• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The surprise-WTF char of this edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm still down for Mr. Hanafuda. Or Mario Kart.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
There are a lot of good choices.

Mr. Hanafuda is probably the extreme WTF
An original character/villain like Tabuu
Sheriff
Duck Hunt Dog
Balloon Fighter
Professor Layton
Phoenix Wright
A character from the Wario Ware franchise (basically anyone)
Captain Rainbow
Miis

Speculator

Smash Ace
Sukapon is never happening. Sakurai said not to expect him back after Melee and nothing has changed for him. Good as out as this point.
That was a very, very long time ago. Melee is over a decade old. Are all your opinions the same today as they were twelve years ago? We don't know if "nothing has changed", we simply haven't heard anything. There's no basis for writing him off completely based on a remark made so long ago. There's no guarantee Sakurai even remembers saying such a thing. I'll agree Sukapon is certainly unlikely, but there's nothing remotely impossible about his inclusion.

As for a WTF character, perhaps Mach Rider can fulfill that spot.
Mach Rider isn't really any more a WTF character than Pit or the Ice Climbers, though.

D

Deleted member

Speculator said:
That was a very, very long time ago. Melee is over a decade old. Are all your opinions the same today as they were twelve years ago? We don't know if "nothing has changed", we simply haven't heard anything. There's no basis for writing him off completely based on a remark made so long ago. There's no guarantee Sakurai even remembers saying such a thing. I'll agree Sukapon is certainly unlikely, but there's nothing remotely impossible about his inclusion.
Sure Sakurai could change his opinion on Sukapon. The problem is that we have nothing to indicate that Sakurai would do that. While everyone eligible is technically possible, it's not worth pondering the possibilities of characters like Sukapon.
Speculator said:
Mach Rider isn't really any more a WTF character than Pit or the Ice Climbers, though.
Ice Climbers was definitely WTF material as barely anyone expected him back in pre-Melee. Pit certainly wasn't, however, as he was among the ten most wanted characters pre-Brawl (before E3 2006).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Eh, I still say a lot of these characters aren't nearly as WTF as Kevin Keene aka Captain N: The Game Master.
Yes, that is the cartoon depiction of Pit flying in front of him. Hehe. More importantly, imagine an updated Captain N badass who uses a powerglove gauntlet, the lightgun, and maybe, like, an N64 controller grappling hook. Yeah. It's be great.
Edit: I mean, THIS deviantartist Dreekzilla has!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Do the Japanese branches of Nintendo have a clue in hell that Captain N ever existed? They sure seemed oblivious to Kid Icarus 2 on the Game Boy.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Do the Japanese branches of Nintendo have a clue in hell that Captain N ever existed? They sure seemed oblivious to Kid Icarus 2 on the Game Boy.
... huh. I was kind of assuming that Nintendo Power went out to Japan, but... nope.

Well.
Kindly disregard my nomination of Captain N, SIGH.

D

Deleted member

What I've come to learn is, if it ain't released in Japan, it doesn't exist.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Then again, maybe that fact will add to the WTF-ness especially to the Japanese audience.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Then again, maybe that fact will add to the WTF-ness especially to the Japanese audience.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this...
Yes, yes you are. :p

I think that Duck Hunt Dog, and God-Forbid, Tingle *cringes* would be... strange to say the least.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
There won't be one. Not that there won't be a character that makes some people scratch their heads and go "huh?", just that there won't(and has never been) a character in Smash that was included exclusively included to surprise people.

D

Deleted member

Tingle is not that strange when you consider that his American hatebase is grossly exaggerated (and Sakurai doesn't seem to care about it) and that he has his own set of games, something no other Zelda character can claim.

EDIT: You want to talk about a surprise WTF Zelda character, look no further than THIS guy:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Sure Sakurai could change his opinion on Sukapon. The problem is that we have nothing to indicate that Sakurai would do that. While everyone eligible is technically possible, it's not worth pondering the possibilities of characters like Sukapon.
I just think it's unfair to write him off completely based on a comment made so long ago. If Pokemon Trainer, or Olimar, or R.O.B are any indication, Sakurai is an unpredictable guy.

Ice Climbers was definitely WTF material as barely anyone expected him back in pre-Melee. Pit certainly wasn't, however, as he was among the ten most wanted characters pre-Brawl (before E3 2006).
I suppose that's true. Although I think in the context of this thread, WTF characters are the weird late reveals that come completely out of the blue like G&W and R.O.B.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I say that it should be a Goomba. C'mon we know they're the ultimate warriors. Y'know what? Scratch that. Shy Guy would be too awesome for words.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how I feel about people saying R.O.B. was never expected to be a fighter in Brawl... R.O.B. had his naysayers, sure, but back in the days of the Dojo I remember many a person suggesting R.O.B. as a fighter - myself included. In many ways I'd say Mr. Game and Watch is the only true 'wtf' character Smash Bros. has ever had because he truly did come from out of nowhere and smacked many players in the face as the very last unlockable character in Melee (before Brawl made it incredibly easy to unlock characters) and had such unusual characteristics.

But I guess that's more because of the way the Smash scene has developed. I don't think there can truly be a real 'wtf' character anymore in Smash, because the community has developed in such a way that every possible character has been suggested or has their own thread. The only way they could really surprise people these days would be to do something like adding a one-off character from an obscure series, which would certainly be a surprise but not necessarily a pleasant one.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
In the first Super Smash Bros. it was Captain Falcon. In SSB Melee it was Mr. Game & Watch, in SSB Brawl it was R.O.B.
Who/What do you think could be this time?
Some Nintendo related but at the same time not expectable as a fighter. Like... Tetris.
I wouldn't say Captain Falcon shares the same "pattern" with Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. I think both Mr. G&W and R.O.B. follow a "Hardware-Based" pattern while Falcon doesn't follow a pattern at all. I am sure Sakurai added this guys just to honor the hardware in which they were based instead of the characters themselves. Having said this, I would say the most probable "wtf Character" (Hardware-Based) would be someone who represent the NES Zapper (Duck Hunt Dog, Mr. Stevenson, Wild Gunman, etc.) or even the Miis representing the Wii console. They are not that unexpected characters, though.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how I feel about people saying R.O.B. was never expected to be a fighter in Brawl... R.O.B. had his naysayers, sure, but back in the days of the Dojo I remember many a person suggesting R.O.B. as a fighter - myself included. In many ways I'd say Mr. Game and Watch is the only true 'wtf' character Smash Bros. has ever had because he truly did come from out of nowhere and smacked many players in the face as the very last unlockable character in Melee (before Brawl made it incredibly easy to unlock characters) and had such unusual characteristics.
I think the WTF-ness of R.O.B comes from the fact that he's a perhipheral, and not an actual video game character like all the other Smash fighters. A few people might have considered him, especially after his appearance in Mario Kart DS, but he went unnoticed for a lot of people since they assumed one had to have originated from a video game to be included.

You're right when you say that by now almost every character has been considered by at least one person. They're never going to be able to surprise everybody. But hopefully they can do something cool and unexpected for most people.

D

Deleted member

Hakkun. :troll:

You guys probably didn't remember him (or even know about him) until I mentioned him, huh?

Guess I took the surprise out of him. :awesome:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Tingle is not that strange when you consider that his American hatebase is grossly exaggerated (and Sakurai doesn't seem to care about it) and that he has his own set of games, something no other Zelda character can claim.

EDIT: You want to talk about a surprise WTF Zelda character, look no further than THIS guy:
I think the facepalm resulting from fans would be heard by the Aliens of Beta Centari.

D

Deleted member

Mai Boi, this Smash is what ALL true warriors strive for!

Enough! My Final Smash starts in the morning. I wonder what's for DINNER.

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
Mmm... I would be suprised if they included more Kirby characters, like Marx and Magolor...

Then again, if they DO make it in the next Smash, wither as bosses or playable characters, I'd totally camp outside my GameStop store when it comes out. :awesome:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Kinda confused...how does one exactly define a "WTF" character? I mean, I thought Snake was pretty WTF the first time I saw him.

At any rate, my vote goes to Nintendouji (extremely unlikely).

Or perhaps this thing:

Yes, a freaking unicycle. The perfect rival for Sonic. ;)

D

Deleted member

I'm not going to lie, a Uniracer would be hilarious. Only problem is that Pixar would raise issue again (they are the reason the game had a Cease and Desist).

As for defining a "WTF" everyone has their own definitions of one.
Though the universal belief seems to be a character that is completely unexpected.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Or perhaps this thing:

Yes, a freaking unicycle. The perfect rival for Sonic. ;)
Whoa, I thought I was the only one here who knew this game existed. :o

If I remember correctly, I believe if you wrote "Sonic" as the name somewhere in that game, it would tell you that it was "Not cool enough". referencing to the rivalry between Nintendo and Sega back in the day. xD

Ah well, whatever the unexpected character is. It's probably one that most people put down for one reason or another, wether they can't imagine them fighting or any other reason there may be... :/

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
If I remember correctly, I believe if you wrote "Sonic" as the name somewhere in that game, it would tell you that it was "Not cool enough". referencing to the rivalry between Nintendo and Sega back in the day. xD
Yeah, I think I've seen that before...

I always thought the game looked fun anyway. But yeah, I agree that Pixar will bring up issues again...oh well. :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ahh memories. I remember it being really fun back when when I was a little kid. I used to love playing racers such as Unirally and Super Mario Kart with my sisters on the SNES. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to that game if they could. (if it doesn't exist yet that is.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom