• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

Juken

Smash Ace
Dolphin has a custom texture loader that ignores all that dumb stuff ( https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-new-dolphin-custom-texture-format ).
By what means is PM played using this version (and up, i'm using 4.0-7115 because it also has the new system)? I play with my mods using Gecko, and it only seems to work with v4.0.2 like the tutorial for PM on Gecko recommends. What would be the way to play modded Project M on these unstable versions that have the new texturing method?

Ardusk

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I've created a few more things: Yoob Yoshi - http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=209184
Ditto Pikachu - http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=209185
Ninten (New Design) - http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=209186

I also made an icon for Geno for whoever uses a Geno PSA
I'm loving all your recent contributions to the Smash 3C Project and it's a pleasure having you on board. I appreciate your efforts to improve continually as you learn more. They're right about the CSPs though, when you leave them like that it looks a bit unprofessional, but that'll improve in time! :)

With that said, I'm noticing some of your recent submissions lack the soft rim lighting that is staple to Smash 3(C) textures, specifically Ninten and Kumatora Lucas. Its that rim lighting that enables us to use models with less detail, because the rim effect gets them looking nice, otherwise they just look flat and bright.

[Directed at everyone else:] Do you think we should make it a hard rule that all Smash 3C submissions include said rim lighting?

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
[Directed at everyone else:] Do you think we should make it a hard rule that all Smash 3C submissions include said rim lighting?
I think some things should be excepted but most models definitely should have rim lighting. An example of something I'm glad to have here (even without rim) is Mario Kart DS ROB. They're looking into an issue with rim lighting but I'm glad they released and showed it here all the while.

Juken

Smash Ace
Well, if the OP is supposedly only going to include the mods that are "up to quality standard," then it hardly matters. The mods that don't have the same quality as the good ones in the OP will just be independent on the vault.

Last edited:

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman
I'm loving all your recent contributions to the Smash 3C Project and it's a pleasure having you on board. I appreciate your efforts to improve continually as you learn more. They're right about the CSPs though, when you leave them like that it looks a bit unprofessional, but that'll improve in time! :)

With that said, I'm noticing some of your recent submissions lack the soft rim lighting that is staple to Smash 3(C) textures, specifically Ninten and Kumatora Lucas. Its that rim lighting that enables us to use models with less detail, because the rim effect gets them looking nice, otherwise they just look flat and bright.

Thanks! This means a lot! And I have a really tough time rim lighting models, I've tried before but it had a shiny effect in game and didn't look good

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738

Pit flies in gloriously with new style. He has his PM colors (default and black), as well as new team color options. The change to his eyebrows is one that some people may have a problem with, but we felt that they fit his face better.

Those eyebrows are gross. What were you thinking?!

Last edited:

Superfiremario

Smash Apprentice
Something minor about the Classic Pit. The PM model has the Dark Pit one frowning, but the Smash 3C one is still smiling.

Juken

Smash Ace
PMDT just revealed this new costume. Posting for anyone who hasn't seen.
Looks kind of nice, but the pose is pretty awkward. Seems to be a lot of FE fans working on Smash 3/3C Project, so I know someone would want to see/Smash3-ify it.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Looks kind of nice, but the pose is pretty awkward. Seems to be a lot of FE fans working on Smash 3/3C Project, so I know someone would want to see/Smash3-ify it.
Link please?

I'm drowning in my own hype! O_o

Edit: nvm I found it. Look at the front page of /r/SSBPM

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
I wonder why its purple...

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
I updated Ninten with a banner and screenshots
Your Ninten could use a lot of work. Your skin and shoes seem to be the only parts that fit into the Smash 3 style - the rest looks like the original textures having been oversaturated. Keep in mind that just because Smash 3 (and Smash 4 for that matter) are more vibrant than Brawl, that doesn't mean they are super saturated with colors.

I tried asking you what process you used to resize before (not just the program), but if this is the best result that paint.net is capable of, I'd suggest switching to GIMP (for free) or Photoshop. Hell, I'd suggest switching to one of those two regardless, because that's what all of the Smash 3 and Smash 3C project files are created with, and it would be easier to cooperate.

It's coming along well, but I still think the pant seams on the side look awkward. The black line just kind of ends, yet the white one goes on all the way. Something about that just rubs me the wrong way, pal! Don't forget to adjust the inside of his sleeves, too.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Yea the pose feels akward too. It doesn't seem comfortable. I get with what they were trying to do, making it match the awakening pose, but still. the face also bothers me a bit. That doesn't really feel like Roy to me.

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Probably Project M color like the Pikachu hat. Someone will probably make an accurate version like what was done for the Smash 3 Sheik having an alt color that was her exact colors in OoT
Keep in mind that it's probably not the final version and render. Many of the costumes the PMDT has shown off have been changed quite a bit on release. He looks great right now, though.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Your Ninten could use a lot of work. Your skin and shoes seem to be the only parts that fit into the Smash 3 style - the rest looks like the original textures having been oversaturated. Keep in mind that just because Smash 3 (and Smash 4 for that matter) are more vibrant than Brawl, that doesn't mean they are super saturated with colors.
Regarding this, I've actually got some Smash 3-styled textures (recolored from Smash 3 Ness since they're already similar) that I was planning to release for Ninten some time. I simply never did so because I didn't feel like rimlighting the model and I wasn't gonna release incomplete mods. If anyone here would like them, I'd be perfectly happy to share.

Cahalan

Smash Ace

I tried asking you what process you used to resize before (not just the program), but if this is the best result that paint.net is capable of, I'd suggest switching to GIMP (for free) or Photoshop. Hell, I'd suggest switching to one of those two regardless, because that's what all of the Smash 3 and Smash 3C project files are created with, and it would be easier to cooperate.

It's coming along well, but I still think the pant seams on the side look awkward. The black line just kind of ends, yet the white one goes on all the way. Something about that just rubs me the wrong way, pal! Don't forget to adjust the inside of his sleeves, too.
The trick to make re-sizing (at least from Big to Small) in Paint.NET is to have it set on Best Quality and to use Percent Re-size while attempting to re-size the image.

How I go about sizing up the CSS Icons:

Step 1: acquire full size transparent render
Step 2: manually re-size it (while holding shift to maintain aspect ratio) to your tastes within the 80x56 image of an average CSS Icon texture (unless you use the latest version of dolphin to run PM, in which case you have the new image size be an integer mulitple size bigger whether it be 9 times of 4 times larger)
Step 3: Remember the location of the resized image's Top Left Point in relation to the base 80x56 canvas and the general size of the image that you want to use
Step 4: Aim to resize the original render using the best quaility possible using percent resizing to get as close to the desired size as possible.
Step 5: Remember to delete the test image in the 80x56 canvas before pasting in the better quality image and you're done.

Regarding this, I've actually got some Smash 3-styled textures (recolored from Smash 3 Ness since they're already similar) that I was planning to release for Ninten some time. I simply never did so because I didn't feel like rimlighting the model and I wasn't gonna release incomplete mods. If anyone here would like them, I'd be perfectly happy to share.
I'd be happy to rim light your model! :)
...Since Tabuu can't be rimlit without glitching while shielding (but can use a new render to fit in with Smash 3)...

Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
What's the best way to do recolors for costumes? I want to do some once the Smash 3 Project releases their updated characters, but I feel like just using the color replacement tool in photoshop is very limiting, like if you do light tones then you can only have that same bright tone and can only change the hue.

How do you do full on recolors like how someone could do someone who has bright colors like Dr. Mario and then have dark or saturated alts like his black costume and his PM red costume?

Dumb question, will this mod replace the characters' portraits?
Which mod specifically?

Last edited:

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
What's the best way to do recolors for costumes? I want to do some once the Smash 3 Project releases their updated characters, but I feel like just using the color replacement tool in photoshop is very limiting, like if you do light tones then you can only have that same bright tone and can only change the hue.

How do you do full on recolors like how someone could do someone who has bright colors like Dr. Mario and then have dark or saturated alts like his black costume and his PM red costume?

Which mod specifically?
I know I'm not anywhere close to a professional texturer. I use paint.net, so bare with me. but for recolors, I select the area I want to change, and use hue and saturation to change colors. I would imagine that photoshop has something similar/better than this. But if it's changing from white to color or light blue/pink/etc. I select the area, turn it black and white, then I add a layer with the area still selected and I fill it with the color I want. Then I make the layer transparent to give the right hue I want but at the same time not lose too much detail. If you will lose too much detail, I'd go back down to the base layer and sharpen the area. For turning white to black, in hue and saturation I lower the brightness and sharpen the area, or I'll go over the detail again.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'd be happy to rim light your model! :)
...Since Tabuu can't be rimlit without glitching while shielding (but can use a new render to fit in with Smash 3)...
Excellent! Here's his model. I can give you the S3 style textures if you want them as well, although I figure I can replace those easily enough once the rimlighting's done, so no need to waste your time with that. : P

About Tabuu... I assume you're talking about for his PSA, right? He's kind of complex so I don't know if I'm really capable of doing him justice, but I'd be willing to try to get him a nice render. If you've got a particular version / pose for him, I can use those.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Excellent! Here's his model. I can give you the S3 style textures if you want them as well, although I figure I can replace those easily enough once the rimlighting's done, so no need to waste your time with that. : P

About Tabuu... I assume you're talking about for his PSA, right? He's kind of complex so I don't know if I'm really capable of doing him justice, but I'd be willing to try to get him a nice render. If you've got a particular version / pose for him, I can use those.
Will get to doing the model in the future! :) and yeah if you try to give tabuu an edge texture it'll turn out wonky, but the current render for him in the "final version" on the vault isn't used to display the other extra costumes like the one that is about 130 colors or his emerald outfit in terms of CSP's. So if anyone can give the guy a nice Smash 3 style render it would by pretty sweet.

As for Ideas for "Smash 3 styled" renders for Tabuu (without rim-lighting because glitchez), he certainly needs an ominous pose at the very least...

Last edited:

Superfiremario

Smash Apprentice

Something about the face and the hair bother me, But still, it's an Awakening alt, which is pretty awesome!

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Something about the face and the hair bother me, But still, it's an Awakening alt, which is pretty awesome!
Hey, it could be a prime candidate for Dio-ification. (Serious though, someone find a transparent Dio face template PLEASE!)

@ Shin F. Shin F. : One Rim-lit Ninten hot off the press!
Get it while it shines!
https://www.mediafire.com/?kr9vgttzjigom03

Also here's a link to that Tabuu PSA I mentioned:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=31497

Oh and Shin, can you send me a full sized tranparent render of Ninten when you get around to that? I want to see how it looks when used in a CSS Icon such as these:
lucas.png
ness.png

Edit: Looking at the Awakening Roy Alt. I cannot unsee a Dio recolor for him, his smirk SCREAMS Dio.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Hey, it could be a prime candidate for Dio-ification. (Serious though, someone find a transparent Dio face template PLEASE!)
Give me a few minutes.

Personally, I'm disappointed. Face and hair seem very off. But whatever, not like I play PM anyways.

Shin F.

Smash Master

@ Shin F. Shin F. : One Rim-lit Ninten hot off the press!
Get it while it shines!
https://www.mediafire.com/?kr9vgttzjigom03
Sweet! That was extremely fast, lol. I'll get to work inserting all the textures tonight, and hopefully get some snapshots and an upload tomorrow, and then I'll see what I can do with Tabuu.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Sweet! That was extremely fast, lol. I'll get to work inserting all the textures tonight, and hopefully get some snapshots and an upload tomorrow, and then I'll see what I can do with Tabuu.
Thank you! Usually when it comes to doing multiple of the same model, I like to do the original and import the textures from the others. Unless It's Ridley then I'd have to also copy over the wing colors. (BTW the newest ridley model already has rimlight on it, I'm just re-adding the old shine to it to give it more flare, it doesn't help that there's an official metal model coming out soon which is why it's taking so long for my Rim Light pack to come out).

Juken

Smash Ace
Only 3 more recolors and Dr. Mario is ready to go!
Looks like you're trying to make it look like the PM recolor, but the tones are a bit off if you are going for that.

Yours looks a bit more pink, and the undershirt looks more yellow than orange. Buttons are also different, but I'm guessing that's to make it simpler/more Smash 3-like?

Last edited:
Top Bottom