• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The surprise-WTF char of this edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
In the first Super Smash Bros. it was Captain Falcon. In SSB Melee it was Mr. Game & Watch, in SSB Brawl it was R.O.B.
Who/What do you think could be this time?
Some Nintendo related but at the same time not expectable as a fighter. Like... Tetris.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Duck Hunt Dog. :awesome:

Or maybe Captain N, for being a character who did not originate in video games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Takamaru, possibly. Though he's well known to us, he's rather unknown to the average player.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It depends. Snake was a pretty WTF character as he only appeared in 2 Ninty games (the NES port of Metal Gear and The Twin Snakes on GC). Besides, I think Ness was more WTF than Falcon. F-Zero is (or was) an active international franchise while Earthbound had been Japan only with disappointing sales on it's American release.

For Smash 4 I have no clue. It wouldn't be a surprise if I did ;)

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Takamaru, possibly. Though he's well known to us, he's rather unknown to the average player.
Not more than the Ice Climbers when they were released on Melee. And as a fighter he's even more average than them. Not saying it's a bad idea to include him, but I wouldn't classify him as WTF. They will surely push further. Like this:
Not more than the Ice Climbers when they were released on Melee. And as a fighter he's even more average than them. Not saying it's a bad idea to include him, but I wouldn't classify him as WTF. They will surely push further. Like this:

With sentient cars being trendy again (have you ever been in the sventies or the eighties?) thanks to Disney's Cars, it would make sense, as well as being unexpected.

Phonz

Smash Cadet
And I would really like to know how in the hell I would be able to go head to head with the likes of Mario, pikachu, or meta knight with a damn car

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
True. A better WTF would be someone like the Nintendouji guy in my signature, who's game is available only to Gold and Platinum members to Club Nintendo in Japan. He's the exclusive of exclusives. :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
True. A better WTF would be someone like the Nintendouji guy in my signature, who's game is available only to Gold and Platinum members to Club Nintendo in Japan. He's the exclusive of exclusives. :laugh:
Figures that your post is too short for the sig to actually appear. Now I have to click on you user name to see what you are talking about.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Figures that your post is too short for the sig to actually appear. Now I have to click on you user name to see what you are talking about.
My bad. I forgot that in the new forums, the signature only appears under the first post in a page. :facepalm:

Phonz

Smash Cadet
It seems like the definition WTF mite just be retro characters like pit, game and watch, R.O.B., or the ice climbers, which would make a character like little Mac or even a ninja turtle seeing as those were some great NES games.... Although tmnt might be a stretch I just want them in cuz that is one of my favorite series ever :chuckle:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
And I would really like to know how in the hell I would be able to go head to head with the likes of Mario, pikachu, or meta knight with a damn car
That is up to the developers.
Just question yourself: if someone told you of Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. before they were ially announced, would have your reaction been different?
The point of WTF chars, rather than compete with superstar chars, is to make the players going from "WTF!? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??" to "Not bad! Sort of want!" to "IT'S WORKING! IT'S WORKIIIING!!"
And before you stat the impossibility of use a car as a fighter, I remind you of the car of Daytona U.S.A. in Fighters Megamix.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A lot of people disbelived ROB when the 35 character Roster was revealed but I think that was because they stuck him right on the bottom of the Star Fox cast and thus mistook him for ROB 64.

We were complaining about 35 characters being to few... I hope we don't repeat that this time

splat

Smash Lord
We were complaining about 35 characters being to few... I hope we don't repeat that this time
Of course we will. It's in our nature to always want more, and be disappointed when it's not as much as we hoped.

That being said - there's so many characters being tossed around on these forums, there may not be any truly WTF-inducing character left. Then again, we may get GameBoyBoy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Impa or Kamek maybe?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm personally rootin' for Captain N. He's basically exactly the same as ROB in terms of WTF... both are clearly Nintendo related but didn't originate as a video game character. He'd be armed with awesome versions of every Nintendo gadget to have ever come out... that's some fantastic representation of Nintendo throughout its entire history.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking Non-Specific Action Figure Man or maybe Diskun. An advertising type thing.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Alternately...
"See this eggplant right here? It's all that's left of the last guy who crossed my path."​

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Do you mean WTF as in WTF were they thinking how could he get in/why did they choose him!

Or WTF as in wow wasent expecting him/he was alot less likely...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do you mean WTF as in WTF were they thinking how could he get in/why did they choose him!

Or WTF as in wow wasent expecting him/he was alot less likely...
The second of the WTFs.

Stuff like Pokemon Trainer, Snake, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
My modern Nintendo knowledge is kinda rusty because i sold Wii shortly after brawl...so i dont know whos exactly hip & that...i didnt even know who Takamaru/Shulk are untill peepz hear told me..plus never played any FE/Zelda/Kirby/Kid Icarus games so i know nothing about them series...

Played a little Starfox so cant really say...

Ermmm for me personally would be Anthony Higgs getting in over Ridley/Dark Samus....i would go BANKAI !!!!!

Speculator

Smash Ace
I don't really consider Captain Falcon a "WTF" character for SSB64. He was still appearing in games at the time. F-Zero X was released the same year as SSB64.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet Sukapon is up for consideration as SSB4's new surprise character. He certainly fits the bill as an unusual fighter - G&W is unusual because he's 2D, ROB is unusual because he's a peripheral, and Sukapon would be Smash's first limbless fighter. He's also in keeping with the trend of "WTF" characters being obscure Nintendo robo-things.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Any new third party will either be a WTF or a F YEAH!

As for first parties I think since ROB and G&W set the bar so high it's impossible for one character to completely catch us off-guard. I mean come on, the fan favorite in the lead up to brawl was a wooden puppet that appeared in a Mario game that wasn't released outside of Japan and America. (I like Geno BTW, just he got too hyped.)

D

Deleted member

I don't really consider Captain Falcon a "WTF" character for SSB64. He was still appearing in games at the time. F-Zero X was released the same year as SSB64.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet Sukapon is up for consideration as SSB4's new surprise character. He certainly fits the bill as an unusual fighter - G&W is unusual because he's 2D, ROB is unusual because he's a peripheral, and Sukapon would be Smash's first limbless fighter. He's also in keeping with the trend of "WTF" characters being obscure Nintendo robo-things.
Sukapon is never happening. Sakurai said not to expect him back after Melee and nothing has changed for him. Good as out as this point.

As for a WTF character, perhaps Mach Rider can fulfill that spot.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sukapon is never happening. Sakurai said not to expect him back after Melee and nothing has changed for him. Good as out as this point.
Maybe that's what makes him EXTRA WTF. That way the normals and the informed will both be caught off-guard.

Maybe...

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
In the first Super Smash Bros. it was Captain Falcon. In SSB Melee it was Mr. Game & Watch, in SSB Brawl it was R.O.B.
Who/What do you think could be this time?
Some Nintendo related but at the same time not expectable as a fighter. Like... Tetris.
Sheriff fits that statement and also the Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. archetype of a significant/iconic character from Nintendo's distant past that people never expected to be a fighter.

Mr. Game & Watch: Nintendo's first great video game success and the thing that gave birth to portable gaming
R.O.B.: an iconic peripheral that got the NES off the ground in the West.
Sheriff: Nintendo's first scenario based video game and Nintendo's first real character.

In that respect Sheriff may not actually be a 'WTF' character, since with Mr. G&W and R.O.B. coming before him in each of the previous editions his inclusion makes sense. Still, he'd be surprising nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom