• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The sound effects

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I looove Pit's new voice. It just fits him perfectly, yaknow?
His old voice though... Sounds like a girl trying to sound like a guy, (actually is though,) and it was more grating then anything else. It was always so loud too. You could usually hear his voice over everything else going on, and it didn't really fit his animations that well. Pit's new voice blends in better, for a lack of a better word.
Pit being loud and annoying I think actually fits him better. Manelli does a decent job at hiding the fact that she's actually a girl. I didn't realize it till I saw it in the Sound Test. Do you know Manelli voices Kid Trunks from DBZ? Yeah, she's that good.
Sorry, I poorly worded my previous post. I meant to note of the frequency of characters grunting. For instance, unlike Smash 4, I do not recall characters in Melee making a grunt, aside from the initial hit, each time they bounced off a wall or ceiling in a stage.

^-^
It's not for every character. I don't think Mario goes "OOHA!" every time he hits a wall.
Out of all the character's in this game, I hate this one so much I refuse to use this character. It's a shame too because I know fox is good.
But that God awful voice. Makes me wish I had the Japanese copy.
He's actually not that great in this game. I think the accident he had that ****ed up his voice made him a bit weaker.
This game has the best voices for Fox and Falco since melee.
Shots...FIREd!:4fox:
Are you trying to start something? Speaking of Melee, what was up with Fox's voice in Melee? Just listen to him say "Fire!", it's so messed up.

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
The sound design is miles better than Melee, where everything had the impact of an oven mitt gently lifting a cookie sheet.
I had the exact opposite reaction to DDD's hammer. It's sounds amazingly punchy to me and makes landing hits that more satisfying.
My favorite will always be Smash 64's silly bowling pin noises, though.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I love the sound effects. I especially like Dedede's new voice compared to his old one. He sounds more like a goofy penguin guy that's also some sort of king than a fat japanese guy like in Brawl.

I hate hate HATE Fox's and Falco's voices. I also hate Sonic's latest VA in general, but ESPECIALLY In this game.

When Fox talks at all in Sm4sh my heart twinges in pain. I tried to teach my Fox Amiibo to only use the side taunt, to no avail.

Falco's voice doesn't sound that bad until you hear good ol' "Get Some" or, my personal favorite, Falco doing his best impersonation of a tv 4 am commercial announcer when saying "Personally, I prefer the air!". In Brawl, it sounded so badass and legit that it almost made everybody forget the oxymoron that is "Personally, I prefer the air." *summons landmaster*.

Sonic's va in this game is absolutely horrible as well. he wasn't so bad in Generations, but my god, he's just painful here. As corny as it sounded, I'll always prefer "You're too slow!" in a mocking voice over "Sonic speed!" in a dumb voice. Also, his final smash line is as painful as Falco's:

in Brawl - imagine any scene from Dragonball/DBZ where Goku transforms into one of his many SSJ forms. Now have Sonic's VA imitate him. That's how badass and legit it sounded.

in Sm4sh - "sUpEr SoNiC sTyLe! hey-ya!" in the dumbest voice possible with no conviction or emotion. Pathetic.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
@ Rajikaru Rajikaru ,
I'd like to mention that people said that Sonic's voice clips in SSB4 were ripped from recent games featuring Roger Craig Smith. LITERAL RIPS. They didn't even bother to have Smith phone in the quotes. Nope, just copy and pastes. This explains why it's so off even compared to Bowser who's voice clips are rips from Mario Kart 64 and DK and Diddy Kong sounding like actual animals instead of their goofy selves in the recent DKC games.

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
If they actually did that I'm going to be super disappointed, but then again that also probably isn't true, as his victory clips are pretty much brand new or at least not from any Sonic games I've played as of late.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Favorite noise in the game has got to be the realistic wooden bat sound of :4ness:'s bat.

So satisfying

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If they actually did that I'm going to be super disappointed, but then again that also probably isn't true, as his victory clips are pretty much brand new or at least not from any Sonic games I've played as of late.
Well, I don't have any credible sources, it's just people mentioning it and that someone found sound clips of Bowser and compared it to MK64 and found them really similar.

Personally, considering that during fights, Sonic's clips are often "off", but the victory quotes are fine, then there's a chance they reused the clips from past games for his fight voice clips while the victory quotes were new.

Considering characters still have their old voice actors and actresses despite them having new ones like Zero Suit Samus, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, etc., it's just weird since some get updated while others don't. There's this gap between very well-done voices like Pit and then there's Sonic...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Now that I've had the game for a while, I can safely say :4fox: and :4falco: have their worst voices in the Smash series. Falco is still passable for the most part, but Fox is just eugh.

I'm thankful that they kept Ike's Brawl voice, but I do miss the telephone pole-like swings. Ness's voice is higher, which feels a bit weird. Most of the other voices and effects I don't have a problem with.

D

Deleted member 269706

Huh, looks like Brawl got something right after all.

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
SSB4 has some great voice clips, but the guy who voiced Fox is... No. Just no. Same goes for Sonic and, to a lesser extent, Pit.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Damn, this thread is poppin
SSB4 has some great voice clips, but the guy who voiced Fox is... No. Just no. Same goes for Sonic and, to a lesser extent, Pit.
Would you believe me if I told you that's the same Fox from 64?
Huh, looks like Brawl got something right after all.
What are you talking about? Half this game was built off of Brawl. You'd be playing a completely different game if Brawl hadn't revamped **** up. Maybe one with better sound effects, but not going there.
Now that I've had the game for a while, I can safely say :4fox: and :4falco: have their worst voices in the Smash series. Falco is still passable for the most part, but Fox is just eugh.

I'm thankful that they kept Ike's Brawl voice, but I do miss the telephone pole-like swings. Ness's voice is higher, which feels a bit weird. Most of the other voices and effects I don't have a problem with.
Telephone pole?
I love the sound effects. I especially like Dedede's new voice compared to his old one. He sounds more like a goofy penguin guy that's also some sort of king than a fat japanese guy like in Brawl.

I hate hate HATE Fox's and Falco's voices. I also hate Sonic's latest VA in general, but ESPECIALLY In this game.

When Fox talks at all in Sm4sh my heart twinges in pain. I tried to teach my Fox Amiibo to only use the side taunt, to no avail.

Falco's voice doesn't sound that bad until you hear good ol' "Get Some" or, my personal favorite, Falco doing his best impersonation of a tv 4 am commercial announcer when saying "Personally, I prefer the air!". In Brawl, it sounded so badass and legit that it almost made everybody forget the oxymoron that is "Personally, I prefer the air." *summons landmaster*.

Sonic's va in this game is absolutely horrible as well. he wasn't so bad in Generations, but my god, he's just painful here. As corny as it sounded, I'll always prefer "You're too slow!" in a mocking voice over "Sonic speed!" in a dumb voice. Also, his final smash line is as painful as Falco's:

in Brawl - imagine any scene from Dragonball/DBZ where Goku transforms into one of his many SSJ forms. Now have Sonic's VA imitate him. That's how badass and legit it sounded.

in Sm4sh - "sUpEr SoNiC sTyLe! hey-ya!" in the dumbest voice possible with no conviction or emotion. Pathetic.
They're right. Sonic voice clips were jacked straight from Generations. Listen to the final boss cutscene. That's where "Super Sonic Style!" Comes from. And why is Sonic Glados?

D

Deleted member 269706

What are you talking about? Half this game was built off of Brawl. You'd be playing a completely different game if Brawl hadn't revamped **** up. Maybe one with better sound effects, but not going there.
Just making a joke cause of all the crap that Brawl gets. Thought it was more obvious :S

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Ike's voice is the same voice from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn; Jason Adkins voiced him. This is the same for Robin and Lucina... I love Laura Bailey's voice... Unfortunately, Ali Hillis isn't voicing Palutena...

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Just making a joke cause of all the crap that Brawl gets. Thought it was more obvious :S
Well it wasn't. You should know that 3 things that don't translate well over the Internet: 1. Sarcasm 2. Imitations and 3. Irony. So yeah, not a good joke.

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
I love the new sound effects.....The more lighthearted nature makes me less angry when I get destroyed.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The sound effects for this game are perhaps the best ones in the series by far. Definitely way better than Brawl's.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Idk guys. Melee Fox's voice was to me, the second best voice in smash history (behind Falcon ofc).

Everything sound/grunt/battlecry he made was so over the top, it's golden. It's like they locked some angry Asian guy on some hardcore drugs in a room with a blood thirsty bear and recorded his sounds while wrestling it. Even his death cry was just brutal as well.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I always thought he was saying HAYA!... you know, a generic scream.
Nope. That's him going "FIYAAAA!". Falco too.
Idk guys. Melee Fox's voice was to me, the second best voice in smash history (behind Falcon ofc).

Everything sound/grunt/battlecry he made was so over the top, it's golden. It's like they locked some angry Asian guy on some hardcore drugs in a room with a blood thirsty bear and recorded his sounds while wrestling it. Even his death cry was just brutal as well.
Uuuuhhh, oookaaay.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Well taking into consideration the fact that the sound files aren't compressed out the ass like in Melee or 64 ; the sounds have a very fun and "whimsical" sound to them. They don't sound like people are cracking each other's skulls anymore.

As for voices?
I actually like Fox and Falco's voices because I often play StarFox 64 3D and hearing their voices match makes me feel a sense of continuity in the Nintendo universe, and because they just sound true to character. I liked the Brawl one, sure, but the Melee VA was comedic at best. "MISSSHUN COMPRETE."
Most other VAs have it together.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
The sounds are good. like the electric sounds, the bat, the punching sounds and the spike sound are all great. :4megaman:'s are fantastic. But man, they got lazy with the voices.
:4sonic:Horrible voice and Y U NO SAY YOU ARE TOO SLOW!!!???
:4fox: FYERH! CAAM AON! LANDDDMASTHER! MISHON COMPLIT!
:4falco: Instead of sounding like Joey Wheeler,he is just an Average Joe with a plain voice.
:4ness: Finally I can understand what the hell he is saying! PK FLASH!
:4pit: Instead of sounding like a 10 year old, he now sounds like a 15 year old trying to sound cool.
:4lucario: ROAH! Sounds like an old man making dog noises.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Well taking into consideration the fact that the sound files aren't compressed out the *** like in Melee or 64 ; the sounds have a very fun and "whimsical" sound to them. They don't sound like people are cracking each other's skulls anymore.

As for voices?
I actually like Fox and Falco's voices because I often play StarFox 64 3D and hearing their voices match makes me feel a sense of continuity in the Nintendo universe, and because they just sound true to character. I liked the Brawl one, sure, but the Melee VA was comedic at best. "MISSSHUN COMPRETE."
Most other VAs have it together.
You don't like the sound of cracking skulls? It's like music to my ears. When I hit somebody in Brawl, the somewhat realistic sounds was what made it so satisfying.
The sounds are good. like the electric sounds, the bat, the punching sounds and the spike sound are all great. :4megaman:'s are fantastic. But man, they got lazy with the voices.
:4sonic:Horrible voice and Y U NO SAY YOU ARE TOO SLOW!!!???
:4fox: FYERH! CAAM AON! LANDDDMASTHER! MISHON COMPLIT!
:4falco: Instead of sounding like Joey Wheeler,he is just an Average Joe with a plain voice.
:4ness: Finally I can understand what the hell he is saying! PK FLASH!
:4pit: Instead of sounding like a 10 year old, he now sounds like a 15 year old trying to sound cool.
:4lucario: ROAH! Sounds like an old man making dog noises.
Well Pit is 12, so technically Manelli does a better job and Lucario's VA is pretty much a middle aged man making dog noises. Plus, it's Goku! How do you not like it?

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Ya know, about Shulk's VA, I'm really feeling it.

Jokes aside, I think Sonic has the worst VA of the game, all that Bazinga in his Final Smash is just... Oh ***t son.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
You don't like the sound of cracking skulls? It's like music to my ears. When I hit somebody in Brawl, the somewhat realistic sounds was what made it so satisfying
No unfortunately, I don't. It's disingenuous and just feels sorta awkward for such bright and colorful characters. Megman's sounds are perfect, punches sound like they're breaking the air, and Dedede's hammer is a hammer now.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Well Pit is 12, so technically Manelli does a better job and Lucario's VA is pretty much a middle aged man making dog noises. Plus, it's Goku! How do you not like it?
PIT IS 12?! It must be a lie. Had no idea he voiced Goku at one point. He doesn't sound like it.

Ya know, about Shulk's VA, I'm really feeling it.

Jokes aside, I think Sonic has the worst VA of the game, all that Bazinga in his Final Smash is just... Oh ***t son.
Shulk's voice is hilarious. Sanic is definitively the worst.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
PIT IS 12?! It must be a lie. Had no idea he voiced Goku at one point. He doesn't sound like it.

Shulk's voice is hilarious. Sanic is definitively the worst.
No, Sean Schemmel, Lucario's VA is Goku. And yes, Pit is 12.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
While we're on the subject of voices, I gotta say, I'm disappointed that Mercedes Rose didn't come back. I mean Kerri Kane is good and all, but she doesn't hold the same "I'm God" vibe that Rose held. And I love how Rose made Rosalina's voice echo every time she talked. Mercedes Rose told me the first time I saw Rosalina that she was not someone to be ****ed with. I don't get that same vibe from Kane. What do y'all think?

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Most of the voices are what they were in their most recent games I noticed.

Just saying thats how it usually works since brawl. Except like :4falcon: and :4marth: because they are to iconic to change.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is Pit canonically 12, or voiced by a 12 year old?
Antony Del Rio's 23. I'm assuming that's his normal voice pitched up a bit. Or not like James Arnold Taylor and Vic Mignogna. JAT uses his normal voice for Ratchet and Tidus and it sounds young even though JAT's 45. Mignogna's 52 and his natural voice was used for characters like Edward Elric.

Top Bottom