• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smasher's Ballad: Urbosa, Daruk, and Revali

D

Deleted member

Sorry for the double post - I just finished Ravioli's recolors.

That was TOUGH! Revali, why do you have so many accessories? I used his amiibo model, but I think these turned out ok. At least interesting.

View attachment 140611

1. Standard (blue team)
  2. Based on Teba
  3. Based on Harth
  4. Based on Kass
  5. Based on Medli
  6. A version wearing Link's green tunic (green team)
  7. Based on Windblight Ganon's color scheme (red team)
  8. Falco. Because of course.
Enjoy. I'll give Daruk a go next, once I work up the strength to try this again.
The Windblight Ganon color is my favorite out of these. Looking forward to Daruk's color's. It'd be cool to see you do one some colors for Mipha in Luminario's thread too.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I like how much thought you put into picking colors. It's something Sakurai would do, which makes it all the better.

I want all the Champions now tbh.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Daruk recolors are ready to roll!

Easy enough to make the color changes, but tough to pick designs due to the lack of differences (i.e. clothes) among Gorons. I tried to stick to just recolors and not adding patterns, and that made this one more difficult than expected. The basic ones turned out a lot better than I'd expected though.

daruk colors.png

1. Default (blue team)
  2. Based on Darunia with added sash (he is the Sage of Fire, after all...) Gold is from Goron's ruby (red team)
  3. Based on Link's transformation (green team)
  4. Based on Darmani's ghost
  5. Based on the Frost Talus enemies, and the fact that Snowhead is under...well, snow.
  6. Based on Fyrus
  7. Based on King Dodongo
  8. Based on Golem. The Pokémon. Because it's a rock, and it rolls...? I added some coloration from its Alola form
And yeah, I can't break up a set, and I already have Mipha ideas in mind.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Daruk recolors are ready to roll!

Easy enough to make the color changes, but tough to pick designs due to the lack of differences (i.e. clothes) among Gorons. I tried to stick to just recolors and not adding patterns, and that made this one more difficult than expected. The basic ones turned out a lot better than I'd expected though.

View attachment 140883
  1. Default (blue team)
  2. Based on Darunia with added sash (he is the Sage of Fire, after all...) Gold is from Goron's ruby (red team)
  3. Based on Link's transformation (green team)
  4. Based on Darmani's ghost
  5. Based on the Frost Talus enemies, and the fact that Snowhead is under...well, snow.
  6. Based on Fyrus
  7. Based on King Dodongo
  8. Based on Golem. The Pokémon. Because it's a rock, and it rolls...? I added some coloration from its Alola form
And yeah, I can't break up a set, and I already have Mipha ideas in mind.
Love the Frost Talus and Dodongo. Great work as always

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Now that we know every previous fighter is returning in SSBU, mine hopes for Revali have all but evaporated--especially given the amount of Zelda characters already in the game. And like a previous poster said, the four champions would probably come as an all-or-nothing deal. If only one champion was added, people would likely complain that their favourite champion wasn't chosen.

That said, at this point I'll be satisfied with Revali, Mipha, Daruk, and Urbosa being Assist Trophies, or regular trophies.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Now that we know every previous fighter is returning in SSBU, mine hopes for Revali have all but evaporated--especially given the amount of Zelda characters already in the game. And like a previous poster said, the four champions would probably come as an all-or-nothing deal. If only one champion was added, people would likely complain that their favourite champion wasn't chosen.

That said, at this point I'll be satisfied with Revali, Mipha, Daruk, and Urbosa being Assist Trophies, or regular trophies.
The four champions as Assist Trophies would be the most likely scenario. But if we actually did get a Champion as an Echo Fighter then I would love to get Urbosa as an Echo for Ganondorf. Both Urbosa and Ganon are tall, strong Gerudos with magic and a sword (especially now that Ganon uses one in Ultimate), and honeslty Urbosa with Ganon's move set wouldn't look out of place at all. Her lightning magic would replace Ganon's dark magic and it's cosmetic effects, literally making her Ganonchu (if you're aware of that Ganon mod). And Ganon's Warlock punch or his side special could stun you while inflicting a good amount of damage.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I don't think a single Link clone being added ruins the chances of a newcomer, so don't give up on Revali just yet.

Besides, all four Champions managed to avoid being stuffed into Zelda's moveset and a BotW stage. Seeing how we already know 29 of the 50-59 Assist Trophies, the odds of all four becoming an AT is incredibly low.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I get the impression this smash is suppose to have a long life, with plenty of after game content. Do you think the champions have decent chances of being DLC? It's about the only way I could see all four getting in seperately as full characters.

I don't think a single Link clone being added ruins the chances of a newcomer, so don't give up on Revali just yet.

Besides, all four Champions managed to avoid being stuffed into Zelda's moveset and a BotW stage. Seeing how we already know 29 of the 50-59 Assist Trophies, the odds of all four becoming an AT is incredibly low.
Actually, I think you could make clones of all four, but maybe not Echo fighters. This is something I came up with a month ago.

Urbosa as a half-clone of Link. She can use BOTW equivalent weapons compared to Link's. Save for the bombs, instead she has her fury. Also she has a normal grab instead of a hook-shot.

Durak as a half-clone of Bowser. More rolling than spinning, he has no fire breath, but his protection instead. It acts as reflector shield whilst making him immune to damage while up. Punching, headbutting, drop-kicking and slamming right down from the air suit his powerful build. Also he pulls his weapon out for taunts. Ganondorf is not impressed.

Mipha as a half-clone of Palutena. Spinning her spear on magical water, she can also slap people with the H2O for smashes, vaguely like the wings. A jet of water for the up-smash and an ice wall for the reflector. No auto reticule, but instead she charges her grace and when finished, bestows herself with reduced knockback for the next five hits.

Revali as a half-clone of Decidueye. No ghost moves or grass moves, but wind moves for similar affects. A better flier than the pokemon, he has more end lag on his moves but is far more mobile. Also sass, lots of sass. Sass for days.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I get the impression this smash is suppose to have a long life, with plenty of after game content. Do you think the champions have decent chances of being DLC? It's about the only way I could see all four getting in seperately as full characters.

Actually, I think you could make clones of all four, but maybe not Echo fighters. This is something I came up with a month ago.
I still don't really expect any of the champions to make it on their own terms - but if they added all four as DLC this way, it'd be great. It wouldn't take much dev time and would allow us to get them all. Buy three characters get one free!

Oh, and in case anybody wants them, I've also got minimalist character icons for all four champions:

Plus some smaller versions that fit the height of the icons on the boards. Now all of the champions can be together! :ultlink::ultzelda:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Funny how just about all the Champions I'd like to be in are discussed in this thread... Sorry Mipha, I just don't think you're as viable as the rest. Revali is also slightly more lacking compared to the rest, but I'd love to see either Daruk or Urbosa. Maybe Urbosa a little more out of personal interesst, and her lightning powers would be very cool to have. Plus, I just love the Gerudo in BotW, and I'd love a woman of color in Smash Bros for diversity sake.

D

Deleted member

I'm tagging Altais Altais in this post because I just realized a good point that works in Revali's favor.

We know that one of the things Sakurai and team look for in new Smash Characters is unique potential. And that has caused some people to not think Revali is as likely as he could be because of the whole upright bird archer niche being covered by Decidueye who also had the advantages of being arguably more prominent and having the edge in unique potential that a Grass-Type Pokemon would have.

But the thing is though, now that Ivysaur is back, we have those plant based powers that come with a grass type again. And Revali would very likely have some wind based powers that we don't have at all in Smash yet aside from Robin's Up B.

It makes you wonder, would that be enough for them to pick Revali for the bird archer instead of Decidueye?

R.O.B.B.E.D

Smash Rookie
I told myself I wouldn't get my hopes up for any newcomers to a Smash Bros game since I know I will just be disappointed. But I can't stop myself from REALLY wanting the Champions. I love them all and each one of them is a fresh face that represents a game that revolutionized the franchise.

They might be one-off characters, but they represent races that are integral to the franchise. Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are central, but the games wouldn't be what they are without the Zora, Goron, Rito, and Gerudo. The Champions are a perfect opportunity to add a representative of these important pieces of world-building and their potential moveset would reflect this history.

Ideally, all four would make it in the game but this seems like the least likely scenario.

An option might be to create a moveset that combines elements from all four champions and making each Champion a sort-of skin. This sounds like a hit-box impossibility given the different builds Daruk and Mipha would have, for example. But maybe there is a way around this?

Another option would be to make the Champion a character like Pokemon Trainer, allowing players to switch between each of the four. Pokemon trainer came out in Brawl, the Champion would be a cool way to top something done so long ago with four options now.

The last option would be to include one Champion and not the other three. They feel like a package, but so do the starter pokemon and Greninja is in the game and Charizard was solo in Smash 4.

One last thing that gives me one speck of hope is that the champions have amiibos already so Nintendo wouldn't have to make one for them. I would honestly cry if any of these options came to be.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
An option might be to create a moveset that combines elements from all four champions and making each Champion a sort-of skin. This sounds like a hit-box impossibility given the different builds Daruk and Mipha would have, for example. But maybe there is a way around this?
I'd considered this. If Mipha were scaled up, it'd work with those three. Daruk would be the issue.

Each race does have its whole set of the four champion weapons and the four abilities would map beautifully to each of the four specials. It's no problem to come up with a moveset of normals to use all four of the weapons. Again, the only issue with them sharing a slot would be Daruk's figure. Now if they wanted to cheap out on DLC, they could do that all-in-one moveset and then release the four champions as clones of each other, but then since they're different characters they could have different hitbox sizes and weights, and even different taunts or idles if you wanted, for a fraction of the dev time.

Another option would be to make the Champion a character like Pokemon Trainer, allowing players to switch between each of the four. Pokemon trainer came out in Brawl, the Champion would be a cool way to top something done so long ago with four options now.
Ooh, hadn't considered that. I like transformations, but I know that a lot of people don't. Still, fun concept.

R.O.B.B.E.D

Smash Rookie
I love the idea of all four characters being clones of each other with their own hit-boxes, weight, speed, etc.

Does the information that Ultimate's plan was made in 2015 kill any chances? :(

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I love the idea of all four characters being clones of each other with their own hit-boxes, weight, speed, etc.

Does the information that Ultimate's plan was made in 2015 kill any chances? :(
Botw was developed internally in nintendo, started development in 2012 and was announced in 2014 so I'm sure sakurai could have known anything about it.
It's also been almost 2 decades since Zelda has gotten a new original moveset character, which it only has 3.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Fun idea I had last night - what if the champions ended up as a pseudo-transformation character?

It really makes no sense for the champions to all appear in the game since that's 4 unique newcomers and people would go ape**** if any one series got that. But it also makes no sense for only one of the champions to come in alone (but if that happened to be Urbosa, I wouldn't mind)

So lets give each champion their own set of normals, but then keep the idea of specials unique to each. Every time you use a special, the champion switches, sort of like how Robin switches to his Levin sword when he uses a Smash attack. Each champion's speed/weight/height are different so the hitboxes change (Daruk is large, heavy, and slow, etc.). Maybe they could also share things like throws (a second champion comes out to toss the victim and stays out) too.

NeutralB changes the character to Daruk and performs Daruk's protection, which acts like Zelda's neutral B
UpB changes the character to Revali and performs Revali's gale, and then allows him to glide a bit.
SideB changes the character to Urbosa and performs Urbosa's Fury, which acts like Zelda's fireball
DownB changes the character to Mipha and performs Mipha's Grace, which is a WFT-like healing move.

Now, I could see these switching a bit (if you wanted Daruk's protection to act like Rollout for a side, or Urbosa's to be netural and act as in game) sependinf on which is best for a neutral since Kirby will get that one.

It'd be a cool way to reference the four-in-one of the champions in the first place, and then they're not bloating the roster, but everyone gets their favorite in.

R.O.B.B.E.D

Smash Rookie
I agree that some kind of transformation would be the best option. I was thinking more like Pokemon Trainer but your idea would be more unique to the Champion, if the Switch can handle so many transformations.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I agree that some kind of transformation would be the best option. I was thinking more like Pokemon Trainer but your idea would be more unique to the Champion, if the Switch can handle so many transformations.
Maybe merge both ideas? Instead of the Champions switching with down b they can be switched by holding shield and B, because it's a new special input introduced for Inkling and there's no rule stating that other fighters can perform this as well. Plus with this way the champions each don't lose a special attack.

Or we can keep it simple and copy paste the new PKMN Trainer down b buff for the Champions.

Last edited:

R.O.B.B.E.D

Smash Rookie
Shield + B would give the Champions a unique input and they wouldn't have to sacrifice Down B.

I was also thinking the Champions could be designed in their spirit forms. They would look more ephemeral, which might make them easier to render and switch between the four.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think a transformation gimmick suits the Champions all that well, or at least not as good as PT or alter-egos of characters (Sheik and ZSS). Honestly, if Sakurai is gonna go through the trouble to create 4 unique models and a few select animations for each one, he might as well make the Champions 4 separate characters.

Anyways, a lot of important Zelda characters have recently bit the dust, yet all four Champions are still standing strong. I'm still feeling pretty good about their odds.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've actually been thinking a lot about all four champions as low-effort DLC character conglomerates. I feel like the community will be up in arms if all four get a lot of dev time spent on them (it's okay for some series to have loads of representation with few games, but not Zelda evidently?), but each can use some animations for other characters as bases to be made. Semi-clones if you will...

Urbosa looks like she could take from Link easily, but she's more of a dancer and thus would be able to use some of Marth's or the Mii Swordsman's swordplay as well. Add to that Palutena's shield attacks and counter, and she'd work decently well. Specials could be a rising attack like Shulk's, a counter like Palutena's or Marth's, a lightning-version of Zelda's Din's Fire, and something like Pikachu's Thunder Burst with Ness's PSI Magnet visuals.

Revali could take a lot of his archery moves from Pit or Link, which would make for easy specials. Also, Falco could serve as a base for a lot of his normals. You've got Charizard's Fly for an up special, the Links' bows for neutral, just add bomb arrows to it (or even other arrow types), and a good side special could just be a charge like Palutena's Angelic Missile.

Daruk would need to borrow from the heavier characters, so he could take a lot from Bowser and DK (especially that rolling dash attack). Give him some stuff from Dedede and Ike for the swordplay, and he's good. Specials could be Zelda's Dins fire, Dedede's jump, Bowser's pound, and Ike's Unyielding Blade

Mipha's is the toughest since there aren't really spearmen in the cast, but she's not really a fighter anyway. She'd make a pretty good Palutena from all of those staff moves, and could adopt a few of Zelda's, Peach's, or Wii Fit Trainer's normals otherwise. Specials for her could be a healing down special like WFT's, Squirtle's Waterfall as an up special, an ice-themed Explosive Flame from Paly, and a neutral Paly's Heavenly Light retextured to look like rain, which does chip damage and heals Mipha.

It'd be tough to bring in one without the other three, so I think this would be great if they all took low dev time just to get all of them.

But what I really want....one more Hyrule Warriors DLC with these guys!

R.O.B.B.E.D

Smash Rookie
I would be happy if they got in as low-effort DLC that borrows bits from other characters. It's unrealistic to expect all four to get a lot of energy and time devoted to them so if they all made it in they would need to find shortcuts.

The more I play the DLC, the more I like the suggestion that Kass be the character that uses the Champion's powers. It would make sense for LInk to be the one to use the Champions' powers, but I do not want a fourth Link.
Kass wrote the Champions' songs and is very much inspired by them. That inspiration could be translated as giving him powers in Smash
If this were the case, I'd want each of his special moves to manifest the spirit of a Champion as part of the animation for the moves.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Welp, I decided to change my sig around, and that meant making a new thing for Urbosa.

And even though I support her the most, it doesn't feel right to give her an awesome UI mockup and not give it to the rest, so...

ChampIcon_Daruk.png
ChampIcon_Mipha.png

UrbosaIcon.png
ChampIcon_Revali.png

Imagine a four-champion Smash with all of these!

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I kind of secretly hope that dlc will mean all four will get in the roster as separate characters in a 'breath the wild bundle', that comes with a stage too.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I made one for Mipha on her page so I made the rest of the Champions here for you guys. My personal favorite is Daruk since I've always wanted a Goron in Smash since I was a kid
Daruk Smash Ultimate.JPG

Revali Smash Ultimate.JPG

Urbosa Smash Ultimate.JPG

Last edited:

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
I just love this post
Would they be a pokemon trainer like fighter???

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I just love this post
Would they be a pokemon trainer like fighter???
If we could get all four champions as a Pokémon Trainer-like fighter, that would be beyond incredible.

People would complain that there's too much Zelda representation, but I'll be biased and say it deserves it. Plus then they only take one slot.

I could see Daruk being heavy/slow/tank with faster falling than Fox, Mipha would be the small/light/weak one with disjointed hitboxes, Revali's the floaty/featherweight/zoner, and Urbosa would bring the speed.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
If we could get all four champions as a Pokémon Trainer-like fighter, that would be beyond incredible.

People would complain that there's too much Zelda representation, but I'll be biased and say it deserves it. Plus then they only take one slot.

I could see Daruk being heavy/slow/tank with faster falling than Fox, Mipha would be the small/light/weak one with disjointed hitboxes, Revali's the floaty/featherweight/zoner, and Urbosa would bring the speed.
I like that idea and if you say ZELDA HAS TOO MANY FIGHTER
CHECK FIRE EMBLEM FIRST

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216

I want this to happen so badly. If not in the base roster then possibly as a DLC set. I just hope the Champions don't end up as Assist Trophies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Datamines suggest there could be 10 more DLC characters coming aside from the six we already know.

While this is hardly official, how do you think the Champions would do in a second DLC pack? If Nintendo/Sakurai wants to focus on adding some more modern characters from Switch games, I feel like they have a genuinely decent shot at getting in.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Figured I'd bump this old thread since my hype for Urbosa is building. Even if none of them get in Smash, we finally have playable Champions in a LOZ game :D

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Why is there not a combined thread for all 4 champions? Can we combine this with the Mipha thread or something? It just doesn't feel right to discuss them separately. Or if we're gonna discuss them separately, we could at least give them each their own thread.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Why is there not a combined thread for all 4 champions? Can we combine this with the Mipha thread or something? It just doesn't feel right to discuss them separately. Or if we're gonna discuss them separately, we could at least give them each their own thread.
It's up to the Mipha thread whether or not they want to merge, I think

Top Bottom