• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (Version 3.0 Available!!!)

Jakor

Smash Ace
Im so annoyed!It used to work,but it dont no more!Ugh!Im on the verge of giving up!:mad: Why cant it work?Lol!I dont know the problem...its just not loading up...i dont know anymore...
Well, I don't know what the problem is either. And if you've tried everything I told you and it still doesn't work, then that's too bad.

One last thing, maybe you could try restarting your computer.

Butter Turtle

Smash Rookie
Well, I don't know what the problem is either. And if you've tried everything I told you and it still doesn't work, then that's too bad.

One last thing, maybe you could try restarting your computer.
Its a shame.Restarting didnt help...i was really looking foward to using the roster maker...:(Ill try a few more things,but thats all i can do...If anyone has this problem,then notify me and Jakor guys...if thats the case,Jakor can reupload the link and hope for the best.

TyVenus

Smash Rookie
That's a great Idea. By the way, can you please show me how to create those icons you did? :)

Jakor

Smash Ace
That's a great Idea. By the way, can you please show me how to create those icons you did? :)
Well, most of the icons in the current versions of the Roster Maker weren't made by me, but a member on this forum named Oasis_S. But since the release of the version 3.0 (which was in May 2012), I learned how to do nice looking icons too. So I've already made a bunch of new ones myself, and those will be included in the version 4.0, as well as other icons made by other users.

The version 4.0 of the Roster Maker is coming, though there is still no specific date of release yet (it could be a couple more weeks). I've done a lot of work already on the new version, but all I want to say is that it's going to be a huge update.

But anyway, the way I do the icons is quite simple actually. I will list here a step by step guide, for anyone to follow:
  1. Find the image of the character you want to use for your icon and save it on your computer.
  2. Open that image in Microsoft Paint.
  3. Make a square (for example 200x200 pixels) around the portion of the character you want to use for the icon, which is usually the head.
  4. Copy that portion of the character you just selected and paste it in a new Paint window.
  5. Once the image is pasted in the other window, resize it by pixels as 46x46.
  6. Select the entire image (shortcut is CTRL + A) and copy it.
  7. Open the following template in a new Paint window:
  8. Open the following image for the letters in a new Paint window:
  9. Paste your 46x46 image into the window with the template and place your image inside the frame.
  10. Copy and paste the letters you need from the other window to make the name of your icon.
  11. Save the image of your icon as something like "IconDonkey Kong.png", if you plan on using it in the Roster Maker.
All in all, that should be it. After you've made an icon, just repeat the process, keeping the four Paint windows that are already open. I don't know if that sounds complicated or not, but I can assure you it's pretty simple after you've done it a couple of times. An icon should take about 3 to 10 minutes to make, and that includes the time spent on searching for the image. Also, a tip to have a great result for your icon is to find an image of the character you want to use in the best quality possible (also, the greater the resolution, the better).

I hope that helps you, as well as other people!

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
I tried but I'm really bad at these things. In the next version can you please add Yoshimitsu? Thanks.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I tried but I'm really bad at these things. In the next version can you please add Yoshimitsu? Thanks.
Yes, I will.

College is keeping me really busy lately, but as soon as I'll have enough free time I will work on the version 4.0. A lot of work still has to be done though, so I can't give a specific date of release.

But thanks to everyone who tried the Roster Maker! The version 3.0 passed the 2000 downloads recently! I never imagined I'd reached that number.

EDIT: I want to tell everyone that I've been able to do quite a lot of work on the version 4.0 in the last few days. The next update will be a HUGE one, with hundreds of new characters and a bunch of new extremely useful functions that will be added.

Jakor

Smash Ace
Please make an iPad app for this it's epic! Also, add blue 3D character icons by Onyx Oblivian so it looks nicer.

:phone:
Coincidentally, I've learned how to make iPhone apps in one of my courses this semester. However, I don't personally own a MAC computer, so I can't really code the application, as I need a program that only works on MAC to make an iPhone app. There is a way to make one on Windows, but I would need to pay each month for it. :p And I don't own an iPhone either, so I wouldn't be able to test it properly.

I've thought about doing an app for Android phones though. I've already searched a bit on how to make one. But don't expect one soon though. I have no idea how many time it would take me to make it. There is definitely code I could reuse from the main version, but it also would need to be simpler in many ways.

Also make a section where you can make your own

:phone:
Make your own what?

Jakor

Smash Ace
Update: The version 4.0 of the Roster Maker will most likely be released sometime during this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday. Get ready for a huge update!

Jakor

Smash Ace
Version 4.0 of the Roster Maker is now available! Go to the first post of this thread to download it!

And of course, make sure to leave feedback, so I can further improve it!

If someone could tell me how to edit the title of this thread to change the version number to 4.0, or if an admin sees this, please change it!

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
Characters notably missing:
Ganon(not the newer boar like Ganon, but the classic, blue trident pig Ganon)
Monita(park guide/major character from Nintendoland)
Tempo(main hero of HarmoKnight)
Please add these in the next update?
Will keep adding with characters I find to be notably missing.

Jakor

Smash Ace
Chrom's Name is still spelled wrong XD. It's Chrom not Krom.
Yeah, I corrected all the icons related to Chrom in the version 4.0!

Characters notably missing:
Ganon(not the newer boar like Ganon, but the classic, blue trident pig Ganon)
Monita(park guide/major character from Nintendoland)
Tempo(main hero of HarmoKnight)
Please add these in the next update?
Will keep adding with characters I find to be notably missing.
Sure!

Also, if anyone has an error that says "Java Runtime Environment not valid" or something like that when double clicking on the ".exe" file, just copy what is inside the "dist" folder, so that means the file "Smash_Roster_Maker.jar" and the "lib" folder to the main directory where the ".exe" file is. Then, double click on the ".jar" file and the program should work fine! Of course, make sure you have Java 7 installed on your computer.

I'd really like to get more feedback on the version 4.0! If you have any comments, negative or positive, please tell them!

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
When I open the Roster Maker there is nothing in the suggestions list or in the all characters list and the 64 roster, the Melee roster, and the Brawl roster buttons won't do anything. Please help!

Jakor

Smash Ace
When I open the Roster Maker there is nothing in the suggestions list or in the all characters list and the 64 roster, the Melee roster, and the Brawl roster buttons won't do anything. Please help!
So basically there are no icons when you open the Roster Maker? Did you double click on the ".exe" file to start it? If so, make sure you have the "smashRoster.dat" file where the ".exe" file is, as well as the "images" folder containing all the 800 icons.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
All right it's very cool, though I'm trying to make a Nintendo Vs Sega roster and I'm really running out of options. Since you're putting characters even from Sony maybe next time pull out some obscure ones from Sega/Konami etc just for fun. For example Arthur from Ghosts 'N Goblins, or the missing ones who appear in Sonic Racing (Ulala, Beat, Joe Musashi). Could have potential not only for Smash rosters but others too.

Also, I noticed how you divided the characters in All/Newcomers/Veterans and others stuff. You could divide them based on the software house too. Or the franchise. Sadly I can't work this things out, I can barely make new icons, I'm that bad in these things.

Jakor

Smash Ace
All right it's very cool, though I'm trying to make a Nintendo Vs Sega roster and I'm really running out of options. Since you're putting characters even from Sony maybe next time pull out some obscure ones from Sega/Konami etc just for fun. For example Arthur from Ghosts 'N Goblins, or the missing ones who appear in Sonic Racing (Ulala, Beat, Joe Musashi). Could have potential not only for Smash rosters but others too.
Thanks for your reply! As for the Sega, Konami or other characters, I'd really like if you could make a list of the characters you want me to add.

Also, I noticed how you divided the characters in All/Newcomers/Veterans and others stuff. You could divide them based on the software house too. Or the franchise. Sadly I can't work this things out, I can barely make new icons, I'm that bad in these things.
There is already an option where you can choose the series for the characters in the list. But being able to sort them by company would be a neat idea!

I also have an open question for everyone to answer. Do you think adding other possible colors for the frame of the characters (such as green and yellow and not only blue or red) would be something useful to have or would such a feature be useless?

And if anyone else has other suggestions/comments, I'd like to hear them too!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I don't understand the question, you mean like a different palette of colors per character? I don't think it could be that useful if that's what you mean, seems like a lot of work also.

I didn't notice you divided them by franchise, that's also very useful.

Anyway maybe in some day I'll make a list of characters I think should be implemented in the game but maybe I'll miss someone out too, so maybe other users could help. Nice work anyway, do you make everything by yourself?

Jakor

Smash Ace
Well yeah, I did the Roster Maker all by myself. But there are quite a few people who helped to make the character icons.

You know how when you click on an icon in the roster and the frame around it changes from blue to red or red to blue, to represent starter and unlockable characters? Basically, I want to know if anyone would like if it cycled through more colors instead of just these two.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Well yeah, I did the Roster Maker all by myself. But there are quite a few people who helped to make the character icons.

You know how when you click on an icon in the roster and the frame around it changes from blue to red or red to blue, to represent starter and unlockable characters? Basically, I want to know if anyone would like if it cycled through more colors instead of just these two.
Oh now I get it. Don't know, maybe another color for the supposed alternate costumes?
Like Mario = blue Dr. Mario = green? Could be confusing though.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Coincidentally, I've learned how to make iPhone apps in one of my courses this semester. However, I don't personally own a MAC computer, so I can't really code the application, as I need a program that only works on MAC to make an iPhone app. There is a way to make one on Windows, but I would need to pay each month for it. :p And I don't own an iPhone either, so I wouldn't be able to test it properly.

I've thought about doing an app for Android phones though. I've already searched a bit on how to make one. But don't expect one soon though. I have no idea how many time it would take me to make it. There is definitely code I could reuse from the main version, but it also would need to be simpler in many ways.
Well, I'll definitely be waiting ;) ! I was hoping that you would make an app for it though, it would fit perfectly... Oh well :urg: ...

Jakor

Smash Ace
Well, I'll definitely be waiting ;) ! I was hoping that you would make an app for it though, it would fit perfectly... Oh well :urg: ...
Well, it sure would be nice, but like I said I don't have much experience in coding for Android platforms.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Anyway here's a first list of characters that aren't in the Roster Maker which I think deserve to be in. I divided them in Software House first and Franchises then when needed. Obviously some of them are simply famous videogame characters, not really related to Smash Bros. or Nintendo at all, but it seems to me that their inclusion would be good for other roster makings (like dunno, a Namco Vs Capcom game, or the new Playstation All-Stars, or an X-Box All-Stars, something like that):

Obviously, these come from franchises I know, maybe someone else could add some other stuff.

CAPCOM

- Resident Evil: Leon Kennedy, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Nemesis, Albert Wesker, Claire Redfield, Ada Wong, Rebecca Chambers, HUNK

- Ghosts 'n Goblins: Arthur, Firebrand

- Street Fighter: basically everyone? Especially Ken, M. Bison, Guile, Zangief and Akuma are missing

SEGA

- You should check out the rosters in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing plus its sequel Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, basically. Especially B.D. Joe from Crazy Taxi, Ulala from Space Channel 5, Beat from Jet Set Radio, Gillius from Golden Axe, Reala from Nights, Vyse from Skies Of Arcadia, Ryo from Shenmue...
Also ToeJam & Earl and Vectorman from their respective franchises should be in.

NAMCO BANDAI:

I know only their fighting games sadly, so here we go:

- Soul Calibur: Mitsurugi, Voldo, Astaroth, Cervantes, Maxi, Xianghua, Hwang especially.

- Tekken: Alex, Kuma, Panda, Ogre, King, Armor King, Jinpachi, Devil Jin, Sergei Dragunov ('cause I love him), Bob, Slim Bob, Mokujin, Combot, Eddy Gordo and others probably lol

RARE:

Now you already put a lot of Rare characters in, but the more the merrier in this case.

- Banjo-Kazooie: Bottles, Brentilda, Tooty, Jinjonator, Blobbelda, Mingella, Klungo, King Jingaling, Sergeant Jamjars, Master Jiggywiggy, L.O.G.

- Killer Instinct: since they're few, you should put them all in it. Fulgore can't be out though.

Also, maybe some random Pinata and the guys from Diddy Kong Racing (a lot are already in I think). And the protagonist of Kameo.

SUCKER PUNCH (Sony):

- Rocket from Rocket: Robot On Wheels (actually a Nintendo exclusive)

- Sly Cooper: Bentley, Murray, Carmelita Fox, Arpeggio, Panda King, Dimitri, Clockwerk, Neyla.

NAUGHTY DOG (Sony):

- Crash Bandicoot: Coco, Dr. Neo Cortex, N. Gin, Dingodile, Aku Aku, Polar, Ripper Roo, Fake Crash, Tiny Tiger

- Jak & Daxter: Gol, Metal Kor, Baron Praxis, Erol, Krew, Samos, Keira, Ashelin, Sig, Torn, Tess

- Uncharted: Elena Fisher, Victor Sullivan, Chloe Frazer

INSOMNIAC (Sony):

- Spyro The Dragon: Gnasty Gnorc, Ripto, The Sorceress, Hunter, Moneybags, Elora, Bianca, Sgt. James Byrd, Agent 9, Sheila, Bentley, The Professor, Sparx

- Ratchet & Clank: Qwark, Dr. Nefarious, Lawrence, Drek

Some MICROSOFT characters:

- Alan Wake
- Marcus Fenix, Dom, Baird, Cole, General RAAM from Gears Of War
- The cast of Left 4 Dead 1 and 2

Other random characters:

- Isaac Clarke from Dead Space
- Jack Cayman from MadWorld
- Some soldier from Battalion Wars
- Some of the protagonists of Grand Theft Auto
- Chell, P-Body, Wheatley, GLaDOS, Cave Johnson, Atlas from the Portal franchise

I think it's enough for now, lol. Obviously these are just suggestions and some of them are kinda impossible to fit in a Smash Bros. roster, or a fighting roster at all (like some of the Portal characters). I talked mostly about third parties because I think Nintendo is already really well represented.

Jakor

Smash Ace
Thanks for that list! That's quite a lot of characters though, which will surely be a lot of work to do them all!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Again this are just suggestions, for Smash Bros dream rosters the program it's already perfect as it is. Since you put PSABR's roster in it though I figured the roster maker could be useful for other fangames too. Lol maybe you could make icons for horror movie monsters for Terrordrome rosters. Just sayin'.

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I think this here is a list of the characters that are notably missing that I'd really like to see added in the next version.

*Quote(Cave Story)
*Tempo(HarmoKnight)
*Monita(Nintendoland)
*Blue Pig Ganon(Zelda)
*Ganondorf/Ganon combo(Zelda again)
*Rambi(Donkey Kong)
*The Baby(Metroid)
*Um Jammer Lammy(Titular character; it's a Playstation game)
*Ico(Ico)
*Wander(Shadow of the Colossus)
*Chell(Portal)
*GlaDOS(Portal)
*Raz(Psychonauts)
*Gordon Freeman(Half-Life)
*Clippit(Microsoft Word)
*Jack of Blades(Fable)
*Castle Crasher(Castle Crashers)
*The Kid(Bastion)
*Marcus Fenix(Gears of War)
*Blinx(Blinx)
*Zeus(God of War)
*Isaac Clarke(Dead Space)

And, for Pokemon...
*Sylveon
*Flareon
*Jolteon
*Vaporeon
*Umbreon
*Espeon
*Marill
*Leafeon
*Glaceon
*Buizel
*Psyduck
*Milotic
*Munchlax
*Bonsly
*Sudowoodo

And, if you'd be so kind as to add the full roster of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Ultimate, that'd be super cool! :0

Also: What if Third and Fourth Party characters could be sorted by Company? Capcom or Rare or Sony or Disney or whoever.
(Also, you should add a function to sort alphabetically by game. So that all the characters hailing from the same game can be grouped together!)

I'd also recommend that you'd either refine the popularity gauge, or remove it. And, a few mistakes...
1. Lolo is a male.
2. Baby Peach is a Yoshi character.
3. KOS-MOS is third party.
4. John Raimi is not.
5. Kalas is third party.

Jakor

Smash Ace
Alright, I think this here is a list of the characters that are notably missing that I'd really like to see added in the next version.

*Quote(Cave Story)
*Tempo(HarmoKnight)
*Monita(Nintendoland)
*Blue Pig Ganon(Zelda)
*Ganondorf/Ganon combo(Zelda again)
*Rambi(Donkey Kong)
*The Baby(Metroid)
*Um Jammer Lammy(Titular character; it's a Playstation game)
*Ico(Ico)
*Wander(Shadow of the Colossus)
*Chell(Portal)
*GlaDOS(Portal)
*Raz(Psychonauts)
*Gordon Freeman(Half-Life)
*Clippit(Microsoft Word)
*Jack of Blades(Fable)
*Castle Crasher(Castle Crashers)
*The Kid(Bastion)
*Marcus Fenix(Gears of War)
*Blinx(Blinx)
*Zeus(God of War)
*Isaac Clarke(Dead Space)

And, for Pokemon...
*Sylveon
*Flareon
*Jolteon
*Vaporeon
*Umbreon
*Espeon
*Marill
*Leafeon
*Glaceon
*Buizel
*Psyduck
*Milotic
*Munchlax
*Bonsly
*Sudowoodo

And, if you'd be so kind as to add the full roster of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Ultimate, that'd be super cool! :0

Also: What if Third and Fourth Party characters could be sorted by Company? Capcom or Rare or Sony or Disney or whoever.
(Also, you should add a function to sort alphabetically by game. So that all the characters hailing from the same game can be grouped together!)

I'd also recommend that you'd either refine the popularity gauge, or remove it. And, a few mistakes...
1. Lolo is a male.
2. Baby Peach is a Yoshi character.
3. KOS-MOS is third party.
4. John Raimi is not.
5. Kalas is third party.
I'll definitely consider your requests and suggestions! About Baby Peach, I wasn't sure where to put her as her first game was Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, although I guess it would make sense to put her in the "Yoshi" series with the other babies.

I've already started dividing Third Party characters, by adding the "Sonic" and "Metal Gear" series as sort options. I think continuing in that direction would be better instead of adding yet even more sort buttons. Sorting them by series is a really good idea though that I will definitely implement. I was already thinking about separating the Rare and Sega characters among others, as well as putting franchises that are exclusives to Playstation in the "Sony" category and characters exclusive to Xbox in the "Microsoft" category.

Top Bottom