• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I come bearing art of Ridley.

Dear lord was he hard to draw. I hope it came out alright, first time drawing the big guy.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I come bearing art of Ridley.

Dear lord was he hard to draw. I hope it came out alright, first time drawing the big guy.
This looks very good overall. I can imagine that a difficult part of drawing him for you is the proportioning of the legs. I personally think that the arms are fine. Ridley's tail and wings are my favorite parts of this drawing. Pretty solid imo.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This looks very good overall. I can imagine that a difficult part of drawing him for you is the proportioning of the legs. I personally think that the arms are fine. Ridley's tail and wings are my favorite parts of this drawing. Pretty solid imo.
The tail was actually the hardest part to do, and these kind of wings are always annoying for me. His chest was also problematic.

I probably had most trouble with positioning, but I always have trouble with that. Fitting him into the full picture was also a bit of trouble.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well then, I must say that I wasn't expecting the speculation for the next smash to begin so soon, but alright then, I might as well start with this :

As my most wanted character, I'm supporting Ridley addition as a playable character once again.

I mean, sure, I don't have high hopes this time considering what happened last time and Sakurai words, but, eh, when has that stopped smash fans to want their own characters in smash before.

Ridley makes it in ? **** Yeah ! Take my money right now !
Sakurai say no again ? Welp ! There's always the next game.

I got pretty mad last time at Sakurai as stupid as that was, I'm honest enough to admit it, but not this time, nope, this time around it's casual Ridley support for me.

I got plenty of things I'd like to have (and not have) in the next smash, probably going to support several characters instead of a single one, so no wasting time debating Ridley's chances out of a dedicated thread and no getting involved when someone taunt the thread about some arbitrary rule that somehow only concerns Ridley (exemple : a boss can't become playable, his character would be ruined if he is downsized, Metroid is about isolation, etc etc) I'm sure other people will do it for me anyway, Ridley fans do tends to protect their favorite space dragon after all ^^, I'd would rather talk about Ridley's awesomeness, potentiel moveset, design and other potential fun things like I should have done for the last game.

Speaking of which, anyone want to bet the next big Ridley speculation ? We had clouds in brawl, shadows in 4, what is going to be our next big thing ? My money is on reflections (let's say on Samus's visor to add to the fun/frustration).

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Speaking of which, anyone want to bet the next big Ridley speculation ? We had clouds in brawl, shadows in 4, what is going to be our next big thing ? My money is on reflections (let's say on Samus's visor to add to the fun/frustration).
Slimy residue from Other M Ridley's gross molting.

None. Because we are going to act reasonably this time and not get caught up on crazy conspiracies.

Right guys. . .Right? . . .Guys?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
None. Because we are going to act reasonably this time and not get caught up on crazy conspiracies.

Hopefully, though now I wish I'd been here on Smashboards when Smash 4 speculation was going on. IGN's Nintendo boards were still fun though.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042

I hope your customized title thing below your name was made before you made that comment, would be all the funnier...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
His subtitle thing was already that before that post, yeah.

Just casual support to keep the fandom alive is kinda the way to go for now unless new Metroid developments actually arise this E3 or something, but as usual, not getting hopes up.

I hope your customized title thing below your name was made before you made that comment, would be all the funnier...
i've had this title for a few weeks after i realized there were people who will do anything to not enjoy things, smash in particular.

IMO it's the best way to handle gaming and certainly tge best way to handle speculation especially when ridley is involved :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Frankly for me, over-analysing is part of the fun. The trick is to laugh at yourself when you're wrong, and laugh at everyone else when you're right.

In your face dude who said the 3DS couldn't handle Smash about 5 yeats ago!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Shut up, my numbers and dates when characters recently last appeared are more important than your fun and whoever you're wanting to have.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

What did they speculate about, Ridley's shadow in the Smash Direct?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Lots of different things, more than I care to remember... There was the shadow supposedly grabbing Pikachu from what it looked like at the time (something Hazardly didn't have in the final version of the game IIRC), and other hoopla like that. No one ever suspected those tubes under the platform of Pyrosphere would play a part in one of his attack patterns though, giving him the darker form from Other M with the skin changing.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Lots of different things, more than I care to remember... There was the shadow supposedly grabbing Pikachu from what it looked like at the time (something Hazardly didn't have in the final version of the game IIRC), and other hoopla like that. No one ever suspected those tubes under the platform of Pyrosphere would play a part in one of his attack patterns though, giving him the darker form from Other M with the skin changing.
Well mostly that and the trophy theory :

As for the Pyrosphere, in our defense I really don't see how we were suposed to see "Meta" Ridley coming from the Other M clone of all Rideys considering he didn't need any help in Other M to power up and isn't the Ridley that become Meta Ridley ^^'

Anyone have a list of Smash 4 Ridley attacks by the way ? I'm curious to see what we could keep for a potential moveset.

D

Deleted member

Reminder that "Meta Ridley" being the name of the form on Pyrosphere is just a localization error.
It's actually "Black Ridley".

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well mostly that and the trophy theory :

As for the Pyrosphere, in our defense I really don't see how we were suposed to see "Meta" Ridley coming from the Other M clone of all Rideys considering he didn't need any help in Other M to power up and isn't the Ridley that become Meta Ridley ^^'

Anyone have a list of Smash 4 Ridley attacks by the way ? I'm curious to see what we could keep for a potential moveset.
Ah yes, the trophy theory. What a crapshoot that sadly was.

Aside from the translation error about Meta pointed out which I hadn't forgotten, don't really remember all of the hazard's attacks; just that some wouldn't work in a balanced playable moveset, like how he was able to hang on one of the ledges and make his tail clip through the floor and hit you, as little sense as it made.

D

Deleted member

Ah yes, the trophy theory. What a crapshoot that sadly was.

Aside from the translation error about Meta pointed out which I hadn't forgotten, don't really remember all of the hazard's attacks; just that some wouldn't work in a balanced playable moveset, like how he was able to hang on one of the ledges and make his tail clip through the floor and hit you, as little sense as it made.
"Screw your laws of physics, I'm ****in' Ridley!"

I'd say let's just keep calling it Meta Ridley so at least we have one more Prime "reference" of the very few in Smash 4.
Nah that's just silly

Black Ridley has none of Meta Ridley's qualities. Calling something by its incorrect name for the sake of "representation" of a game is bad. The less misinformation running around in the smash community the better.

(speaking of which, any source on "Black Ridley." I kind of forgot about that and wouldn't mind adding it to the OP if true for clarity's sake)

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Nah that's just silly

Black Ridley has none of Meta Ridley's qualities. Calling something by its incorrect name for the sake of "representation" of a game is bad. The less misinformation running around in the smash community the better.

(speaking of which, any source on "Black Ridley." I kind of forgot about that and wouldn't mind adding it to the OP if true for clarity's sake)
Haha, it was mostly as a "in my heart he will always be Meta Ridley" kinda joke, honestly Black Ridley doesn't make much sense neither imo, but same goes to OM Ridley going from little Birdie to pterodactyl-dragon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah that's just silly

Unfortunately, Nintendo seems to have taken down the Japanese 50 Facts Extravaganza. But that's where the name is from.
Specifically "Kuro(i) Ridley".

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
黒リドリー (Kuro ridorī) = Black Ridley

メタリドリー (Meta ridorī) = Meta Ridley

It's meant to be the former, but Nintendo of America messed up with the localisation and named it the latter.

D

Deleted member

黒リドリー (Kuro ridorī) = Black Ridley

メタリドリー (Meta ridorī) = Meta Ridley

It's meant to be the former, but Nintendo of America messed up with the localisation and named it the latter.
My guess is that an assumption was made based on Metal Face's localization, since he's "Black Face" in Japan.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Can't say speculation started without a Ridley thread.
Now the question is do I want more nutty theories, art and violent threads?

Oh god yes
Plz no, I'll take the art though. How can a thread even be violent anyway? Is it because it's Ridley were talking about? He's pretty violent and murdery.

Plz no, I'll take the art though. How can a thread even be violent anyway? Is it because it's Ridley were talking about? He's pretty violent and murdery.
Old Ridley thread literally had art of Little Birdie tearing other characters to shreds

Add to the arguments, yeah I would say we were pretty violent. . .

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Old Ridley thread literally had art of Little Birdie tearing other characters to shreds

Add to the arguments, yeah I would say we were pretty violent. . .
I both want and don't want to see that art now...
Either way I was just kind of nitpicking since "violent" doesn't really work in this context. Sorry 'bout that.

Back to Ridley though, regardless of which version they use, they'd probably pull from multiple incarnations for his moveset. A common Down Special I see brought up is Black Ridley to give him armor, which I've always liked, but I wanted to ask what else he could possibly have. I'm still at the start of Prime, and the only other Metroid I've touched is II and Other M

Aside from his Plasma Breath, I'm really aware if he has much else, though I could see him using the Plasma Breath for multiple moves, but in different forms.

So his small fireballs from the early games for example, or a proper jet of flame like the modern titles.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I forgot that art about Little Birdie eating others was a thing... Saw it as kinda harmless dark humor though, as it's something he would do.

You'll be in for somewhat a surprise at the moves he does when you get further in Prime then ^, unless you youtube the fight or something.

Regardless of the translation error and that it wasn't said properly in that one direct, I'm glad "Black Ridley" became a thing, since the darker form he sometimes changed to in Other M for defensive purposes didn't have any actual name beforehand, so it's easier to refer to now.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I both want and don't want to see that art now...
Either way I was just kind of nitpicking since "violent" doesn't really work in this context. Sorry 'bout that.

Back to Ridley though, regardless of which version they use, they'd probably pull from multiple incarnations for his moveset. A common Down Special I see brought up is Black Ridley to give him armor, which I've always liked, but I wanted to ask what else he could possibly have. I'm still at the start of Prime, and the only other Metroid I've touched is II and Other M

Aside from his Plasma Breath, I'm really aware if he has much else, though I could see him using the Plasma Breath for multiple moves, but in different forms.

So his small fireballs from the early games for example, or a proper jet of flame like the modern titles.
Well his most common attacks are :
-His plasma breath with many different use between games be it simple fireballs, homming fireballs, giant fireballs creating shockwawes, firebreath and other lasers,

-Tail attacks, be it swipes, grinding on the floor or his good old pogostick style,

-Claw attacks, not much to add to this one,

-Grabs, if Ridley then crush you in mid air, impale you with his tail on the floor or grind you on the wall is up to the game.

Every now and then however with new Ridley variations comes new moves :
-Missiles in Zero Mission, Nintendoland (Robot Ridley) Metroid Prime/Pinball (Meta Ridley) and Metroid Prime 3 (Omega Ridley),

-Shield reflecting Samus attacks in Other M (Ridley),

-Ice Breath in Nintendoland (Robot Ice Ridley),

-Sumoning enemies with hs roars in Other M (Little Birdie),

-Some kind of rotating Electrical barrier in Metroid Prime 3 (Omega Ridley).

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Well his most common attacks are :
-His plasma breath with many different use between games be it simple fireballs, homming fireballs, giant fireballs creating shockwawes, firebreath and other lasers,

-Tail attacks, be it swipes, grinding on the floor or his good old pogostick style,

-Claw attacks, not much to add to this one,

-Grabs, if Ridley then crush you in mid air, impale you with his tail on the floor or grind you on the wall is up to the game.

Every now and then however with new Ridley variations comes new moves :
-Missiles in Zero Mission, Nintendoland (Robot Ridley) Metroid Prime/Pinball (Meta Ridley) and Metroid Prime 3 (Omega Ridley),

-Shield reflecting Samus attacks in Other M (Ridley),

-Ice Breath in Nintendoland (Robot Ice Ridley),

-Sumoning enemies with hs roars in Other M (Mystery Creature),

-Some kind of rotating Electrical barrier in Metroid Prime 3 (Omega Ridley).
Yeah, most of these like the physical stuff and anything from Other M I already knew, I was more focused on Special Moves.

It'd be neat for him to have Ice Breath, but I doubt they'd pull from Nintendoland. I had forgotten about the summoning though, but I honestly don't think it'd fit him very well for a move in Smash.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not many of Omega Ridley's attacks looked or seemed like they were particularly Phazon-based, so would be cool if some like the electrical field returned in any game, though I suspect ones like those were a one time thing.

There was also the eye laser the robot in Zero Mission had.

Top Bottom