• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The surprise-WTF char of this edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
For a serious WTF character, I think Daisy, Funky Kong, or some interesting side-kick that is in a lot of games but not expected on here would fit the bill.

However, the good one will be Banjo-Kazooie and we find out that Nintendo bought the rights to the character from Microsoft and is publishing the new game. This board would go ballistic lol.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Looking through the list of best-selling NES games for ideas to represent early Nintendo.

Ideas:
Sir Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins, Capcom)

Slime (Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior, Square-Enix)

Goemon (Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja, Konami)

Basically, what I'm learning is that most of the good/popular NES characters left are third party.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Speaking of wtf characters, question about the rules for getting character in. Is a character that is a part of a popular non-video game series but originated in a video game version of that series eligible to appear in Smash?

i.e. Tora from TMNT2 Arcade Game for NES for example.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Speaking of wtf characters, question about the rules for getting character in. Is a character that is a part of a popular non-video game series but originated in a video game version of that series eligible to appear in Smash?

i.e. Tora from TMNT2 Arcade Game for NES for example.
I would highly, highly doubt it- if not because of some specific rule banning video game characters from a non-video game franchise, then because there really isn't a single character that fits that description worthy of inclusion.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Captain Rainbow

The prince of the cosmos (katamari)-
Oh but he doesn't have a game on a nintendo console! Well... that is sorta true. (There could be one coming up, but I wont get into that debate). Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy was released as dsiware in Japan, not a traditional game of the franchise, but its something. Then with Namco working on the game, they could push for it. Unlikely, but not going to rule it out.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Captain Rainbow

The prince of the cosmos (katamari)-
Oh but he doesn't have a game on a nintendo console! Well... that is sorta true. (There could be one coming up, but I wont get into that debate). Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy was released as dsiware in Japan, not a traditional game of the franchise, but its something. Then with Namco working on the game, they could push for it. Unlikely, but not going to rule it out.
CD-i Link is unlikely too..

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Wait a sec...is Slime owned by Square Enix? Is he third party then? Just asking because like if he got in damn the Geno fans would go nuts! Like ''Mewtwo Cut''' Nuts....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That's a part of the fun of supporting troll/joke characters: to troll their haters and rival fanbases.

Waluigi, Tingle, Slippy, Slime, etc...

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Sheriff fits that statement and also the Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. archetype of a significant/iconic character from Nintendo's distant past that people never expected to be a fighter.

Mr. Game & Watch: Nintendo's first great video game success and the thing that gave birth to portable gaming
R.O.B.: an iconic peripheral that got the NES off the ground in the West.
Sheriff: Nintendo's first scenario based video game and Nintendo's first real character.

In that respect Sheriff may not actually be a 'WTF' character, since with Mr. G&W and R.O.B. coming before him in each of the previous editions his inclusion makes sense. Still, he'd be surprising nonetheless.
Definitely have to second Sheriff, as a strong supporter of the character. Now technically, Wild Gunman precedes Sheriff as Nintendo's first video game character, but the original Wild Gunman arcade game used full motion video, so the character's first incarnation was a real life actor. Fast forward to the NES release of the game, and the Gunman was redesigned in the typical pixel graphics of the console, making that iteration less significant due to no longer technically being "first character". I believe that Sheriff would follow the G&W / ROB "formula" better, by being an oddball aesthetically and representing hardware (arcade games). Now, I don't really believe there is a pattern of "WTF" characters, but I see no problem in making that a tradition.

My other suggestion would be:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I thought of him. Since has been protagonist of a Nintendo game he would be worth of it. But I'm not really sure if Nintendo has the license of him anymore.
The funny thing is Popeye is technically public domain in Europe. It wouldn't increase his chances but...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Looking through the list of best-selling NES games for ideas to represent early Nintendo.

Ideas:
Sir Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins, Capcom)

Slime (Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior, Square-Enix)

Goemon (Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja, Konami)

Basically, what I'm learning is that most of the good/popular NES characters left are third party.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
A good point. Of course, I support Mach Rider's inclusion because I like how I imagine him playing... it's hard to actually call him a good character in that we have no idea what his personality is. Most silent characters you can at least see their faces and expressions, but the Rider wears a helmet and is facing away from the camera the entire game. Also, he's only been in one game while the other characters I showed in that post have been in series, some of which continue today.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Actually, a "glob of bloo poo" can actually be quite versatile moveset-wise.

Gooey and Slime can actually provide a lot of possibilities for a moveset.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but do we really need those Unira-like things as playable characters? Also a deck of carts with arms and legs is suppose to make him look like a magician.
What it's supposed to look like =/= what it really looks like.
And do we really need an animate inanimate object with arms and legs?

EDIT: Last I checked, a living deck of cards with limbs is not what a magician looks like. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom