• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Personally, I never thought the whole "If we make Ridley playable, it wouldn't be Ridley anymore" argument by Sakurai was legitimate.

Zeox

Smash Champion
There is gonna be a big difference between this roster and the one from smash 4.
Because before smash 4 it was brawl, and in those days, there was no twitter or crazy reaction youtubers, so Nintendo knew less what characters generate more hype.
With Smash 4, they probably recieve hundred of messages in twitter asking for Ridley and there was tons of videos about ridley and any other popular character... + the ballot.
Pretty much after smash 4, Nintendo knows better what the fans want.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
There on honestly so many leaks that it will hardly affect anything. If this one is real. It's still a surprise. The surprise being it was real, on top of the surprise of Ridley being in the game. Plus we get the surprise of how he'll look, how he'll be revealed, how he'll play. This leak feels very inconsequential in terms of excitement

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If by chance more insiders believe the Simon/Ridley leak, would the leak personally kill the hype for you when the reveal trailer comes at E3?
There on honestly so many leaks that it will hardly affect anything. If this one is real. It's still a surprise. The surprise being it was real, on top of the surprise of Ridley being in the game. Plus we get the surprise of how he'll look, how he'll be revealed, how he'll play. This leak feels very inconsequential in terms of excitement
Your both right

Part of the reason the hype would disappear is we would know everybody from smash 4 including dlc is in the game

The surprise factor would only be the newcomers and resurrections from previous games (for this case ice climbers, wolf and hopefully snake.)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
If by chance more insiders believe the Simon/Ridley leak, would the leak personally kill the hype for you when the reveal trailer comes at E3?
nope, I'd still be just as excited to find out if it's real or not, the anticipation surrounding this right now is killing me

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If the leak does turn out to be real then it'd obviously have been even crazier had we known nothing in advance, if only because Ridley's chances were deemed to be somewhere around 1%. If Simon gets revealed before Ridley then it might put a little bit of a dampener on the reveal aswell as we'll then know what will come next.

There is however nothing that can outright kill the hype for Ridley's reveal though, worst case scenario it'd still be absolutely amazing to witness. I think for a lot of us it'll always be a "I'll believe it when I see it" scenario, it's like finding the holy grail at this point. I've been burnt too many times at this point, so personally I know I can never feel 100% sure of his inclusion until a proper reveal, no matter how reliable any insiders that endorse the leak might be.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
nah cause while probably the most strong leak outthere, still have a tons of holes which means that i will only believe it when i see it.

and even then actually SEEING my two most wanted characters since friggin Melee intro (and snake reveal) getting in would still be hype as HYPE.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Part of the reason the hype would disappear is we would know everybody from smash 4 including dlc is in the game
What are you talking about? No cuts whatsoever would be amazing for hype. Everybody who's worried about any characters at all from Smash 4 would have a huge sigh of relief and hype for their favorite Smash 4 character's return. I'm on the "Expect a few cuts, but hope for none" train myself. Though I think if there are any cuts, at least for most characters anyway. They may be added later in an update and/or DLC (As greedy as that might be)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What are you talking about? No cuts whatsoever would be amazing for hype. Everybody who's worried about any characters at all from Smash 4 would have a huge sigh of relief and hype for their favorite Smash 4 character's return. I'm on the "Expect a few cuts, but hope for none" train myself. Though I think if there are any cuts, at least for most characters anyway. They may be added later in an update and/or DLC (As greedy as that might be)
Yeah, but telling us from the very beginning that there aren't any cuts?

That's no fun for us speculators, even if there really are no cuts.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd have no problem if they announced right away that there aren't any cuts, or at least announced a lot of veterans at the same time. I'd rather not have to be in suspense until the end of the year wondering if characters like Shulk, Mewtwo, any of the third parties, etc. are returning or not.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I don't know, just feels like a distinct possibility that one of the things they could announce is at least a "And don't worry, many of your favorite characters from the last game will be returning in this game" with a clip show of many returning characters (Probably mostly obvious ones anyway but still) even if it's not quite all of them to keep some degree of suspense (As well the likelihood that some characters from a past game might have to be unlocked). Especially if this game isn't going to quite get the daily news/photo like both Brawl and Smash 4 received.

(Maybe they'll go back to the daily stuff after E3, but who knows)

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
not at all, closer to the opposite actually. right now i just dread that he won't happen at all, and i'll be disappointed in the new additions like last time. getting confirmation that he's coming would still leave me anxious about his portrayal but it would at least be a shred of hope.

IronTed

Smash Ace
It's good to see DasVergeben doubling down on Ridley being playable, as opposed to backtracking. Also, since he claims Ridley is an E3 thing, it'll be settled in less than a month.

I believe the rumor, but only because I'm perpetually optimistic. I always believed this would be Ridley's time, even if it's very unlikely. So rumor or no rumor, my view is the same.

The rumor itself seems reasonable though, and while he's relayed bad info on multiple occasions, Star Fox Grand Prix is the kind of circumstantial evidence that at the very least makes this worth considering, if nothing else.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's good to see DasVergeben doubling down on Ridley being playable, as opposed to backtracking. Also, since he claims Ridley is an E3 thing, it'll be settled in less than a month.

I believe the rumor, but only because I'm perpetually optimistic. I always believed this would be Ridley's time, even if it's very unlikely. So rumor or no rumor, my view is the same.

The rumor itself seems reasonable though, and while he's relayed bad info on multiple occasions, Star Fox Grand Prix is the kind of circumstantial evidence that at the very least makes this worth considering, if nothing else.
I so desperately don't want to believe it to prevent the disappointment if it isn't real but I can't stop myself from doing so. I stay clinging to these ridley leaks, I remember being hopeful for that tower of smash leak until the very end because I wanted it to be true so badly lmao.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
i just heard about the ridley rumor, and as it seems it has some credebility, and man IF this is true i will **** a brick.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
well the ridley fake leaks have been absent for most of the time so far. i would go nuts if THIS time we get ridley, ... perhaps the fighter baloot had him at the top again, so that they now had to add him. i mean. it would make sense to do that

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
i also have realized that hmk has now a list of newcommers for smash, in which ridley makes no6, i mean the man hated on ridley back in 2014

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I'm surprised they just started to talk about it now.
They probably ignored it at first.

I wonder what made them notice it.

On another note, I think Sakurai mentioned in an interview back in 2016 that The Legend of Zelda and Castlevania were games released in 1986 that had a big impact on him.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
They probably ignored it at first.

I wonder what made them notice it.

On another note, I think Sakurai mentioned in an interview back in 2016 that The Legend of Zelda and Castlevania were games released in 1986 that had a big impact on him.
Considering the treatment of the Zelda franchise in Smash Bros., that puts a bit of a damper on hopes of the Riddlemont leak for me.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
we over looked something important,

if he makes it in WE GET A RIDLEY AMIIBO

IronTed

Smash Ace
I mean, IIRC people initially ignored Vergeben's Star Fox Grand Prix rumor, too. He isn't exactly high profile, and being honest, being associated with GameFaqs doesn't inspire credibility.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
As much as I'd love to believe the Reset & Vergeben leaks, to save myself from disappointment I refuse to believe them unless they're proven true. I can't let myself get disappointed again after Sm4sh, lol.

It'd kill my immediate reaction if Simon gets revealed first, but I'd still be ecstatic just to have Ridley.

Admittedly, if they chose the Other M artstyle again and gave us Other M Ridley that would kill a lot of the hype for me. I'd still be happy, but really disappointed we got what I find to be the ugliest iteration of Metroid's characters. Modding could always fix it later, though.

That's not impressive as a bunch of people there are Memoryman alts that get banned over and over again
Hey, don't be mean.

...It's not just Memoryman, I've had experiences with a couple of other obsessed Daisy fans that harass other people over their character. Memoryman just gets most of the credit. ;)

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It definitely would lose the surprise factor, especially if as MasterOfKnees said Simon gets confirmed first, but it wouldn't kill my hype in the slightest. Ridley has always been one of my most wanted characters, but at the same time I came into this game with tempered expectations and the rumors haven't fully changed that since they are still questionable, so if we went into E3 and he was confirmed I'd be ecstatic since it'd mean one of my dream characters finally made the roster after so long.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
How would we feel about Ridley's Final Smash summoning Mother Brain? Not the assist trophy Mother Brain, mind you.

Kraid would also be a fun Final Smash IMO, he could show up from the ground of the stage similar to the Ice Climbers' Final Smash (and how he appears in Super Metroid) and do his thing. Could also work as an assist trophy.

Top Bottom