• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash Wii U/3DS Social 7.0

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
"Only" 20 stages was a lot more acceptable as a problem back when Star Fox 64 had its debut (even so, that says nothing of its replayability).

The other problem with Zero was it was being heralded as the long awaited "return to form" for Star Fox, given the last release before it was Star Fox 64 3D (aside from being an enhanced remake, perpetuated the "Nintendo keeps re-releasing/only cares about SF64" attitude), and before that Star Fox Command, neither of which really did as well as fans would have liked.

Seeing it be so limited while still retaining the full $60 price (somewhat compensated by bundling in Star Fox Guard, but not many really cared about it either) left many feeling it wasn't worth the wait, much less the price. Then you take into account that there's hardly any incentive for "completion of the game" (IIRC, the only unlockables were Sound Test/Arcade mode) or any real additional features (amiibo support was neat, but felt lackluster, and of course there's the whole "no multiplayer" bit that fans were disappointed about since the first E3 we even heard of the game being in the works), so for most it was a beat it once-and-done deal.

Personally I appreciated the game for what it was. But I would hope they go another direction for the series rather than just "enhanced Switch port."

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
IsmaR IsmaR : Again, one of the biggest problems with Star Fox Zero is that there's only one route to Venom. Star Fox 64 had two different routes to Venom, and taking the harder route made you face Star Wolf, followed by the real Andross; the easy route to Venom only pits you against an easy Andross imposter.

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
Why do I feel like smash 4 on the Switch would be bad for the community?

To my understanding, almost everyone in the smash 4 community uses a gamecube controller. And if Smash Bros. for Switch gets any significant stuff exclusive to it (basically just a new character), then that would make it the go-to game for smash tournaments, right?

but the Switch doesn't have any Gamecube ports, does it?

Luig

Confused
Why do I feel like smash 4 on the Switch would be bad for the community?

To my understanding, almost everyone in the smash 4 community uses a gamecube controller. And if Smash Bros. for Switch gets any significant stuff exclusive to it (basically just a new character), then that would make it the go-to game for smash tournaments, right?

but the Switch doesn't have any Gamecube ports, does it?
I mean the usb adapter will probably work
The wii U had no gamecube ports and there's an adapter
I just hope that the same wii u adapter works so you don't need to buy a new one

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Danganronpa v3 wastes no time pulling the rug from under you then wrapping it around your neck and hang you from your ceiling fan.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I went to preorder Dragon Quest VIII and Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 today. EB Games was having a massive sale so I walked out with Rise of the Tomb Raider for half price and Fallout 4 and Doom in a 2 for 1 deal.

Good thing I already got FFXV out of the way as I'm going to be very busy this month.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I mean the usb adapter will probably work
The wii U had no gamecube ports and there's an adapter
I just hope that the same wii u adapter works so you don't need to buy a new one
I haven't seen any GCN controller adapters at any retail stores lately; they're about as scarce as the NES Classic Edition systems now.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
They're changing their name to Altaba as part of being acquired by Verizon.

It's the end of an era.
So what happens to my yahoo mail address? Does it change to @altaba.com or does it stay as yahoo?
The "Yahoo" brand name isn't going anywhere: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/09/yahoo-altaba-no-name-change-marissa-mayer
Only the part of Yahoo not being sold to Verizon is being renamed to "Altaba". This part is basically only the company's investments, such as its shares in Alibaba. The search engine, email service, etc. are being "integrated" into AOL; I'm not sure if that means they'll drop the Yahoo name (which is being retained for other stuff like their sports news), but it's unlikely that existing email addresses are being changed, and even if they are, your old address should still work, as a forwarder to the new one.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So...I may want to vent a little here.

So I found out that over the last couple of years, several people I know who are in my age group at my church are leaving and moving out of states for jobs, kids, etc. Just found out a former professor of mine who I'm friends with is moving next year, and there are several others planning to move too. I guess I'm taking it a little more personal than I should because there's so many people come and go, which I understand is a part of life. It just sucks when so many people you know and love have to leave.

jarbAin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4124-6082-4371
I went to preorder Dragon Quest VIII
This makes me wonder, why won't I ever pre-order/purchase games in time when they are still relevant. I'd probably love Dragon Quest VIII, and it would be worth every penny, but still for some reason I insist on hanging on to my money, only to keep it collecting dust, and then drooling over great games I'll never have because I won't buy them. Am I stupid?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This makes me wonder, why won't I ever pre-order/purchase games in time when they are still relevant. I'd probably love Dragon Quest VIII, and it would be worth every penny, but still for some reason I insist on hanging on to my money, only to keep it collecting dust, and then drooling over great games I'll never have because I won't buy them. Am I stupid?
It's the safe and sceptical approach, I'd say. Only buying what you absolutely need.

JinKid

Smash Rookie
How about we just talk about those bombs? Or that movement. You guys are pretty good though, for smash players. And street fighter playErs are still weak

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Rumors are fake. Fire Emblem Warriors was something I kind of wanted and is actually happening!

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
Fire Emblem Warriors! I've always wanted this ever since Hyrule Warriors. It makes sense and thats why I predicted it happening. FE is really the only other Nintendo franchise you can make a dynasty warriors style game out of (that I can think of/know of) since it has many units and characters to choose from that engage in combat. And the story would be amazing, to see all of the FE worlds/kingdoms and characters interact with each other.
I want to see ALL if not most of the main Lords - especially my boys Marth, Ike, Hector, and Ephraim. And its obvious there will be fan favorites - but I also hope for more obscure characters to get some spotlight in the game.
I would like to see characters like Owain, Joshua, Jaffar, Caeda, Florina, Ninian, Mia, Titania, the list goes on. There are so many characters that could be in the game. And the characters don't have to necessarily fighters either - Ninian for example could work out somehow even though she's a dancer. Hyrule Warriors made it work with characters that don't fight, like Tingle lol. I'm just afraid that it'll be mostly fan favorites and known characters. Which is fine, but I want to see more obscure characters and unexpected picks. Hyrule Warriors has some unexpected characters.

Man, I'm so hyped.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Fire Emblem Warriors! I've always wanted this ever since Hyrule Warriors. It makes sense and thats why I predicted it happening. FE is really the only other Nintendo franchise you can make a dynasty warriors style game out of (that I can think of/know of) since it has many units and characters to choose from that engage in combat. And the story would be amazing, to see all of the FE worlds/kingdoms and characters interact with each other.
I want to see ALL if not most of the main Lords - especially my boys Marth, Ike, Hector, and Ephraim. And its obvious there will be fan favorites - but I also hope for more obscure characters to get some spotlight in the game.
I would like to see characters like Owain, Joshua, Jaffar, Caeda, Florina, Ninian, Mia, Titania, the list goes on. There are so many characters that could be in the game. And the characters don't have to necessarily fighters either - Ninian for example could work out somehow even though she's a dancer. Hyrule Warriors made it work with characters that don't fight, like Tingle lol. I'm just afraid that it'll be mostly fan favorites and known characters. Which is fine, but I want to see more obscure characters and unexpected picks. Hyrule Warriors has some unexpected characters.

Man, I'm so hyped.
I think they should add the character from Awakening that's always forgotten by everyone.

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
I think they should add the character from Awakening that's always forgotten by everyone.
Kellam? Well he is forgotten but at the same time he's not. Being forgotten and not noticed by the characters in the game makes him popular. He's a fan favorite lol
But if he was in the game he should have an ability to become invisible haha

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Man, I can't wait to get my hands on Breath of the Wild. It'll be a great game for me to play during my summer break alongside 100% completing Hyrule Warriors. Maybe I'll even try to record a plalythrough.

That is, if I manage to survive the Minefield of Spoilers before I get my hands on the game.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Switch looks alright. Still not entrely interested in buying it tho, as the only real system seller for me is Zelda, and I can get that on my WiiU. Need to see more of that Mario

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The $300 price tag is... okay. No much to say.
The Joycon is designed pretty well.
The rumble and immersion feature was a little hard to grasp. I'm not sure what he meant by being able to sense 1-3 ice cubes in a glass. :confused:
The introduction to 1-2 Switch made think it was Wild Gunman HD at first. :laugh:
The introduction to ARMS was just what the heck.
SPLATOON 2! Looks pretty nice for a sequel, but it's obviously reusing the engine and assets. (Not necessarily a bad thing.)
Super Mario Odyssey aka Grand Theft Mario :p - Initial reaction: WTF is Mario doing in a city. I seriously hope it doesn't become the next Sunshine due to its weirdness. Riding a lion tho. The setting and bosses are really... not Mario. Let's see how this pans out.
Monolith Soft Logo - Oh God, Xenoblade 3? Okay... so this is Xenoblade 2? >_>
OH MY GOODNESS. Fire Emblem Warriors. YES YES YES YES.
Damn, 80 games. That's really good.
Okay, Shin Megami Tensei 25th anniversary was good.
The new Squeenix RPG looks good too.
What's with the SEGA presentor's outfit?
Good to see Switchrim confirmed.
Suda51 is one weird person. Okay, Travis Touchdown huh? Okay.
Oh wow, wasn't expecting EA to be there. And wow, didn't know Bill Trinen speaks Japanese. He sounds so natural too.
Alright, so FIFA is coming to Switch. yaaaay....
We didn't see the Sonic game or the futuristic racer (is that Fasr racing Neo? Or F-Zero?
Satoru Shibata's Engrish is great. :p
When Reggie said there's something in the air and social media is buzzing, I admittedly thought of politics. Sorry.
Huh, Miyamoto acknowledged the thumbs up meme. lol
BOTW looks amazing. I really felt like I was watching an adventure anime, I'll be honest. :laugh: Oh God, it's a launch tile too.
So we have three vast open world games - Skyrim, BOTW and Xenoblade. That's pretty impressive.

Overall, Fire Emblem Warriors was the best thing for me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All that I know is that I'll have to hold off on getting the Nintendo Switch until later during the year. Sadly, I doubt that the price will be dropping by next Christmas.

Also, it almost sounds like the Nintendo Network isn't coming back, which would be quite disappointing if it turns out that the online services for the 3DS and Wii U are being discontinued. Nintendo released Pokemon Sun & Moon just a few months ago, and it would just be a stupid move to discontinue the 3DS's online services, just because the company is moving forward.

And of course, no Nintendo Network means no eShop, nor Miiverse.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
20xx, the only game at evo is Arms. These are dark times...

I'm pretty hyped for Splatoon 2, SMT, Zelda and whatever suda51 is cooking (please be no more heroes 3).

Kinda dissapointed on the launch library tho, only Zelda and 1-2 switch. Also sad that are they using the awful hd graphics for the Street Fighter 2 remake.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
The rumble and immersion feature was a little hard to grasp. I'm not sure what he meant by being able to sense 1-3 ice cubes in a glass. :confused:
You'd have to hold the controller for yourself in order to fully understand, but I think I can explain it. With this HD Rumble, instead of just feeling the entire controller vibrate, it vibrates in specific places in order to simulate the sensation. When Yoshiaki said you could feel an ice cube being shaken or put in the glass, he meant exactly that.
HD Rumble.png

When this ice cube hits the sides of the glass, you would feel that spot on the controller rumble.
Now for a hypothetical example:

Suppose Metroid Prime 4 came out on Switch. You get to the point in the game where you collect the charge beam, and you try it out. You would feel the right Joy-Con vibrate at the spot where the charge shot is being charged.
Metroid Prime.png

TOTALLY NOT ACCURATE
Like I said, once we get our hands on the Nintendo Switch, it'll all click in place.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Dr. FalKoopa have you played a Dynasty Warriors game or a Fire Emblem game before?
I have played FE6 - 11 and Fates.

Fire Emblem is one of my favourite Nintendo series, which is something considering I came to know about it through Brawl.

You'd have to hold the controller for yourself in order to fully understand, but I think I can explain it. With this HD Rumble, instead of just feeling the entire controller vibrate, it vibrates in specific places in order to simulate the sensation. When Yoshiaki said you could feel an ice cube being shaken or put in the glass, he meant exactly that.
View attachment 124850
When this ice cube hits the sides of the glass, you would feel that spot on the controller rumble.
Now for a hypothetical example:

Suppose Metroid Prime 4 came out on Switch. You get to the point in the game where you collect the charge beam, and you try it out. You would feel the right Joy-Con vibrate at the spot where the charge shot is being charged.
View attachment 124852
TOTALLY NOT ACCURATE
Like I said, once we get our hands on the Nintendo Switch, it'll all click in place.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The 5 games I'm most hyped for are(in no order):

Dragon Quest Heroes I&II
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Breath of the Wild
Fire Emblem Warriors

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Boy, the following Breath of the Wild video really isn't making me feel good about those Guardian fights. You're hardly leaving a scratch on them, while they can wipe you out in one blow with "perfect" accuracy.

Part of me feels like you'll have to spend a good amount of time "avoiding" the Guardians until you've acquired the proper weapons to take them down. And even then, those instant death lasers will still be a problem to get past.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Boy, the following Breath of the Wild video really isn't making me feel good about those Guardian fights. You're hardly leaving a scratch on them, while they can wipe you out in one blow with "perfect" accuracy.

Part of me feels like you'll have to spend a good amount of time "avoiding" the Guardians until you've acquired the proper weapons to take them down. And even then, those instant death lasers will still be a problem to get past.
You know some crazy NG7+ Dark Souls player is gonna fight one of these things with a stick and win.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know some crazy NG7+ Dark Souls player is gonna fight one of these things with a stick and win.
That would be a surprise. But just knowing that the Guardians have those instant death lasers means that you'll need a highly efficient weapon if you want to strip away those supposed 500 hit points as quickly as possible.

On a side note, a weapon that delivers 14 points of damage would have to deliver up to 36 hits to take away 500 hit points, so you would have to make sure that the weapon hasn't been used yet if you don't want it to break during the middle of the fight.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I imagine you'll have to dodge them like your life depends on it(and it does) until you get the Master Sword.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I imagine you'll have to dodge them like your life depends on it(and it does) until you get the Master Sword.
Sadly, running won't do you any good if the laser beams are guaranteed to hit you. You'd need the speed of a horse to stand a chance, and even then, one mistake is pretty much a game over.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sadly, running won't do you any good if the laser beams are guaranteed to hit you. You'd need the speed of a horse to stand a chance, and even then, one mistake is pretty much a game over.
You know there are masochists out there willing to take on the challenge. :p

Top Bottom