• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, my memory's not perfect, but calling it selective, especially when bringing up those characters, is kind of ridiculous seeing I would have loved nothing more for all of them to be top choices even back then.

I know Ridley was popular (not sure top 10, and definitely not 5) back then, but I distinctly remember all those characters becoming really popular towards the waning moments of Brawl's release, and after. But pre-reveal? Not so much.

Edit: I replied to your comment without reading the whole thing originally. The Pokemon part makes me realize that we're talking about different times. I'm talking speculation around 04-05 when Gen 4 didn't come out yet. I only bring it up, because you mention Lucario and Deoxys' popularity, when at the point of the 'Smash 3' poll I was remembering they didn't even exist yet.
Lol, well it is kind of selective given you're selecting one era of pre-Brawl, but yeah, I totally see your point.

And I'm mostly talking about post Brawl trailer, as I didn't really start following the scene in much depth until then (and obviously some of the characters I listed like Lucario, Midna, and the Mother 3 cast wouldn't find popularity til later in the pre-Brawl era), so, granted, I can't speak super definitively about the same time period you are. You may be right about that stuff, though I've also heard some opposing claims from people with fairly good track records.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter. In terms of Smash speculation, this is all virtually ancient history. xD

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Lol, well it is kind of selective given you're selecting one era of pre-Brawl, but yeah, I totally see your point.

And I'm mostly talking about post Brawl trailer, as I didn't really start following the scene in much depth until then (and obviously some of the characters I listed like Lucario, Midna, and the Mother 3 cast wouldn't find popularity til later in the pre-Brawl era), so, granted, I can't speak super definitively about the same time period you are. You may be right about that stuff, though I've also heard some opposing claims from people with fairly good track records.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter. In terms of Smash speculation, this is all virtually ancient history. xD
True enough. I honestly want to find it, but it's ****ing impossible. I think it was called Smash 3 poll (which gives absolutely garbage/irrelevant results), or Smash Wii/Revolution poll (couldn't find anything from here pre-reveal), but I couldn't find it for the life of me.

Looking through the SB's Brawl archives is useless too, because it only goes back to 2007, so I'm assuming it's gotta be somewhere in the 200+ pages of Melee ****/gone forever/on a different website altogether.

Regardless, I don't know why I care so much, even if I'm right the results would only yield a concentrated group of opinions. Even if MK was the top choice in that poll, Wario/DDD/whomever could've been everywhere else.

Still, I'd like to see it. On a semi-related note I'm surprised SourceGaming doesn't seem to have anything on post-Melee/pre-Brawl (for now on I'm going to refer to it as the "Smash 3 era") polls.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Possible Ridley alternative colour palettes:

Ridley (Default)

First Appearance:
Super Metroid [SNES, 1994] (Purple wing membranes, in-game sprite)
Super Smash Bros. Melee [Gamecube, 2001] (Orange wing membranes, opening cut-scene / trophy)

Latest Appearance:
Miitomo [iOS / Android, 2016] (Mii attachable item)

Also appeared in:
Super Smash Bros. 64 [N64, 1999] (Stage background cameo, Planet Zebes)

Ridley (Alt 1 / Red Team)

First Appearance:
Super Metroid [SNES, 1994] (Box Art)

Latest Appearance:

Also appeared in:
Wario Ware Smooth Moves [Wii, 2006] (Super Nostalgic Entertainment System, cartridge art cameo via mini-game)

Ridley-X / Neo Ridley* (Alt 2 / Blue Team)

First Appearance:
Metroid Fusion [GBA, 2002] (In-game sprite)

Latest Appearance:
None.

*An X-Parasite that has copied the DNA of the Clone Ridley's dead corpse and is mimicking him.

Ridley (Alt 3 / Green Team)

First Appearance:
Metroid Zero Mission [GBA, 2004] (Art work)

Latest Appearance:

Ridley Statue (Alt 4 / Yellow Team)

First Appearance:
Super Metroid [SNES, 1994] (In-game sprite)

Latest Appearance:
None.

Ridley (Alt 5 / Extra 1)

First Appearance:

Latest Appearance:
None.

Ridley (Alt 6 / Extra 2)

First Appearance:

Latest Appearance:
None.

Ridley (Alt 7 / Extra 3)

First Appearance:
Metroid [NES, 1986] (In-game sprite)

Latest Appearance:
Metroid (1986) [NES Classic Edition (NTSC) / Nintendo Classic Mini: NES (PAL), 2016, official re-release emulation]

Also appeared in:
Metroid Prime [Gamecube, 2002] (Via bonus Metroid (1986) game extra), Metroid Zero Mission [GBA, 2004] (Via bonus Metroid (1986) game extra), Metroid (1986) [GBA (port), Classic NES (NTSC) / NES Classics (PAL), 2004], Nintendo Land [WiiU, 2012] (Animatronic boss), NES REMIX 2 [WiiU, 2014] (Mission Challenge cameo), NES REMIX Pack [WiiU, 2014, re-release (on disc)] (Mission Challenge cameo), Ultimate NES REMIX [3DS, 2014, re-release (on cartridge)] (Mission Challenge cameo), Nintendo Badge Arcade [3DS, 2015] (Collectable badge).

(Not listing Virtual Console releases)

Original Ridley render by: Smashified team.

I have other possible alt colours, if anyone is interested.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

You did some great research with this. Nicely done! I think you pretty much nailed making references to art/sprites/etc. in the same way Sakurai's team does, it really is impressive imo. I know I wouldn't have ever thought to use stuff from Miitomo. Though I never bothered with it to begin with so I didn't even know those little Ridelys existed. They're adorable!

And I would be very interested in seeing what others you've come up with. Going down your list, I'm going to guess you have a white one based on Ridley's infant form, and a darker purple also based on Other M. Maybe a dark gray based on Meta Ridley. Aside from that I can't think of other possible palettes without referencing other characters/creatures.

Also, what did you use to make the mock-ups if you don't mind me asking? They look really good.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
You did some great research with this. Nicely done! I think you pretty much nailed making references to art/sprites/etc. in the same way Sakurai's team does, it really is impressive imo. I know I wouldn't have ever thought to use stuff from Miitomo. Though I never bothered with it to begin with so I didn't even know those little Ridelys existed. They're adorable!

And I would be very interested in seeing what others you've come up with. Going down your list, I'm going to guess you have a white one based on Ridley's infant form, and a darker purple also based on Other M. Maybe a dark gray based on Meta Ridley. Aside from that I can't think of other possible palettes without referencing other characters/creatures.

Also, what did you use to make the mock-ups if you don't mind me asking? They look really good.
The Ridley pets are pretty small, and you can have your Mii character wear them like a scarf or accessory. In the very same game, they also had Kirby and Waddle Dee, and Ridley was basically twice their size.

There are other alt colours that I've done that also reference other Ridley colours, as well as referencing other characters (such as Fire Brand). There's a Meta Ridley colour alt, and even a Fake Ridley alt (Fake Ridley was an unused enemy for Metroid, similar in concept to Fake Kraid, found in the game's code).

The original render was created by the Smashified team. I just changed the colours and put these images together, via Photoshop. I was going to try and adjust the render into Meta Ridley (in the same way that someone made alts for Smashified K.Rool), but I'm not able to do it. I'd hoped that someone else could do it, but looks like no one wants to.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Looking at that Miitomo item, I've gotta say...

I think Ridley is too small yew guise.

D

Deleted member

There's a Meta Ridley colour alt, and even a Fake Ridley alt (Fake Ridley was an unused enemy for Metroid, similar in concept to Fake Kraid, found in the game's code).
I know you have me blocked, but I figured I'd ask anyway; aren't the Fake Ridley colors basically the same as the purple w/ orange colors if not just with a different shade?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
Ridley literally has the worst chance ever of getting into Smash after Smash 4. Brawl was his best chance. He didn't get in. And he honestly still had a decent chance to get into this game, and even AFTER his shadow was shown in the direct under the "stage boss"section of that April Smash direct, people were STILL IN DENIAL. It was unbelievable. And with Sak's recent statements on how Ridley literally is too big, something so many people denied and championed against, the fact of the matter is clear: Ridley's chances are as low as ever.

Please, prove me wrong.
I only stated FACTS.

D

Deleted member

Certainly the fact that Ridely's chances are rather low at this point was a thought that had never occurred to anyone here until you said something just now.
I mean, it couldn't possibly be that his fans simply wish to have a place to discuss and support him regardless of his odds or anything of the sort. No, this is a cult of ignorant fools who believe Ridley is going to be revealed for a new Smash title any second now.
They need to be harshly educated on this matter by a wise sage who is willing to provide them the facts they desperately need from the bottom of his kind heart. You sir, deserve a medal for your valiant effort to enrich these heathens' minds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley literally has the worst chance ever of getting into Smash after Smash 4. Brawl was his best chance. He didn't get in. And he honestly still had a decent chance to get into this game, and even AFTER his shadow was shown in the direct under the "stage boss"section of that April Smash direct, people were STILL IN DENIAL. It was unbelievable. And with Sak's recent statements on how Ridley literally is too big, something so many people denied and championed against, the fact of the matter is clear: Ridley's chances are as low as ever.

Please, prove me wrong.
I only stated FACTS.
I have another fact.

You're being kind of rude fam.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Ridley (Default)

First Appearance:
Super Metroid [SNES, 1994] (Purple wing membranes, in-game sprite)
Super Smash Bros. Melee [Gamecube, 2001] (Orange wing membranes, opening cut-scene / trophy)

Latest Appearance:

Also appeared in:
Super Smash Bros. 64 [N64, 1999] (Stage background cameo, Planet Zebes)

Ridley (Alt 1 / Red Team)

First Appearance:
Super Metroid [SNES, 1994] (Box Art)

Latest Appearance:

Also appeared in:
Wario Ware Smooth Moves [Wii, 2006] (Super Nostalgic Entertainment System, cartridge art cameo via mini-game)

Ridley-X / Neo Ridley* (Alt 2 / Blue Team)

First Appearance:
Metroid Fusion [GBA, 2002] (In-game sprite)

Latest Appearance:
None.

*An X-Parasite that has copied the DNA of the Clone Ridley's dead corpse and is mimicking him.

Ridley (Alt 3 / Green Team)

First Appearance:
Metroid Zero Mission [GBA, 2004] (Art work)

Latest Appearance:

Ridley Statue (Alt 4 / Yellow Team)

First Appearance:
Super Metroid [SNES, 1994] (In-game sprite)

Latest Appearance:
None.

Ridley (Alt 5 / Extra 1)

First Appearance:

Latest Appearance:
None.

Ridley (Alt 6 / Extra 2)

First Appearance:

Latest Appearance:
None.

Ridley (Alt 7 / Extra 3)

First Appearance:
Metroid [NES, 1986] (In-game sprite)

Latest Appearance:
Metroid (1986) [NES Classic Edition (NTSC) / Nintendo Classic Mini: NES (PAL), 2016, official re-release emulation]

Also appeared in:
Metroid Prime [Gamecube, 2002] (Via bonus Metroid (1986) game extra), Metroid Zero Mission [GBA, 2004] (Via bonus Metroid (1986) game extra), Metroid (1986) [GBA (port), Classic NES (NTSC) / NES Classics (PAL), 2004], Nintendo Land [WiiU, 2012] (Animatronic boss), NES REMIX 2 [WiiU, 2014] (Mission Challenge cameo), NES REMIX Pack [WiiU, 2014, re-release (on disc)] (Mission Challenge cameo), Ultimate NES REMIX [3DS, 2014, re-release (on cartridge)] (Mission Challenge cameo), Nintendo Badge Arcade [3DS, 2015] (Collectable badge).

(Not listing Virtual Console releases)

Original Ridley render by: Smashified team.

This is too good, I ****in love concept alt costumes I wish more people did this.

ZeldaMaster ZeldaMaster saying he's too big isn't a fact, it's also taking liberties with Sakurai's own words. Yes, Sakurai thinks shrinking him down wouldn't do the character justice which is why he isn't in, but that doesn't equate to it can't be done. A lot people hold out hope for it to happen regardless of Sakurai's opinion, it's called being a fan, so there's no need to **** on people for it, we all just want a cool ass character to be in Smash.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Guys, don't feed the troll.

Ridley's not playable because of Sakurai being picky, not anything else.

Remember that Cloud Strife (Mr. PlayStation RPG) and Bayonetta were seen as unlikely, yet they're in.

Things can change.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Remember that Cloud Strife (Mr. PlayStation RPG) and Bayonetta were seen as unlikely, yet they're in.

Things can change.
Like how he said Pac-Man and Villager weren't suited for Smash also. Things do change.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay guys. I want Ridley as much as the next guy but let's not get too hasty here.

Pac-Man, Miis and Villager all got a second chance, yes. That doesn't mean Ridley automatically gets one as well.

We have to remember, those three got rejected once. Ridley has been rejected twice and the reasoning for the decision has held stayed the same both times. Sakurai has stayed firm on the matter and I don't see him changing any time soon.

If Ridley is going to be included it'll be due to one of three things.

1. Sakurai leaves and the next director decides to include Ridley. This is a crap shoot though. New director could feel the same.
  2. Smash gets a serious reboot to include characters of a much larger size scale. This probably won't happen.
  3. Ridley gets a new design in the Metroid franchise that is more suitable to Smash.
If any of those happen, I'd bet on 3, but I don't see that happening.

That said, I'm not saying this to discourage you guys. I just want to keep things in check. We're all here cause we have a passion for Ridley and think him being in Smash is cool. We don't need to defend our character choice like we have anything to lose here guys. This should be a fun place to hypothesize and discuss ideas and if Ridley does make it in, we celebrate.

tl.dr

Ridley probably won't make it in, but that's okay because we can still have fun.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People still seem to be rather touchy when it comes to Ridley.

I agree with much of what ZeldaMaster said. Ridley's chances now do seem worse than with Brawl and Smash 4. I think Smash 4 was his best chance to get in, not Brawl, but I can agree it's already passed. People did still cling to hope pretty violently after the shadow was seen. Many arguments posited in that time period were illogical. And then Sakurai did come out and give voice to the opinion so many people had spent a good deal of energy into decrying. And clearly people still are trying to twist what he said by virtue of the fact that it wasn't literally "Ridley is too big", though it was, in reality, nearly tantamount to that. And with those statements, and with over a decade of Sakurai being cognizant of Ridley's demand yet standing by his opinion, and with Ridley's now declining popularity, I'm in agreement, his chances are as low as they've been since the birth of the series.

And while it's true that Sakurai can change his opinion, I find it a rather flimsy excuse as to provide any real hope of Ridley in the future.

Did any of it need to be said? Not really, it's nothing new. Is it a problem that it was said? No... this is the Ridley thread. It's for discussing Ridley, both for and against. People state positive things about Ridley over and over and over. And that's fine. ZeldaMaster was provocative and brash (no bear jokes)... but that's about the extent of things. If part of the intent was to rile you guys up it certainly worked. And he's not going to endear himself to anyone, clearly, but neither is speaking negatively about a character in their support thread in the first place, unless you mince the hell out of your words. Sometimes it's fun to swing for the fences. :p

Things can change.
Given the number of characters thought of as unlikely that get in versus those that don't, that's really more of a point against Ridley if you think about it.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Okay guys. I want Ridley as much as the next guy but let's not get too hasty here.

Pac-Man, Miis and Villager all got a second chance, yes. That doesn't mean Ridley automatically gets one as well.

We have to remember, those three got rejected once. Ridley has been rejected twice and the reasoning for the decision has held stayed the same both times. Sakurai has stayed firm on the matter and I don't see him changing any time soon.

1. Sakurai leaves and the next director decides to include Ridley. This is a crap shoot though. New director could feel the same.
  2. Smash gets a serious reboot to include characters of a much larger size scale. This probably won't happen.
  3. Ridley gets a new design in the Metroid franchise that is more suitable to Smash.

That said, I'm not saying this to discourage you guys. I just want to keep things in check. We're all here cause we have a passion for Ridley and think him being in Smash is cool. We don't need to defend our character choice like we have anything to lose here guys. This should be a fun place to hypothesize and discuss ideas and if Ridley does make it in, we celebrate.

tl.dr

Ridley probably won't make it in, but that's okay because we can still have fun.
I wasn't saying Ridley making it is a guarantee now, I was saying there are literally examples of Sakurai not immediately seeing a character working in Smash, and later changing his mind.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I know you have me blocked, but I figured I'd ask anyway; aren't the Fake Ridley colors basically the same as the purple w/ orange colors if not just with a different shade?
Kind of, yeah.

Seems more of a magenta / brighter pink with golden yellow wing membranes, if anything.

Here's what it would probably look like:

The sprite itself uses inverted colours for the skin/scales. What I mean is that the Fake Ridley basically uses the original Ridley sprite's highlight colour as the main skin colour, and the main skin colour in place of the highlighted areas. Looks pretty weird.

tl.dr

I dunno man, I'm not certain that the first rejection was for the same reason as the second one (not saying it's impossible though). All that Sakurai mentioned in an interview (post-Brawl), was that he'd have to make Ridley slower if he were to become a fighter. This was at the time before the Other M design was even developed.

Regarding the options, yeah the first option could really go both ways. On the one hand, you could get a new director that's more open minded, and wants to fulfil fan requests like Ridley and the like. On the other hand, the new director might be just as bad, or probably just doesn't really care about Metroid, "reps", or who is "most wanted", and just add characters that they want (and we'd probably be still left with just Samus). Well... there's another point: Nintendo might request for certain characters to be included; from the ballot, for advertising purposes, and of their own choosing.

With the second option, a reboot is possible, but depending on the max size of characters used, it could be a problem in using retro stages. Depending on the max size limit (for a fighter), the largest characters could have problems fitting in maps like Hyrule Castle and The Great Cave Offensive. Well... they could in theory adjust those stages but that might bring more work and additional problems. Characters of larger sizes can still be included, of course, but they'd need to be scaled down to a reasonable size and not look ridiculous in the process. With Ridley, Bagan's mod is a good example of scaling the character down to a reasonable size, but some people might not like or agree with the result (and it won't necessarily work for other much larger characters).

I'm not sure if the third option would happen. If anything, I could see Nintendo going back to using the more iconic, classic design - Miitomo did this recently, and Yoshio Sakamoto (Metroid's co-creator) was involved in the development in the app, and probably got involved with Metroid content. Whoever is in charge of Smash 6 would need to create a more "Smash friendly" design, but it would also include some iconic features. Pit was redesigned specifically for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and the design was then used for Kid Icarus Uprising in the following years. The overall size of Ridley isn't the issue, it's more so his wing span and tail proportions that could cause problems (if we're going by his Other M design). His Brawl design seemed much more suitable for a fighter role in Super Smash Bros., so perhaps they could base the design on that, and adjust it accordingly. Obviously we don't want Ridley to have tiny wings and tail, but we also don't want them filling the screen.

Though I agree with you mostly.

D

Deleted member

Kind of, yeah.

Seems more of a magenta / brighter pink with golden yellow wing membranes, if anything.

Here's what it would probably look like:

The sprite itself uses inverted colours for the skin/scales. What I mean is that the Fake Ridley basically uses the original Ridley sprite's highlight colour as the main skin colour, and the main skin colour in place of the highlighted areas. Looks pretty weird.
To quote SpongeBob, he's BIG, SCARY, and PINK! :laugh:

tl.dr

Im just going to throw this in the OP as a nice reminder.

it's a good post

D

Deleted member

Ok, no lie, if Ridley does make it in with a pink alt, I gotta use it.
Pinkley, the terror of the universe. (And everyone thought purple was scary.)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ok, no lie, if Ridley does make it in with a pink alt, I gotta use it.
Pinkley, the terror of the universe. (And everyone thought purple was scary.)
We already have someone purple and just as scary as Ridley.

His name is Barney the Dinosaur. :troll:

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
"I love you*.

You hate me.

I'm gonna kill your family.

Crush their bones, and fill a part of me.

You better scream, cause I'm Ridley."

*love to eat you that is.

:troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"I love you*.

You hate me.

I'm gonna kill your family.

Crush their bones, and fill a part of me.

You better scream, cause I'm Ridley."

*love to eat you that is.

:troll:
Ridley was a dinosaur* from our imagination.....
And when he comes, you better run
'Cuz it's your assassination!

*Dragon, dinosaur, same difference. :V He's been compared to a pterodactyl-like creature in the past.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
**** it, I'm gonna make a moveset for our big friend!
First of all, the gimmick! Ridley has a 'flight meter' on the bottom of his portrait which you can see, entering Flight Mode, it decreases but when on the ground, it slowly charges up. For balance purposes, Ridley's a mid weight, have you seen how scrawny he is?
Jabs: slashes with a claw, then with the other and finally both
Ftilt: Sweeps his big tail. although slow, it's strong and has impressive reach
Utilt: Ridley snaps his jaws straight upwards
Dtilt: Ridley swipes his claws at the ground
Dash Attack: Lunges at the enemy in a similar manner to DK's rolling dash attack
Usmash: Ridley's mouth bursts into flames and he bites upwards, anyone caught in his jaws then gets burned and launched
Fsmash: Flicks his tail sideways to jab the opponent, good reach and has a tipper
Dsmash: Leaps and swings his tail like in his Meta Ridley boss fight in Prime
Nair: Ridley extends his wings to attack horizontally
Fair: Ridley slashes with his claws
Bair: Ridley quickly bites behind him
Dair: Ridley jabs his tail right under him, although it has great range, it's laggy and doesn't spike
Grab: Ridley grabs the enemy with his foot
Pummel: Ridley squeezes his foot
Fthrow: Ridley spits a fireball which explodes in the foe's face, knocking them back
Bthrow: Ridley nonchalantly tosses the foe behind him and jabs with his tail for good measure, the throw has fixed knockback
Uthrow: Ridley latches on to the foe, flies upwards and flings them upwards
Dthrow: Ridley stomps his foe into the ground before jabbing with his tail and kicking the foe away
B: Charges a fireball and fires it. Holding the B button keeps the fireball in Ridley's mouth allowing him to readjust his aim by shifting up or down
Side B: Ridley rushes towards an enemy and grabs them, if on a stage, he drags them along the ground, if used in the air, he tosses them away in a slight downwards angle
Up B: Flight mode. Ridley uses his flight meter to fly around freely until the meter either runs out or Ridley interacts with the ground or a ledge or after a grab. While flying, Ridley can use his aerial moves to harass his enemies and also has an air grab, but after throwing someone he shifts momentum towards the direction he flew, but goes in a helpless state. When hit, Ridley reacts as he usually would, but takes extra damage. Flight Mode also makes him lighter and thus more vulnerable to meteor smashes/spikes
Down B: Armour, Ridley's skin hardens which gives him super armour during attacks, a Franklin Badge effect and a slight strength boost, but is drastically slowed down and weighed down to the point he can barely ascend during jumps of flight while needing to use more meter to fly. Pressing Down B again sheds the skin which bursts from Ridley's body in every direction
Final Smash: Omega Ridley, Ridley's body bursts into blue flames caused by Phazon while he screeches and turns into Omega Ridley. He's much larger in this state and functions similarly to Giga Bowser
Taunt 1: Smugly grins before flying in place and screeching loudly loudly
Taunt 2: Examines claws before grinning while having glowing eyes
Taunt 3: Grabs a capsule with the baby Metroid, sneers at it, then puts it away

I'd like some feedback on this

Im of the opinion if Ridley is going to be a character with a lot of reach and damage he should probably be a bit heavyweight.
Dash Attack: Lunges at the enemy in a similar manner to DK's rolling dash attack
Having trouble imagining this one
Nair: Ridley extends his wings to attack horizontally
so would the hit box basically be

<------>
?
Or am I incorrectly imagining this one too?

Bthrow:the throw has fixed knockback
I presume this is just the actual throwing before the tail attack

Armor mode sounds like it could be its own gimmick, so having that and a gimmicky recovery is a bit much IMO

Moveset seems to flow together otherwise. Is good

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Im of the opinion if Ridley is going to be a character with a lot of reach and damage he should probably be a bit heavyweight.

Having trouble imagining this one

so would the hit box basically be

<------>
?
Or am I incorrectly imagining this one too?

I presume this is just the actual throwing before the tail attack

Armor mode sounds like it could be its own gimmick, so having that and a gimmicky recovery is a bit much IMO

Moveset seems to flow together otherwise. Is good
Fair enough, but I've always preferred a more scrawny looking Ridley (which again would justify surprisingly low weight )and with average damage output. I decided to make the fear factor for Ridley's attacks not necessarily out of hlw strong the air, but with some surprisingly brutal animations
Remember his tackle in the Prime games? That but short range. I used the DK comparison as an idea for the momentum

Yeah, pretty much.

The actual throw before the tail stab, yeah, I guess you could compare it to Fox or Falco's but with the tail instead of a laser

Ridley's a big boy and big boys can get more toys :D

Thanks!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The next Metroid game should have Samus collect parts for a Ridley suit. Then in Smash we can get Ridley-Suit Samus.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

tl.dr

4. Ridely gets a Smash model like Pit got in Brawl.

Still in the boat he can work if they bother enough. Tho if they even have spend the equivalent of 3 characters worth of time on Ridley alone it may not be worth it.
Depends...tho it shouldn't take that many resources. I was exagerating. Lets hope.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I imagine Ridley would play like a Smash Adapted Gargos but with portals and minion stuff replaced by tail and fireball attacks.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
The next Metroid game should have Samus collect parts for a Ridley suit. Then in Smash we can get Ridley-Suit Samus.
NOPE.jpg

XD Sounds too similar to something you would do in Monster Hunter, and I don't think Rids would like to become part of Samus' wardrobe.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Loved looking at the color palette swaps, and I agree with the slight body modifications (aka a Smash version) of Ridley since the whole size argument is only for interpretation. Sakurai is a stubborn man in general, but I still support the idea of his inclusion (and if he was included, it may be interpreted as a peace treaty to the supporters of AM2R). His PM version fighter (despite being unofficial) was cool but needs to be slightly dubbed down like the ideas that the others already mentioned (instead of a full body proportion decrease).

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
and if he was included, it may be interpreted as a peace treaty to the supporters of AM2R
I don't really get this part, if anything Ridley getting in would just be a "peace treaty" for Metroid fans in general.
If Nintendo decided to either let AM2R be officially worked on again, flat out buy it from the guy who made it to sell it as an official Metroid game, or hire the AM2R dev for future Metroid games then I'd consider that a peace treaty for AM2R.

Ridley himself couldn't give two ****s about what PETA's standards, so why should they care what happens to *him*?
I wouldn't be surprised if they would care, from my perspective it feels like they'd sooner defend the life of say Godzilla than the entire country of Japan he'd be destroying.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ridley is a rebel. He makes what he wants and eats whoever he wants.

A true pirate other than that carefree rubber reject. :troll:

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I don't really get this part, if anything Ridley getting in would just be a "peace treaty" for Metroid fans in general.
If Nintendo decided to either let AM2R be officially worked on again, flat out buy it from the guy who made it to sell it as an official Metroid game, or hire the AM2R dev for future Metroid games then I'd consider that a peace treaty for AM2R.
Yeah, that's a better way of putting it. I just considered the events surrounding AM2R's release to affect much of the Metroid fanbase as a whole, especially that it was blown out of proportion.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Yeah, that's a better way of putting it. I just considered the events surrounding AM2R's release to affect much of the Metroid fanbase as a whole, especially that it was blown out of proportion.
One of the things I've noticed that at least our group has a bit of a problem with is conflating an entire group with a bit of a smaller opinion. Granted AM2R is a bit of a bad example given that it was a widely liked fan-game among the Metroid community but overall I've seen a couple times when we took the opinion of a few and considered it to be the de-fact-o "this is what that group of people thinks". For example there was a time that I remember in this group where someone talked about figuring out how popular Metroid really is in Japan just to be sure, and when we somehow managed to ask one Japanese guy he said something like "Yeah he's popular here", and to an extent, we bought it even when in reality that was just one guy and that guy could have either lied or just happened to know some of the few Metroid fans in Japan.

Point of the story is, careful when you talk about such a nebulous group of people, since just because there is something related to that group that would make sense in your mind for almost everyone in that group to believe in, doesn't make it true. You could fool others and yourself with that and in the case of some members of this group (me included actually), you could let yourself down really badly when you off those false premises.

Top Bottom