• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Pardon our dust. Stuff 'll get fixed as time moves forward, so thanks for being patient. We got a small list going, so just check back every so often. Don't expect expedient fixes since, well, most of the team is officially "RETIRED".

That said, I'll stick around and post some nuggets of stuff for the next few days or so.

Oh yeah. Renders

Yalung

Smash Cadet
Nearly 3 years of hard work now finally put to completion in the most perfect way possible.

This is obviously an amazing gift we don't deserve. Thank you, every one of you.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
CHOOSE YOUR CHARACTER!
CHOOSE YOUR CHARACTER!.png

Seriously I can't thank you guys enough.​

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to shun for letting me jump on and help with more than he even planned. I hope y'all enjoy the packs, it was a long time coming and we got some good stuff in.

Now for more in the 3C thread... soon enough...

SomeSmashBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JayTheTrainerGuy
3DS FC
2234-7163-8539
Oh man. I've been waiting so long for this.
Congratulations and thanks guys, it's been a long time coming.

I saw S3 so long ago and was so excited after every update.
From seeing my main added to just a more complete project.
Even during Sm4sh announcements I'd run back to this thread to see if there was an update.
And now it's all finally complete.

So once again, thank you S3 team, you've earned it.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
After playing on the Wii and then on Dolphin, I can safely say that if you don't play this mod on Dolphin you are seriously missing out. Maybe it was because I was playing on an HDTV, but I was initially was really disappointed in how bad this mod looked on the Wii. On Dolphin, everything looks so much cleaner and this mod suddenly became the best costume pack for PM.

Some bugs I've found using the Brawl pack on Dolphin:
- Captain Falcon's visor turns orange when taking damage/using neutral b. This specifically happened with his pink costume, it may happen with the others too.
- Diddy's eyes are messed up on all of his costumes.
- Wolf's black fur CSP uses an older render.
- Many characters don't have updated skins (iirc, Bowser, Luigi, Kirby, Link and Ike had vanilla Brawl models in one or more costume slot)
- Kirby causes A LOT of crashes. He also doesn't seem to have updated hats for some of his costumes (for example, his MK costume uses Diddy's Brawl hat)
- When Ivysaur uses her up b to grab the ledge, her vine turns black and white.
- I can't seem to load Ike without the game crashing. The only costume of his that works is his default one because it uses the Brawl model.

Questions I have:
- Who modeled Roy? He looks like he was straight ripped out of Smash 4. Whoever did him seriously deserves praise.
- I heard you had a lot of trouble implementing a new model for Pikachu; is this something we can expect in the future or was it simply impossible? What exactly was the problem anyway?

I can't possibly imagine you guys giving us anything more. Thanks for taking the time to fix bugs, and making this pack in general!

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
Smash 3 Roy is Wii U Roy! Woooooo!
so, Smash 3 Kirby has new angry expressions, does Jigglypuff have new expressions too?
wasn't Pikachu going to have a new model from Pokemon X&Y?
is the HUD gonna get an update?
will there be a separate Smash 3 CSS or are the included CSS_Smash3 portraits intended for use with the Grid CSS?
that's all i wanted to ask, many thanks to the whole team <3

edit: didn't Wario, Wolf and Zelda really get any updates for this release? i didn't expect that

also, it appears that a few characters (in the individual downloads) have a repeated default CSP
like Marth, he has the CSP for costume 00 twice, they're named Marth_00_CSP and Marth_CSP

Zelda individual download has no Stock Icons except for one named Zelda_09_ST
Some individual downloads have no "CSS_Smash3"
i found that Pokemon Trainer's Smash 3 CSS portrait is just named Red_CSS

and Samus' costume 07 (Smash 4 Dark Samus) has a "Gun_Extra" texture that is the same as "Gun", unlike the rest of the costume files

the trailer has Kirby using his Smash 4 voice, so i thought i'd find his .sawnd file in his individual download but it's not there, was it supposed to be there?

i haven't tested anything in-game yet, i'll take long to mix and match for my build

Last edited:

blerb

Smash Journeyman
After playing on the Wii and then on Dolphin, I can safely say that if you don't play this mod on Dolphin you are seriously missing out. Maybe it was because I was playing on an HDTV, but I was initially was really disappointed in how bad this mod looked on the Wii. On Dolphin, everything looks so much cleaner and this mod suddenly became the best costume pack for PM.

Some bugs I've found using the Brawl pack on Dolphin:
- Captain Falcon's visor turns orange when taking damage/using neutral b. This specifically happened with his pink costume, it may happen with the others too.
- Diddy's eyes are messed up on all of his costumes.
- Wolf's black fur CSP uses an older render.
- Many characters don't have updated skins (iirc, Bowser, Luigi, Kirby, Link and Ike had vanilla Brawl models in one or more costume slot)
- Kirby causes A LOT of crashes. He also doesn't seem to have updated hats for some of his costumes (for example, his MK costume uses Diddy's Brawl hat)
- When Ivysaur uses her up b to grab the ledge, her vine turns black and white.
- I can't seem to load Ike without the game crashing. The only costume of his that works is his default one because it uses the Brawl model.

Questions I have:
- Who modeled Roy? He looks like he was straight ripped out of Smash 4. Whoever did him seriously deserves praise.
- I heard you had a lot of trouble implementing a new model for Pikachu; is this something we can expect in the future or was it simply impossible? What exactly was the problem anyway?

I can't possibly imagine you guys giving us anything more. Thanks for taking the time to fix bugs, and making this pack in general!
- Diddy was updated; check the previous page.
- Improper costumes might be on your end. Double-check your files to make sure everything is in it's proper place.
- Ike was updated; download the individual pack for him in the OP for the fixed version.

- Roy uses Jaystring's Smash 4 backport as a base with heavy optimizations and other small changes/fixes. Major credit goes to Jaystring for providing the base for both Roy and Ike, so a shout-out to him!
- The X/Y Pikachu model proved to be a pain to get working properly, so we decided to scrap it. We considered using the Smash 4 model as well, but by that point in development, we really just wanted to get the pack done, so we went with Brawl Pika. There are currently no plans for a new Pika model, unfortunately.

Anything I didn't answer is being considered/fixed by us. We will update you guys when those fixes are ready!

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
Unsure if you saw this already, but it appears Luigi is missing FitLuigi10. He still has 00-09 though.
EDIT: Nevermind, the pac/pcs files are named differently from the cosmetics.

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Of course if Kirby shows up then everyone is done. Duh.

I don't exactly appreciate Large Leader taking a sh*t on all of us stragglers but if that's how he wants to go out, it's his choice I suppose.

Good work boys and girls. You'd better put this in your portfolios.

Aghanim

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, but Diddy is still giving me trouble. As in the sclera (white part) of his eyes are pitch black.
you were right. The eye textures were referencing a non existing palette and that was causing weird issues with diddy's eyes. It should be fixed now, I have updated the main smash 3 builds which you can download in the OP. Also for the Proejct M build we have added metal materials to kirby's roy hat; as allways report us any problems.

Direct Diddy DL (for now):

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Alright, so design questions.

- Why does Samus (not ZSS) look so damn good?

- Whose idea was it to give Snake his MGS3 getup? Five bucks says it was Large Leader. What does the duck camo reference?

- Is the weirdness with DK's crotch in the render intentional? Or just irrelevant since it's cropped out?

- For Ike and Roy, did you folks use jaystring's import or rig it yourselves?

- Is Marth imported or custom? Could never tell...

- Wario's alt pose missing from the renders?

- Who was the most difficult character and why?

- Will you guys release all of your old PSDs as well? Render settings? Old render settings?

~

Design opinions:

- Sonic gives me the heeby-jeebies. Not your fault. No plans to use him. Ever. Sakurai gave him a unique design for Brawl anyhow.

- I absolutely despise D3's Smash 4 eyes. Thankfully I held on to the old renders so I can Photoshop them onto Shogun when S3C gets to him.

- Smash 4 Jiggs is cute but Brawl is cuter with those giant, lifeless eyes. Nice work on getting the render perfect though.

- Brawl Falcon has the better face and eyes. Smash 3 has the better everything else.

Last edited:

Jigglypoof21

Smash Cadet
I didn't find any new stock icons or a smash 3 CSS icon in Zelda's download. Not Sheik, just Zelda.
Also, thank you for all of the work that you have put into this project.

Edit: FitKirbyDonkey09 is a duplicate of FitKirbyDonkey07 and it shouldn't be.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
any reports of glitchy graphics in Delfino Plaza? i remember it being a troublesome stage for Smash 3
That was figured out a long time ago, so it shouldn't pose an issue anymore.

Alright, so design questions.

- Why does Samus (not ZSS) look so damn good?
Ya know, this is a question that has no answer

- Whose idea was it to give Snake his MGS3 getup? Five bucks says it was Large Leader. What does the duck camo reference?
We decided this as a team a while ago. Duck camo? It's a camo in MGS Snake can use. Ga-Ko I think it's called.

- Is the weirdness with DK's crotch in the render intentional? Or just irrelevant since it's cropped out?
Most of this was made with "how to frame for CSP" in mind.

- For Ike and Roy, did you folks use jaystring's import or rig it yourselves?
Jaystrings are a base as Mob said, then they were further optimized

- Is Marth imported or custom? Could never tell...
le Custom.

- Wario's alt pose missing from the renders?
That's not an accident.

- Who was the most difficult character and why?
Everyone. Why? UVs, Model Edits, Materials, stuff breaking, random glitches, suddenly losing progres, etc.

- Will you guys release all of your old PSDs as well? Render settings? Old render settings?
No. Requires too much further work from a group of people who are like "I'm not looking at this anymore"
~

Design opinions:
Everyone has opinions on what they like, what they don't like. I have my own, but those are best kept in my head.

As of today, I won't be working on this any more at all. I might pop my head in on occasion, but that's not likely really. Taiko sends his regards, as he's also in a state of "RETIRED". In the end, we didn't get to do all of what we wanted to, but there comes a point where you have to go "this is enough" and move on. It has been an experience, but now we're leaving the rest to the few team members who volunteered to stick around and patch bugs for us. I love those guys, and I hope you all treat them well in my absence.

I never thought Smash 3 would get this big, and in my heart, it's still just a small texture mod Taiko and I started on a whim. Hilariously enough, the Drop Box folder is still using it's code name "New Smash" anytime we added a new team member. Some of you are disappointed that "x" didn't get done or that we picked to do "y" instead and that's fine. There were a lot of plans we had that we had to scrap because we just didn't have the personel or the time to get it done. I had a list of stuff I wanted to do, but we didn't have time to get to lest this project really would've never come to an end. This is our compromise. You guys get something, and it might not be what I wanted you to have in the end, but, if the "I never thought this would get done" messages are an indication, it's better than nothing.

@Galaga is the reason this project was finished. He joined us early on, but got seriously ill and was hospitalized. We haven't heard from him in over 2 years, but heres to you man. We're "done". I hope you see this someday. Even now, it's hard for me to look at the 3rd post in this thread as each time I see him I wonder, "Is he alright?". For him, I stuck around for these 3 years to make sure it got finished because he was the most excited to see it done back when he joined. Ness was his baby, and he learned to texture working with us. When we updated Ness, he popped his head in briefly to say "I like this, wish I could've done it myself" and then he was gone. I won't forget that guy, and I hope you guys can respect what he did for this project.

That out of the way, this is my Retirement post. I know, I'm leaving a lot left to be done, but my circumstances have changed a lot and the ability to work on Brawl mods has greatly diminished for me. Ironically enough, I've never even seen the full project running in game and that should tell you something. It's been over a year since I turned on a Brawl mod, and now doing so is extremely difficult just due to a lot of my equipment crapping out on me. I hope you guys can enjoy what's here, and if not, I hope you're encouraged to make your own stuff. If you want this community to exist at all, it's up to you guys. You've got to create, you've to mold, you've to try. You might fail, you might not understand, you might break things, but if you keep at it, you'll get better, you'll understand, you'll succeed, and you'll fix things.

That all said, take care Brawl Modding Community, Shun_One is out. No more trolls (which I hope you guys enjoyed being trolled in a good way for a change), no more jokes, and no more general comments from me. I've overstayed my welcome and it's time for me to get going.

I leave you guys with some Smash 3 Trivia

-Taiko and Shun have never seen everything running in-game.

-Captain Falcon's extra palettes aren't based on anything in particular.

-Two of Samus' palettes are inspired by the Gundam franchise

-Dedede's Teal Pattern was made by Taiko. Not just the texture, the pattern on his obi itself.

-Ike's extra palettes are based on Nephenee and Jarod from the Tellius Saga Fire Emblem games

-Roy's extra palettes are based on The Last Story, Awakening Roy, and Marth respectively

-Taiko modeled one of Pikachu's hats himself shortly after learning how

-We lost our Snake progress at least once

-Over half the team had very little time to work on this starting around the time Smash 3DS released

-The CSS was almost canceled, but we opted to cancel the vBrawl version instead of scrapping it all together

-Ike had to be started from scratch at least 3 times.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
"RETIRED"
The usage of this word is such a pet peeve of mine, I've gone on many a rant towards Drogoth on why it shouldn't be used, which makes me really glad you use quotation marks and all-caps, haha.
There were a lot of plans we had that we had to scrap because we just didn't have the personel or the time to get it done.
You should post a list so that other people (including myself probably) can do 'em.
"RETIRED"
-Two of Samus' palettes are inspired by the Gundam franchise
And not Metroid Prime 2 nor a particular 3DS commercial. :(
Already started on them, heheh.

Last edited:

JunkoEnoshirna

Smash Rookie
NNID
spookytree
Wow, the first time I decide to check out Smash 3 in the better part of a year and it was finished yesterday.
Great work guys!

Cynapse

Smash Ace
It looks like the stock icons in info_corps.pac haven't been touched at all! They're all just default Brawl icons.
Once someone compiles a complete stock .brres, it's just a matter of replacing all of the others in the various info.pacs and STGRESULT. Interchangeability is nice. Like real nice.
Hey, only Cynapse Cynapse is allowed to insult people.
D'aww thx bb

Seriously though, I do find it amusing when some no-name shows up and defecates from their noise maker. Like they have any idea how much weight this project holds in this community or how much effort goes into modding in general. Patience is a virtue, good friends.

D

Deleted member

Seriously though, I do find it amusing when some no-name shows up and defecates from their noise maker. Like they have any idea how much weight this project holds in this community or how much effort goes into modding in general. Patience is a virtue, good friends.
That being said, I don't like the new Roy render. It looks gross from far away and only looks okay when you take a good, hard look at it close up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neuromancer

Smash Cadet
Smash 3 Team,

Thank you for making Project M look as good as it plays. The hard work put into these mods really shows. Your stuff has been an inspiration, and it’s awesome to see the project reach completion. Congratulations, and enjoy your well-deserved retirement, whatever that may mean for each of you. Thank you for everything you've given to this community.

Also, DAAAAYUM those are some nice renders you got there - that Samus, those Ice Climbers!

Great job on the final update guys!

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
When I try to import the stock icons for cBliss, I get this:
BrawlBox said:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Windows.Forms.TextureConverterDialog.EncodeSource()
at System.Windows.Forms.TextureConverterDialog.btnOkay_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
is a butt

skylanderszach

Smash Cadet
Unsure if you saw this already, but it appears Luigi is missing FitLuigi10. He still has 00-09 though.
EDIT: Nevermind, the pac/pcs files are named differently from the cosmetics.
I just renamed FitLuigi02.pac to FitLuigi10.pac and have had no problems.

Top Bottom