• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake Boards Go Green, Version 2.0

Underload

Lazy
The Snake boards are starting to get out of shape again, partially due to my laziness. I'm making this thread in an attempt go create a general gameplan for this place. This is a thread to brainstorm about the Snake board, but I actually need other people to help present and argue ideas. So, as such, everyone is implored to post here.

Stickies are an issue. Here's a short thread-by-thread analysis.

Under Construction (FAQ + Q&A) - An abandoned project. I spent a few good days working on it, but the need to update the thread with each new question makes for way too big of a workload for me. I just need to cut my losses.

To be replaced with a new thread, with 10 or so questions in the OP with medium-length answers. Will be updated necessary. Need volunteers for an OP. Requirements: check at least once a week, read any new posts. Notice any trending questions and add them to the OP if necessary. It's a lot easier than it might sound.

The Official Snake Video Critique Thread! - Where are the critiquers? I tried watching and discussing videos for a while, and Yume jumped in and did a lot of work, but after a certain point the both of us just gave up. Having every regular read that thread, and have at least 1 critique for every video posted would be great. If everyone does their part, there's hardly any work.

148.41 - Solid Snake's Hitbox AND Frame Data - EY's mostly done. There's always more to do, but for the most part we have the information we need. Hardly needs maintaining. Only stickied for posterity and convenience.

--- Snake Video Thread [V.3] AvoiD Edition --- - Started off well, then AvoiD totally bailed, with no reason. He never once mentioned him 'quitting', and
even that doesn't mean he can't update a thread, or at least tell us he doesn't want to do his job anymore. Is it even worth having a constantly updating video thread?

140.85 - The Solid Snake Matchup Database - Needs to get back on track. I haven't written a summary in forever, and I probably make a thread once every month or so these days. Unacceptable.

VR Training: A Guide To Using Solid Snake - Berk's been gone for a while, but at least he left behind a decent guide. It could probably use a good boiling to melt off the fat, but besides that, seems to be in decent condition. People are benefiting from it. Anybody want to make some of those changes?

READ BEFORE POSTING!! Snake Directory And General Information - Will probably need to be updated someday. But until then :rolleyes:. Haven't been too many epic threads worth archiving lately.

I want our workload to be low, while still actually, y'know, maintaining a consistent level of effort. We as players of a character have a responsibility to follow, expand, and nurture our character's metagame. Any sort of bureaucracy bs shouldn't be around. Be smart, be chill. That's the idea.

So, what should happen? What shouldn't? How do you see this place running itself? That's what this thread is about.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
You should be fired and replaced by me.

But more seriously.....

Removed Hitbox+Frame data sticky if completed - add it to the directory if not there.

Remove the guide if not being updated - add to directory if not there.

Remove the video thread - I've never really seen the point of having a directory of videos... few people actually watch most of them, and hell - nobody really watches matches unless it was a recent tourney match that was at high levels of play. Anyone remember people asking if there were any _____ vs _____ matches? Yea.. no need for the thread. Anyways............

The video critique thread can become the 'unofficial' video database. If you care to have your videos organized you can maintain the video thread. :) But to be honest, it doesn't seem any regulars here ACTUALLY CARE for the video thread. So again, we can keep the critique thread just so we don't get 3,000,000 "How's mah Ekans" threads. This threads just around to keep the forum cleaner.

The F.A.Q can become a group project if people are willing to each record a certain question. If we got 4 people to be the first 4 posts and it was organized in some way for example, it's a lot less workload on one person. If one person stops updating, you can quote their post - add it to your own and update for them until they return or someone else wants to take over. It's definately not a one-man project, because whenever it is - it stops getting updated after a while. Also nobody actually reads through the FAQ and most questions are questions most Snake mains know to answer off the top of their head. A FAQ isn't really needed, but a nice Q&A thread wouldn't be bad - and would cut down on useless 1 question threads.

You may have noticed I basically removed every single sticky except 3 which are meant to cut down on the number of stickies - and number of useless threads made.

This cut-down ensures that people actually notice the directory. Right now it's below every other sticky and a lot of people only skim over the top two or three stickies.

The directory should be re-ordered in the following way:

1) Importance comes first. If the thread is really important and useful - it's on the top of the following groups:

Group 1 - Guides, How To's, and AT's [The Controllable Aspects of a Snake Main]

Group 2 - Data and Information [The Technicale Aspects of a Snake Main]

Group 3 - Interesting and Knowledgeable Reads [What the Wise Men have to say about Snake]

Group 4 - Other [Anything that does not fall under the last 3 categories]

How "Importance" is deemed:

1) Popularity - How many views/replies does it have? If everyones viewing it - it's something people want to see. This should go above something with 250 views and 4 replies.

2) How often is it asked about? - This applies more to data. The data we need to access quickest should be at the top of the list while minor things like my "how long c4/mines last" should be near the bottom.

3) How much information does it contain? - A huge thread that covers every single aspect of multiple things (EG: A Guide) should be above "How to DACUS"

That's my proposal order. Now get to it!

With love,
SuSa [WTC]

etecoon

Smash Hero
no one asks for video's because

A) up until avoid took it over, we HAD a constantly updated video thread that had video's of every top snake in north america

B) because snake boarders are lazy in general and the idea of studying video is foreign to them to begin with, rather than look at what top snake's are doing, researching frame data, messing around in training mode, they're more likely to go to the Q/A or video critique threads and ask someone else to think for them(and fail because the rest of us are lazy too).

for that reason I also agree that hitbox/frame data thread should be unstickied, I think that kind of a thread SHOULD be stickied on every board ideally, but it's not terribly important to this boards demographic. the only time snake boards ever functioned productively was when SuSa did 95% of the work for everyone, your expectations are unrealistic

SuSa

no one asks for video's because

A) up until avoid took it over, we HAD a constantly updated video thread that had video's of every top snake in north america

B) because snake boarders are lazy in general and the idea of studying video is foreign to them to begin with, rather than look at what top snake's are doing, researching frame data, messing around in training mode, they're more likely to go to the Q/A or video critique threads and ask someone else to think for them(and fail because the rest of us are lazy too).

for that reason I also agree that hitbox/frame data thread should be unstickied, I think that kind of a thread SHOULD be stickied on every board ideally, but it's not terribly important to this boards demographic.

A) Keeping up with the tournament scene and major tournaments and knowing the top Snake players. Go to Youtube AND SEARCH FOR IT. :laugh:

B) Yea, I know you guys are lazy. That's why I loved moderating this board. :bee: Was such easy work....

C) I agree frame data should be stickied on every board....unless it has a directory for which such a thread should be inserted into.

Somewhat updated directory > Random unneeded clutter of stickies

EDIT:
the only time snake boards ever functioned productively was when SuSa did 95% of the work for everyone, your expectations are unrealistic
So not true.... Velox, Eternal Yoshi, that one guy, and those other two guys were all very great helps in testing things for us. I did maybe 20% of the work and tricked everyone else into doing the other 80% for me. =P

etecoon

Smash Hero
youtube search is bad especially if you look up vids of players that have multiple sets up, it works if you have no other choice but obviously having a neatly organized video library is more convenient

I think directories tend to get ignored because you're overloading too much **** into one place but w/e, everyone should have this thread bookmarked anyway

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258564

edit: ok, the only time snake boards functioned properly was when SuSa used his JEDI MIND TRICKS to manipulate other people. it's still unrealistic to expect that much more these days, that's just how most snake mains are.

SuSa

Again.... know the tournament names. I know WHOBO's sets are usually found pretty easily. WHOBO __ ____ vs _____

Directories are ignored because people are lazy as ****. It's not hard to hit control+F, type in the most logical name for what you are looking for - and click the link. If it doesn't show up, go ask about it in the Q&A. Ideal board setup right there.

Most directories are horribly outdated however, lack a good organization (the way I used to organize it was horrible as well... I actually spent an hour planning the best organization for such a thread and I came up with what I mentioned above), and people don't know how to control+F.

Which is why I also nominate the Directory to be named:

Control+F is your FRIEND [Snake Directory]

EDIT:
edit: ok, the only time snake boards functioned properly was when SuSa used his JEDI MIND TRICKS to manipulate other people. it's still unrealistic to expect that much more these days, that's just how most snake mains are.
Quit making me edit so ****ed much. =P

I think it's the lack of caring... we don't care to keep 2nd place on the tier list.... XD because none of us feel Snake should be there.. others constantly work on their characters metagame in hopes of advancing... :p We can't advance (... if anyone says we can, I want to know where you are and why you aren't out there owning Meta Knight's left and right)... so we only have back to go or to hold our place.

As mentioned, we don't much care or think we should hold our place... so we became lazy.

EDIT 2:
Edit: I also 'mod' Tourament Videos. Seriously, people don't care about posting and watching videos that much.
And we also have a ****ING FORUM FOR TOURNAMENT VIDEOS?

Funny how I never knew about this... if people want vids, we can send them there... lmao

Underload

Lazy
...No we didn't. You had control of the thread, where a lot of stuff was tagged incorrect, was outdated and never updated. When confronted about it, you blamed the lack of people posting videos. SO I SMOTE YOU

Doing some editing work on a thread, will post results

Edit: I also 'mod' Tourament Videos. Seriously, people don't care about posting and watching videos that much.

etecoon

Smash Hero
uh, there was one error where one of the collapse tags was misplaced, and I said I was giving it up because I don't play snake now. lr2memory

exact quote since you apparently can't remember too well

"yeah I'm pretty unmotivated to work on this/search for vids seeing as I don't play snake at all...if you'd like to do it you're welcome to, PM underload if you're interested"

you should actually review the thread before saying something snarky next time.

and avoid was the only one who had any issue with it and he did SUCH AN AMAZING JOB WITH IT too

etecoon

Smash Hero
being consistent with my earlier comments, yes, it shouldn't exist

but I'm an MK/Marth player so I don't understand you people anyway rofl

Personally, I think we could cut back on all stickies, then have people get directed to the single sticky directory. Put the thread in caps so people do not miss it either. It is so much easier to have only one thread to search for everything.

Underload

Lazy
uh, there was one error where one of the collapse tags was misplaced, and I said I was giving it up because I don't play snake now. lr2memory

exact quote since you apparently can't remember too well

"yeah I'm pretty unmotivated to work on this/search for vids seeing as I don't play snake at all...if you'd like to do it you're welcome to, PM underload if you're interested"

you should actually review the thread before saying something snarky next time.
This would be a great point, except I usually just edited out your mistakes without telling anybody. I would've felt bad, harping on you all the time about little changes, so I just did them myself. I also messaged you about making aesthetic changes once or twice.

And not everything I say is said on the forums. If I could bring up AIM conversations as evidence, I would now. Who's the one that can't remember details, again?

Also, barebones update to directory: adding color next. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10051370 What should I do with the titles? That's the part I'm stumped on.

Then, I am backing your earlier suggestion. Let us start a Snake Union united. Too bad UL is not here. It is impossible since he went invisible like I did.

Just make the thread title as obvious as you can make it. Short, loud, but not untouchable.

etecoon

Smash Hero
checked my logs, you could only bring up fabricated AIM convo's to mean anything rofl, you're petty enough that I wouldn't put it past you, but I don't really care anyway. I guess I've already been successfully trolled seeing as you made me do that as it is though

SuSa

You two shouldn't be fighting over such a trivial matter anyways.. especially you Underload, you didn't even have to call him out on the thread if that's true... either way it wasn't taken care of - so what's it matter.

That's the last I want to hear from that.

As far as titles for those threads go - make them blunt and related to what they are in the Directory. Don't go and actually change the thread titles (you can if you want), but rename to what is most applicable about them in the Directory. If you can't think of a clear enough title, add a description to it. Explain at the start of the directory about the title confusion so people don't report "so and so is linking to the wrong thread. titles different"

EDIT:
Etecoon, drop it. Nobody really gives a rats *** anyways. It's not hurting your reputation, and the board should know what's up if they even cared at all. You're only egging **** on.

I forgot to mention the matchup discussion; glad you left that stuck. I feel it helps keeping it updated easier if you don't have to go searching for it. =P

Also, FAQ can just be "Q&A" - and since we ARE in the Snake boards... do we really need "Snake" in the title for the Directory and such? I just now thought of that myself... feels like a clutter of title space... XD

EDIT 2:

Seriously etecoon. Drop the flaming ****.

EDIT 3:

Thank you sweety~

Underload

Lazy
Removed Hitbox+Frame data sticky if completed - add it to the directory if not there.

Remove the guide if not being updated - add to directory if not there.

Remove the video thread - I've never really seen the point of having a directory of videos... few people actually watch most of them, and hell - nobody really watches matches unless it was a recent tourney match that was at high levels of play. Anyone remember people asking if there were any _____ vs _____ matches? Yea.. no need for the thread. Anyways............

The video critique thread can become the 'unofficial' video database. If you care to have your videos organized you can maintain the video thread. :) But to be honest, it doesn't seem any regulars here ACTUALLY CARE for the video thread. So again, we can keep the critique thread just so we don't get 3,000,000 "How's mah Ekans" threads. This threads just around to keep the forum cleaner.

The F.A.Q can become a group project if people are willing to each record a certain question. If we got 4 people to be the first 4 posts and it was organized in some way for example, it's a lot less workload on one person. If one person stops updating, you can quote their post - add it to your own and update for them until they return or someone else wants to take over. It's definately not a one-man project, because whenever it is - it stops getting updated after a while. Also nobody actually reads through the FAQ and most questions are questions most Snake mains know to answer off the top of their head. A FAQ isn't really needed, but a nice Q&A thread wouldn't be bad - and would cut down on useless 1 question threads.

You may have noticed I basically removed every single sticky except 3 which are meant to cut down on the number of stickies - and number of useless threads made.

This cut-down ensures that people actually notice the directory. Right now it's below every other sticky and a lot of people only skim over the top two or three stickies.

The directory should be re-ordered in the following way:

1) Importance comes first. If the thread is really important and useful - it's on the top of the following groups:

Group 1 - Guides, How To's, and AT's [The Controllable Aspects of a Snake Main]

Group 2 - Data and Information [The Technicale Aspects of a Snake Main]

Group 3 - Interesting and Knowledgeable Reads [What the Wise Men have to say about Snake]

Group 4 - Other [Anything that does not fall under the last 3 categories]

How "Importance" is deemed:

1) Popularity - How many views/replies does it have? If everyones viewing it - it's something people want to see. This should go above something with 250 views and 4 replies.

2) How often is it asked about? - This applies more to data. The data we need to access quickest should be at the top of the list while minor things like my "how long c4/mines last" should be near the bottom.

3) How much information does it contain? - A huge thread that covers every single aspect of multiple things (EG: A Guide) should be above "How to DACUS"
Did some of this stuff. Still mostly bare bones, but how would you say it looks? http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272040

SuSa

Did some of this stuff. Still mostly bare bones, but how would you say it looks? http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272040
Quit making me do your job for you.

Specifics About Tech Chasing And The Down Throw (techchasing and dthrow)
Why is tech chasing and dthrow stated twice? Remove what's in the ()

Why is this here? If it's more updated than our current one, I can understand.. I also noticed you closed the other one. Also again with the (). Although I think this was for old search reasons?

Solid Snake's Hitbox And Frame Data - by Eternal Yoshi
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258332

The Solid Snake Matchup Thread - by Underload
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260102

The Snake Boards Stage Discussion - By 6Mizu
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258147
Matchups > Stages > Frame Data

I think there must be some term to describe this, as there is a word for everything with the english langauge. The fact that SuSa is dictating the snake boards without being in a position of power. wtf snake boards, get owned.

Besides, is there really anything worth adding? I think we got the idea of a single directory thread going right now.

etecoon

Smash Hero
susa is just that awesome <3

besides he's still the god**** president even if not a mod.

I'm gonna be active more often.

I've been gone for a long time because it started getting inactive here.

Underload

Lazy
Quit making me do your job for you.
No.

Why is tech chasing and dthrow stated twice? Remove what's in the ()
Some people spell it tech chase, other people spell it techchase. Some people call it down throw, while most refer to it as dthrow. If it's to be searchable, I need to have a lot of blanket terminology.

Why is this here? If it's more updated than our current one, I can understand.. I also noticed you closed the other one. Also again with the (). Although I think this was for old search reasons?
Laziness.

Matchups > Stages > Frame Data
Matchup thread is still stickied, and stages are still on the front page. That, and stages has more overall views.

Top Bottom