• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the Spacies matchup

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Ok so I just picked up samus and I have to say I just love her combo ability. So godly. But yeah anyway, my friend plays falco and I am having trouble getting in. For one when he uses lasers its really hard to out projectile him. Any advice?

Also how do you deal with spacies in general? I find them very difficult to deal with b/c samus can't match them in speed. And b/c I don't know samus well enough I don't know which moves should be used.

So any advice will really help.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
My best advice is probably to watch more videos on the match-up. If you find a strategy that works in the video, try to apply it. If you find a maneuver that gets punished, avoid using it. Remember, most people don't upload sucky matches to the internet. They don't want to release the public humiliation.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Too bad there aren't many vids on Samus vs. spacies and those that do exist the Samus player usually loses. I don't know too much but I can give a few tips.

Don't use super missiles, only homing ones. Spacies can reflect supers back at you while homing ones will slow down too much. Try and use zair a lot because it has very good range and can't be reflecting like projectiles. Jabbing under pressure can help give you a little breathing room. Follow those buggers off the stage. If they're below then fox/falco need to use firefox which takes a little time to charge, giving you the opportunity to spike them. Zairing off stage will also put them far away, making recovery impossible at higher percentages. That's all I got.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
From what I've seen. It seems as though samus is played by setting up traps (laying bombs, homing missles) and then combo like crazy when the opponent screws up. However, against falco and wolf, their lasers prevent you from effectively doing these things. So how do you guys adapt to this pressure? Do you attempt to outcamp them or do you beat them in an in-fight?

Yeah and could you link me to vids w/ samus vs falco or wolf. Fox isn't that hard of a matchup b/c his lasers don't screw up my approach like wolf and falco. I just can't find samus vs falco/wolf.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I fought against someone who played as Fox while I was in Basic Brawl. I thought that he was the most worthiest Fox player I had ever come across. I hope he thought the same about me. When I tried to hit him, sometimes my attacks would hit his shield, and then I'd shield, and he'd try to hit me. Even though I lost against him, what made it worthwhile was that I was fighting someone who was in my league. If only I could have gotten his Friend Code!

Anyway, since Fox/Falco/Wolf have the Reflector, don't rely on using Super Missiles and Charge Shots, unless you can catch him off guard. (Well, perhaps this would be different with Falco, since Falco's Reflector goes outward and then away, which means that he has to perform Down + B constantly, rather than statically.) I rely more on my A attacks when fighting these characters. I'll even use d-airs, z-airs and Screw Attacks, along with f-airs, d-tilts, d-smash, &c.

I hope that helps.

Kill@Will

Smash Cadet
Ok so I just picked up samus and I have to say I just love her combo ability. So godly. But yeah anyway, my friend plays falco and I am having trouble getting in. For one when he uses lasers its really hard to out projectile him. Any advice?

Also how do you deal with spacies in general? I find them very difficult to deal with b/c samus can't match them in speed. And b/c I don't know samus well enough I don't know which moves should be used.

So any advice will really help.
well what i like to do against falco while he blastin is just inch up and shield or airdodge and move foward, but not so much so that he can mess me up. Or you can jump and shoot homing missiles, just don't shoot supers. I mean sometimes you are gonna have to take a hit in order to get what you want so don't be afraid of taking a few shots. For wolf, i sort of do whatever, or however i fight fox, i fight wolf the same but i am aware of wolf's moveset, get me? I'm not necessarily afraid of fox and wolf. Fox's lasers doesn't stop anyone's movements and wolf's laser does, but it's short and a start up time that let's me move around more. So yea i'm in the same boat in finding out how to deal with falcos. O and if you can, make sure to utilize that Zair...pure greatness. A lot of things samus supposedly can do (from what i have seen on the boards) i didn't know so i will have to learn to apply these within my game.

Kill@Will

Smash Cadet
Or what may just have to happen is that you may have to find another main. I don't know which one exactly, but it may come down to it. We all know people have pride and would want to keep their character and possibly be the one to find that great info to tell the 'Boards on how to beat ______. But the next best thing is to find someone else. If you want to, try pit and spam those arrows like hundreds of pit players.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I only need to switch mains when I'm fighting a character Mario-sized or shorter. Zair becomes ineffective on such characters and that's the sole move that keeps Samus from being the worst character in the game. Try not to use bombs on Falco/Wolf since that'll usually get them to shoot more lasers at you while staying away from the bomb. The spacies tend to fall fast so you can literally drag them off the stage with repeated zairs, just like d3's cg. Their falling speed also allows you to combo more easily, though it also allows them to do the same.

Kill@Will

Smash Cadet
I only need to switch mains when I'm fighting a character Mario-sized or shorter. Zair becomes ineffective on such characters and that's the sole move that keeps Samus from being the worst character in the game. Try not to use bombs on Falco/Wolf since that'll usually get them to shoot more lasers at you while staying away from the bomb. The spacies tend to fall fast so you can literally drag them off the stage with repeated zairs, just like d3's cg. Their falling speed also allows you to combo more easily, though it also allows them to do the same.
Yea i gotsta agree here. Switch to samus when fighting characters Mario or smaller, because they will just look at your zair like it's a lightshow. Zair is such a gay or annoying move aint it? lol

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
from my experience (mostly against wolf), playing a smart defense is key. super missiles get reflected back at you with greater speed so try to use homing. avoid the blaster and make good use of your zair. what samus lacks in speed, she easily makes up in power. spotdodge to a dtilt works wonders...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I only need to switch mains when I'm fighting a character Mario-sized or shorter. Zair becomes ineffective on such characters [...].
I can hit Kirby with my z-air, as long as it isn't on Wi-Fi. Then again, I seldom use my z-air in Wi-Fi, unless my opponents are in the air or standing on a platform.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Some stuff has already been said about zair here, bu just to elaborate, it is pretty much your best freind against spacies. Honestly falco is the only space animal that gives samus a problem. Speed isn't really an issue with spacies though. Heres some stuff to think about when fighting them:

1. Lasers are really good, obviousley. You can however zair between them if your timing is right. A full hop zair, DI'd back works really well. After knocking him out of camping mode you can follow up with a lot of cool ****. Up B is amazing in general, but against spacies its super good. The thing that makes the matchup good for samus is that ALL of the spacies can be comboed in the air. Zair cant be reflected, and it can gimp ALL of their recoveries.

2. Don't be afraid to go off the stage and spike the **** out of all the spacies. Samus is good at it, so go for it.

3. Against aggresive spacies, use bombs freely. Bombs stop their advances and ground combos.

4. Ftilt and Utilt are great friends against spacies. Both have better range than her fsmash, and utilt sets up for combos, and can KO.

These are jut some things to incorporate. Try some stuff out and see what works with your play style.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Wow thx guys this is some great stuff. The problem I'm having right now is to edgeguard effectively (which will come in time) and to use her u-tilt. I know its a great move but its just way too hard to land when you're playing a spot-dodge and ultra attacking falco.

Top Bottom