• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tingle for SSB4 Thread - Assist Trophy Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll cut into the current discussion and say that Tingle is the Yoshi of the Zelda series. He is an NPC in the Zelda games who branched out to have his own games, just like Yoshi in Mario.

Yoshi is hardly relevant to the plot of any Mario, just like Tingle.

EDIT: and they're both green, too. :troll:

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Ah. SPM doesn't count as a real PM game though :troll:.
Have you played it? It's not an RPG but it's fantastic as it's own thing.

I'm just saying, if a character were iconic to a series that character should at the very least be on 1 of 6+ game covers. Clearly the game developers do not see him as iconic enough or they would have put him at least on the WW remade cover where all the important characters are shown.
No , they just see him as iconic enough to give him his own series of games, with its own series of cover art, on which he is prominently featured. Even if what and who is "iconic" was determined solely by the developers (it really isn't), you're still not making any sense.

By this logic we should get Paper Luigi to represent the Paper Mario franchise because he has a large role in the games, but a small role in the story (but still a much larger one than Tingle).
Again... wut? That's another total false equivalency. Paper Mario doesn't already have five characters representing its series (but if it did, you can bet your ass Luigi would be one of them). And Luigi is incredibly central to Super Paper Mario, but I would say that Tingle's role in Wind Waker completely eclipses his role in the first two Paper Mario games.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
By this logic we should get Paper Luigi to represent the Paper Mario franchise because he has a large role in the games, but a small role in the story (but still a much larger one than Tingle).
I don't know by which logic you mean, but it certainly isn't mine. The Paper Mario franchise is a bizarre parallel to draw to the Zelda franchise. Paper Mario doesn't already have five characters in SSB. There's no "Paper Luigi" spinoff series. If you thought I meant Tingle should be chosen explicitly because he has little connection to the main story then you're mistaken - I suggested that relevance to the main story doesn't exclusively determine a character's significance. Zelda already has its three central characters in Smash, as well as alternate depictions of two of them. I see no reason why the series' fourth most recurring character should be discounted when talking about a potential newcomer.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'll cut into the current discussion and say that Tingle is the Yoshi of the Zelda series. He is an NPC in the Zelda games who branched out to have his own games, just like Yoshi in Mario.

HOLD IT!

Yoshi was counted as his own series since Smash 64, but in Melee and Brawl Tingle was part of Zelda's universe!

TAKE THAT!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
HOLD IT!

Yoshi was counted as his own series since Smash 64, but in Melee and Brawl Tingle was part of Zelda's universe!

TAKE THAT!

First off, let's take a look at the release dates. At the time of Melee's release, Tingle only had one appearance, in Majora's Mask. Brawl began development in 2005, and Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland was released in late 2006 in Japan. Tingle's Balloon Fight DS was released in June 2007, and seeing that Brawl did NOT reference any games which were in development at the same time, like Super Mario Galaxy, it's perfectly normal that Tingle was counted as a Zelda character.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

First off, let's take a look at the release dates. At the time of Melee's release, Tingle only had one appearance, in Majora's Mask. Brawl began development in 2005, and Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland was released in late 2006 in Japan. Tingle's Balloon Fight DS was released in June 2007, and seeing that Brawl did NOT reference any games which were in development at the same time, like Super Mario Galaxy, it's perfectly normal that Tingle was counted as a Zelda character.

HOLD IT!

Why would Sakurai change something that's already been established in Smash!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I always saw Tingle as more of the Wario of the Zelda series: a bizarre funhouse mirror version of the main character created as a developer in joke, who then got his own spin-off series that has next to nothing to do with the original series but maintains some of its spirit and conventions. Plus they're both creepy, greedy little fat guys. The Yoshi games may as well be mainline Mario games compared to Wario and DK, they share a lot of the same characters and enemies and Yoshi still makes regular appearances in the main Mario platformers even though Wario and DK don't. Tingle, like Wario, stopped making overt appearances in the main series after he got his own, and the aesthetic and plot of his series have very little if anything at all to do with Zelda, give or take a few easter egg references and a Deku Tree, just like Wario has his own enemies, gameplay elements, and cast of supporting characters that are completely distinct and so far completely isolated from the Mario series. The Tingle games are a little different in that they reuse a lot of names for locations and things like that, but the locations themselves only resemble the Zelda ones in the most surface way.

Personally, I think Wario really should be in the main Mario games, and that a four-player co-op game like Super Mario World 3D that starred Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi and combined elements from both the Mario and Wario platformers would be absolutely amazing, but that's neither here nor there.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I always saw Tingle as more of the Wario of the Zelda series: a bizarre funhouse mirror version of the main character created as a developer in joke, who then got his own spin-off series that has next to nothing to do with the original series but maintains some of its spirit and conventions. Plus they're both creepy, greedy little fat guys. The Yoshi games may as well be mainline Mario games compared to Wario and DK, they share a lot of the same characters and enemies and Yoshi still makes regular appearances in the main Mario platformers even though Wario and DK don't. Tingle, like Wario, stopped making overt appearances in the main series after he got his own, and the aesthetic and plot of his series have very little if anything at all to do with Zelda, give or take a few easter egg references and a Deku Tree, just like Wario has his own enemies, gameplay elements, and cast of supporting characters that are completely distinct and so far completely isolated from the Mario series. The Tingle games are a little different in that they reuse a lot of names for locations and things like that, but the locations themselves only resemble the Zelda ones in the most surface way.

Personally, I think Wario really should be in the main Mario games, and that a four-player co-op game like Super Mario World 3D that starred Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi and combined elements from both the Mario and Wario platformers would be absolutely amazing, but that's neither here nor there.
Relevant:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Tingle is an odd case for me. I don't necessary hate his character nor would I totally be against him being in Smash Bros., I just question the idea of him being a Zelda newcomer.

Just to clarify, when I say 'Zelda newcomer', I'm thinking of an addition to the mainline Zelda series, as in, the characters with the Triforce logo.

So in this case, if Tingle were to be added and he represented his own line of games with a rupee symbol or something, I wouldn't consider him a 'Zelda newcomer', like how I wouldn't consider Dixie Kong a Mario newcomer despite being in that universe.

A character's significance isn't determined by their importance 'to the main story'. That sounds to me like a limitation designed specifically to exclude Tingle and include Impa - a character with considerably fewer appearances than Tingle, little screen time in most of the games she does appear in, no spin-off series and (seeing as Sheik is returning) much less to bring to SSB. A character's significance should encompass the series as a whole, in which case Tingle far outclasses any other potential newcomer.
I disagree with that. Of course, how many times a character has appeared in a series is something to consider, but it's not the only thing to consider. Otherwise, I suppose we'd ought to put in Anna from Fire Emblem because she appears in the most of the series, despite not having much of a huge role in those games. I'd say it's about how many times the character in question has appeared, and what the character does in those appearences...and as it stands, while Tingle has appeared a bit more often than characters like Midna and Ghirahim, he's still not really that important to the actual mainline Zelda games. Look at the playable Zelda roster:

Link - The protagonist and main hero of the series, represents the Triforce of Courage.
Zelda - The deuteragonist of the series and Link's ally, represents the Triforce of Wisdom.
Ganondorf - The antagonist of the series, represents the Triforce of Power.
Toon Link - The alternate form of the protagonist, who not only represents a good chunk of the Zelda timeline, but also the protagonist's time as a child (While TP Link represents his adulthood)

As you can see, the four above aren't just in because "they're in a bunch of zelda games ahuh", they're all in because of their very important and central roles within the Zelda series (Sheik is the exception because of her fame in Smash and the transformation mechanic lost). I just don't think Tingle is a really important character in the context of Zelda. He's not the sidekick, the villain, etc, he's just a minor, if somewhat reoccuring shop keeper NPC character. The most he's ever been important was in Wind Waker, and that said role is what made him very hated in the West and is what kinda ultimately exiled him from the series.

But with that said, I'd be alright with Tingle if he represented his own series. Unlike in the Zelda series where he's a side character, he's the most important character in the context of his games, making him to the Tingle series as Link is to the Zelda series.

I'd compare Tingle to Yoshi, in a way. In most mainline Mario games, all Yoshi usually is basically a glorified power up, but in his own series, Yoshi is the star, and Smash recognizes that by making him his own series with his own symbol, despite technically being a Mario character. I feel like, had games like Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story not been made, we may of not had Yoshi playable in Smash. I just always felt making Tingle apart of the mainline Zelda cast, Triforce symbol and all, might as well be the day we strip Wario and Yoshi of their unique emblems and just make them mainline Mario characters (With the mushroom icon).

@ Speculator Speculator And about Impa, I think you might actually be wrong about Tingle appearing more than her. Looking at the Zelda Wiki:

Impa Appearances:

Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds
Tingle appearances:

Majora's Mask
Oracle of Ages
The Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap
So, it's not a huge much, but it appears that Impa has actually made about as much in-game appearances as Tingle has. Now, I don't care about/want Impa in and nor do I think she's that 'deserving' either, but I felt the need to point that out.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I would honestly prefer Tingle get the Tri-force icon. It also makes more sense in my view, considering Mario Kart has the Mario Icon.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I would honestly prefer Tingle get the Tri-force icon. It also makes more sense in my view, considering Mario Kart has the Mario Icon.
Mario Kart still stars Mario and co. while the Tingle games just star Tingle. From what I've seen, the Tingle games have a different enough feel and atmosphere to them much like Wario that I could easily see a rupee symbol made for Tingle.

Last edited:

FasdfGfaha

Smash Cadet
Tingle is an odd case for me. I don't necessary hate his character nor would I totally be against him being in Smash Bros., I just question the idea of him being a Zelda newcomer.

Just to clarify, when I say 'Zelda newcomer', I'm thinking of an addition to the mainline Zelda series, as in, the characters with the Triforce logo.

So in this case, if Tingle were to be added and he represented his own line of games with a rupee symbol or something, I wouldn't consider him a 'Zelda newcomer', like how I wouldn't consider Dixie Kong a Mario newcomer despite being in that universe.

I disagree with that. Of course, how many times a character has appeared in a series is something to consider, but it's not the only thing to consider. Otherwise, I suppose we'd ought to put in Anna from Fire Emblem because she appears in the most of the series, despite not having much of a huge role in those games. I'd say it's about how many times the character in question has appeared, and what the character does in those appearences...and as it stands, while Tingle has appeared a bit more often than characters like Midna and Ghirahim, he's still not really that important to the actual mainline Zelda games. Look at the playable Zelda roster:

Link - The protagonist and main hero of the series, represents the Triforce of Courage.
Zelda - The deuteragonist of the series and Link's ally, represents the Triforce of Wisdom.
Ganondorf - The antagonist of the series, represents the Triforce of Power.
Toon Link - The alternate form of the protagonist, who not only represents a good chunk of the Zelda timeline, but also the protagonist's time as a child (While TP Link represents his adulthood)

As you can see, the four above aren't just in because "they're in a bunch of zelda games ahuh", they're all in because of their very important and central roles within the Zelda series (Sheik is the exception because of her fame in Smash and the transformation mechanic lost). I just don't think Tingle is a really important character in the context of Zelda. He's not the sidekick, the villain, etc, he's just a minor, if somewhat reoccuring shop keeper NPC character. The most he's ever been important was in Wind Waker, and that said role is what made him very hated in the West and is what kinda ultimately exiled him from the series.

But with that said, I'd be alright with Tingle if he represented his own series. Unlike in the Zelda series where he's a side character, he's the most important character in the context of his games, making him to the Tingle series as Link is to the Zelda series.

I'd compare Tingle to Yoshi, in a way. In most mainline Mario games, all Yoshi usually is basically a glorified power up, but in his own series, Yoshi is the star, and Smash recognizes that by making him his own series with his own symbol, despite technically being a Mario character. I feel like, had games like Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story not been made, we may of not had Yoshi playable in Smash. I just always felt making Tingle apart of the mainline Zelda cast, Triforce symbol and all, might as well be the day we strip Wario and Yoshi of their unique emblems and just make them mainline Mario characters (With the mushroom icon).

@ Speculator Speculator And about Impa, I think you might actually be wrong about Tingle appearing more than her. Looking at the Zelda Wiki:

Impa Appearances:

Tingle appearances:

So, it's not a huge much, but it appears that Impa has actually made one more in-game appearence than Tingle. Now, I don't care about/want Impa in and nor do I think she's that 'deserving' either, but I felt the need to point that out.
As a Zelda fanatic, let me clarify a minor detail regarding appearances. Impa doesn't actually appear in Wind Waker, she appears in the intro in a staindglass image for three seconds and isn't even really mentioned. The Impa in the Oracle games isn't the same Impa as the others; She isn't a Sheikah, she's a fat lady who happens to be Zelda's caretaker. You could technically count the Oracle games if you want, but I personally wouldn't, which puts Impa's appearances at 3, or a tie with Tingle at 5 if you bother counting the Oracle games.

On the other hand, Tingle has a pretty prominent role in each of the games he's listed in.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
As a Zelda fanatic, let me clarify a minor detail regarding appearances. Impa doesn't actually appear in Wind Waker, she appears in the intro in a staindglass image for three seconds and isn't even really mentioned.
Tingle has also made three extremely slight cameos in Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword if you consider the stained glass image of Impa.

In Phantom Hourglass he was in a wanted poster, in Spirit Tracks he was depicted as a statue, and in Skyward Sword there was a Tingle doll.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
As a Zelda fanatic, let me clarify a minor detail regarding appearances. Impa doesn't actually appear in Wind Waker, she appears in the intro in a staindglass image for three seconds and isn't even really mentioned. The Impa in the Oracle games isn't the same Impa as the others; She isn't a Sheikah, she's a fat lady who happens to be Zelda's caretaker. You could technically count the Oracle games if you want, but I personally wouldn't, which puts Impa's appearances at 3, or a tie with Tingle at 5 if you bother counting the Oracle games.

On the other hand, Tingle has a pretty prominent role in each of the games he's listed in.
Ah, thanks for clarifying on the WW appearance. Although, Impa was an fat old lady in the instruction books for the first two Zelda games I believe. Regardless of appearance, she still generally has the same role of being Zelda's caretaker, so I would still count the Oracle games.

Still, that would make her neck and neck with Tingle then. I'm not too convinced by "Tingle has a pretty prominent role in each of the games he's listed in". I'm reading his roles on Zelda Wiki and besides Wind Waker, the most he really does is give Link some sort of item (and steal rupees, I suppose).

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Mario Kart still stars Mario and co. while the Tingle games just star Tingle. From what I've seen, the Tingle games have a different enough feel and atmosphere to them much like Wario that I could easily see a rupee symbol made for Tingle.
Let's say that there was a Zelda racer. Tingle would probably be in it, RIGHT?

Tingle Kart next big game btw.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Zelda Kart Roster: OoT Link, Wolf Link, Toon Link, Retro Link, SS Link, Mojo Link and Painting Link :troll: Young Zelda, TP Zelda, SS Zelda, ALTTP Zelda, Sheik and Tetra :awesome:

About the Triforce symbol... Tingle is tied with that triforce quest, so there's no problem giving him the Triforce symbol :troll:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Zelda Kart Roster: OoT Link, Wolf Link, Toon Link, Retro Link, SS Link, Mojo Link and Painting Link :troll: Young Zelda, TP Zelda, SS Zelda, ALTTP Zelda, Sheik and Tetra :awesome:

About the Triforce symbol... Tingle is tied with that triforce quest, so there's no problem giving him the Triforce symbol :troll:
You forgot Ganon, Pig Ganon, Toon Ganon, Tingle, Skull Kid, Toon Tingle, Impa, and Toon Impa! :troll:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Ah, thanks for clarifying on the WW appearance. Although, Impa was an fat old lady in the instruction books for the first two Zelda games I believe. Regardless of appearance, she still generally has the same role of being Zelda's caretaker, so I would still count the Oracle games.

Still, that would make her neck and neck with Tingle then. I'm not too convinced by "Tingle has a pretty prominent role in each of the games he's listed in". I'm reading his roles on Zelda Wiki and besides Wind Waker, the most he really does is give Link some sort of item (and steal rupees, I suppose).
Pretty much this. Tingle mostly just gives maps. That isn't a prominent role in the LoZ series. He is the main character in his own games. Let him have his own symbol.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Pretty much this. Tingle mostly just gives maps. That isn't a prominent role in the LoZ series. He is the main character in his own games. Let him have his own symbol.
Rosalina just tells you what to do and races cars. Now she fights. I think Tingle can rep LoZ.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Rosalina just tells you what to do and races cars. Now she fights. I think Tingle can rep LoZ.
To tell you the truth I don't really think Rosalina should rep Mario in smash (or at least have represented the Mario franchise this time around), but hey at least she is a playable character in a Mario title (Super Mario 3D World). It seems like Nintendo is going to incorporate her as playable in more Mario titles (Sport Games excluded) so I can see why they put her in.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
To tell you the truth I don't really think Rosalina should rep Mario in smash (or at least have represented the Mario franchise this time around), but hey at least she is a playable character in a Mario title (Super Mario 3D World). It seems like Nintendo is going to incorporate her as playable in more Mario titles (Sport Games excluded) so I can see why they put her in.
The only problem is that I can't see the same happening with Tingle. I do still support him, though.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

I would say he's almost like Wario, since he's spanned original characters, and Yoshi hasn't spawned many.

FasdfGfaha

Smash Cadet

Well, by that, I meant Tingle actually does things in the games he appears in. He sells maps, a second player can sometimes control him and fight alongside Link, and he's an integral part of a questline in Wind Waker.

Impa, on the other hand, mostly just sits around in every game that isn't Skyward Sword.

Neither is really prominent, to be honest, but I guess what I was getting at is, if you think Impa is deserving of the Zelda newcomer slot, there's absolutely no reason to not think Tingle is, as well.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just read that article.

Zelda won't be playable. Tingle fits the bill perfectly for an unexpected character, but I wonder who else could it be. There aren't too many notable supporting characters in the series.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Just read that article.

Zelda won't be playable. Tingle fits the bill perfectly for an unexpected character, but I wonder who else could it be. There aren't too many notable supporting characters in the series.
I think Zelda can be playable, as a secret end game character of course. It would be a shame not to use that Sword from Twilight Princess, or her magical abilities!

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Just read that article.

Ganondorf, it would be surprising to me at least.

Let's say that there was a Zelda racer. Tingle would probably be in it, RIGHT?

Tingle Kart next big game btw.
2-D Balloon Racing based on button tapping/angles/timing/hazards ala Balloon fighter

Tingle's Balloon Flight-err! ...I would buy this

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Just read that article.

Takamaru and Pit are perfect surprises :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom