• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sound of the Sword

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Just my random opinion of the sword swing and sword impact sounds of our various Brawl swordsmen (that title makes this topic sound even a little cooler than it really is, doesn't it? =P). As in Melee and the original, the sound effects in Brawl sound excellent, and they really went out of their way to make Brawl sound fresh and cool.

To the fans of the characters addressed below, particularly Marth, just keep in mind that I'm not attacking your precious mains. I like all the swordsmen, and this topic has only to do with the sounds their blades make when they travel through the air, and hit a target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxcLfSRV77o&feature=related

^ Marth's sword swing SFX sound like he's swinging a hollow, blunt object, yet his impact SFX sound correct for his weapon, and thus completely different; in the end he sounds kinda like he's swinging a flute with a knife tied to one end. He just sounds silly now, especially during his Dancing Blade.

It's a real shame, because his sounds in Melee were flawless, except for the "boom" with his most powerful attacks.

There's also a weird...what should I say..."pop" to his sword swing SFX; you could almost say the Falchion is smacking the air. I dunno; IMO they really screwed up Marth's sound effects.

Ike's sword swing SFX sound realistic for a broad-bladed, slowly moving weapon, but his impact clips sound like he's hitting foes with the flat of Ragnell, not the blade. Of course, when you consider the power Ike puts into his swings, which part of the sword they get hit with probably doesn't matter. Don't get me wrong, Ragnell doesn't sound bad--it's just a bit odd to hear what's clearly a blunt strike yet see what's clearly a sharp strike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkhs6k7D31A

^ Metaknight's sword swings, while exaggerated, at least sound like a blade whistling through the air, and the abrupt, harsh nature of Galaxia's SFX really help to sell the idea of Metaknight making numerous small, deadly cuts in the blink of an eye. The impact sounds are perfect as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otokbLXot3s

^ Now THAT is what a sword should sound like; they nailed it with Link. Subtle and realistic; it's just perfect. Anything audio that has to do with LoZ has always been great; could one really expect any less?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqNC73344pw

^ Pit's daggers do not sound realistic, but it's by no means a big deal. They sound like blades, but not normal blades; the pitch is heightened and there's a laser-like whooshing sound overlapped with the blade sound. And you know what? They sound great. There's a really energetic feel to his attacks--combine that with his speed and shouts and you've got yourself a treat for the ears. Since he's an angel, one can just say his blades are made of or imbued with holy magic and leave it at that (isn't the bow a gift from Palutena?). His impact sounds are just as impressively unique, and they did a good job on both accounts.

Strorauk

Smash Rookie
You obviously put a lot of analysis into this, so I feel bad about saying this:

YouTube's sound compression blows.

Pay hyper-careful-attention to a Melee video on YouTube: you will hear that the sounds don't really sound like the real game.

So don't be too judgemental from these sources! If a noise comes across as "hollow" or "sharp", that's probably because it is.

Falco_Phoenix

Smash Cadet
These puns are SLICING me up. No seriously, this has to stop.

But, anyway, I'm actually glad to hear about this. I'm a big fan of anything sword related and this is some interesting stuff.

Lunaretic

Smash Apprentice
The reason behind the odd sword SFX for Ike and Marth is probably to try and take off any super-deadly blood-drawing ideas off of them. For example, daggers were banned as smash weapons for being too violent(see Sakurai's comments about the Sothe AT, among other things). So the Blunt-blade effects for Ike and the whistle-effects for Marth are probably designed to make the weapons feel a bit more comic than serious, where as with Metaknight, Pit, and Link, their weapons are more fantastical and comic already, so they don't need any significant comic sound effect tweaking.

MewDorf

Smash Cadet
Santa Barbara, CA but currently Azusa, CA
If you think about it, you don't want to accurate of sound effects for weapons, because it takes away from this being an all character type melee. If you have the comic sounds like Lunaretic mentiond. Its easier to enjoy the game as it was meant ot be created.

Meta_King

Smash Rookie
Interesting post. While I agree Ike's hits don't sound as realistic, I LOVE the sound it makes.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I agree with your criticism of Marth's blade sound. It seriously sounds like a hammer on metal or something. Actually no, you know what it sounds like? It sounds like the noise Metal Mario's steps make in SSB64! I just realized that was what it made me think of. Anyways very nice thread and you have a very observant ear.

finalark

SNORLAX
:chuckle: I'm glad my stunning wit didn't go to waste...
I saw that too, just didn't know if it was intentional or not...

Anyway, now that I think about it, I really can't say what sounds the best because I've never heard the sound that a real sword makes when it's swung.

Except Katanas, and that made no sound when I swung it.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
I saw that too, just didn't know if it was intentional or not...

Anyway, now that I think about it, I really can't say what sounds the best because I've never heard the sound that a real sword makes when it's swung.

Except Katanas, and that made no sound when I swung it.
That's exactly the reason why they nailed it with Link.

Realistically, swords barely make a sound when swung (it depends on the blade's velocity, angle and position); you'll be hard-pressed to find any movie, tv show or game that doesn't enhance sword swing sounds in some way. But of course, Smash is not meant to be realistic combat at all, hence the greatly exaggerated sound effects. My opinion is given not against the context of real swords, but within the context of Smash.

In the case of Link, who is to an extent a very realistic hero and certainly the most realistic of the 5 swordsmen, the Master Sword sounds very quiet in Brawl, just like a real sword. Simple soft wooshes, no special touches whatsoever.

Edit: While it's obvious that the most realistic sounding sword is the Master Sword, I have to say my favourite blade sound is the Daggers of Palutena, with Galaxia as a very close second. They just sound so incredible and full of energy; they make me feel really excited to play as Pit.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I like the sound of Marth's and Metaknight's blades. When swords sound less realistic they're more evocative, and a lot more fun to flail around. %D

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
My only assumption is they they tried to change up the sounds so that all the swords didn't have the same generic sword sound

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
My only assumption is they they tried to change up the sounds so that all the swords didn't have the same generic sword sound
Certainly, if all the swords sounded the same things would've been even worse. But I just don't know what they were thinking with Marth's sound. I don't care how he's changed for the better (so I've heard), I just can't take him seriously anymore. Once I get the game and start playing, I'm going to hear that "pop" sound numerous times and it's either going to drive me mad or crack me up.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Marth's Fachion sounds more like a rapier.
Ike's sword sounds like a building exploding.
No, Marth's sword does not sound like a rapier. Rapiers are one of the "noisier" swords because their small blade size doesn't do much to part the air in an effective manner, resulting in a sharp whistle when you swing it. Marth swings his rapier more than he stabs with it (which is actually a very ineffective way to wield such a weapon), so we ought to hear a sharp whistle, something like Metaknight's weapon only not so multi-layered, "cutting", and higher in pitch. We got a great sound out of the Falchion in Melee; they should've just kept it.

Top Bottom