• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Spacie Kick: The Comeback

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
tech chasing X 10000000. its a wonderful kill move especially on fastfallers because they arent floaty enough to jump out of things like dthrow until VERY high percents, and it covers like almost every single one of their options. Great after an aerial dair as well becuase you can usually read their roll and follow it very easily.

Jorgitis

Smash Rookie
It CAN be used to tech chase but I feel you're better off just trying to tech chase with Wolf's dash attack. If you know when the opponent is gonna get up or roll after a knockdown, this move can work; otherwise, I'd just try to react to their desired tech with a dash attack since at high percents, you can just combo dash attack into a f-air kill.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Up+B doesn't even knock them down afaik. I tried it a few times and they always recover standing. Fsmash has similar range, more knockback, and is safer than Up+B. It's incredibly easy to techchase with fsmash, usually without even moving. Use that, or dash attack like Jorgitis said. I feel like dash attack would be perfect for pick-ups at low percents.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
UpB can be useful sometimes at really high percents, but yeah it's usually just outclassed by Wolf's other tech chase options. Decent in the air sometimes, and you can sweetspot the edge from above to intercept their recovery occasionally. Especially out of combos that bring them offstage, but it's still pretty risky in general unless you're sure you have the follow up. Sweetspotting from the ground (Similar to a Raptor Boost/Flame Choke) can sometimes be okay considering it's hard to punish and makes a good reset. Spacie Kick is great for suicide kills.

All in all I like to use it sometimes for it's unique knockback, but like the people above me mentioned most of the time it's better to pick something more practical.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well up b offers a few things that those other attacks dont. the fact that it cant knock them down means that they cant double stick DI tech it into the ground, like you might try to do to survive a falcon punch. also, the angle that it sends at can be deadly if you hit your opponent near the edge, ESPECIALLY if they are a fastfaller or have a very linear recovery (for example, ike). these two things are not offered by fsmash, as fsmash can be double stick DI teched at very high percents (percents that would mean guaranteed kills with up b) and even if they do not tech it in this manor, they can easily just DI it up to survive, as fsmash doesnt have that much power. very few people use the double stick DI tech i speak of (if you are confused, go to youtube, search it, and watch magus' video), but against people who do use it, you find it very hard to kills in the ways that you are used to. simple fsmashes and dsmashes will be relatively useless (at least in terms of killing) until percents that are well past kill range, as in, you should have already killed them.

likewise, in an ideal world, you will mix between your options anyways. Dash attack would be one of my recommendations for lower percent tech chases, in conjunction with JCed grabs, as they will both net you a good set up. but when you get into kill range, dash attack will most likely not net you anything. that is where i recommend you mix in up b, as it has superior coverage, speed, and killing power. obviously, up b would be a very poor choice at lower percents. sticking to one method is a very poor method in general, and that is why i think up b is so useful. it lends you an additional option with potential for great reward at kill percents. right there, thats a threat to any opponent who is trying to predict how wolf is going to tech chase them, as increased options and coverage make predicting anything and reacting properly very difficult.

obviously at lower percents there are better options, but the sort of tech chasing im talking about is the kind when theyve just entered kill percent, and one move that can cover almost all of options, cant be teched, cant be DIed, and sends at an extremely difficult angle to recover from is hands down a great kill move. once you get into the 100 % range, that it when this move will shine. if you dont believe me, just try experimenting with it a little bit to see the kills you can gain with it.

Scythe

Smash Master
it seems that it would only maybe work as a really hard read and pretty much would ruin any control you had in the match if you miss.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
alright, lets say you dthrow a fox at about 100%. hes not gonna be able to jump out of the dtrhow (due to his fall speed) so hes going to be forced to tech in place, tech roll away, or tech roll towards you. or just miss the tech. if you up b after him, you will cover a roll away, a tech in place, and a missed tech. thats 3 out of 4 options. if you stay unpredictable with you tech chasing methods, it is not a hard read at all. lets say you miss and he rolls behind you. well then there is more than enough space between you and fox that you can completely reset to neutral and pick up your game again. sound hard? no its incredibly easy, trust me. its not even theory craft, it something that i use quite frequently actually, and if it didnt work i wouldnt have brought it up here and i wouldnt still be using it.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
but, if you dthrow then dash to the left in the same situation, you can try to cover the tech roll in, while also trying to cover the other 3/4 options with up B if can react quickly

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
thats true. all the more reason to show that up b is a versatile tech chase move when going for kills.

Perfecthell4

Smash Apprentice
I also find it can be useful as a mix-up option from the air going diagonally down when an opponent is getting too aggressive. The physics of the ground bounce help it to be relatively safe, creating some extra distance if your opponent avoids it. The only way it's getting punished is if the opponent reacts extremely well to it and backs off to cover the area the bounce will land you, but if you use this very sparingly the opponent likely will not be able to read the landing. It's more to throw them off with your defense than as something you expect to land and hurt.

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
This move is the bane of Luigi/Squirtle/Lucas lol. Literally sends them across the entire stage.

Rat

Smash Lord
That was me :)

How about this one?

Uh not sure if it's been said in this thread yet... The move sends them in the direction you're going. If you go right they go right. If you go down they go down. (True spike) The move seems to do a weirdy wind hit - which causes them to go flying even if they are not in hit stun.

So yeah if you use it to grab the edge downward you get lulzy spikes. but iirc they can DI in and Tech the wall.

Rat

Smash Lord
lol. Gotta represent that Vortex sponsor!

Honestly though, it's a combination of things. Arty hype is a big factor. Watching and learning from your beastly wolf is another one.

Also Wolf as a character rewards aggressive play. While his approach options aren't the best, the reward is massive. And his tool set doesn't really allow for defensive zoning. Laser zoning is risky to set-up and hard to maintain. (It's match-up dependent - they are still incredible.)

Plus, if you run away forever you'll never win. Especially against really good players, gotta roll the dice and see how your stuff stacks up against them. If you get scared and defensive you'll reduce the chance to win. Keep pushing for victory.

Now that's some anime **** right there.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Way...
Too...
Few...
Free...
And...
Not...
Taken...
Side-B's...
ARGEHEEHHRAKHLRNEfdHH!!!!