• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data The Throne of the King - Ganons' Tournament Results

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'll be heading to a regional Saturday with names like Dabuz and Tweek, hopefully I do well because my nerves are through the roof lol.

Hope to see some sets from you Kalm

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I'll be heading to a regional Saturday with names like Dabuz and Tweek, hopefully I do well because my nerves are through the roof lol.

Hope to see some sets from you Kalm
Will it be streamed?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Yeah by clashtournaments

I think pretty much the best of tristate is gonna be there, this is gonna be really stacked. I hope I don't get screwed by bracket lol

Orsone

Smash Rookie
NNID
OrsettoBruno
3DS FC
4554-0307-2270
Placed 7th out of 104 players last weekend at our national tournament in Italy, by going full Dorf.
I lost to 2 other top seeds. I could've placed better if I had played better during winner bracket but I'm still satisfied of the result.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Placed 7th out of 104 players last weekend at our national tournament in Italy, by going full Dorf.
I lost to 2 other top seeds. I could've placed better if I had played better during winner bracket but I'm still satisfied of the result.
Good stuff. Would you have a link to the brackets?

Abbey Street

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abbeystreet
3DS FC
4511-0701-9758
Rice got 1/57 at a NorCal tournament using all Ganondorf.

http://showdowngg.challonge.com/comeonandban58

Here are the vods:

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Too lazy to dig for all the local results but with solo dorf I top 3 weeklys and weak regionals, otherwise it may vary(corrin cloud etc).

For more meaningful results though:

13th/53 at Mew Years
Notable: Angel Cortes, 6WX, Frozen, Mr. E, Fabled(Previously irji, prd), Bow(prd), Riz(Previously Avalon, prd), maybe ADHD
Bracket: http://hitboxarena.challonge.com/mewyears2016wiiusingles

25th/88 at Collision XIII(Or 81? Brackets are weird and unfinished for pools lol)
Notable: Nairo, DKWill, Mr. E, Angel Cortes, Raptor, Lof Blue, C3PO, Max Ketchum, Fabled, Luck(prd)
Bracket wasn't updated but http://smashleague.challonge.com/ciiiu1

25th/157 at New Fish
Notable: Ally, Larry Lurr, Marss, C3PO, MVD, Pugwest, John Numbers, Mr. E, Dark Wizzy, San, Lingling, Kid Goggles, Raptor, JRibs, Craftis, Jtails, Pelca(Maybe), Raffi(prd), Marcel(prd), Arch(Unkown but I know Deotay can vouch, recently went to last game with San), PikaPika(Tbh I just saw you listed them and they placed well enough), and I may be missing other prd players/notables.
Bracket: https://smash.gg/tournament/new-fish/brackets/11554/32061/107441/standings

I've placed well with Riz and Arch in attendence at weeklies as well, numbers in the 20s and 30s. May as well mention, just trying to give meaningful info, can dig up brackets later and be more specific I guess lol.

Man I wish I could close out sets because i'd have some impressivev set wins if so lol. Only games really as of now.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
FYI, "Notables" doesn't tell me a lot unless you actually played the people in question in tournament.

Just to add something on my end, 2GG Special Smash Low Tiers, I placed 5th out of 58, with a notable victory vs Djay's Charizard and going 1-2 vs K9's Lucina as Ganondorf (and Dr Mario in different sets).

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
FYI, "Notables" doesn't tell me a lot unless you actually played the people in question in tournament.`
I can see your point. 'Notables' just gives you a feel of the competition that there was in the setting of the tournament. A tournament with less notable players will always end up being less challenging (notables being the presumption here).

Just to add something on my end, 2GG Special Smash Low Tiers, I placed 5th out of 58, with a notable victory vs Djay's Charizard and going 1-2 vs K9's Lucina as Ganondorf (and Dr Mario in different sets).
Added up to the OP.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Just trying to follow the format.

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I can see your point. 'Notables' just gives you a feel of the competition that there was in the setting of the tournament. A tournament with less notable players will always end up being less challenging (notables being the presumption here).

Added up to the OP.
Likewise, I understand where you're coming from , but this isn't necessarily the case. If you get seeded reasonably high, you just have to plow through nobodies until you reach top 10. I usually get a top seed at my tourneys and I never have to fight anyone notable until top 10 at the very earliest. By extension, if you go to a national, every top player can be in attendance, but that may not make one's results any more impressive, provided they didn't actually have to fight any of them.

Also, I have two 2nd placings, with my most recent one in March, having beaten Shiny, our #1, Robotnik, our #2 and Deci twice, our #5.

Anyhow, thanks a bunch for the work updating this, Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I don't think I've been seeded anywhere other than my locals because I don't go beyond them much lol.

At Mew Years I lost 2-1 to angel and 2-0 to Bow.

Collision I lost to Omega 2-1 and Luck 2-1

New fish I lost to Marss 2-0 and Pelca 2-1

Those are pretty much the notables I fought at those tourneys too, some other solid players but nobody prd or otherwise out there(At these regionals at the least). I've always thought we should look deeper into the bracket tbh, among other things. What I'm really glad to see is more people considering the strength of regions, because some of us definitely have it easier.

I usually keep to myself because I don't like debating things lol, and getting into a discussion on mobile sucks.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I don't think I've been seeded anywhere other than my locals because I don't go beyond them much lol.

At Mew Years I lost 2-1 to angel and 2-0 to Bow.

Collision I lost to Omega 2-1 and Luck 2-1

New fish I lost to Marss 2-0 and Pelca 2-1

Those are pretty much the notables I fought at those tourneys too, some other solid players but nobody prd or otherwise out there(At these regionals at the least). I've always thought we should look deeper into the bracket tbh, among other things. What I'm really glad to see is more people considering the strength of regions, because some of us definitely have it easier.

I usually keep to myself because I don't like debating things lol, and getting into a discussion on mobile sucks.
This! This is why I've advocated looking at results on a "who did you beat?" basis rather than a "what did you place?" one.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
This! This is why I've advocated looking at results on a "who did you beat?" basis rather than a "what did you place?" one.
If that is how we were to go about things then we would need to follow a completely different guideline.

For example, if we consider players (in general) to be better by their overall tournament results, then only a few of us (such as myself) would be able to claim that I've beaten 'so and so'.

Chrim Fisch for example. He's ranked 371st in the overall tournament rankings, which would make him the highest ranking to lose to a Ganon main in tournament (last time I faced him about 2 months ago, I beat him).

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I thimk both should play a part. I also think taking games should mean something, even if slight. I mean discrediting a game where you've essentially outplayed someone doesn't sound right to me. Well maybe not discrediting but downplaying the importance of it. I think claiming you've had close games is stretching unless there's some footage to go with it though so we can all assess the games

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386

If that is how we were to go about things then we would need to follow a completely different guideline.

For example, if we consider players (in general) to be better by their overall tournament results, then only a few of us (such as myself) would be able to claim that I've beaten 'so and so'.

Chrim Fisch for example. He's ranked 371st in the overall tournament rankings, which would make him the highest ranking to lose to a Ganon main in tournament (last time I faced him about 2 months ago, I beat him).
Not sure I'm following you, Kalm. :confused:

Basically, just to make my position clear, I think placings themselves are valueless. Case in point, I could claim I've taken 1st at all the little mini-tournaments I've had, but that'd obviously be pointless, right? In other words, placings might have statistical significance, but statistics aren't worth much when you have the hard data itself, e.g. "I got 2nd" is worth almost 100% less than "I beat ___ and ___." If anyone disagrees, then why shouldn't my multitude of local wins with low-level players make me the undisputed top? :p Furthermore, howdoes a placing, void of any data on wins, correlate to a person's skill level? If there were any relationship at all, then I could enter one-man tournaments against myself and claim infinite 1st place results.

That is, assuming we're interested in the player's ability to beat other similarly-skilled players, and not their ability to get a good seed or anything else that might corrupt the integrity of tournament performance data.

Opana Opana I sort of agree, but again, that's where vids are so important. On one hand, taking a game off of someone can be a big accomplishment, but on the other, it could also be a fluke. I've dropped games to really bad players in tournament because I wasn't playing very seriously. So, in your case vs. Riz, I agree, that's something to definitely be considered. All in all though, it depends on circumstances and vids. If you got to game 10 of GF with someone and barely lose, that's big-time worth consideration, since odds are good that winning 4/10 games isn't just an anomaly. If you take a game off of someone, then it starts becoming more debatable as to whether it was something statistically significant.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Well not just for me but I was saying that more so for anyone. I appreciate that though and I'm still fairly proud of that lol. I think my win on Angel was somewhat a fluke, he had a large lead and I lured him into a cide lol. Other players I've taken games from aren't really flukes but don't hold nearly as much weight without footage, and tbf Riz and Angel are on a different level than the others I've taken games from. I think that's a good outlook though.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
We have pretty much agreed to much of what you've said, Verm.

The question of wins against notables and reasonable proof was never a debate.

Using less viable characters, placing in the top 15% of a tournament while having wins against good players is what should set those apart from those who just place very high in a non challenging setting.

Last edited:

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
I've been in Utah for the week and went to a local with 19 players and did alright. Got eliminated by the #2 (Calculus) and #5 (Stealthy) on the current PR, but managed to take a game off of each of them. It was fun to play somewhere where they've never played a good Ganon and nobody knows how to tech flame choke (unlike AZ where there's Swoops, haha). Ended up tied for 7th

I was happy that I played well against Stealthy's Rosalina, a MU I've always been afraid of, but then I lost the next two games versus his Lucario. Gotta learn how to deal with aura Lucario...

Hoping to make it out to more tournaments over the summer in AZ.

Last edited:

Abbey Street

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abbeystreet
3DS FC
4511-0701-9758
It's awesome that people are travelling.

I was headed to Smash 'n' Splash next month but had to cancel. Instead I'll get over to Ottawa for a local in July while I'm in that direction with family. A fair few there who I've been wanting to play for a while, and good players who actually don't know how to fight my characters, which will be a refreshing change of pace.

Hoping to see y'all travel more often as well. Looking at you, Opana Opana - if you get your ass up here to Toronto for a monthly sometime then you can hit up a bracket with Ray Kalm and give us a Ganon ditto for grand finals to shake things up. A number of this city are already hella scared of Ganon - an easy place for the King to advance his dark conquest.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Tbh I'm experimenting with better characters atm but I'd definitely mirror if we were to meet in bracket one day. I never seem to stick with characters though so we'll see.

Edit: you know what I think I'm gonna go solo dorf still.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Placed 65th/500 at GOML today. Lost to Zero's Diddy in Pools finals, and then a Sheik in losers. The Sheik knew how to abuse Ganon very well.

After using Ganon countless times in tournaments, and with the mindset to win it all, I came to a conclusion with somewhat good and somewhat bad news.

If you're dedicated in improving your Ganon, then there definitely is a huge probability for you to take locals, a monthly, or even a major. This could happen.

All but two match-ups are doable. These two are Sheik and Rosalina and they should NEVER lose to a Ganondorf with a decent enough player behind them. (And yes, I've considered Bayonetta in all this). These two have prime shutdown tools against Ganon and require a good secondary (in my case, I will be going Fox, but only in this situation).

That said, I personally believe that the disadvantages in the rest of the cast could be competed against, and to be honest, most of the time I never felt at a disadvantage against anyone but the two mentioned above.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Not bad man, super stacked national. I know it's not the placing you wanted but it's no bad at all for solodorf.

I totally understand how you feel and despite going off on Twitter I still can't help shaking the feeling I need to pick someone up as well lol. I'm thinking Cloud at this point.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Thanks for the inputs, I read them all.

My next rather large tournament will be this October (I will be attending a few monthlies before), called Canada Cup with many big names.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Heading to a decent packed tournament with some PR names this Saturday.

Last edited:

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Placed 96th/500 at GOML today. Lost to Zero's Diddy in Pools finals, and then a Sheik in losers. The Sheik knew how to abuse Ganon very well.

After using Ganon countless times in tournaments, and with the mindset to win it all, I came to a conclusion with somewhat good and somewhat bad news.

If you're dedicated in improving your Ganon, then there definitely is a huge probability for you to take locals, a monthly, or even a major. This could happen.

All but two match-ups are doable. These two are Sheik and Rosalina and they should NEVER lose to a Ganondorf with a decent enough player behind them. (And yes, I've considered Bayonetta in all this). These two have prime shutdown tools against Ganon and require a good secondary (in my case, I will be going Fox, but only in this situation).

That said, I personally believe that the disadvantages in the rest of the cast could be competed against, and to be honest, most of the time I never felt at a disadvantage against anyone but the two mentioned above.
Bro your match with Zero is hype as hell. You really put the fear in his mind and gave ganon an awesome rep. Great job! +5 style points for the ledge cancel ganoncide attempt. (If only he hadn't DI'd that flame choke w/ the banana). Seriously though the neutral was actually very close and you kept even percent with him a lot of the time. Good job bro.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm would you mind getting my latest up there? I took 2nd again two months ago out of 35 or something. If the info is germane, I beat Shiny, our 1st, Deci twice, our 5th and Robotnik once, our 2nd.

And good job again at GOML.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Made some big changes to the OP. I'm going to need help with identifying the regions of certain players, and the overall strength & difficulty of the region (5/5 would mean that it's much harder to place top 8 than a region with a 1/5)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Honestly mid hudson isn't that great, probably like a 2/5. This includes my locals where the majority of players aren't a threat or aren't consistently a threat, and our strongest players are a mild threat at best. I think Oatmeal has potential to do some damage but our other players use bad characters, like Arch and I, or play a standard top tier. The overall strength of my region being lacking is why I stopped posting local results honestly, since while I do have a lot of them I don't feel they mean much.

However, I'm also apart of Tri State, and on a regional or higher level these are the players I'm up against. The average player is solid and the top players are some of the best, there's honestly only been 1 or 2 sets that we're easy for me at these events due to the overall strength of the players. I'd at the least put them at a 4/5, I don't think a 5 is unreasonable either but it's really your call. All regional tourneys I've posted I believe are Tri State, anything else Mid Hudson.

Btw, you can delete the list of notables for my earlier results barring Boss, they're not really notable that was just me being new to the scene and unknowledgable lol.

If you need to put down only one I'd say Tri State since I'm only sharing results that feature talent from Ny Nj Pa at this point.

Last edited:

MexicanoZaibatsu

Smash Rookie
NNID
MexicanoZaibatsu
Tristate Gerudo here (Queens, NY to be exact). There are 3 main Ganon players within the confines of the 5 boroughs:

SomeDumbAss (SDA)
Squirrely
Myself

Tristate takes no prisoners. You can 2-0 an average player one set and then drop to losers because you lost to a Diddy/Mario/ZSS/ etc.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I heard SDA eliminated John Numbers at some tourney lol, forgot about that.

Amazing tag btw

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I won a plymouth based, league based tourney with a whopping 6 players.

Am I pro yet? Eh. A win is a win.

oppenents used cloud/ness/zss/yoshi/mario

Top Bottom