• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
One obstacle I see in Snake's path are those who want Simon Belmont. There is room for only one Third Party from one company. If you can convince the Simon Belmont supporters to see things your way, then that should provide you with many votes.
Indeed, and im seeing a good amount of it too. Its definitely gonna be hard to convince them, simon has many good aspects and would bring alot ot the table as well. Also what doesnt help matters is that usually the snake detractors run to the side of his fans by viture of "simon should have been in instead of snake anyway, he has more history and fits better".

Lol i hate making us sound like the victims, but no matter what we have an uphill battle like always, and it would take nothing short of snake appearing right before their eyes in a trailer to convince them otherwise. Even then wed still have some moaning about his return too

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Simon isn't even that important to his own franchise, doesn't Castelvania always have new protagonists like Fire Emblem does?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Simon isn't even that important to his own franchise, doesn't Castelvania always have new protagonists like Fire Emblem does?
Its quite the revolving door, but the belmont lineage has always remained the cornerstone, with simon being the most recurring. He was in the original, super castlevania 4, castlevania chroncles, and simons quest all of which are kind of retellings or remakes of the first game save for the last one mentioned. Alucard is up there too though at this point, one nice thing is that if igarashi ever does his own croudfunded version of castlevania he could still have dracula as the main villain since he is public domain.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Indeed, and im seeing a good amount of it too. Its definitely gonna be hard to convince them, simon has many good aspects and would bring alot ot the table as well. Also what doesnt help matters is that usually the snake detractors run to the side of his fans by viture of "simon should have been in instead of snake anyway, he has more history and fits better".

Lol i hate making us sound like the victims, but no matter what we have an uphill battle like always, and it would take nothing short of snake appearing right before their eyes in a trailer to convince them otherwise. Even then wed still have some moaning about his return too
There is one thing that makes it easier for Snake to appear than Simon:

1. His moveset has already been provided. This means putting him into the game is easier than Simon. Reason being, Simon uses a whip which requires Sakurai and his team to write blueprints for his moves. This means more $$$ spent to make Simon over Snake.

Just remembered something else: Snake already is in Brawl and people liked him. That works in his favor because it increased his popularity. Brawl exposed Snake to a new generation of potential gamers, giving him an incredible edge over Simon. Simon is remembered, but not nearly to the size of Snake.

Edit: Forgot to mention the word "Familiar", Snake being in Brawl has given him the vote for those who hate seeing characters with unique movesets gone. Even those who hate Snake must acknowledge that he had a fun and original moveset. The supporters at the Sami (Advance Wars) Thread want Snake's moveset for her if he doesn't come back. Just look at how upset people where when Lucas was presumably gone from the roster until he was announced.

If there is one thing you can do for undecided voters, you can show and explain to them why Snake is more likely than Simon. People like to vote for characters in polls that seem likely to happen (which is why King K. Rool is high as he is).
You and your supporters see why Snake should be put in place of Simon, it is according to how you present the information.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Doesn't change the fact that he was the first protagonist of the series and became an icon of the series because of it.

Somewhat like Marth, but that was also due to his Smash appearance.

Last edited:

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
Um, I want Snake over Simon, but Simon was the first Castlevania protagonist in the entire series, and has had a pretty prominent presence. He's appeared in the original Castlevania, Simon's Quest, Super Castlevania IV (widely considered the best title behind SotN), was playable in Judgement (terrible though the game is), and apparently makes soome appearance in Mirror of Fate (which I haven't played). He's basically the series' Marth. I don't think this argument is all that good either way, since, assuming Castlevania fans are going to support someone, they'd probably just pick a different character if Simon wasn't considered 'important' enough. Probably Alucard.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Doesn't change the fact that he was the first protagonist of the series and became an icon of the series because of it.

Somewhat like Marth, but that was also due to his Smash appearance.
Marth is also a Nintendo character.

Third parties would have to take extra consideration.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Marth is also a Nintendo character.

Third parties would have to take extra consideration.
Precisely. What Snake has to work hard for, Simon has to work harder for. Snake was already in Smash, so he can put back in easier than making a new moveset for Simon would require.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Who actually wants to play as a whip wielding vampire hunter, who would have to be built from the ground up, when we have a much more widely known sneaking war veteran with tons of explosives and no fourth wall, who's already been in Smash?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
man i could see it all now

(not counting deadpool and whatever that green thing is)
-----

And yet people still try to say that mgs3d didnt matter

------
Who actually wants to play as a whip wielding vampire hunter, who would have to be built from the ground up, when we have a much more widely known sneaking war veteran with tons of explosives and no fourth wall, who's already been in Smash?
We shouldnt denounce simon fans at all, of course snake comes first and foremost for us, but i would love to play as simon too at some point. I dont want us to become close minded like all the other fanbases that only see their character as the only one worthy of it, we are better then that. But our job will remain the same, snake 4 life, and snake for all those who are willing to support him.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
man i could see it all now

(not counting deadpool and whatever that green thing is)
-----

And yet people still try to say that mgs3d didnt matter

We shouldnt talk denounce simon fans at all, of course snake comes first and foremost for us, but i would love to play as simon too at some point. I dont want us to become close minded like all the other fanbases that only see their character as the only one worthy of it, we are better then that. But our job will remain the same, snake 4 life, and snake for all those who are willing to support him.
ROFL! I played as that Final Smash hack a day or so ago. The animations are so bad, it's funny. But then again, making the animations better might have gone over the .pac filesize limit, so...

To be realistic, if Snake wasn't in Smash, then Simon would've had a much better chance. I do wish both could be in though, even though I only know bits and pieces about Castlevania.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
One obstacle I see in Snake's path are those who want Simon Belmont. There is room for only one Third Party from one company. If you can convince the Simon Belmont supporters to see things your way, then that should provide you with many votes.
...Atleast for DLC, I can totally see them having both Snake/Simon & Mega Man/Phoenix Wright or Ryu in Smash 5.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, people will be people and will have reasoning that isn't the brightest or most fruitful. I came across several comments that shunned Snake for coming from an M rated series and was therefore unfitting in Smash, yet they went on explaining how they voted for Bayonetta. Nothing against her at all, it's just that I fail to understand that kind of logic where the same people who bash Snake for his mature themes are the same people who are voting for other characters from M rated games.

We can't let them all bring us down--we have to be above it, making our support shine like a galaxy. One of the reasons why I admire the Snake community so much is because of how cynicism is practically nonexistent while more optimistic qualities are what emphasizes the passion of this community.

On a natural side note, what if we notified YongYea from YouTube about all of this? He could possibly help spread the word to his subscribers, who are a sizable amount of Metal Gear fans--there's a whole lot of kindred spirits who can contribute to the cause! We can also spread the word through comment sections of videos where people mourn Snake's absence in the pre-DLC roster-- so on videos like the Encounter theme from Brawl that has around half a million views. I would link it if I could, but using this site on a mobile device isn't as kind as using it on the desktop.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I hate bayoneta supporters who shun down other supporters!
Literally one was telling me how Banjo is 'A thing of the past' he's 'Forgoten' 'Not Nintendo' but yet they vote for a walking, breathing fan service character >:(

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Unfortunately, people will be people and will have reasoning that isn't the brightest or most fruitful. I came across several comments that shunned Snake for coming from an M rated series and was therefore unfitting in Smash, yet they went on explaining how they voted for Bayonetta. Nothing against her at all, it's just that I fail to understand that kind of logic where the same people who bash Snake for his mature themes are the same people who are voting for other characters from M rated games.

We can't let them all bring us down--we have to be above it, making our support shine like a galaxy. One of the reasons why I admire the Snake community so much is because of how cynicism is practically nonexistent while more optimistic qualities are what emphasizes the passion of this community.

On a natural side note, what if we notified YongYea from YouTube about all of this? He could possibly help spread the word to his subscribers, who are a sizable amount of Metal Gear fans--there's a whole lot of kindred spirits who can contribute to the cause! We can also spread the word through comment sections of videos where people mourn Snake's absence in the pre-DLC roster-- so on videos like the Encounter theme from Brawl that has around half a million views. I would link it if I could, but using this site on a mobile device isn't as kind as using it on the desktop.
Yeah, yono yea would actually really help. How do we get in contact with him?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I REALLY hope Snake makes a comeback. I know Kojima isn't in charge anymore but Konami thinks it would be fine so maybe if the support is strong enough that Nintendo and Sakurai will think so too. One can only hope.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Let's see what Snake has
Positives
- Metal Gear series was born in 1987, 27 years of history.
-One of the most critically appraised game franchises.
-His games have had consistent quality since it's conception.
-Snake is one of the most well known characters in gaming, even more so than Mega man.
-Metal Gear has sold 40 million copies
-Has been in Brawl.
-Kojima and Konami want him in.
-Added codecs in Brawl to make Snake fit better with the other characters
-Iwata was okay with him
-Kojima and Sakurai are friends.
-Has been in Smash Bros already
-The most popular veteran right now
-Known in both Japan and the US
-Has a unique moveset
-Had MGS3 on 3DS 3 years ago

Negatives
-No Metal Gear game on Wii U
-MGSV being darker

But apparently Geno, Lloyd, Shovel Knight. Daisy, Shadow, Waluigi, and every other third party or background character is more likely than him. I swear, Smash fans use no logic.

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
No way Lloyd will be in this game but holy crap if he was plausible I would've voted him over Snake. :O

Thankfully he has no chance though, you all still have my vote. :3

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think that could be debatable, I've seen a lot of Wolf fans lately
I guess that's based off the poll data since snake has been ahead of wolf in most of them. But yeah it is debatable since the smashboards poll had him higher than snake.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It says a lot when the hero of a series I'm not too invested in or familiar with can be so endearing that I actually fall in love with them and everything they represent.

MGS is a great series from what I've played, and even though he's not my favourite character of all time or anything, Snake had a bizarre charm that I just adored. He was so fun to play in Brawl, and I love that he didn't take himself at all seriously. It's just wonderful to see this grizzled war veteran and infamous super-soldier going toe-to-toe with Mario and Pikachu and clearly having a good time. His Codec conversations were hilarious, his moveset was brilliantly creative, his soundtracks were godly and his mere presence opened the way for third-party characters.

Not to belittle anybody else's favourite character, a lot of my favourites are third-party too, but it's worth remembering that third-parties wouldn't be a thing if not for Snake and Sonic. Sonic would have appeared regardless, but it was Snake's glorious debut that proved it was possible. If nothing else, Snake's legacy is vital to the history of Smash; and, like a true solider of fortune, he expects no thanks and doesn't stick around for the celebrations and festivities. The battle done, he leaves without a trace, never to be seen again.

Until the next battle rolls around and the world needs a hero once again. War has changed, but we still need our hero.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I like how some people treat Snake fans like they are stupid for voting for him. Those are probably the same dumb people voting for characters like Lloyd, Geno, Daisy, Crash, Spyro, Shadow, and Sora.

I honestly feel that third parties should be reserved for the most popular characters in gaming that have at least had a couple games on Nintendo consoles. I wish Sakurai would set some sort of criteria for third parties.
A good friend of mine who doesn't spend any time keeping up with smash thinks I'm an idiot to vote Snake. Meanwhile, he voted Roy (All respect to that dude, but seriously, another clone? Might as well vote for Gray Pit.) ((He mains Pit, so I immediately sent him the pivture above of Snake strangling him. Lol.)), and Midna from Zelda. Never mind that she's an assist trophy.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
To say I've seen a plethora of Shovel Knight votes would be a massive understatement-- Shantae as well. I think they're fine characters and all and stem from fantastic games, but I'm surprised to see them requested more than Isaac and as much as Wolf. Not to hinder or condescend Shovel Knight's or Shantae's reputation in any way, but I thought the point of Smash Bros. was to include characters that represent a legacy of sorts?

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
To say I've seen a plethora of Shovel Knight votes would be a massive understatement-- Shantae as well. I think they're fine characters and all and stem from fantastic games, but I'm surprised to see them requested more than Isaac and as much as Wolf. Not to hinder or condescend Shovel Knight's or Shantae's reputation in any way, but I thought the point of Smash Bros. was to include characters that represent a legacy of sorts?
I can see Shantae's legacy a very tiny bit. Hasn't every Shantae game received really high praise? But regardless, I just don't see it happening as I believe the games have never come to Japan.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So u guys still rooting for that Snake uh????

I dont think he deserves the spot!! I dont think that Banjo bear deserves a spot!

Lets keep it real there are a lot of characters that deserves to be in Smash, characters that actually have their own game on Wii U/3ds like Bayonetta, Wonder Red and Chase.

If you guys want Snake go ask the developers of Playstation All Star Battle
Ugh,It's comments like these man..

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Shovel Knight's popularity as possible DLC can be attributed to the Smasified version that Artsy Omni made. Why else did Rayman explode after the fake leak yet still maintain his popularity despite the fakeness?

But apparently Geno, Lloyd, Shovel Knight. Daisy, Shadow, Waluigi, and every other third party or background character is more likely than him. I swear, Smash fans use no logic.
Logic flies out the window when the common fanbase etiquette of "complain about anything and everything" comes into play.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Here is a Smash DLC Japanese Ballot that has been translated:

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/smash-dlc-japanese-ballot-translations/

We got some supporters over seas:

Name: Akumyan

Character: Snake

Game: Metal Gear Solid Series

Reason: (beginning is cut off), and Snake is no exception. In Smash Bros. Brawl, Snake boasted a unique playstyle and impressive firepower, and we can’t forget his fighter analysis codec conversations. He exuded appeal—and it’s precisely that sort of appeal that Sm4sh so desperately needs.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
It says a lot when the hero of a series I'm not too invested in or familiar with can be so endearing that I actually fall in love with them and everything they represent.

MGS is a great series from what I've played, and even though he's not my favourite character of all time or anything, Snake had a bizarre charm that I just adored. He was so fun to play in Brawl, and I love that he didn't take himself at all seriously. It's just wonderful to see this grizzled war veteran and infamous super-soldier going toe-to-toe with Mario and Pikachu and clearly having a good time. His Codec conversations were hilarious, his moveset was brilliantly creative, his soundtracks were godly and his mere presence opened the way for third-party characters.

Not to belittle anybody else's favourite character, a lot of my favourites are third-party too, but it's worth remembering that third-parties wouldn't be a thing if not for Snake and Sonic. Sonic would have appeared regardless, but it was Snake's glorious debut that proved it was possible. If nothing else, Snake's legacy is vital to the history of Smash; and, like a true solider of fortune, he expects no thanks and doesn't stick around for the celebrations and festivities. The battle done, he leaves without a trace, never to be seen again.

Until the next battle rolls around and the world needs a hero once again. War has changed, but we still need our hero.
Very well said, and if anything we can still enjoy the thought that snake did his duty and went off into the sunset when all was said and done if he doesnt ever return. Anytime i think of snakes exclusion from this game, i think of it as he had bigger fish to fry and moved on to something bigger with MGS5 (even though thats venom snake and not solid) in essence still snake so you get what i mean.

I dont mind shovel knight at all, but honestly dont think any character that is produced outside of japan will get that much notice from sakurai and team, let alone an indie dev character that is still so new. It seems more plausible that they would work with someone they can visit to bounce feedback off of within japan. As for bayonetta, eh without her guns i dont think she would be put in without her trademark pistols, it would take away from her overall visual design in a big way. And even then, people give snake crap for the amount of games he has, but she has 1 nintendo release under her belt (2 games in one but still), yet every nintendo only fan gives her the go ahead without question....smh.

The new thing seems to be people arguing that banjo is more likely then snake now, some even going as far as saying that phil spencers tweet means that microsoft with a whole is all good with it. But they also add that kojima is the lynchepin to snakes inclusion and that its over now and konami would never want to do it (why they think konami wouldnt ill never know). When i see this, i feel like im shoveling snow outside, and when i go to get a drink the snow is all back within minutes, everytime i clean it up its back and its never ending.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Very well said, and if anything we can still enjoy the thought that snake did his duty and went off into the sunset when all was said and done if he doesnt ever return. Anytime i think of snakes exclusion from this game, i think of it as he had bigger fish to fry and moved on to something bigger with MGS5 (even though thats venom snake and not solid) in essence still snake so you get what i mean.

I dont mind shovel knight at all, but honestly dont think any character that is produced outside of japan will get that much notice from sakurai and team, let alone an indie dev character that is still so new. It seems more plausible that they would work with someone they can visit to bounce feedback off of within japan. As for bayonetta, eh without her guns i dont think she would be put in without her trademark pistols, it would take away from her overall visual design in a big way. And even then, people give snake crap for the amount of games he has, but she has 1 nintendo release under her belt (2 games in one but still), yet every nintendo only fan gives her the go ahead without question....smh.

The new thing seems to be people arguing that banjo is more likely then snake now, some even going as far as saying that phil spencers tweet means that microsoft with a whole is all good with it. But they also add that kojima is the lynchepin to snakes inclusion and that its over now and konami would never want to do it (why they think konami wouldnt ill never know). When i see this, i feel like im shoveling snow outside, and when i go to get a drink the snow is all back within minutes, everytime i clean it up its back and its never ending.
You must remember how Big Boss said he was dead inside since the end of MGS3. Look at what he did, feeling empty inside after 1964. He started MSF, and continued to fight for what he believed. We have to keep on fighting. Snake needs us.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I am similar, I never played a Metal Gear game until after Brawl was released. I was curious, so I bought a PS1 with Metal Gear Solid. I loved that game and eventually got the Metal Gear Solid collection for 2 and 3, then played 4 for the PS3. I will get 5 when it comes out. This when Snake became my second favorite character in Smash.

Something just thought is that people see Mega Man, Pac Man, and Sonic besides Mario. I see Snake besides Link and Samus.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I am similar, I never played a Metal Gear game until after Brawl was released. I was curious, so I bought a PS1 with Metal Gear Solid. I loved that game and eventually got the Metal Gear Solid collection for 2 and 3, then played 4 for the PS3. I will get 5 when it comes out. This when Snake became my second favorite character in Smash.

Something just thought is that people see Mega Man, Pac Man, and Sonic besides Mario. I see Snake besides Link and Samus.
You almost have the same background as me. Played Brawl, liked Snake. Eventually played MGS3D demo for almost 20 hours. When I finally played the full game, it became one of my top 3 favorite games. Then I bought MGS1 on disc at a pawn shop, played it on my PS3, and got Legacy a few weeks later. Snake is also my second favorite in Brawl. He is the only character I use if I have to play Brawl since I played PM and Smash 4. Link is still my Brawl main in terms of the time when I played the game, but if I play now, its Snake only for me.

Now for the real reason I came back online tonight.
https://youtu.be/Eg0GQCVjLzs
@ChileZeRo 's Top 5 Characters for the Ballot. Snake clocks in at #2, losing to Banjo. Or at least I think its second, just watch the video, what he does at the end throws off the count for me.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Snake's chances have never been higher. A massive support group, Konami's approval, previous Smash rep, and a recent Mgs 3 port for the 3DS? Big Boss hype!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
And yet people will continue to say he's unlikely because muhrights and muhthirdparty.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
What's wrong with it? It mentions
"Lets keep it real there are a lot of characters that deserves to be in Smash, characters that actually have their own game on Wii U/3ds like Bayonetta, Wonder Red and Chase."

Snake has a game on the 3DS so he qualifies. Unless you're a fan of other characters that don't have a game on the Wii U/3DS then you have my sympathy.

D

Deleted member

I simply approve of this 152+ page thread. :snake: and :wolf: and i will be a happy peep!

Edit : I have seen this idea before. What if all of the sudden, a update brings Snake in secretly with no notices, and you somehow meet the criteria to fight him. ALL OF THE SUDDEN, BATTLE AT SHADOW MOSES ISLAND!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
What's wrong with it? It mentions
"Lets keep it real there are a lot of characters that deserves to be in Smash, characters that actually have their own game on Wii U/3ds like Bayonetta, Wonder Red and Chase."

Snake has a game on the 3DS so he qualifies. Unless you're a fan of other characters that don't have a game on the Wii U/3DS then you have my sympathy.
You're right lol. I responded to him, and if responds back I'll bring it up.

Top Bottom