• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The sound effects

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Now I've been thinking this for while, but what is up with the sound effects in this game? They are so whack now. Like Ragnell for example. In Brawl it sounded like a cannon from World War II, now it sounds like firecrackers. And Dedede's hammer. When I hit smash Attack, I wanna hear that pounding sound that sounds like a hammer, not like somebody clapping. Galaxia, it sounds like somebody rattling a chain, not like somebody breaking the sound barrier with a sword. And when you hit somebody in general, it just ain't nearly as satisfying as Brawl.
Y'all hear it too? I can't be the only one. Who else thinks the sounds went down the ****ter?

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Shaking screen and hitstun make the more powerful attacks plenty satisfying.

Toon Link has new swishy sounds on his sword, and they sound cute.
Ehh, Smash 4 feels... lighthearted? Brighter, and more cheerful.
Although I've never played it competitively, I've always felt like the Melee Marth's tipper sounds were extremely unfitting. It felt satisfying to space well in Brawl though because of that brief period of hitstun and the sound effect.

The sounds still sounded weird in Brawl though... no sword makes the sounds that they do when they hit in Melee or Brawl.
The electric sounds sound nice on Pika, the Dolphin/Crescent Slash (Marth/Lucina Up-B) sound nice, the swords sound swishy like they're supposed to be.
Doesn't Galaxia have the same sounds from Brawl? I'm fine with the sounds, although that might be because of my bias from Brawl.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Shaking screen and hitstun make the more powerful attacks plenty satisfying.

Toon Link has new swishy sounds on his sword, and they sound cute.
Ehh, Smash 4 feels... lighthearted? Brighter, and more cheerful.
Although I've never played it competitively, I've always felt like the Melee Marth's tipper sounds were extremely unfitting. It felt satisfying to space well in Brawl though because of that brief period of hitstun and the sound effect.

The sounds still sounded weird in Brawl though... no sword makes the sounds that they do when they hit in Melee or Brawl.
The electric sounds sound nice on Pika, the Dolphin/Crescent Slash (Marth/Lucina Up-B) sound nice, the swords sound swishy like they're supposed to be.
Doesn't Galaxia have the same sounds from Brawl? I'm fine with the sounds, although that might be because of my bias from Brawl.
No, Galaxia sounds radically different than in Brawl. Do Galaxia Darkness in Brawl then do it in 4, you'll see what I mean. Dolphin Slash is another example. That "WHOOOSH" sound in Brawl sounds way better than that "ching" in 4. Every thing just sounds (and looks) less extreme then in Brawl.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
the sound effects don't bother me too much although I have noticed that they're a little bit worse than Brawls, but what DOES get me is the lack of variety in sound effects, especiaally the groans from getting hit.

There's a few characters who are a lot more noticeable than others but fight a fox and you'll hear that same annoying yelp on repeat until the battle is over

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
the sound effects don't bother me too much although I have noticed that they're a little bit worse than Brawls, but what DOES get me is the lack of variety in sound effects, especiaally the groans from getting hit.

There's a few characters who are a lot more noticeable than others but fight a fox and you'll hear that same annoying yelp on repeat until the battle is over
Fox's voice in general is ****ty. I don't know if he sounds like a teen or an old man.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
They don't bother me. But 64 will always have the best sound effects.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
They don't bother me. But 64 will always have the best sound effects.
Nah, they sound too low-quality to me. Matter of fact, everything in 64 was low-quality. The main reason I don't go back to it is cause the graphics make me cry. Like your profile picture.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
The sound effects vary from good to okay. It does sound more lighthearted compared to Brawl but Melee's sound design was terrible at best.

Some of the new voices can be annoying sometimes. :4ness: and :4kirby:'s voice is more cutesy but less tolerable than their Brawl voice. Others may like it more than I do though. :4fox: voice is just terrible, same with :4falco:. (Just not as bad.) I wish they reused those twos' voice from Brawl.

Khao

Smash Lord
Generally, I actually think this game has the best sounds in the whole series.

Some of my absolute favorites are charging Marth/Lucina's Shield Breaker, or Link's Spin Attack. You can pretty much feel the strenght of the move quickly ascending while you charge those things.

Talking specifics, though, there's things I think some games do better than others. 64 still has by far the best crowd chants, like, no contest. And I still miss the sound of sword hits in Melee, they just have the perfect amount of "slashiness."

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Mega Man.

There's my entire argument for this game having the best sound effects.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mega Man.

There's my entire argument for this game having the best sound effects.
Damn it! My argument is invalid, Mega's sound effects are the most satisfying thing in the game. I nut a little every time I land a Hard Knuckle. And Flame Blast. OMG Flame Blast. And Charge Shot, and-**** it, they're all good.
Generally, I actually think this game has the best sounds in the whole series.

Some of my absolute favorites are charging Marth/Lucina's Shield Breaker, or Link's Spin Attack. You can pretty much feel the strenght of the move quickly ascending while you charge those things.

Talking specifics, though, there's things I think some games do better than others. 64 still has by far the best crowd chants, like, no contest. And I still miss the sound of sword hits in Melee, they just have the perfect amount of "slashiness."
Man, me and you just don't see eye to eye, do we? The crowd chants are so ****ing weak in this. And it's not like it's a 3DS problem either, the U versions is equally suck ass. I actually think Brawl has the best chants. And sound effects. And slashing sounds. You know what, everything. But Melee Fox and Falco will always "FEYEEAHH". Everything in Brawl was so unnecessarily extreme it was amazing.
The sound effects vary from good to okay. It does sound more lighthearted compared to Brawl but Melee's sound design was terrible at best.

Some of the new voices can be annoying sometimes. :4ness: and :4kirby:'s voice is more cutesy but less tolerable than their Brawl voice. Others may like it more than I do though. :4fox: voice is just terrible, same with :4falco:. (Just not as bad.) I wish they reused those twos' voice from Brawl.
Wait, Melee had sound effects? Kidding, but yeah, they were ****ing atrocious. Falco sounds either very bored or very gay. Brooklyn Falco will forever be missed.

Khao

Smash Lord
By that logic Brawl is the best game because of Ike's sound effects.
Nuh-uh, if it's not Mega Man it doesn't count, logic obviously doesn't work like that!

EDIT: (also, i meant that crowd chants in smash 64 are my favorite. the ones here are pretty bad)

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Nuh-uh, if it's not Mega Man it doesn't count, logic obviously doesn't work like that!

EDIT: (also, i meant that crowd chants in smash 64 are my favorite. the ones here are pretty bad)
Logic? What's that?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think the new sound effects are okay. We'll probably grow used to them slowly and even start to like them down the line.

Give it some time.

link-a-link

Smash Cadet
NNID
Linkaden
I cant forgive Capt. Falcon not having a falcon sound when he does falcon punch

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I think the new sound effects are okay. We'll probably grow used to them slowly and even start to like them down the line.

Give it some time.
Oh, I have. 2 months, if you wanna be fancy about it. Still don't like em. Some of em are good, some of em are great (Hard Knuckle, oh my God, yes), but most of em are horrible.
I cant forgive Capt. Falcon not having a falcon sound when he does falcon punch
Truth be told, I didn't even notice that till you pointed it out.

D

Deleted member

I feel the sound effects have definitely improved over Brawl's in my honest opinion. They are a bit more loud and satisfying.

This games sound effects ****ing suck, man.

I literally dropped Ike because he doesn't sound like he isn't whacking the living **** out of you. MK's sword sound effects sound as lame as his neutral air; like someone is shaking paper in the air or some ****.

Physical hits sounds like someone is dropping rocks on the pavement.

No sound effects will ever beat 64. That and the old school VS. Series.

Also, Falco's Laser sounds waaaaaay better in Brawl.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea

I literally dropped Ike because he doesn't sound like he isn't whacking the living **** out of you. MK's sword sound effects sound as lame as his neutral air; like someone is shaking paper in the air or some ****.

No sound effects will ever be 64. That and the old school VS. Series.
Ike has the exact same sound effects

Obvious troll.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Ike has the exact same sound effects

Obvious troll.
No they don't. Obvious idiot.

No sound effects will ever beat 64. That and the old school VS. Series.

Also, Falco's Laser sounds waaaaaay better in Brawl.
Good. So I'm not the only one. But God damn man, you dropped Ike just cause of it? Overreact much?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
You are right about the Ike and Meta Knight's sounds, also, for some reason, R.O.B.'s Taunt (when he shoots beams) sounds really soft. Zelda's sounds are weird, but not that bad.

And the music sounds soft too.

But I like the sound of the powerful attacks in Sm4sh.

Last edited:

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
I sometimes don't even notice the audience is chanting. And even when I do, it's really muffled and quiet.

NinJaSQUARE

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cecil_Harvey
3DS FC
0473-7754-9350
I really do miss Ike's old sound effects. They felt so satisfying.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I think sound effects pretty good alot better than brawl. I wish they were good as n64. The crowds were so live in that game.

D

Deleted member

Generally speaking, I don't mind the sounds. Hitting someone with G&W's forward air feels quite satisfying. Monado's sound effects also sound nice. I'm more bothered by the crowd. It's impossible to understand them.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Warning Received
Well you don't have to be an obvious rude person just because I didn't remember something correctly.
You the one that called Phoenix a troll cause your deaf ass can't distinguish two obviously different sounds. Take your own advice, you not innocent at all. Deaf and an idiot, must suck to be you.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
You the one that called Phoenix a troll cause your deaf *** can't distinguish two obviously different sounds. Take your own advice, you not innocent at all. Deaf and an idiot, must suck to be you.
OR. You could've just said "oh ok" or "oh sorry" but you decided to make things even worse by insulting me again...

Top Bottom