• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I will play the future MG if they are good, even if Kojima isn't around. Ghost Babel and Portable Ops weren't directed by him , and they are awesome games. But if Konami starts to make annual MG relases, then bye!

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
I'm certain the future Metal Gear games will have the BioShock effect; BioShock 2 wasn't made by the team of the first, and while 2 was a solid game on its own, the novelty of what made the first so mesmerizing was lost. It felt like fan fiction when compared to the first, even though the sentiment was present. I'm sure the upcoming Metal Gear games -- as long as they aren't annualized or headed to mobile -- will retain some integrity that made the essence of Kojima's games unique. It won't feel the same because of a new take and direction from a new creative team, but I feel as though they'd know better than to tarnish the series' prestige. If anything, I'm confident the next Metal Gear title will be a remake of the original so the new team can have something to safely follow and familiarize themselves with for upcoming installments. Similar to when 343 Industries debuted with Halo CE Anniversary then moved on to Halo 4.

If the series is going to be annualized and/or headed to smartphones, then forget everything I've said.

Also, less than two weeks until E3! Trying not to get all of my hopes up for Snake's return, but gosh dang if I can't help it.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd be lying if I said I was confident in Snake's chances of returning, yet even so, my thoughts are with you guys.

If he's announced at E3, I'll cheer for you guys and how far you've come!

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
I'd be lying if I said I was confident in Snake's chances of returning, yet even so, my thoughts are with you guys.

If he's announced at E3, I'll cheer for you guys and how far you've come!
"We can tell other people about - having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future."
―Solid Snake

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What Metal Gear news do you think we'll be getting at E3? (Well, we all hope that Snake gets announced for Smash Bros., but aside from that) I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that Metal Gear Solid V will be making an appearance, but with it being so close to release, I'm not sure what's left to show for it that would convince anyone who's somehow still on the fence.

D

Deleted member

After seeing that Death Battle, now I'm hoping that regardless of what design they go with, Snake's got the Solid Eye.

Strangely, I've also grown partial to the idea of it being "Old Snake" that comes into Smash if Snake comes back.

I mean, I get that Big Boss has had the protagonist role as of late, even on a Nintendo system with the 3DS remake of Snake Eater, but I feel Old Snake fits better due to it being the most recent design for Solid Snake, who is the Snake that's been featured in Smash (even if aspects of Big Boss were thrown in, such as the beard).

Besides, Smash is in need of an ass-kicking old man. :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
After seeing that Death Battle, now I'm hoping that regardless of what design they go with, Snake's got the Solid Eye.

Strangely, I've also grown partial to the idea of it being "Old Snake" that comes into Smash if Snake comes back.

I mean, I get that Big Boss has had the protagonist role as of late, even on a Nintendo system with the 3DS remake of Snake Eater, but I feel Old Snake fits better due to it being the most recent design for Solid Snake, who is the Snake that's been featured in Smash (even if aspects of Big Boss were thrown in, such as the beard).

Besides, Smash is in need of an ***-kicking old man. :troll:
I can see Old Snake being an alt costume, but his classic design is more iconic and should be his main one.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
To be honest, Old Snake has been my least favorite design of all iterations of Snake/Big Boss.

I mean, I don't dislike it, it's just my least liked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can see Old Snake being an alt costume, but his classic design is more iconic and should be his main one.

Pretty sure his "classic" design isn't so iconic. :troll:

EDIT: I'm well aware you're referring to Snake's younger appearances in the MGS games as opposed to his Metal Gear outings. I'm just joking around with that.
Problem is, he's got two different designs prior to Old Snake. There's the original MGS1 design (which would be the "classic" MGS design), and there's the one from MGS2 (the one used in Brawl but with Big Boss' beard).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I would like to see all of his different iterations as alts, similar to Bowser Jr.

Oh, I also managed to convince a fired to vote 11 times for Snake in the ballot.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Holy crap

I had a dream that had a very realistic setup of a potential Snake trailer...I'll post it when I get home maybe.

If Snake is chosen for DLC, how do you think his trailer will go? I have a feeling they would make it a bit longer like for Lucas, while Roy and Wolf would get a quickie like with Mewtwo.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I figure that a Snake trailer would show him up against his third party brethren. Apart from that idea, a trailer that delays his showing until the last moment would fit in with the "keeping you waiting" shtick.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
Holy crap

I had a dream that had a very realistic setup of a potential Snake trailer...I'll post it when I get home maybe.

If Snake is chosen for DLC, how do you think his trailer will go? I have a feeling they would make it a bit longer like for Lucas, while Roy and Wolf would get a quickie like with Mewtwo.
If Roy and Ryu are actually planned, then once Ryu is fully revealed, it zooms into his forehead. You slowly see the headband change in color and shape to resemble Snake's. The camera then zooms out to fully reveal Snake (who may or may not have Roy, or Ryu, or both in a choke-hold), as he says, "Kept you waiting, huh?". This is followed by the text,

"Snake sneaks into Smash!"

Cue gameplay montage.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
GASP

Guys

What if Ryu's trailer also revealed Snake? Two third party reveals, one newcomer and one veteran, all in one go. Of course that has literally a .01982756% chance of happening, even with Sakurai's knack for the unexpected. But it would be freakin awesome if so.

Plus they both wear headbands

Welp. :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Holy crap
My idea for a Snake trailer has Mario getting beat up by all the third parties in the game, and then he's launched by Sonic and lands next to a cardboard box that's revealed to be Snake. Cue trailer.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
We've already been hit with a wave of unexpected given Lucas' surprise release date reveal just today as opposed to E3.

So I firmly expect anything to happen.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You think if Snake were to be playable in this game as DLC, would it be Snake's last appearance in a Smash Bros game?
No, I doubt it. Unless some crap happens between now and next one where MGS is owned by Microsoft or PlayStation. If he makes it back in that means there was enough fan support to warrant it. They would have to put him in the next one for the fans' sake.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
GASP

Guys

What if Ryu's trailer also revealed Snake? Two third party reveals, one newcomer and one veteran, all in one go. Of course that has literally a .01982756% chance of happening, even with Sakurai's knack for the unexpected. But it would be freakin awesome if so.

Plus they both wear headbands

Welp. :4greninja:'d
Id die of happiness, and wed hear the sound of every snake hater go silent like the voices obi wan heard from alderaan.

Anyway, is everyone still keeping the dream alive by sneaking their votes in? We need to keep the momentum flowing

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Id die of happiness, and wed hear the sound of every snake hater go silent like the voices obi wan heard from alderaan.

Anyway, is everyone still keeping the dream alive by sneaking their votes in? We need to keep the momentum flowing
I'm keeping my vote rallying to a minimum till after E3. I just can't shake the feeling that he'll be there, and be released in November it's too damn perfect.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'm keeping my vote rallying to a minimum till after E3. I just can't shake the feeling that he'll be there, and be released in November it's too damn perfect.
Fair enough

---
Man i just tweeted a pic of that snake amiibo from a few pages back, and my twitter feed blew up. That should get us some notice

Edit: Even Kojima Retweeted it!!!

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Just think about it.... Sony and Microsoft are gonna have huge promotion for MGS V on the PS4 and Xbone, so why would Nintendo have ANY reason to reveal Snake for Smash? If anything, his chances of being revelaed are the lowest at E3, as another time would be better

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Fair enough

---
Man i just tweeted a pic of that snake amiibo from a few pages back, and my twitter feed blew up. That should get us some notice

Edit: Even Kojima Retweeted it!!!

Well holy moly me oh my... After being the third or so to retweet that tweet, I closed the twitter app on my phone, opened it back up and saw it had well over 200 retweets! It has over 700 favorites as I'm typing this -- what a great way to get the word out, especially from Kojima himself (even though he already had last March, but this is another good/recent movement forward in the cause). Hopefully this will lead to astounding results! I know this a retweet and all, but it's truly exciting to see Kojima this open for Snake's return!

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Just think about it.... Sony and Microsoft are gonna have huge promotion for MGS V on the PS4 and Xbone, so why would Nintendo have ANY reason to reveal Snake for Smash? If anything, his chances of being revelaed are the lowest at E3, as another time would be better

At the same time it'll make them good money. Selling a popular character like snake from a big a franchise could bring in some good cash. The snake DLC would be like a hyrule warriors situation. It introduced Nintendo fans to Dynasty Warriors(and remember, there was a dynasty warriors game releasing at that time for the ps3). At the same time, it brought in Dyansty Warriors' fans into zelda. So snake DLC would work like that. I scratch your back, you scratch mine.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Kojima isn't going to stop caring about his franchise just because he's not with Konami anymore.

Just like Sakurai clearly still cares about Kirby after leaving HAL.

I'd be willing to bet he's talking with Sakurai about it while he's still there.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You could have a point. But it kinda backfires. Putting Snake in the game to align with the release of the new Metal Gear could entice players of Metal Gear Solid to pick up Smash. It would work vice versa as well with Smash Players picking up the new Metal Gear. It wouldn't really help Sony or Microsoft really either because by now everybody who owns a Wii U probably owns a PS4, PS3, XB360, or XBOne. So, really it would only really be making Konami and Nintendo money.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
The same could have been said during brawls release when MGS4 came out that very year. And even more so if Ryu is shown at e3 and street fighter 5 is going nowhere near wiiu, then we have the same situation.

None of these really effect their chances as much as people try to assume they do, especially with those situations contradicting them as it is. If they show snake, it will promote smash bros, more so if its solid snake who has no apparent role in mgs5.

---
Anyway that tweet has about 1200 favorites and 800 retweets at this point, definitely happy with the response its gotten. Although i do feel a bit guilty since that isnt my creation, id like to give credit where credit is due. But as it is i just figured it could get our cause some attention regardless.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What tweet are we talking about?

It's mutually beneficial for both parties. There are several types of fans that buy characters, including:

-Casual fans
-Fans of cut veterans(if applicable)
-Fans of a specific character

So think about it. If Snake is shown before MGS5, it parallels Brawl in that it becomes promotion for MGS5(note that there was never explicit promotion of MGS4 in Brawl apart from foreshadowing for the former), which benefits Sony/Microsoft in that Snake appearing in Smash can help introduce people to Metal Gear, which in turn can help MGS5 gain more traction than it already has. Both parties win.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What tweet are we talking about?
This one, I think: https://twitter.com/HHBigBoss/status/606997859100028928

Also, Snake's inclusion in Smash Bros. also benefits Nintendo by introducing Metal Gear fans to Nintendo franchises that they might not have heard about otherwise. I know that some people who have posted in this thread got into Smash Bros. because of Snake's inclusion in the game, so it's mutually beneficial.

EDIT: Looking through Twitter replies, apparently this is the source of the Snake amiibo: https://twitter.com/Harro_Akharr Not sure if that's legitimate, though, since anyone could claim that they made it (or in this case, made the CGI mock-up)

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This one, I think: https://twitter.com/HHBigBoss/status/606997859100028928

Also, Snake's inclusion in Smash Bros. also benefits Nintendo by introducing Metal Gear fans to Nintendo franchises that they might not have heard about otherwise. I know that some people who have posted in this thread got into Smash Bros. because of Snake's inclusion in the game, so it's mutually beneficial.

EDIT: Looking through Twitter replies, apparently this is the source of the Snake amiibo: https://twitter.com/Harro_Akharr Not sure if that's legitimate, though, since anyone could claim that they made it (or in this case, made the CGI mock-up)
Damn. That's pretty good.

Also, I'm willing to say that the Amiibo is legit, remember that Mewtwo Amiibo someone made?

Granted, the fact that it's in a box kinda kills this thought a bit, but still.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here's a screenshot of it outside of the box, from the Twitter account that claimed to have made it.

Last edited:

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
I'm sure this is what most people mean by "not fitting in":

Snake's appearance in Brawl should have opened the floodgates for his stuff to come onto Nintendo consoles. Sure, not the Wii because of its lack of power, but the Wii U would have been just fine since most developers are still working on the PS3 and 360 in addition to the PS4 and ONE.

And Konami hasn't taken advantage of that massive new playerbase at all. Here's a video that goes into more detail:

Get Someone else to do your dii

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Here's a screenshot of it outside of the box, from the Twitter account that claimed to have made it.

I saw it, and ive since given him credit on twitter. I hope the original artist didnt take it personally, i apologized too, but without a watermark i had no way to site him in the original tweet.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I got a confession to make:

I only want Snake back for the possibility of Metal Gear Rising: Revengance soundtrack being in. That's it, I love the soundtrack so much.

Top Bottom