• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Minato, how is Xillia compared to other Tales games? I'm kind of unsure if I should pick it up when it comes out. Graces kind of left me with some bad impressions, story-wise.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Minato, how is Xillia compared to other Tales games? I'm kind of unsure if I should pick it up when it comes out. Graces kind of left me with some bad impressions, story-wise.
I actually think Graces has the worst story and music out of the main Tales games, but the battle system is in my top 3.

Xillia's story is much much better, and the cutscenes are presented really well. If you're looking for story, Xillia is one of the better ones for me. They aren't shoving down a childish theme like friendship, nor is it another "racism is bad" Tales game. The characters are pretty good, especially the female cast. Jude and Alvin are probably the ones liked least. Game also has one of the better soundtracks in recent memory for Tales.

The battle system in Xillia is great as well. The only problems in this part is if you're doing 4 players which won't let you build Overlimit meter, and that bosses will randomly drop out of combos without warning unlike Graces' Eleth Break.

I'd say that where Graces did poorly in, Xillia excelled at (imo). Xillia is just shorter in content and its battle system is flawed.
I would recommend getting it since the game is nicely done. It's just incomplete in some areas because of ToX2.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Ah, okay. Good to know, thanks! I will definitely be picking it up then when it comes out.

I really liked the battle system in Graces, but that was kind of it, haha.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Awesome, latest scan confirms that Gaius and Musee are playable in Tales of Xillia 2. I just preordered the game this morning too.
Game was a expensive so I'm planning on buying Innocence R and Narikiri Dungeon X some other time. :ohwell:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Tales of Symphonia and Dawn of the New World are coming to PS3 in October for Japan. No news on a US release yet, but there probably will. Dated for early 2014 outside of Japan. Just a remaster, so no huge graphical changes. PS2 features included along with Lloyd and Genis having Guy and Luke costumes.

Sedda

Smash Champion
So I borrowed a PS2 and I'm going to play all Tales games that I haven't played, but I heard some mixed feelings about Abyss from a friend. Anyone care to fill me in to see if it's worth buying it?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So I borrowed a PS2 and I'm going to play all Tales games that I haven't played, but I heard some mixed feelings about Abyss from a friend. Anyone care to fill me in to see if it's worth buying it?
It's true that there are lot of mixed opinions on Abyss. Some people love the story, but I didn't like it all that much. It has its moments though. It's hard to say if you'll end up liking the story since it's like a hit or miss. It wasn't my favorite story, but it has its moments, and I liked the ending too.

Battle system isn't too bad though. The only complaints are free run being too broken and higher difficulties not being all that fun.

The game shouldn't be all that expensive, so it's worth purchasing if you want to check out all the Tales games.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I just realized Xillia will be out in about a month.

Maybe I'll find the money for that, and then maybe I'll finally be able to finish another tales of game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Tales of Symphonia HD is confirmed to have dual audio. While I do have some nostalgia for the US voices (if HD version keeps the original), I do like the Japanese ones as well.
Now if they're somehow able to get the original VAs back to voice the skits this time, I'll be really happy.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
That's pretty cool.

I'm not sure if I'll buy it though, I have both games(Symphonia is the only game in the series I have finished, but I never played the sequel.) I guess I'll wait and see if I have the money for it when it is released.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Tales of Xillia 2 is confirmed for localization for 2014. Bandai Namco really trying to catch up.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
That's great.

Looks like now is the perfect time for people to try and get into the Tales series.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
New favorite thread!

Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game ever :3

I've also beaten Abyss and Vesperia (Repede <3)

I need to play more of them

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I decided to start playing Graces F again, and also decided that Pascal is the best and the only character worth playing. :3
I may try Malik though, I dunno.

I don't really know how far I am, and I've just been grinding in Strahta because the battle system is fun, not like I'm missing anything with the story anyways.

But I've remembered that Symphonia and Abyss allow you to set up a few different strategies you could switch your allies to during battle, I'm not seeing that in Graces and was wondering if that will return in Xillia? That seems like a strange thing to remove.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just finished Tales of Xillia 2. I really enjoyed the game and it's pretty different from other Tales as far as story goes. Battle system has its weaknesses here and there, but it's the 2nd best 3D battle system for Tales (Graces f as first). English version comes out next year, so everyone here will be able to enjoy that then. Overall, it's really good for a sequel title. Xillia 1 comes out next month though which is also good despite some shortcomings (some are in ToX2 as well).
But I've remembered that Symphonia and Abyss allow you to set up a few different strategies you could switch your allies to during battle, I'm not seeing that in Graces and was wondering if that will return in Xillia? That seems like a strange thing to remove.
I'm pretty sure it's in ToX. I don't have my copy with me right now, but in ToX2, it's in. I usually don't mess with the AI in Tales though. If they gave me something like gambits, then yes, I definitely would.

Edit: Oh, I'm guessing you mean those shortcut strategies. I'm pretty sure they're gone.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Yeah, I'm talking about the Normal, Attack, On Your Guard options.

It's unfortunate if those are gone, but it's not a big loss. I just liked them for using less resources during random battles for the most part. It's really not much of an issue in Graces since there's no TP.

I do think the Tales series could really use something like gambits. I can't help but want so much more when looking at the AI options.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Well, I've finished TotA. Not sure how many years it has been since I started that file.

So much padding, the third act was such a chore until I reached the Eldrant. I was also playing on hard for a while, but it started to get too tedious thanks to how much health the enemies had, so I switch back to normal towards the end.

The game would have been much better if they had cut out all the town hopping you had to do in-between every event. The battle system was also kind of hard to get into after playing Graces for a little beforehand, but it still had a very small handful of things I would have liked to see in Graces.

But with that out of the way, I can focus more on SMT IV. It would be cool if I could complete it before I get ToX, but I dunno if that will happen. :/

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
Well, I've finished TotA. Not sure how many years it has been since I started that file.

So much padding, the third act was such a chore until I reached the Eldrant. I was also playing on hard for a while, but it started to get too tedious thanks to how much health the enemies had, so I switch back to normal towards the end.

The game would have been much better if they had cut out all the town hopping you had to do in-between every event. The battle system was also kind of hard to get into after playing Graces for a little beforehand, but it still had a very small handful of things I would have liked to see in Graces.

But with that out of the way, I can focus more on SMT IV. It would be cool if I could complete it before I get ToX, but I dunno if that will happen. :/

haha I bought ToTA back in March and I still think I'm only halfway through the game. It's kind of hard to get into because leveling doesn't feel that rewarding, and I tend to get stuck from the constant town hopping. I still plan on finishing it though because I do like the story...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Abyss was certainly a chore for me as well with all the backtracking. I rank it on the lower half of my Tales ranking, although the ending and also Karma were the best parts of Abyss for me.

And yeah, higher difficulties in Abyss were a little boring and not too rewarding.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I picked up Xillia today. I'm not far, but I'm really enjoying it.

I'm very glad to see the weakness system scaled back compared to Graces, that game went overboard on the amount of attack types. There are some little things that are nice too, like characters jumping off from the top of a ladder, camera control, and they finally added a map.

I also like having TP back so I can use healing artes outside of battle. :/
I like the mix of AC and TP. AC is much better for the combat system, but it just feels strange to me to have an RPG without a magic meter to manage.

This is also the first time I've bothered playing more than one character in a Tales game. I've been switching between Jude, Alvin, and Milla constantly, even in the middle of a fight. Linking is fun too.

I don't really have any complaints right now other than not having a side step.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, Xillia does a lot right by tweaking things and "modernizing" even the little things. Every character's pretty much amazing or broken, so use whoever you like. ToX2 adds in side step (along with changing the weakness mechanic a bit) so that'll be something for you to look forward to.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've been playing Alvin more recently, which is surprising since I don't normally play the slower attackers. Though I go to Jude for tougher fights, his backdash teleport is really useful. I have the difficulty set to hard, it doesn't seem too bad right now.

Milla feels strange, but is still fun. I can't wait to try the other characters.

Xillia has had a really good start for me, and with the few impressions I've seen of ToX2 I am already starting to look forward to it.

I'm also glad they got Ufotable, that opening looks nice and I'm looking forward to any anime cutscenes. :3

Turazrok

Smash Master
Maaaan I tried to hit up that hard mode, then I got to the first boss and my ai's broke the first rule of raiding. ZZZ

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Depends on what systems you have, though I would probably get Xillia if you have a PS3. I'm playing it right now, and it's amazing. Graces (PS3) has a fun battle system, but the characters are largely forgettable and the story was pretty boring and predictable. Vesperia (360) is pretty great, and definitely worth playing. You could probably still find copies of Abyss and Legendia floating around for PS2, but if you have to choose, I'd probably go with Abyss. You can also get Abyss for 3DS.

Anyway, I'm having that classic moment in Xillia where I have to decide who I want in my party, and it's too hard. :(

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So I started with Symphonia. Does anyone have any recommendations which game I should try next?
If you have a 360, definitely get Vesperia if you liked Symphonia. If you have a PS2, you could play Abyss which is a hit or miss (mostly miss for me).
If you have a PS3, go for Xillia if you liked Symphonia. If you're crazy about battle systems, then buy Graces for now (which should be cheaper now).

Vesperia's just a really well rounded and good Tales with a decent battle system. Abyss just has a lot of issues but some people really love it. Graces has terrible story and characters unless you're viewing skits, but the battle system is the best 3D one. Xillia's the latest game and is pretty good. Just has some flaws here and there, but it's a good game.
Anyway, I'm having that classic moment in Xillia where I have to decide who I want in my party, and it's too hard. :(
At least you can switch party members mid battle, haha.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Graces kind of left me with some bad impressions, story-wise.
I actually think Graces has the worst story and music out of the main Tales games
I really liked the battle system in Graces, but that was kind of it, haha.
Graces (PS3) has a fun battle system, but the characters are largely forgettable and the story was pretty boring and predictable.
Graces has terrible story and characters
Wow, is it really that bad? Might want to stray away from it then. Even if it has good gameplay, I prefer a balance.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Wow, is it really that bad? Might want to stray away from it then. Even if it has good gameplay, I prefer a balance.
The scenario that you go through is all fine though. The characters are likable just through their quirks, but you won't be liking them through story and character developments though. With that said, I'm actually pretty critical of each Tales game's weakness. I do rate Graces somewhat up there. To defend it, I think only Xillia beats it in graphics, story, and characters. Graces beats it in difficulty reward, level up system, weapons, battle system, boss battles, in-game content and length, and dungeons.

In your case, definitely pick up Xillia since it's rather balanced. But if you had a 360, get Vesperia too.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Jiao was tough, first fight to give me a lot of trouble.

Turns out I just needed to upgrade my weapons/armor, because it went better once I did that, but still close. It would have been much easier if he didn't summon more monsters, but it was still more fun than the last two bosses I fought in Graces. :/

I think I was seeing a blue exclamation mark or something, is that supposed to show when the boss decides to drop out of your combos?

I wonder if it would have been easier if Elize had Negative gate, I was one level up away from it.
This level up system would have been so much better if it showed the whole web from the start. Oh well, it's pretty harmless, and at least it isn't a grindy system.

Top Bottom