• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Now, I do expect Sylux to have an actual presence and actually do **** in Prime 4.
But it's been nearly a decade of "omg guys just wait for Prime 4, he'll be relevant there I swear" with the game being vaporware until a couple weeks ago that it's hard not to rag on the fact he's a dude from a spin-off that's only had post credit appearances in an 8 year old game no one played and a 17 year old game and none of these are accessible on current hardware (please port Prime 2 and 3 over already).
I basically completely agree. We know less about him than some of the other playable hunters in Prime Hunters, which to be fair is intentional because he was planned to have a bigger role this entire time and I fully trust that Retro has something big cooking for him, but like... it doesn't change the fact that we still don't know anything about him. At least wait until the game is out and you have a concrete opinion on him, I remember seeing him being brought up as a Smash candidate close to a decade ago and we don't know much more about him now than we did back then, the only difference is that we now have a concrete idea on when he'll actually be relevant and not a meme.

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Now, I do expect Sylux to have an actual presence and actually do **** in Prime 4.
But it's been nearly a decade of "omg guys just wait for Prime 4, he'll be relevant there I swear" with the game being vaporware until a couple weeks ago that it's hard not to rag on the fact he's a dude from a spin-off that's only had post credit appearances in an 8 year old game no one played and a 17 year old game and none of these are accessible on current hardware (please port Prime 2 and 3 over already).
Not to mention, his moveset potential from what we've seen so far in Prime Hunters would only bring us at best a Samus semiclone a-la Lucas.

Is that the kind of fighter representation people want for the Metroid franchise? Three characters who play almost identical (Samus, Dark Samus and Sylux), Samus without an armour and Ridley as the outlier?

Idk, I feel there's more potential to be had with the Metroid franchise for fighters. We have a literal shapeshifter who could work similar to Rogue in X-Men VS Street Fighter/Marvel VS Street Fighter, Rundas who would bring more ice-themed characters to the game (seriously, I think we only have Ice Climbers as proper ones) and even Raven Beak, who could go hard if done right. Not to mention the idea I had for a Metroid as a fighter.

Idk, maybe I am insane or something... But as of now I think there's better characters to pick from the Metroid franchise at the moment.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Didn't think my two latest posts on the thread would be that bothersome...

Sorry, need to control myself more when talking serious stuff I guess...

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
It's Pokemon time!

After some thinking and analysis, I came up with special new status effects that have a small chance of being afflicted by a vast majority of grass-type moves. These ones are special though - a Pokemon that gets one will never get the other. Which status your Pokemon winds up with depends on your Pokemon's personality values - much like Hidden Power or a Wurmple's evolution.

One half of Pokemon may suffer from the "Transfixed" status effect when hit by a grass-type move. This status ailment has the Pokemon fixating on the sweet scents emanating from their grass-type opponent which now surround them. Their evasion plummets as their mind forgets to dodge, and every so often they don't move at all, instead choosing to just breathe in the sweet scent around them while inadvertently giving their foe a chance to connect a hit.

The other is a more immediately debilitating one: the "Hayfever" status. Some Pokemon are cursed to suffer this status after being hit with a grass-type move depending on their personality values. While it can't stop them from attacking, at the end of each turn a Pokemon suffering from the Hayfever condition will either itch madly, lowering their defense, or sneeze and take chip damage, much like the Cold status from Earthbound.

Both statuses will luckily wear off upon being switched out. Just pray you don't get Mean Look'd into a trap. Sweet Scent will change from a simple evasion-lowering move to a Thunder Wave-style status move that immediately afflicts a Pokemon with one of the two statuses - it'd also see its type changed from Normal to Grass, of course.

As a reminder: it's all dependent on personality values as to which Pokemon it gets. You can seek out an allergy tester at a certain Pokemon Center to see which status your Pokemon might get afflicted with.

Bug types (as well as other grass types) are completely immune to both, however, as a bug doesn't get terribly afflicted with either condition in real life. Huge boon for the buggy boys.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Mate, I mean no offense by this but you really need to stop putting yourself down just because a couple of posts here and there didn't receive the traction you wanted. I feel like it's becoming a much more frequent occurrence of people having to assure you that no harm was dealt by anything you've said and that you're just being paranoid again.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Mate, I mean no offense by this but you really need to stop putting yourself down just because a couple of posts here and there didn't receive the traction you wanted. I feel like it's becoming a much more frequent occurrence of people having to assure you that no harm was dealt by anything you've said and that you're just being paranoid again.
Yeah, It is becoming more common than usual that people have to tell me nothing's wrong, ngl.

Need to work that out, and just relax myself about posts and such. Because yeah, I actually do doubt anyone's gonna be bothered about my takes on videogames and such. I feel they are quite harmless for the most part.

Will send a message to my psychologist about It, and see what she suggests me to do as well.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Going to be somewhat blunt, here. You've got to stop thinking that some of your posts are some kind of problem just because people didn't reply or quickly reply to them.

Look at some of the other posts on the same page. Or this page thus far, for that matter. Not all of them have gotten replies, either. That doesn't mean people are annoyed by the posts. No one's obligated to reply to anything here, sometimes it takes a while for people to respond to a post or for other people who might respond to it to even go on the site and read it to begin with, and then sometimes people just don't have much to say in response to something. It happens all the time, and it's generally not a big deal, much less an automatic sign that people are annoyed by the posts in question.

People aren't always going to catch every post nor have much to say in response to some posts, but that doesn't mean your words and opinions have zero value, nor does that mean people aren't responding out of malice or spite. Just know that not every last post (and this goes for everyone here) here is going to garner much attention or start an extensive or deep conversation or debate. That's normal. Don't let it discourage you from writing what you want to talk about, and try to get out of this irrational mindset that people aren't responding because your posts are somehow "bothersome". You're worrying way too much.

Last edited:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Going to be somewhat blunt, here. You've got to stop thinking that some of your posts are some kind of problem just because people didn't reply or quickly reply to them.

Look at some of the other posts on the same page. Or this page thus far, for that matter. Not all of them have gotten replies, either. That doesn't mean people are annoyed by the posts. No one's obligated to reply to anything here, sometimes it takes a while for people to respond to a post or for other people who might respond to it to even go on the site and read it to begin with, and then sometimes people just don't have much to say in response to something. It happens all the time, and it's generally not a big deal, much less an automatic sign that people are annoyed by the posts in question.

People aren't always going to catch every post nor have much to say in response to some posts, but that doesn't mean your words and opinions have zero value, nor does that mean people aren't responding out of malice or spite. Just know that not every last post (and this goes for everyone here) here is going to garner much attention or start an extensive or deep conversation or debate. That's normal. Don't let it discourage you from writing what you want to talk about, and try to get out of this irrational mindset that people aren't responding because your posts are somehow "bothersome". You're worrying way too much.
I agree completely.

I often have posts go unnoticed or unreplied to, but it doesn't really stop me from discussing what I'm passionate for. It makes me happy. So if talking about what you love brings you joy, go right ahead! No-one is bothered or upset at you.

Jotadé

Smash Ace

Thanks kingofphantoms for the detailed post about the whole thing. Yeah, just as you were typing this I was texting my psychologist through WhatsApp to hear her thoughts as well, she's probably gonna agree that It is all in my head due to the anxiety, and hopefully gives me tips to deal with It.

Because yeah, there are a lot of cool people here. Idk why they would actually have anything against me when they have more serious matters on their personal lifes and such. We are all ideally here just to relax and chill.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Made some new Fakemon for my new dex. Just an idea I had for the game's "gimmick".
I made a new kind of evolution process called Inverso Evolution, which is a special type of evolution that only the starters, including previous starters, as well as Eevee and Riolu, may have. Essentially, once your Pokemon becomes its final evolution, you will have the ability to take it to the Inverso Well- which "devolves" your Pokemon back to its first form, but gives it a new ability called Paragon Aura, which increases the Pokemon's stats by 1+, but it can only activate once per battle. These Pokemon are based on their first stage evolution but with changes to its design that makes them look similar to their third evolution. Their bst also mimic mythic legendary Pokemon (100 across the board), -which is explained in the lore of the well but for now ill leave that part out- but have two negative stats and a positive stat, that have a different of 20 each, but all their HP is 100. For example:

Inverso Bulbasaur: 100 80 100 120 100 80
Inverso Charmander: 100 120 100 80 80 100
Inverso Squirtle: 100 80 120 100 100 80
--
Inverso Chickorita: 100 100 80 100 120 80
Inverso Cyndaquil: 100 80 80 120 100 100
Inverso Totodile: 100 120 80 80 100 100

This is still a work in progress and nothing is final. This evolution is tied to the mythical Pokemon of the game, Revenerso, a Ice/Ghost type. The name is a mix of Inverso and Revenant. The idea I had is that a human from long ago tried to bring his Pokemon friend back from the dead using the Inverso Well, but was traumatized by his Pokemon's new, zombified form and abandoned it, leaving Revenerso to become cold to others. It's ability is Inverso Renewel, which makes it stop any fatal attack at 1 hp, then fully heals and gets a boost to all its stats by 1, but it's ability become Empty Heart, which does nothing.

Again, wip.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
If you ask me it’s always Pokemon time :dkmelee:

Seriously I’m really lucky that most of this thread is Pokemon fans. It very easily could’ve just been me and my unhealthy obsession rambling in the corner.
Lol, I really understand the feeling Noi.

I am also lucky that most of Smashboards seems to be fine with Marvel, SEGA, PS2/PS3 and Capcom stuff. Been talking a lot these past weeks about media I deeply enjoy and that has been really awesome.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
I remember when I was young, I hated Pokemon cause I thought it was nerdy and for losers.

Jokes on me now.
During my edgy teen days I really hated on anime, mostly because of the influence from youtubers and the whole anti-anime stuff going on in Nintendo communities back then.

... In retrospective It was really dumb from my part because I am literally from a country with heavy ties with Japan since at least the 70s which has been receiving more anime and japanese media than even the USA. I literally grew up with a lot of animes as well.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I remember when I was younger, I hated Pokemon cause I thought it was nerdy and for losers.

Jokes on me now.
Been waiting for the right opportunity to tell this story

When i first arrived at middle school I saw a guy around my age who liked Pokémon and I told him it was for babies. This led me to talk about other games and I mentioned Sonic and he said he also likes Sonic.

Flash forward about 11 years later and this guy is one of my best friends, and I keep up with Pokémon and he doesn't

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I used to adore Pokemon in my younger years but fell out of it not long after Platinum released. Picked up a few games here and there like Sun, Sword, and BDSP, but I really didn't vibe with any of them.

Now, I do still have a sealed copy of Violet so maybe that could potentially be the game to bring me back, but damn if the visuals and performance issues don't put me off from starting it up lol.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I used to adore Pokemon in my younger years but fell out of it not long after Platinum released. Picked up a few games here and there like Sun, Sword, and BDSP, but I really didn't vibe with any of them.

Now, I do still have a sealed copy of Violet so maybe that could potentially be the game to bring me back, but damn if the visuals and performance issues don't put me off from starting it up lol.
I’m not gonna tell you to go out and spend another $60 USD on pocket monsters but I feel like you’d enjoy Legends Arceus.

I do like S/V but I also can’t deny that the state it released in is kinda inexcusable. PLA is a much more solid and fresh experience.

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Ace
I like Pokémon. Specially the hidden lore and the spin-offs.

I was one of those persons who saw Loquendo YouTube theories about the Ghost of Luminous City and how she tied with the ghosts from the Old Chateau in Sinnoh and that one bridge in Black & White. Really loved all of that.

Also Shadows Of Almia, Guardian Signs, Explorers Of Sky and Pokkén are genuiely great games imo.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I like Pokémon. Specially the hidden lore and the spin-offs.

I was one of those persons who saw Loquendo YouTube theories about the Ghost of Luminous City and how she tied with the ghosts from the Old Chateau in Sinnoh and that one bridge in Black & White. Really loved all of that.

Also Shadows Of Almia, Guardian Signs, Explorers Of Sky and Pokkén are genuiely great games imo.
Equis-De-De-De-De-De-De de Dedo

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I remember when I was younger, I hated Pokemon cause I thought it was nerdy and for losers.

Jokes on me now.
When I was a kid, I was averse to Pokemon because my parents disliked anime, and thus (at the time, anyway) disliked Pokemon as well. That's literally it.

Later on, after becoming a fan of the series, I actually had to correct my family that Pokemon didn't start out as an anime rather than as a video game. While they don't play the games or watch the shows, they've actually rather liked Pokemon for a while and have lightened up on anime itself since.

Shroob

Sup?
The older I get, while I appreciate that Pokemon's dumbed down the systems to make getting into competitive easier, a part of me kinda wishes they'd just, make a game that's just a battle sim ala Showdown.

Ignoring things like hyper-specific IV spreads like 0 speed for Trick Room(Seriously, why do we not have something for this?), the fact you still have to buy multiple games to really 'get into' competitive sucks.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
I’m not gonna tell you to go out and spend another $60 USD on pocket monsters but I feel like you’d enjoy Legends Arceus.

I do like S/V but I also can’t deny that the state it released in is kinda inexcusable. PLA is a much more solid and fresh experience.
Yeah, Legends Arceus was really cool.

I do kinda wish It gave answers about popular Pokémon lore mysteries such as who was the actual human who locked Spiritomb away, where did the 9000 arms of Arceus thing from the Pokédex came from, and specially how did Cresselia and Darkrai arrived from their respective islands to Sinnoh.

I do like what the Game cooked with Palkia and Dialga doh. And the Arceus fight? Peak.

Equis-De-De-De-De-De-De de Dedo
Lmao, great reference. Man I miss loquendo. Thankfully there are still some youtubers Who use It such as Habiaunavezloquendo or Snivyman.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
When I was a kid, I was averse to Pokemon because my parents disliked anime, and thus (at the time, anyway) disliked Pokemon as well. That's literally it.

Later on, after becoming a fan of the series, I actually had to correct my family that Pokemon didn't start out as an anime rather than as a video game. While they don't play the games or watch the shows, they've actually rather liked Pokemon for a while and have lightened up on anime itself since.
It's always fascinating to read stories of prohibitive parents because mine's luckily were very permisive with me.

They allowed me to watch Tim Burton movies, they allowed me all sorts of anime and comics, they even allowed me to play videogames, heck, they even watched the original Robocop with me back when I was 13 to make sure they could answer any questions I had about the movie and understood its themes.

The only time my mother denied me from watching something, was apparently when she saw a clip from Naruto which according to her "was really brutal and blood-heavy" and she said "nah, they aren't watching this until they turn 7 years old". And yeah, I didn't watch Naruto until I was 7.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, call it recency bias, but the Essence System in SMT V is kinda GOATed in terms of party customization ngl.

Being able to effectively get an item that has a demon's learned skillset and then just save it for later to use on another one, thus letting you customize the hell out of your party...

While Egg moves and Tutor moves have been dumbed down considerably in recent years, honestly having a system like this where you could change moves on fly would be swell.

Old TMs used to kinda be this but for some reason they thought it'd be good to make them consumed upon use again **** **** ****

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah, Legends Arceus was really cool.

I do kinda wish It gave answers about popular Pokémon lore mysteries such as who was the actual human who locked Spiritomb away, where did the 9000 arms of Arceus thing from the Pokédex came from, and specially how did Cresselia and Darkrai arrived from their respective islands to Sinnoh.

I do like what the Game cooked with Palkia and Dialga doh. And the Arceus fight? Peak.
Well with the Arceus and the 9000 arms thing, they don’t really go into it, but they do make it clear that the Arceus we’re familiar with isn’t the true Arceus.

The cosmic creator spirit is still an unknown entity, it manifested a bit of itself into the form of a Pokemon so that it could experience the world it created on a more personal level. And the whole game was it testing the player to see if they were worthy of accompanying Arceus on this journey.

So the real Arceus could very well have 9000 arms, they never confirm or deny it.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Unrelated but I finished Invincible season 2 and I think I can confidently call this one of ny favorite TV shows of all time
Ngl, haven't seen The Boys but the first season of Invincible at least felt way more satisfying to me than what the trailers for The Boys sell the show as.

Idk, I find It really cool how Invincible does the whole thing I was planning to do with my original superhero story of taking superhero tropes and conventions and embracing them but also while applying real-life rules to It all. Makes It feel like a tribute rather than mockery of the genre.

Omni Man also legit seems like a cooler villain than Homelander, ngl. There were moments in the show where the stuff he said and did had me shaking, ngl.

Well with the Arceus and the 9000 arms thing, they don’t really go into it, but they do make it clear that the Arceus we’re familiar with isn’t the true Arceus.

The cosmic creator spirit is still an unknown entity, it manifested a bit of itself into the form of a Pokemon so that it could experience the world it created on a more personal level. And the whole game was it testing the player to see if they were worthy of accompanying Arceus on this journey.

So the real Arceus could very well have 9000 arms, they never confirm or deny it.
Oh yeah, you are right about that. They did mention the original form of Arceus isn't shown in the game.

Yeah, that was cool. How the Game expanded onto Sinnoh and Arceus lore while also giving the players more stuff to theorize about.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
My parents didn't let me watch Pokémon and other cool **** because it was "too violent". I just finished watching Invincible with my dad so I don't know what that was about.

Also I didn't know about the games, I got my first system at age 13. I had a friend who basically introduced me to Pokémon at elementary school and that was when my interest in the franchise and gaming in general blossomed into an obsession, but up until then it was only browser games for me

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Also, call it recency bias, but the Essence System in SMT V is kinda GOATed in terms of party customization ngl.

Being able to effectively get an item that has a demon's learned skillset and then just save it for later to use on another one, thus letting you customize the hell out of your party...

While Egg moves and Tutor moves have been dumbed down considerably in recent years, honestly having a system like this where you could change moves on fly would be swell.

Old TMs used to kinda be this but for some reason they thought it'd be good to make them consumed upon use again ** **
7 Palabras :troll:
(I wanted to say it for a while)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Ngl, haven't seen The Boys but the first season of Invincible at least felt way more satisfying to me than what the trailers for The Boys sell the show as.

Idk, I find It really cool how Invincible does the whole thing I was planning to do with my original superhero story of taking superhero tropes and conventions and embracing them but also while applying real-life rules to It all. Makes It feel like a tribute rather than mockery of the genre.

Omni Man also legit seems like a cooler villain than Homelander, ngl. There were moments in the show where the stuff he said and did had me shaking, ngl.
I have not seen The Boys but my dad and sister like it. I told my sister I'll watch it if she watches One Piece, which she has yet to do. So I can't compare the two and don't care to.

Invincible is just ****ing amazing, I'm actually at a loss for words at how good this season was

Top Bottom