• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The thing that makes a Samus good

Violence

Smash Lord
So what do you guys think is that one thing that once a Samus learns, they're a good Samus?

Personally, I think it's the ability to space well while dancing. Having control over your character is one thing, but while you're spacing, you're usually focusing on your opponent's actions. Being able to dance and know exactly where you are, then looking at your opponent and knowing where he'll approach, and dancing to stay right outside of that is really hard for me, but I think that if that can be done, the Samus is definitely good.

Discuss.

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
That's one of the first things that popped into my head too. Just like a captain falcon spaces using SHFFL'D nairs and a link spaces using his projectiles, samus spaces using her shield and missiles. Compared to other characters, samus is more of a defensive punisher/gimper.

To answer your question directly, though, a samus becomes a good samus once they learn how to space correctly, use her moves with precision since they have a lot of cooldown/room for punishment, and master her edge game (get-back and edge-guard).

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't think Samus is a good enough character to allow players to be good with her off one trait, technique, or whatever.

If we're going to act like she is, I'm going to throw a very general, umbrella thingy out there and say "Knowing the correct thing to do in situations and positions". What seems to define a lot of the top level mid tier / low tier players is that they really respect and understand situations. In the situations where they're powerful, they push and try to press their advantage. But they also understand that in a lot of cases they really can't do anything (either directly or at all) so they have to wait, move, reposition, or look for an outside-the-box solution (which can sometimes work). So that sort of understanding, I think, is something that would be essential to create a good Samus.

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Samus is a good enough character to allow players to be good with her off one trait, technique, or whatever.

If we're going to act like she is, I'm going to throw a very general, umbrella thingy out there and say "Knowing the correct thing to do in situations and positions". What seems to define a lot of the top level mid tier / low tier players is that they really respect and understand situations. In the situations where they're powerful, they push and try to press their advantage. But they also understand that in a lot of cases they really can't do anything (either directly or at all) so they have to wait, move, reposition, or look for an outside-the-box solution (which can sometimes work). So that sort of understanding, I think, is something that would be essential to create a good Samus.
This is very true. A player's main objective as a mid tier or low tier character is to abuse an opponent's mistake to the fullest. It's a bit sad but at the same time it's very possible to be successful seeing as we only play humans and not perfect AI's.

The three things I posted at the end of a my first post are very fundamental to having a decent Samus because that pretty much defines her game (as opposed to a fox who is the main aggressor). In the end, what makes a great Samus is gaining all of the high-level smash skills, like tech skill, reading skill, and being able to adapt and react.

GOD!

Smash Ace
I bet its hitting upb out of shield.

GEtting proper timing takes practice, but once you do it no one can touch your shield

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
yeah landing up-b accurately is a must. it's free damage if DI'd correctly and can place the opponent on a platform, making them more vulnerable.

also, shooting homing missiles is a big deal. I've been getting used to shooting one out whenever i knock an opponent off the stage (if it's convenient of course). this works great marth's that are approaching the stage with side-b's, spacies stalling in the air with an up-b, and falcon who has very little options to avoid it. it leads to up-tilt, which most of the time results in a kill.

Top Bottom