• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of today's double Direct feature

• Balatro: Friends of Jimbo update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neva

• Coffee Talk Tokyo

• Powerwash Simulator Shrek DLC

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Date Everything!

• Pizza Tower

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Other (Indie World)

• Tetris Forever + NES Tetris on NSO + Tetris 99 Cup

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • The Legend of Heroes Trial in the Sky the 1st

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Spongebob Squarepants: The Patrick Star Game

• Fitness Boxing 3

• Capcom Fighting Collection 2

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Atelier Yumia: The Alchemist of Memories & The Envisioned Land

• Castlevania Dominus Collection

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • MySims Cozy Bundle

• Rune Factory: Guardians of Azuma

• Yakuza Kiwami

• Other (Partner Showcase)

• Nothing in Either

• The Sonic 3 Trailer

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
P5 was a huge success, Joker being in Smash made got a lot of people interested in the series, what do you expect?
Tbf a lot of people have been vocal about wanting the FemC and I get it, adding her as a playable character means a lot of extra writing, extra modelling and more fully voiced S Links with multiple different characters, combined with the issues 3R already had internally it wouldn't be possible to add her but adding her as the superboss would have at least been something to acknowledge her beyond "It's not happening at all". You get to have fanservice and would actually be cooler cause Joker does NOT have the aura for a super boss.

Also, final day for P3R, I quickly realized the superboss was unstoppable so I'll have to face them on NG+ but now? This game's final battle awaits

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Tbf a lot of people have been vocal about wanting the FemC and I get it, adding her as a playable character means a lot of extra writing, extra modelling and more fully voiced S Links with multiple different characters, combined with the issues 3R already had internally it wouldn't be possible to add her but adding her as the superboss would have at least been something to acknowledge her beyond "It's not happening at all". You get to have fanservice and would actually be cooler cause Joker does NOT have the aura for a super boss.

Also, final day for P3R, I quickly realized the superboss was unstoppable so I'll have to face them on NG+ but now? This game's final battle awaits
You know what that's fair even though I disagree with the notion of Joker not having the aura of a superboss

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Next up on the art posts is Blue Mantis, I drew this guy a few times before and always knew I'd make him blue. But I never drew him in color yet. So I'm glad that changed.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Remember when Spyro, a funny series about a cool purple dragon who runs around setting fire to sheep and dealing with a capitalist bear and a surfer dude cheetah, and was generally a silly lighthearted franchise...was turned into God of War but terrible?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You know what that's fair even though I disagree with the notion of Joker not having the aura of a superboss
Let me put it like this
Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-SMT-3-Demi-Fiend-Boss-DLC.jpg

Ominous look and remixed battle theme, a reward for a long line of optional boss fights included in his special DLC, has interesting story stuff to consider beyond just "Hey it's the guy from the game" (True Demon Nocturne has Demifiend lead Lucifer's army to fight God, SMTV's story pretty much starts with God dead as told by Lucifer while the game itself takes a lot of steps from Nocturne unlike the previous game)
GVcdqCSW0AAn7m4.jpeg

Hides his face like a 12 year old who got really in to Naruto or something, is supposed to be like 10 chronologically, no thematic theming with the story so he's just there to go "Oooh it's the guy I recognize" instead of other options available like FemC or even Tatsuya from P2.

I don't really have a strong opinion here but I get it

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom will have amiibo support, being compatible with all previous Zelda series amiibo and Zelda characters from Smash series.

Seems to give you items but it wasn't fully specified.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Let me put it like this
View attachment 393612
Ominous look and remixed battle theme, a reward for a long line of optional boss fights included in his special DLC, has interesting story stuff to consider beyond just "Hey it's the guy from the game" (True Demon Nocturne has Demifiend lead Lucifer's army to fight God, SMTV's story pretty much starts with God dead as told by Lucifer while the game itself takes a lot of steps from Nocturne unlike the previous game)
View attachment 393613
Hides his face like a 12 year old who got really in to Naruto or something, is supposed to be like 10 chronologically, no thematic theming with the story so he's just there to go "Oooh it's the guy I recognize" instead of other options available like FemC or even Tatsuya from P2.

You know what, fair, I don't really have a strong opinion either so I won't argue further

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let me put it like this
View attachment 393612
View attachment 393613

That's nothing new for Persona challenge bosses. Persona 3 Portable was "hey it's Margaret from P4G". Persona Q had "go play Etrian Odyssey". Persona 5 Royal got "look, the protags of P3 and P4 which are now on modern consoles btw".

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's nothing new for Persona challenge bosses. Persona 3 Portable was "hey it's Margaret from P4G". Persona Q had "go play Etrian Odyssey". Persona 5 Royal got "look, the protags of P3 and P4 which are now on modern consoles btw".
That's fair, it'd just be cooler to have something else.

Speaking if superbosses I still can't believe the audacity of a boss who just instantly ****ing kills you turn 1 unless you follow a set of unwritten rules lmao, final boss has tl wait as my controller needs to charge but I feel this superboss is gonna give me a run for my money

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
personally I would have also liked to have see Kotone in some way (inb4 she’s secretly a spirit wandering across the Persona multiverse to ensure everyone is safe and stuff), buts it’s always nice to see Renren have a job without Morgana being in his way

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Fixed that for you.
Alright, if I rip my nostalgia goggles off, I can see the potential. A hack-and-slash beat-em-up with a dragon, on its own, is a cool idea.

My problem isn't just that it's not really well put-together (with pretty mid platforming, not much in the way of enemy variety and the most forced love story ever...also Eternal Night in particular just STINKS and has the most BS difficulty spikes imaginable)...

BUT THIS IS SPYRO.

The Spyro series, before Shadow Legacy, was a series of lighthearted platformer funtimes with silly characters, funny sidequests, lots of shiny collectibles, and it never took itself super seriously despite being about a fabled reptile from human legends. And that's all it really needed to be. It didn't need to be turned into a crazy epic fantasy with Elijah Wood and big ugly lava golems and all the personality sanded down to nothingness.

Maybe I'm biased, because Spyro was my entire childhood, Spyro 3 was the first game I ever played and the classic games stuck with me all throughout my childhood. But honestly, the Legend trilogy has been something I've held disdain for ever since I was a kid.

In fact, when Skylanders came out, I was RELIEVED. It felt a lot more like a Spyro game to me than any of the Legend games. You can even set fire to sheep!

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright, if I rip my nostalgia goggles off, I can see the potential. A hack-and-slash beat-em-up with a dragon, on its own, is a cool idea.

My problem isn't just that it's not really well put-together (with pretty mid platforming, not much in the way of enemy variety and the most forced love story ever...also Eternal Night in particular just STINKS and has the most BS difficulty spikes imaginable)...

BUT THIS IS SPYRO.

The Spyro series, before Shadow Legacy, was a series of lighthearted platformer funtimes with silly characters, funny sidequests, lots of shiny collectibles, and it never took itself super seriously despite being about a fabled reptile from human legends. And that's all it really needed to be. It didn't need to be turned into a crazy epic fantasy with Elijah Wood and big ugly lava golems and all the personality sanded down to nothingness.

Maybe I'm biased, because Spyro was my entire childhood, Spyro 3 was the first game I ever played and the classic games stuck with me all throughout my childhood. But honestly, the Legend trilogy has been something I've held disdain for ever since I was a kid.

In fact, when Skylanders came out, I was RELIEVED. It felt a lot more like a Spyro game to me than any of the Legend games. You can even set fire to sheep!
It was the 2000’s, dude. Pop culture was moving away from bright and happy to dark and edgy, and a lot of 90’s mascots got caught up in trying to chase trends.

Except Mario. Edgiest he ever got was a tribal tattoo.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

BUT THIS IS SPYRO.

My first Spyro game was Skylanders, then I played the Legends Trilogy and fell in love. I kind of don't care what the original trilogy was like. Don't get me wrong, I played the Reignited Trilogy and thought it was fun. But Legends's story and world and gameplay enthralled me as a child. Eternal Night is bs hard, I agree with you there. But I still love the Legends Trilogy and wish it got more love.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My first Spyro game was Skylanders, then I played the Legends Trilogy and fell in love. I kind of don't care what the original trilogy was like. Don't get me wrong, I played the Reignited Trilogy and thought it was fun. But Legends's story and world and gameplay enthralled me as a child. Eternal Night is bs hard, I agree with you there. But I still love the Legends Trilogy and wish it got more love.
So you’re the kid who’s first introduction to a franchise was actually the reboot, who gets left in the dust when the series goes back to its roots and ignores the stuff that you grew up with.

Very common these days.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It was the 2000’s, dude. Pop culture was moving away from bright and happy to dark and edgy, and a lot of 90’s mascots got caught up in trying to chase trends.

The Legend of Mario Trilogy of edgy beat em ups needs to exist now.
So you’re the kid who’s first introduction to a franchise was actually the reboot, who gets left in the dust when the series goes back to its roots and ignores the stuff that you grew up with.

Very common these days.
Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I love bright and colorful cartoon platformers. But stuff like Legends is amazing and deserves more respect.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Strikers erasure.

Edit: also Brawl Erasure

Last edited:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
I think I might've liked an edgy Spyro beat-em-up a bit more if it went a bit of a Kirby route. Keep the wild, epic storytelling and scary villains, but keep the older characters' sillier personalities. Like, keep Spyro as a chill but snarky dragon boy, keep Hunter as a surfer dude, and so on. But feel free to add characters like Malefor to the setting.

We're now two days running where I've used Kirby as a comparison point for Insomniac-originated platformer series.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Alright folks, I'm curious about something.

Which is better, Sonic and the Secret Rings or Sonic and the Black Knight?

Generally I see people saying Black Knight is better, but Secret Rings definitely has its defenders from what I've seen

Top Bottom