult you? No.

Did I insult Afro-Thundah? No. I said his posts made no sense, which to anyone who had any bit of reading skills will completely understand my opinion.

Did Afro-thundah insult me? Yes. He says I'm horrible at thinking. Which to me is an insult.

Afro, let me clarify some things :

1. I completed GS1 and GS2 multiple times.
  2. That is because I liked those games very much because of their gameplay and the fact that I missed alot of stuff through my first playthroughs. I AGREE with Finalark that it is a fine RPG game that should be remembered.
  3. HOWEVER, that does NOT mean that I liked every part of the game. ONE of these parts being the characters themselves.
  4. There was no original character development : I remember most of it being 'OMG reunites with family' or 'OMG I found my origins'. I honestly cannot remember any of the names of the main cast that you control, and I know that I have a great memory when it comes to videogames. Of course, remembering how much hp that boss had or how much dmg this summon did is pretty much impossible after 3-4 years of not playing the game, not remembering who you controlled for the whole game? It just proves that, to me, these characters were not memorable.

Thank and good night since I have to go to bed.

>:3

EDIT : OMG I remember Jeena now. Was it felix sister? I can't remember ;)

Top Bottom