• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Toon Link vs. Young Link Comparison Thread-MAJOR OVERHAUL COMING (Sticky please?)

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
That's right, I'm using my 1000th post for this thread. A lot of work and testing will be going into this, so please enjoy!

Attention Melee Young Link mains! Sad that your beloved Young Link didn't return from Melee? Well, don't fret, for Brawl has brought forth a new challenger: Toon Link! Hailing from The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass rather than Ocarina of Time, Toon Link is what could be considered the spiritual successor to Young Link. Many Young Link mains were sad to hear that Young Link didn't make the cut, but some jumped for joy when Toon Link was announced. Of course, while the two incarnations of Link's childhood play rather similarly, there are many key differences that seperate them. I will point out the key diffences in the playstyles of the two characters so that those who mained Young Link in Melee (myself included) can have a better time playing with Toon Link in Brawl.

Specials

Bow
Young Link
In Melee, Young Link's bow was a fire arrow, and would cause damage upon the initial hit, as well as lasting damage from the fire. They also fly further than Toon Link's arrows and do slightly more damage.

Toon Link
Toon Link's bow does not fly nearly as fast as Young Link's does, and it does slightly less damage, also. It also flies slightly further than Young Link's does. Nonetheless, it is a very useful attack for long range combat.

Boomerang
Young Link
Young Link's boomerang doesn't fly as far as Link's, nor does it have the knockback, but it is very effective for spacing and comboing.

Toon Link
Like the bow, Toon Link's boomerang has less speed and power than Young Link's. Aside from that, the only real difference is the appearance.

Bomb
Young Link
Young Link's bomb works very similarly to Link's in that they explode on a timer or when thrown with force, except that they have less knockback and damage.

Toon Link
Toon Link's bombs are one special move that completely dwarfs Young Link's. The major difference is the fact that Toon Link's bombs have a very deceptive range with an explosion almost double the size of Link's bombs. They also have a Wind Waker style of explosions.

Spin Attack
Young Link
Young Link's Spin Attack is different from Link's in that it is a multi-hit-small-damage attack rather than a single strike with large damage.

Toon Link
Toon Link's Spin Attack works almost exactly the same as Young Link's as should be used in the same situations.

Overview: Specials
Young Link's projectile game was nothing to scoff at in Melee, and was carried over accoringly to Toon Link in Brawl. While Toon Link's arrows and boomerang move slower and have less power, his bombs have greater range and knockback compared to Young Link's. The Spin Attack works the same, and should be used in the same situations. Overall, Toon Link's projectiles move slower, but are still great for damage building and combos.

Jab
Young Link
Young Link's jab attack is a three slice hit. Right, left, stab. If you keep pressing A, Young Link will do a repeated stab until you release the button.

Toon Link
Toon Link's jab is the same as Young Link's, except it has two key differences. The first is that you can hold the A button to do the attack, as opposed to having to repeatedly press A, and second, he cannot do the infinite stab attack the Young Link could.

Written by IWontGetOverTheDam. Pictures found on Brawl Central, Detstar, Smash Bros. DOJO!! and others, all through Google. Credit goes to the original sources.

Want to help out? Tell me anything I missed or what I should add. Any feedback is appreciated.

Miku

Smash Rookie
You forgot to mention that Toon Link's arrows can't be shot angling very much downward with a tap, unlike Young Link. Also Toon Link is floatier, his bair is a sword slice instead of two kicks and is more versatile, and his dair has become a stall-then-fall.

Jube Jube

Smash Rookie
Not sure what else to add but that I disagree with the fact that Toon Link's arrows have less range than Young Link's. Try playign melee one more time, charging Young Link's arrows or FD and shooting the,. Then do it again in brawl and look at how far the arrows fly. Trust me, it should be obvious whose arrows fly farther. ;)

Other than that, I agree with everything and think this thread is an awesome idea!

Miku

Smash Rookie
Not sure what else to add but that I disagree with the fact that Toon Link's arrows have less range than Young Link's. Try playign melee one more time, charging Young Link's arrows or FD and shooting the,. Then do it again in brawl and look at how far the arrows fly. Trust me, it should be obvious whose arrows fly farther. ;)

Other than that, I agree with everything and think this thread is an awesome idea!
Yeah, that, and I like I said, the two vastly more important things to note about the arrows is that A) young link's arrows had a wider range of different angles, and B) toon link's travel more slowly.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Ah, I see. Yes, you're right. I played a bit more Melee yester day and I see that TL's fly a bit further. I was just confused because TL's so much slower.

...Oh, and one thing: You know the stock heads in classic mode? Lke the ones in our profiles? These things.
Does anyone have one for Young Link in Melee? It would be greatly appreciated.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
*refuses to let thread die*

I added the character select icons to the names. What do you guys think of those? I'm not sure I like them.

Miku

Smash Rookie
I think they can probably work. Try adding more breaks (so said icons don't touch other pictures) and shrinking them a bit, since they have low resolution.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I replaced them with the character-head icons for now. I'll get better versions of those up, preferably without backgrounds that show.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
@VietGeek: Oh, wow. Thank you so much. You have won the thread.

1. Yeah. I'm gonna do his the rest of his moveset. I'm also gonna add in damage percents when I find my copy of Melee.
2. If you could get those pictures, you would be considered a godsend. My capture card if messed up, so I need to get a new one.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
Young Link doesn't deserve to be compared to Toon Link. Just Kidding.:chuckle:

I like Toon Link better because he is less of a clone.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Aight. I don't want this to die. I'm about to go on vacation for a week, but when I get back, there'll be a major overhaul on this thread. Look forward to it.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Itty bitty bump. Yes, this project is still live and the major overhaul is coming within a few weeks. Check back regularly!!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Need to update the pictures.
Sticky? >_>

Top Bottom