• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I have a question not really related to Smash 3 that I hope you guys would be willing to help me out on, or at least direct me elsewhere to where I can have my question answered.

Sometimes when I download something off of Brawl Vault, its supposedly in a format that can only be opened with the application WinZip, and while the free trial was helpful while it lasted I ideally do not want to pay money for the full version. Do any of you guys have any suggestions for what it is I could do, or how I can open these files without WinZip?

Last edited:

Azide

Smash Rookie
I have a question not really related to Smash 3 that I hope you guys would be willing to help me out on, or at least direct me elsewhere to where I can have my question answered.

Sometimes when I download something off of Brawl Vault, its supposedly in a format that can only be opened with the application WinZip, and while the free trial was helpful while it lasted I ideally do not want to pay money for the full version. Do any of you guys have any suggestions for what it is I could do, or how I can open these files without WinZip?
WinRar and 7zip will also do the job for you!

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
This thread's been in need of something... how about an update on what I've been working on?

This is what my previous draft of a Smash-3 esque Awakening Marth looked like...

... and here's what he looks like now!
While the changes aren't drastic, I think they do a much better job of matching the Smash 3 style. The gloves and boots have been touched up, so they are a bit darker and have less intense highlights, but trade those for more color, which allow for the rim lighting to be more noticeable. So, I think I'm done working with Awakening Marth, and I'd like to release him, but he's missing something I'd like to include in the download: a quality CSP and BP. I have zero rendering skills, and I don't know of any tutorials that cover the topic. Would someone like to offer some assistance on how I could make some CSPs/BPs? I'd really appreciate anyone who can help me, that way I could also make renders for my Smash 3-esque Brawl Marth as well, and release him with all of his recolors.

Here's what both of my Marth textures look like side-by-side for those who were curious:

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone would like to share :D

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
This thread's been in need of something... how about an update on what I've been working on?

This is what my previous draft of a Smash-3 esque Awakening Marth looked like...

While the changes aren't drastic, I think they do a much better job of matching the Smash 3 style. The gloves and boots have been touched up, so they are a bit darker and have less intense highlights, but trade those for more color, which allow for the rim lighting to be more noticeable. So, I think I'm done working with Awakening Marth, and I'd like to release him, but he's missing something I'd like to include in the download: a quality CSP and BP. I have zero rendering skills, and I don't know of any tutorials that cover the topic. Would someone like to offer some assistance on how I could make some CSPs/BPs? I'd really appreciate anyone who can help me, that way I could also make renders for my Smash 3-esque Brawl Marth as well, and release him with all of his recolors.

Here's what both of my Marth textures look like side-by-side for those who were curious:

I do hope you will put these on the Brawl Vault. As for CSPs, I know someone else could do better, but I made this quite a while ago so you're free to use it.

Antonio Garcia

Smash Cadet
Haha thanks. I will make a few more when I'm home and can use my other computer to render. But since you asked, here are some older ones I made with the current Toon Link and Meta Knight portraits, though they didn't turn out as nice.

Do you have a link to the majora's mask meta knight texture?

Crixler

Smash Journeyman

For the most part, this looks really nice, but it suffers from the same problem as all the current Smash 3 FE characters (which predate the modern Smash 3 philosophy): plastic face. Ganondorf, Zelda, and Sheik don't have that problem, so I hope you can use them as inspiration to resolve the issue.

Other than that, though, I like it!

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
For the most part, this looks really nice, but it suffers from the same problem as all the current Smash 3 FE characters (which predate the modern Smash 3 philosophy): plastic face. Ganondorf, Zelda, and Sheik don't have that problem, so I hope you can use them as inspiration to resolve the issue.

Other than that, though, I like it!
You'll be happy when we update the human characters, then.

JB_G.O.A.T.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-6358-2520
I'm afraid to download the pack right now. Every time I download it, a new character is finished and I have to download it again

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I'm waiting for everything to be done, and I have been for a while. I can't stand to have some characters looking good and some looking like they came from brawl.

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
You guys are great! I love using your mods and it's like my personal project m build feels like it was made for wii u. Are you guys going to update Jiggly:4jigglypuff: at some point right now she looks really dated and if you do could you give her the smash 4 eyes that would be amazing!

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
You guys are great! I love using your mods and it's like my personal project m build feels like it was made for wii u. Are you guys going to update Jiggly:4jigglypuff: at some point right now she looks really dated and if you do could you give her the smash 4 eyes that would be amazing!
They will upate most, if not all characters who aren't in the format of the recently updated characters (Mewtwo, Zelda, Pit).

Last edited:

John Kelly-Collins

Smash Rookie
Hey I tried making a Jigglypuff texture and I followed the tutorial (and rimlight tutorial) To the key but when jiggz gets burned she stays Red until hit and full rollout turns her completly white when hit it also happens sometimes when I grab an edge

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
They will upate most, if not all characters who aren't in the format of the recently updated characters (Mewtwo, Zelda, Pit).
Let the thin, bright multi-hat Pikachu and expressive, fleshy Jigglypuff hype begin.

Hey I tried making a Jigglypuff texture and I followed the tutorial (and rimlight tutorial) To the key but when jiggz gets burned she stays Red until hit and full rollout turns her completly white when hit it also happens sometimes when I grab an edge
I'm not an expert, but it sounds like it is solely an issue related to its rimlighting, not the texture. I would suggest you bring this up on @ Nezha the Scout Nezha the Scout 's Rimlight Tutorial Page. It might be easier for you to get a solution there, given the nature of your problem. Good luck!

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Do you guys think you could provide the character renders without the background?

I love how they look but I hate trying to crop them

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
This thread is scary, 2spooky4me.
Check the shaders, and be sure you applied the delphino stage. If you still get an error, you can PM me your model so I can do a scan for errors and offer pictures on how to fix them.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Sorry for the general lack of updates guys, school and life has taken us hostage again. Work is still happening, just very slow.

so, uuh...did you guys do anything spooky?
We didn't :(

Let the thin, bright multi-hat Pikachu and expressive, fleshy Jigglypuff hype begin.
We'll see, Pikachu might have to stay fat because of the way the legs animate, but I can say for sure Jigglypuff won't be as expressive as Smash 4 due to animations. If they're not animated in Brawl, we can't do anything about that!

Do you guys think you could provide the character renders without the background?

I love how they look but I hate trying to crop them
Yeah, just ask here for any characters you want and we'll send it your way!

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the general lack of updates guys, school and life has taken us hostage again. Work is still happening, just very slow.

We'll see, Pikachu might have to stay fat because of the way the legs animate, but I can say for sure Jigglypuff won't be as expressive as Smash 4 due to animations. If they're not animated in Brawl, we can't do anything about that!

Can you do Smash 3 render of Ninten plz? :):nervous:

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Let the bright, multi-hat - but still fat for um... Generation I nostalgia - Pikachu and fleshy, less-possessive but still not expressive looking Jigglypuff hype begin?

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the general lack of updates guys, school and life has taken us hostage again. Work is still happening, just very slowly.
:(
It's offically the start of November,Smash Wii U will be there in 19 days,Too bad this project won't be done before it releases:crying:[/quote]

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Could I have the Sonic, Wolf and Lucas renders if it isn't too much trouble :)

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
So now when do you guys expect to finish??
I don´t care if you finish next year because i love your textures so much!!

Cahalan

Smash Ace
If there's any better way to send off a completed smash 3 project it'll be a group render with character render in it...

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy

My Finished Rimlight Tutorial , and thanks to Taiko, is now available in a handy, good lookin' and 99% less typos PDF. It does not have a FAQ section unlike my tutorial thread, since that must be updated constantly. For all rimlight help please direct thyselves to the tutorial thread.

That thread is also a perfect place to show off your sweet rimlit models.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Wow this is a really cool mod, I'll probably be downloading it when everything is finished. :^)

CreAtor135

Smash Cadet
Dudes, this is freaking awesome. MY babies Lucas and
Ness! They're glorious! BUT, Marth's eyes. They haunt me. And I hope you're planning on a Smash 4 costumed ZSS and Ike! Also a Wi-Fi safe version would be nice. My PM converts to full when I add this on.

AND ONE MORE THING! Consider using the Smash Wii U HUD instead of the 3DS one. Ya know, with the face stocks and stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom