• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The top 22 most memorable moments in Pokemon History!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
As the title says this topic is to count down the top 22 moments in Pokemon History. Since we're already on the fourth this first post will feature four points in time.

"But Chill what makes you qualified to pick these!?"

Nothing. Which is why I along with my panel of unbiased judges will choose these. These "moments" can come from anywhere real world, video games and the TV show. While this list may feature some genuinely cool moments it should not be taken too seriously.

The countdown will begin at 22 and end on the 22nd of April with the release of Diamond and Pearl.

Pokemon moment Number 22.

The first episode of pokemon the anime airs! The show isn't really that good so it comes in at number 22. For this moment I thought I show a few pictures and give a little insight into the first episode. While searching for that I found something even better. I won't ruin it for you.

Click Here for cool stuff!

Pokemon moment number 21.

The first time you beat the eilte four. Remeber easily beating Lorelei and than getting owned be Lance's dragon types? Most guides at this time listing the dragon types only weakness as other dragons. Few people knew that you could easily beat them with an ice beam. Thank goodness for psychics, right?

Pokemon moment number 20.

The introduction of the dark type pokemon. Following up reason number 21 is this, finally psychic types didn't rule with an iron fist. If it weren't for dark types and moves like pursuit psychic pokemon would still be incredibly cheap.

Yeah!

Pokemon moment number 19.

The banned episodes. Who can forget the porygon who put hundredsof Japanese children into the hospital? Other banned episodes included one where the game warden repeatedly threatened Ash with a gun, one featuring Jynx was banned because she was seen as a stereotype. And then there was...

I hope you've enjoyed the first four "extrememly interesting moments in pokemon history". Stay tuned for more!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Memorable moment number 18

When those fake glitches first appeared. "Beat the elite four 82 times and your Mom will give you togepi." "Evolve eevee and you can get behing Bill's house." "Fight the elite four with a level 82 Pidgey and you can get Pikablu." And the most popular fake trick..."Move the truck and find a pokeball with Mew underneath."

Years later we learned it really was possible to catch Mew but by then everyone had move on to the other games.

Memorable moment number 17

When the first new pokemon were shown. It seemed like such an immpossibility. Sure new games had to come out some time but to actually see those new pokemon seemed like a suprise. Togepi first made an appearance in the anime. We were later shown Donphan, Snubble and Marril in the first movie. Being some of the first shown gave these guys an instant fanbase.

Later, when the new starters were shown I couldn't help but think they were fake. "Cyndaquils flames don't look like Charamanders", was my flawless reasoning on the matter. Totodile was too cool to be fake though.

More to come!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Memorable moment number 16

The release of the first pokemon movie! This movie was far from oscar worthy. Filled with terrible dialogue and weak story it wasn't the best anime around (or was it?). Still I enjoyed this movie and while that may have had something to do with the fact that I was 11, I say it was because this is a decent movie. Not the best but certainly not the worst. How can you hate a movie that manages to plug future games and shoves dozens of pokemon into a single shot? This movie was just too cool for the critics.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Seriously though i can still watch that movie and i didn't mind it at all i really loved it for some reason its just quirky and catches the essence of pokemon ya kno.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Mewtwo brought on a new level of violence to Pokemon that was sadly unused in future episodes/movies. He should be at number 1.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
I hate the truck I spent so many hours trying to move the stupid thing was there even a reason for it to be there? I swear was it put there by the programmers to mess with our heads. The anime is a classic .

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Memorable moment number 15

The release of pokemon stadium! This game had almost everything a pokemon fan could want. You could transfer your pokemon from the Gameboy games to battle in 3D and play a host of mini-games at the theme park. Included was the ability to play your Gameboy games on the TV instead of the small screen. If you didn't have your own pokemon a rental section was included to try out different pokemon.

In addition, by winning challenges you could obtain rare pokemon. Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Eevee were among the prizes. If you coulf beat Mewtwo you could win a "Amnesia Psyduck", of course this was when amnesia greatly increased both special attack and special defense.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I agree with everything but for the Pokémon Movie. I mean, at that time, Pokémon was the ****, and a movie with them was an even greater ****. And Mewtwo's sad story really touched me too.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Is it sad that I forgot how the movie even went?

I just remember the Pokemon song remix, and the Donphan at the beginning.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Is it sad that I forgot how the movie even went?

I just remember the Pokemon song remix, and the Donphan at the beginning.
That's sad, if you like Pokémon. If not... Well, whatever.

Mewtwo is cloned out of the DNA of Mew and hates all humans for that. So he kinda decides that he will terminate the human race and replace it with his own Pokémon-clones. But to do that he needs strong Pokémon, so he calls for the best trainers in the country to his island where he steals their Pokémon and clones them. However, thanks to Ash, the real Pokémon gets freed and a battle between the clones and real Pokémon, as well as Mewtwo and Mew begins. But they're all equal so the battle leads to nothing but pain and suffering. So Ash tries to stop them all but gets turned to stone by the attacks of Mew and Mewtwo. The Pokémons tears revive Ash and so on... The rest can you read on wikipedia.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Oh yeeaaah... no wonder I forgot about it. Must've blocked it out of my memory.

That movie sucked! I think it was what led me to the 'Too cool for Pokemon' phase.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Memorable moment number 15
In addition, by winning challenges you could obtain rare pokemon. Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Eevee were among the prizes. If you coulf beat Mewtwo you could win a "Amnesia Psyduck", of course this was when amnesia greatly increased both special attack and special defense.
Don't forget being able to teach Pikachu Surf if you beat the highest rank of Masterball battling without a continue AND have pika as one of your 3 pokemon in EACH battle.

Though I really hope I didn't ruin one of your 22 yet to be posted. :)

Master WGS

Smash Lord
*Thinks the revolution of Netbattle will be somewhere in the top five.*

*Also thinks that Pikachu look-alike car (though not an event but an object) should be somewhere on the list.*

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Memorable Moment number 14

The opening of the New York pokecenter! Nintendo opened this store on November 16th, 2001. The only two other pokecenters were located in Japan so it as a big deal to see one open in the US. Or at least it should have been. Lack of advertising, combined with the fading of pokemons popularity may have been why few knew about the store. The fact that it opened just two months after 9/11 may have also contributed.

The pokecenter has since been remodled into a Nintendo-centric store rather than a pokecenter.

Memorable Moment number 13

The pokemon series first 3D RPG. With the release of the first screens pokefans were teased with the possibility of playing as an evil trainer. It turned out you still played the role of the good guy you just had to help evil pokemon by snagging them from the bad guys. Sadly, Collosseum suffered from a lack of exploration forcing you to spend roughly %80 of the game battling. In addition it lacked the variety of pokemon the handhelds offered.Even the title was spelled wrong.

Still, Collosseum allowed for 3D battles with your Gameboy trained pokemon. You could also traded over Collosseum raised pokemon who knew rare or impossible moves. Many of these pokemon had been "missing" for some years.

Memorable Moment number 12

This one had 12 year olds across the country running for their hankys. Remember when Ash almost released his Pikachu? Arguably the most touching moment in the series. Ash wants to leave Pikachu behind to be with his own kind. Just like he does with every other good pokemon he gets. As Ash tries to leave Pikachu runs to catch up. Ash cries and so does everyone else.

Except me because I never saw this.

Memorable Moment number 11

While we're at let's talk about Pikachu some more. Pokemon Yellow was a great update to Red/Blue. and the first pokemon game bought by yours truly. Seriously though, Pikachu follows you around! It's amazing! Not really. Older gamers could tell it was just a rip-off of Tamogotchis and a cash in on Pikachu's popularity. But you couldn't have convinced me of that. The game had a few graphical upgrades and extras. Such as the ability to obtain all of the starters. Yellow also started the trend of releasing a third edition of each series.

Memorable Moment number 10

I think it's worth mentioning the crazy amount of "pokestuff" that was seen everywhere. Toys, lunchboxes, clothes and TV. At one point pokemon was everywhere. And the fans ate it up. Who didn't think this was the coolest car ever?

Obviously they didn't.

Memorable Moment number 9

Fire Red and Leaf Green. The remakes of the orginal games. This game gave players the chance to relieve the "old days". Complete with a graphical and new areas this game has left some people wanting for a remake of a cetain other game. I almost feel like they should have changed the name of Leaf Green to Water Blue.

Memorable Moment number 8

While they may not be my favorite games my partners have demanded that I place Ruby and Sapphire on this list. Because I don't like them I will say nothing more about them. Hah! Loophole! Ok, Ru/Sa did add the incredibly useful traits and the incredibly interesting natures. There was also something about double battles or something like that.

Memorable Moment number 7

Another game? This one goes not to G/S but to the time function within the game. This feature was so cool it get's a mention all to itself. The introduction of time allowed for specific events to occur on certain days and times. Some pokemon only came out during one or the other. Certain event's even took place only during some days. It may not have been convienent to wait for another week to role around but it added more fun to the game.

I still remember riding to school in the morning and finding pokemon I had never seen before. I loved it!

Memorable Moment number 6

The pokemon spin-off. This goes out to every pokemon spin-off. Wether it be good or bad. Developed carefully or rushed. This one is for every Dash, Channel, Trozei, Hey you Pikachu, Puzzle League and Snap out there. Thank you for your unnecessary contributions to the franchise.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
[ Memorable Moment number 10

I think it's worth mentioning the crazy amount of "pokestuff" that was seen everywhere. Toys, lunchboxes, clothes and TV. At one point pokemon was everywhere. And the fans ate it up. Who didn't think this was the coolest car ever?

Obviously they didn't.
True. This was the coolest car.

.....what?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Memorable Moment Number 5

Team Rocket is blasting off again! Wow. How did these guys make number 5? I guess I just wasn't paying attention but here they are.

Team Rocket's members include Jesse, James and Mewoth. They came from different backgrounds and we have learned a lot about them through their stories. The're almost as much a part of the show as the main characters now.

Team Rocket began the series as a serious threat to Ash but they've become the comic relief of the show. It's kind of sad really. They used to actually strike fear into the populace but now the're just an annoyance. On top of that the "blasting off again" line has become old. Still, it would be hard to imagine the show without them.

Memorable Moment Number 4

Pokemon Gold and Silver.

Some of the features of Gold and Silver have already been mentioned. This is meant for the actual games. Gold and Silver were the sequels to Red/Blue and Yellow and they definately lived up the the hype.

First Gold and Silver introduced the time system. Days of the week and time of the day allowed for unique pokemon captures, events and item collection. Remember the seven siblings scattered throughout Johto?

Gold and Silver introduced 100 new pokemon and two new types, Steel and Dark. It also introduced new evolution methods. The happiness method and the hold item trade. Pre-evolutions made their first apperance here. G/S even added a new special stat.

G/S mixed things up a bit storywise as you faced a Team Rocket attempted to regroup. Your rival trainer even has a bit of a darkside and steals his first pokemon.

The game contained a number of other inclusion including held items and the ability to transfer your pokemon from the older games. To round this all out you could even travel back to the world of Kanto a few years after the events of Red and Blue.

Fire Red and Leaf Green have left many hoping for a remake. Even if they don't get one Gold and Silver have remained many fans favorite games, even moreso than Red and Blue.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
The first time I saw Donphan in the movie, it made me cry. A tire-elephant, who doesn't want to own something like that!

And I'm excited to see number 1, I think I know what it is though.

Radnortuws

Smash Journeyman
When my friends and I went to see the movie in the theater, we cheered wildly when Ash turned to stone, followed by a collective groan when he was revived. The evil looks of tens of soccer moms...priceless.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Radnortuws's story reminded me of something. I read what happened in the first pokemon movie months before it was released in America. Being a stupid little kid at the time, I tried my hardest to ruin it for everyone by yelling out plot points to the people waiting in line.

Good times.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
That's as cheap as driving past Harry Potter fans who wait for book 6 to come in front of the store, shouting at them that Snape kills Dumbledore.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Memorable Moment number 3

This goes not to the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl games but to some of there specific features. The panel and I have not yet played the games and it wouldn't feel right to put them so high on the list without first doing so.

The switch from special and attack to physical and ranged was a nice suprise. This is not only one of the most logical things to do but it's the coolest. While it may not turn things completely upside down it changes the way some Pokemon need to battle. Previously strong special attackers will now need a good attack to use moves like Thunder punch, or Ice punch. If they don't have the stentgh they'll need to switch to a different move.

On the other hand pokemon with high attack but low special attack can make use of this change quite effectively. Pokemon that you may not have seen before might become a little more popular now.

I also need to mention the "revolution" that is Wi-Fi battling and trading. Now gamers who were once isolated with their pokemon games can finally play against others. This opens up a window of opportunities. Oniline tourneys will hopefully find their way onto larger game sites, maybe even one run by Nintendo.

Wi-Fi also remedies the age old problem of version specific or trade evolution pokemon. If you didn't have a friend or additional copy you were screwed. Now this is no longer a problem. Now if only Gamefreak would give us a real reward for completing the pokedex...

Memorable Moment number 2

Red and Blue. The orginal pokemon games. Named Blue and Green in Japan when the games came stateside pokemon Green was dropped.

These are the games that started it all. If these games had failed ,and with the release of the first game Green they nearly did, we would not be enjoying the new games today.

Red and Blue introduced many to the world of pokeomn. Featuring 151 creatures the games always focused on teamwork. You had to work with your friends to get all of the pokemon and needed to trade for certain ones to evolve.

These games are still a fan favortie to this day. A deceptively,simple but great game, Red and Blue will long be remembered as the ones that started the "gotta catch em' all" craze.

But if Red and Blue come in at number two what could be number one? Check back tommorow on Diamond and Pearls release date to find out!

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm liking everything so far but one question: Weren't the original Japanese releases RED and Green, as opposed to Blue and Green? I was informed that Blue replaced Green version, not Red.

Anyway can't wait for #1!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm liking everything so far but one question: Weren't the original Japanese releases RED and Green, as opposed to Blue and Green?
Yup, hence there being Fire Red and Leaf green.

Though I think he's allowed that mistake with doing all this work. Bravo Chil, bravo.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
We're finally here at number 1. With all of these great games and memories behind us what could possibly top them all?

Here's a hint: This games winner is Pikachu!

That's right pokemons appearance in the first Super Smash Bros. game! This was quite an honor as most of characters featured in the game had been created years before. And yet pokemon was popular enough to make it in.

The first Smash Bros. game featured two pokemon, Pikachu and Jigglypuff. At the time these two were among the most featured in the anime. Pikachu was one of the best characters in the game. Jigglypuff was available as a hidden character. I think most of us had no idea what Jiggllypuff rest move did. I assumed it would restore health and when she just sat there I wrote her off as a sucky character.

Other pokemon related features include: Saffron City, the best stage because it had random pokemon that jumped out to attack. Pokeballs contained, Hitmonlee, Beedrill, Meowth, Staryu, Blastoise,Charizard, Weezing, Snorlaz and possibly others that I cannot remember.

Pokemon made another appearance in Super Smash Bros. Melee. This time the game featured two new pokemon, Pichu and Mewtwo. Sadly, Pichu is a clone and Mewtwo has many problems making them not so great characters. In addition Pikachu was deemed too powerful and was nerfed for this game.

Other pokemon related features include: A pokemon stadium stage and a pokefloats stage. Pokeballs contained, Marril, Cyndaquil, Venasaur, Blastoise, Charizard, Unknown, Chikorita, Ho-oh, Lugia, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Togepi, Mew, Celebi, Staryu, Clefariy, Articuno,Zapdos, Moltres, Chansey, Goldeen, Bellosom, Wobbuffet, Scizor and Porygon2.

We leave off at Super Smash Bros. Brawl. So far we have only seen Pikachu return. All I can say is he looks like he lost some weight. What other pokemon will be joining him?

So why did the Smash series come first? Because as much as we might like pokemon it's really only a distraction until Brawl comes out.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Hahaha. The last line is win.

I hope some 12 year old doesn't get my copy. I refuse to reserve.
Edit: I gots me one! Take that crying girl behind me in line!

Top Bottom