• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
No worries dude. I'm in a very competitive school, so it's a "if I could, I would" sort of thing. I just throw out ideas and see if people like them. Maybe it's a form of request but I'd rather people at least have the idea than not. I do rimlighting on occasion but I'm still learning the ropes. :)

Taiko

Smash Ace
From what I've experienced, it's the only good way to request something, unless someone's requesting requests. The more you beat-around-the-bush and less direct someone is, the less rude and demanding one sounds. More opportunity to not accept, rather than to blatantly refuse.
In my eyes, it's the same thing. Requesting really takes away from threads whenever I see it.

IMO, if anyone really wants to request a specific skin/costume to be "Smash 3-ifed" but don't have the time or patience to learn the craft, at least rimlight the model(s) itself and upload it to where we can look at it. Ridley, for example, has been rimlit already (check my rimlight pack), but hasn't been given the Texture Boost by the Team; however you can used the Melee Styled Textures for Ridley by AlGeorgeRomero in the mean time.... Heck if you get bored waiting, attempt it yourself if you want to (Like the OP says). :p
Time or patience shouldn't be an excuse to throw out requests, I actually find that a bit disrespectful to the content creators. They themselves have to dedicate time and patience to creating something, it's not like things just happen. That's assuming they even have the motivation to work on things knowing people won't be satisfied having their requests ignored.
I didn't know anything related to modding when I started, I just applied what I did know and worked with that into what's now Smash 3. This was all during my final two years of school. My schooling is not even related to game design. Time should not be an excuse.

Nano's mentioned it before as well, but I check this thread every now and then to see what's been happening. Not to see pages of chatroom happening.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
In my eyes, it's the same thing. Requesting really takes away from threads whenever I see it.

Time or patience shouldn't be an excuse to throw out requests, I actually find that a bit disrespectful to the content creators. They themselves have to dedicate time and patience to creating something, it's not like things just happen. That's assuming they even have the motivation to work on things knowing people won't be satisfied having their requests ignored.
I didn't know anything related to modding when I started, I just applied what I did know and worked with that into what's now Smash 3. This was all during my final two years of school. My schooling is not even related to game design. Time should not be an excuse.
Naw, time's a perfect excuse. If I had the time, I'd totally rimlight everything that's left on the list, plus some, hahaha.

Other than that - I agree. Requests are always something that people shouldn't really care about very much, kind of plopped around. If they want it done, they need to do it themselves, just like, you know, real life. I honestly wish people didn't accept requests, like good ol' George, that way people wouldn't have a "I tell people to do whatever" mentality.

Now I feel bad 'cause this I'm going off-topic. I understand that Layell's started on the projects that are waiting on the Smash 3 content, and some designs, I'm assuming we're waiting on, such as Zero Suit Samus, has anyone started on the others? Like I said - I'd like to learn how to rimlight sometime, and I've got a weekend coming up, so unless someone's already started, I'd love to rimlight and try to Smash 4-ify some Samus.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Naw, time's a perfect excuse.
That's one hell of a joke.

If you want something done, do it yourself. You won't just learn, you'll grow. Not just grow as in learning how to do something, but you'll find out more about yourself as a person. Hell, you might end up making friends who do the same thing and you can grow together. It's only a matter of if you're willing to put in the time and effort to make what you want to make.

I'm pretty sure that unless you're a straight A student doing 10 extracurriculars while volunteering at a circus and shadowing a surgeon performing open heart surgery that you'll have time to learn and do it yourself. Best part is, Brawl Modding is probably one of the easiest things you could try to learn.

So just do it.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I would totally agree under any other circumstance. There does come a point where time is a factor, though, and without getting into the details, I've definitely met that threshold. Unless I want to give up some really valuable parts of my life, I can't do this unless I'm on break (which I do try to learn then). Not sure if most people here can relate, but that's my circumstance, and I think it's cool to throw some ideas to attention if it helps modders find a new project and makes my friend group happy as well.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
That's one hell of a joke.

If you want something done, do it yourself. You won't just learn, you'll grow. Not just grow as in learning how to do something, but you'll find out more about yourself as a person. Hell, you might end up making friends who do the same thing and you can grow together. It's only a matter of if you're willing to put in the time and effort to make what you want to make.

I'm pretty sure that unless you're a straight A student doing 10 extracurriculars while volunteering at a circus and shadowing a surgeon performing open heart surgery that you'll have time to learn and do it yourself. Best part is, Brawl Modding is probably one of the easiest things you could try to learn.

So just do it.
You've surpassed Shia Labeouf in terms of inspiration. I applaud thee!
Pretty sure Brawl is the easiest thing to mod ever, it's the only thing I've modded that wasn't a pain in the sweet tush. Source Engine, I'm looking at you. It just depends on each person's time management, I'm somehow behind on every assignment even though I've spent all day working on something conceptually easy. Or I'm just stupid. Likely the latter. Definitely the latter.
I would totally agree under any other circumstance. There does come a point where time is a factor, though, and without getting into the details, I've definitely met that threshold. Unless I want to give up some really valuable parts of my life, I can't do this unless I'm on break (which I do try to learn then). Not sure if most people here can relate, but that's my circumstance, and I think it's cool to throw some ideas to attention if it helps modders find a new project and makes my friend group happy as well.
Recent sons that merged into a nightmare, I understand, bro. The coolest thing about modding Brawl is that it only requires one or two tools. That's why I'm excited to learn about rim-lighting, from what I've seen, it's entirely Brawlbox based.

Is this off-topic? I think it's a bit off-topic. I feel bad.

TEMVSL

Smash Apprentice
I still remember my first ''project'' called ''project m hd'' and yeah, that project sucked so bad, so bad that i was ready to quit brawl hacking, then i discovered the smash 3c project, i wanted to assist, so, i started to watch the texture and rendering tutorials. I was working on another project called ''project super swag bros'' (kill me already, i don't know what i was thinking'' i wanted rim characters, and when i learned how to do it, i remembered, ''super smash bros 3c'' i started working on my first texture, dr awfull, i mean mario (the very first version) i tried to improve more and more, and well, that's how i'm here, just do it, make, your dreams, come true!!1!!
(probably, lots of grammar errors here, sorry lol)

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Listen we want more people to be working on textures, we really do. We just need more people to be willing to take the plunge.

Those of us who are collaborating together do make some requests of each other, but this is us in our own private conversations working towards our own collaborated releases. You have a fantastic texture guide by Taiko, and I would dare say that the PSDs in the Smash 3 thread are vital for anyone to figure out the basics on how to do some Smash 3 style textures. I might release a few of my own textures soon, as there are a few things I have learned (screw layer masks, use previous layer to create clipping masks are 100x better most of the time).

Just try making, practice makes perfect.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of practice makes perfect, I've actually thrown a little something together myself. Not gonna say it's particularly good, but I figured I'd drop it off here and see if anyone can help me out maybe. I made a second set of recolors for the Zelda - Link Tunic mod that went up on the Vault the other day, this time using Smash 3 textures as a base. I wanted to ask if someone could maybe show me how to render these out to make some semi-decent CSPs. You can find the screenshots I took below, as well as a download link if you'd like to mess around with them yourself.
Imgur Link: http://imgur.com/a/JOrmi
Mediafire Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?ocnstegqtvqvh44

Edit: Also, question, how would I go about importing the sword and sheath used on the Smash 3 model? I tried importing them using the Import Existing Object function in BrawlBox but I couldn't ever get it to load in Dolphin, it froze every time.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
I should mention that rimlighting is gonna be useless due to how the models are gonna be edited when released

(screw layer masks, use previous layer to create clipping masks are 100x better most of the time).
I think layering the mask via pen tool keeping in mind the pixels are more effective. It also makes it easier to fix AA issues caused by clipping masks. The Taiko HD Texture method, albeit painful an nerve wrecking, makes editing for recolors easier and spotting issues and texture errors easier. And it makes you feel good about yourself!

For me, the method shines its brightest with metal textures. (ROB for example.)

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Can someone make a CSP for a skin i made for smash 3 mario? this may not be the right thread, but i made a texture with mario in waluigi's clothes and i dont have the resources to make a good csp to fit in with the other costumes. Before i post the link i want to make sure someone is willing to do it. Here are the textures, though:
FitMario_BodyAwaluigi.png
FitMario_BodyBwaluigi.png

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Yeah, adapting or creating UV's are as difficult and annoying as giving birth, especially since the Brawl ones are so reliant on symmetry.

Last edited:

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman
I never noticed the hat colour difference, that's awesome!

Though - and I might be a killjoy here - they seem to use a silver version of the Hero's Sword; same as the one that Outset Link uses.
Thanks and yes I know but whenever I try to import a sword to toon link it doesn't quite work well in game

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Sonic.png

Remade render by Mach 7! Dont worry, the shoes and skin and everything aren't actually that dull in game.

Last edited:

Kenmak

Smash Rookie
Hello every one. i did my first render on Blender.
You have opinions on it ?

Last edited:

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Gonna have to push Maker Mario again. Everything is finished but the high quality renders, almost finished though.

Aghanim

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone I haven't been so present in this thread or have talked alot with you guys but I wanted to tell you that I really apprecciate and support your personal projects and goals and if you guys have any questions or problems maybe I can give some advice to help.

Hello every one. i did my first render on Blender.
You have opinions on it ?
It looks really good to me, Good job with the render Kenmak! It looks fantastic!

No, it's always in his hand even in taunts
If you used 3dsMax you probably had some problems on rigging it on his hand and on his back, maybe you rigged it to the wrong bones! (But I don't think that is the case it would be a messed up floating sword not going along with his hand).

If you imported his sword with the Brawlbox "add an existing object" funcion then you need to proceed this way. First you need to know that all objects that you port that way have allways the default TopN Visibity bone set to them (they basically are allways visible; when you import a char from the first time in Brawlbox, all of his objects are set to the default TopN bone so that's why Brawlbox is doing that) and this might cause problems with some objects like TL sword since he puts that back into his sheathe in some animations. So open the Toon Link model on Brawlbox, expand his object section and look for his Sword objects (he has a sword on his hand and another one on his back). The sword toon link has in his hand needs to be rigged to KenM and the one on his back to KenMb; basically you need to do this:
if his sword gets screwed up ingame (well visually it explodes!) after you did that, you need to reimport the character model completely with 3dsmax and export it back (I use 3dsmax 2012 and convert it first to an FBX model with the relative autodesk software and export it back as a .DAE file, I don't know if that matters) but it shouldn't happen since you were able to get it working ingame with the topN settings. I'm saying this because alot of objects gets screwed up after a brawlbox import

Last edited:
Top Bottom