• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smokers Brawl (Minors NOW ALLOWED!)- 5/10/09 Newport News, VA

c3gill

Smash Ace
Lazy Dayz Presents: The Smoker's Brawl!

Date: May 10th, 2009
Yes I know APEX is the same weekend, this is for those of us unable to attend

Newport News, VA 23601

LIMITS TO ENTER!!- All ages are now welcome! After discussion with the owner, we have decided that anyone is welcome, but only people 18 and over will be allowed to smoke. There will be employees of Lazy Dayz working and playing at this tournament, so please do not try to smoke if you are under 18. Please bring some form of identification to prove your age, government issued is best. We will be marking the back of your hand if you are under 18, to ensure that no one accidentally passes you a hookah. :)

Additionally, there is a strict fire code capacity of 49 people in the building. To ensure your spot- SHOW UP ON TIME. We are doing a small pre-registration, so if you don't preregister and you show up when registration starts, your chances of being left out are minimalized.

Prices:
$10 Venue Fee
$10 Singles Fee
$20 Doubles Fee ($10 per person)

If you are interested in purchasing a hookah to smoke at the tournament, prices range from $6.00 to $15.00, depending on the shisha you are purchasing. For any in-depth questions, feel free to PM me. Lazy Dayz also has drinks and snacks available for purchase.

Schedule:
Registration from 11:00 am to 11:45 am
Introductions at 11:50 am
Doubles from 12:00 until finished (1:30 goal)
15 minute, possibly larger intermission
Singles until finished (5:00 goal)
MMs and friendlys, and chill time until 6

Payout: All money that is used to enter the tournament, barring the venue fee(duh), will be used in the pot.

For Singles and Doubles-
1st- 60% of pot
2nd- 30% of pot
3rd- 10% of pot

Basic Rules:
  • There will be No refunds.
  • If you choose not to enter the tournament, you are still taking up space- you will be required to pay the venue fee.
  • Brawl will NOT be loaded via the homebrew channel. Additionally, no one will be allowed to have an SD card in the Wii during the match. If your opponent agrees, you may save the match via SD card once your match is complete. If you want to save your matches and feel they will go over 3 minutes, bring a handycam or something and have a friend record the match for you.
  • Trash Talk all you want, but respect other people and their limits. If someone asks you to stop, please respect their wishes. Also, do not disturb people during a match- leave them to concentrate (no coaching during the match and set). However, don’t get angry when Jay apologizes for spanking you with that #9 :)
  • You are responsible for your own controller and controls. Be sure to have any specific control scheme you may be using in before your game begins.
  • Any destruction of anyone’s property will NOT BE TOLERATED. This includes Lazy Dayz! If we feel you are breaking this, you will be asked to leave.
  • No illegal substances. We will also not tolerate alcohol on the property.
  • Listen to the people running the tournament, and the associates of Lazy Dayz- If we ask you to do something and you ignore us, you will be asked to leave.
  • HAVE FUN! This is a mingling of culture, so sit back, relax, take a puff of smoke, and enjoy the tournament.

Singles Rules:
  • 3 Stock
  • 7 Minute Timer
  • Items are set to "off" and "none"
  • Pausing will not be tolerated, barring extreme circumstances. If you feel you are being cheated on this, call one of the organizers over to discuss. Pausing generally means a forfeit of that game- not the set.
  • NO STALLING. If I catch you stalling, you will be disqualified from the tournament. Stalling can be defined as the act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is.
  • For Planking, we are using a modified version of the Japanese rule: 50.
  • Standing Infinite’s are banned. This includes but is not limited to Dedede’s small step chain grab and Marth on Ness grab release. Infinite Chain Grabs are banned.
  • Sets are best of 3, Losers, Winners, and Grand Finals best of 5
  • For controller port disputes, Rock paper scissors that hoe.
  • If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
  • If time runs out, the winner will be decided by stock, then percent. If both player have the same stock and percent when time runs out, OR the match ends in a tie (after the suicide rule is taken into account)- there will be a 1-stock overtime, to be played on the same stage as the previous game.
  • You may not counter pick a stage you have already won on earlier that set.
  • All common rules that are not explicitly mentioned are implied, unless otherwise noted by the tournament organizer.
  • As this is a relaxed environment and tournament, if you and your opponent agree to additional rules, or ignoring a rule, that is acceptable- HOWEVER, you MUST get approval of one of the tournament organizers. This is to ensure that everyone is having fun, and everything is fair.

Doubles Rules:
  • Stock Sharing is allowed.
  • Team Attack is on.
  • Color Blind Rule is in effect (if someone chooses a character that is very effected by color, that team can request said color)
  • Same Rules and Stages as singles.
  • If an issue, ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

Stages:

Neutral:

• Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counter pick:

• Delfino Plaza
  • Castle Siege
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Battleship Halberd
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Norfair
  • Brinstar
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Jungle Japes
  • Pictochat
  • Green Greens
  • Pirate Ship

Set Format:

1. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
2. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
3. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Both Singles and Doubles will be Double Elimation.

Preregistration:

We are preregistering 15 people- these first 15 people (total 13 preregistered as of now) are guaranteed a spot in the tournament, and will recieve $3 off any one hookah purchase on the day of the tournament. If you wish to preregister, please either:

send a PM to me(c3gill), either on this site or All is Brawl
send an email to either c3gill@gmail.com or jay.sedwick@gmail.com
or go into Lazy Dayz and tell an employee you wish to preregister.

If anyone has anymore questions about Lazy Dayz, its employees, or this tournament, feel free to PM me.

The Smokers Brawl: All is Brawl link!

c3gill

Smash Ace
ok so i am gonna go ahead and rig the tournament to fight those 3 in my first rounds ^^^^ show them who the "noobs" are @ this tournament :laugh: - no, but yall, i appreciate the enthuasiam!

tanookijumpsuit

Smash Rookie
dude, you know i'm stoked. can't wait to kick some *** and smoke some hoog. i'll put in a request to be off the 10th today.

ChuDat

Smash Master
This tournament sounds awesome. Hookah AND Brawl O.O? I might go. If there are at least 30 people then I'll go 100% for sure

Greg, teams?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

c3gill

Smash Ace
I knew the age limit would be an issue for someone :ohwell: Its something that i cant get around, as the tournament is in a hookah lounge. im sorry nacker- hopefully this one will go well and Ill see you at the next.

Chu and G-reg, it would be great to see yall there. Im shooting for about 35 people (lots of locals), give or take a few- Hopefully we have 30+ and yall both can make it!

c3gill

Smash Ace
hopefully were at capacity for this tourney im realy lookin forward to it
Id like to see more people- Its about 3 weeks away still, so when i come in town tonight ima talk to some people and see if we cant boost participation in this thing. Id like 35ish people, capacity on Lazy Dayz would be awesome.

Needs more cowbell people!

KyleVA

Smash Rookie
Man, I stopped playing Smash Brothers (pretty much) when Brawl came out. But I live right on the other side of the Monitor Merrimack.

Seems like an opportunity to get worked @ SMASH BROTHERS & smoke some hookah. Let me see if I can get my practice up.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i flippped when i saw this lmfao. my friend smokes hookah all the time and we love smash but im only 16 hes 18 tho =D ima show him this and hell prolly go since hes vacation in florida right now. this is soo funny tho smoking and brawl lol only this community...

c3gill

Smash Ace
Updated and whatnot- atm I have counted 36 people "with interest", 10 definate people are confirmed and preregistered- so im assuming about 24ish people coming as of now, before employees and people assisting me with the tournament :). still want more peoples!!!!

ttocs

Smash Rookie
I'll be going as long as something doesn't come up.

toasty, please find a way to go. i miss you :)

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
omg...I'm ********.

this is on a sunday.

I have work every sunday at the business I manage and I'm already having someone cover me this weekend so I can take care of the people I'm housing saturday night after my tourney >_>

faaaaaaaaaaaack

maybe I'll still drop by and play with some flavor clouds ^_^

and daaaamn Scott miss you too buddy

c3gill

Smash Ace
that sucks, man- if you get the opportunity, you should stop by after work.

Im really looking forward to this, a little over 2 weeks... its gonna be awesome!

ClownOfGod

Smash Rookie
Question:
I know you have to be 18 to smoke or whatever, but I have a buddy who doesn't smoke and he's 17, and he wants to play. Can an exception be made?

c3gill

Smash Ace
Question:
I know you have to be 18 to smoke or whatever, but I have a buddy who doesn't smoke and he's 17, and he wants to play. Can an exception be made?
EDIT: IF YOU ARE UNDERAGE, YOU CAN COME!

we will be marking the back of your hand with an X, kinda like @ clubs/concerts, to ensure that you do not smoke. Its the law, we can let you come but you must abide by all legal regulations.

I am really happy about this!

c3gill

Smash Ace
ONLY A WEEK AWAY! IM ****ING EXCITED!

plus, im coming back home tomorrow night :)

c3gill

Smash Ace
Toasty : where you live? my best friend lives @ the corner of Kellam and 48th.

And I have lived about half my life on Sinclair St, a Street off Granby, near Granby HS.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
LOL wow so close, I live on the corner of Bolling Ave. and Jamestown Crescent, which is physically the same street as Colley Ave. but Colley ends at the bridge and Jamestown Cres. starts at the other end of the bridge [which is RIGHT where my family lives]

ClownOfGod

Smash Rookie
Another question. Will the blind pick be for the first round of the off bracket as well?

Top Bottom