• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Taiko

Smash Ace
I'm aware, but I'm not asking for CPSs. I'd like the renders (of the default costumes) for creating a Smash 3 version of my Out-of-the-Box CSS.
Looks nice! Is there a way you could use the CSPs included in the individual downloads instead? That's...a lot of renders I'd have to send over, so if there are any where the CSPs aren't good enough, PM me and I'll send you the full ones.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
Looks nice! Is there a way you could use the CSPs included in the individual downloads instead? That's...a lot of renders I'd have to send over, so if there are any where the CSPs aren't good enough, PM me and I'll send you the full ones.
Thanks! I'm a bit concerned about using a lower resolution source, so I'll start by checking if that concern is at all justified by comparing the end result for Roy using the render you've already shared and the CSP.

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
Thanks! I'm a bit concerned about using a lower resolution source, so I'll start by checking if that concern is at all justified by comparing the end result for Roy using the render you've already shared and the CSP.
They look awesome. I do have a question though. How did you make this masterpiece possible?

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Your work is the most impressive texture hack I have ever seen. I admittedly have gone a bit overboard with your original palette swaps up there. ^^' I look forward to seeing your final product.

But I do have a question about Project M. The PMBR had briefly touched base about potentially adding a new character to their final build in the future (Project M 4.0?). If the PMBR goes through with this idea, would you give their character the Smash 3 treatment, even if you had completed all the other characters by then? After all, Roy and Mewtwo look amazing.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Your work is the most impressive texture hack I have ever seen. I admittedly have gone a bit overboard with your original palette swaps up there. ^^' I look forward to seeing your final product.

But I do have a question about Project M. The PMBR had briefly touched base about potentially adding a new character to their final build in the future (Project M 4.0?). If the PMBR goes through with this idea, would you give their character the Smash 3 treatment, even if you had completed all the other characters by then? After all, Roy and Mewtwo look amazing.
I can't really answer for them, but my guess would be no.

Any future Characters are up to us to Smash 3-ify most likely. Hopefully Edel can get us a rim light tutorial.

The Incinerator

Smash Cadet
Hey, I love the textures you guys have made so far and am looking forward to any material you will be able to release in the future! I do have one question though, is there stock icons available for all your additional textures as I have been unable to find them in the main downloads

Shin F.

Smash Master
I can't really answer for them, but my guess would be no.

Any future Characters are up to us to Smash 3-ify most likely. Hopefully Edel can get us a rim light tutorial.
The rim lighting is actually pretty easy - there's a tutorial on how to do it by Mewtwo2000. We just have to use their edge texture to be sure it matches.

I'd be really interested in seeing their methodology for creating the textures themselves, though. I'd actually be willing to give it a go if I just knew how to get the same texture look they've managed to achieve.

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I hate to ask this, but I have a good reason at least, so here goes:

Is it possible for you guys to possibly put priority on Wolf, if it's not already there? To my knowledge, there's no good, clean Wolf mod pack. I don't like the "vibrant" pack nor the style of "melee/64/classic" Wolf, and I really hate how bad some of his recolors are, even in Project M. I think you guys at Smash 3 could do him justice.

Feel free to disagree; I won't try to boss you guys around... just a suggestion I guess. Literally though, Wolf I think is the only character I still have to mix/match recolors with, and even then I don't have a full pack for him.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I'd also like to learn how to do rim lighting well. I tried it once, and it didn't look pretty. I ask because I felt like working on another alternate costume today, and would like to see if it could qualify as a fan-made addition to the pack one day. For all you Melee/P:M Mario fans that may have been happy about a certain returning veteran in Smash 4 (like me!), check this out:

A comparison shot between my Smash 3-like Dr. Mario and Smash 3 Mario. Big thanks to Taiko, whose New Smash Dr. Mario texture I sourced for the scope and chest details.

The textures in my eyes are final, so I can source these to make recolors; now all he's missing is rim lighting. So what do you guys think? I'm personally really proud of how well he came out :D

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
That Doc looks delicious! Actually, you brought up something I'd like to discuss.

Rim lighting... I think it's a little bit overused sometimes, honestly. Can't say it's always the case for Smash 3 (in fact I can't think of anyone off the top of my head whose Smash 3 costume for sure has too much rim lighting) but the term has grown to bother/worry me, being that so many modders use it as a way to "buff up" the "quality" of their mods... which is something I highly disagree with; more often than not rim lighting users mess up an otherwise nice texture/model, all for the sake of being "fancy" or something when it just looks bad.

I guess what I'm saying is, please don't overdo rim lighting, to all you modders out there. Looks like booty imo. I saw a nice Yoshi texture set that was ruined by rim lighting so strong he looked like glass pretty much.

Last edited:

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
I'd also like to learn how to do rim lighting well. I tried it once, and it didn't look pretty. I ask because I felt like working on another alternate costume today, and would like to see if it could qualify as a fan-made addition to the pack one day. For all you Melee/P:M Mario fans that may have been happy about a certain returning veteran in Smash 4 (like me!), check this out:

A comparison shot between my Smash 3-like Dr. Mario and Smash 3 Mario. Big thanks to Taiko, whose New Smash Dr. Mario texture I sourced for the scope and chest details.

The textures in my eyes are final, so I can source these to make recolors; now all he's missing is rim lighting. So what do you guys think? I'm personally really proud of how well he came out :D
Amazing! If the Smash 3 team doesn't upload an "Official" Dr. Mario, I atleast hope they post a link to this. Also the hair looks kinda weird. Are you copy-pastaing the hair/head/face textures?

Taiko

Smash Ace
Another update today guys! Is that...Sonic? Impossible!

And of course, we did the Final Smashes for Sonic and Wario as well:

Sonic gets a total of 14 recolors, to make up for the wait. Brawl users can use cBliss to expand their slots and add all 8 Brawl Style Sonics, while Project M users get their Shadow and Silver costumes early as well as an Espio costume and...Boom Sonic?! Boom Sonic and Silver will replace the Silver and Tails costume slots in Project M 3.5, but for the time being, you guys can grab them in the indivudal download and replace whichever slots you like.

And finally, as we're nearing our 1-year anniversary, this comparison had to be made:

Only if it's Knuckles, with a Pumpkin Hill alternate costume. Make it happen PMBR.
But really, we'll see. We don't have anything planned specifically, but who knows.

Hopefully Edel can get us a rim light tutorial.
As Shin F. said, there's a rim lighting tutorial by Mewtwo2000 here. Scout does a few extra things though, so if he were to make a computer I'm sure he'd include them.

I hate to ask this, but I have a good reason at least, so here goes:

Is it possible for you guys to possibly put priority on Wolf, if it's not already there? To my knowledge, there's no good, clean Wolf mod pack. I don't like the "vibrant" pack nor the style of "melee/64/classic" Wolf, and I really hate how bad some of his recolors are, even in Project M. I think you guys at Smash 3 could do him justice.

Feel free to disagree; I won't try to boss you guys around... just a suggestion I guess. Literally though, Wolf I think is the only character I still have to mix/match recolors with, and even then I don't have a full pack for him.
Don't worry, we'll get to him eventually. Do understand that Wolf is a bit more difficult due to the complexity in his design, but we do have some progress on him.

Very nice! I am going to update the Mario textures eventually though, so keep that in mind. Maybe add a texture to his pants as well?

That Doc looks delicious! Actually, you brought up something I'd like to discuss.

Rim lighting... I think it's a little bit overused sometimes, honestly. Can't say it's always the case for Smash 3 (in fact I can't think of anyone off the top of my head whose Smash 3 costume for sure has too much rim lighting) but the term has grown to bother/worry me, being that so many modders use it as a way to "buff up" the "quality" of their mods... which is something I highly disagree with; more often than not rim lighting users mess up an otherwise nice texture/model, all for the sake of being "fancy" or something when it just looks bad.

I guess what I'm saying is, please don't overdo rim lighting, to all you modders out there. Looks like booty imo. I saw a nice Yoshi texture set that was ruined by rim lighting so strong he looked like glass pretty much.
That's because we don't use our rim specifically as rim, it's there more to emulate higher quality lighting.

Amazing! If the Smash 3 team doesn't upload an "Official" Dr. Mario, I atleast hope they post a link to this. Also the hair looks kinda weird. Are you copy-pastaing the hair/head/face textures?
The face and stuff is ours for sure, it just goes to show how outdated the Mario textures are.

Last edited:

Breadfrenzy

Smash Rookie
For some reason Sonic's eyes are really really dark on maps like final destination. Is this a bug or did I install it incorrectly?

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet
Amazing update, Sonic and Wario look incredible! I'm really happy to see Ike and Bowser seem to be getting reworked too!

I hope someday you'll upload HD csps too.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
The rim lighting is actually pretty easy - there's a tutorial on how to do it by Mewtwo2000. We just have to use their edge texture to be sure it matches.
My methods are quite different I assure, its mostly to ensure no glitches happen with them. Especially on delphino plaza and characters on FS mode, these tend to glitch out since on the tutorial offered by Mewtwo2k doesn't cover the whole thing and it isn't updated.

By the way, I prefer to rimlight manually by only using Brawl Box, no outside tools... makes me feel like I have a more direct control.

As the team's rimlighter, I have to agree. Glass does not equal nice, one has to adjust the intensity of the rimlights to assure it fits the charater in question. In essence, rimlight should be used to balance quality, not boost it. For all of the future smash 3 continuations, it is recommended that all characters have the equall intensity of rimlight, the subtle one, in order to look consistent with the rest.

If used correctly, rimlight will, and I repeat, WILL make your mod more llamative for a larger quantity of people. No dry brawl bleh.

Also, here's two tips for the future generations from me, uncle Scout Spy Medic:
->if you gonna rimlight models outside of smash 3... release two versions, one with and one without rimlight, let the peeps choose which one to use.
-> Is the character you're working on made of glass, metal, goo or a victim of a dimensional cataclysm that render him/her unable to coexist in a single dimension like Phantoon from the metroid series? If its not... glass rimlight isn't recommended.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
I can offer you my assistence, I like how Doc looks. However, just like Taiko said... its is best to wait for Mario's update first before adding extra stuff.

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Is Ike sticking with his PoR attire or are you guys still going through with this design:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Amazing update, Sonic and Wario look incredible! I'm really happy to see Ike and Bowser seem to be getting reworked too!

I hope someday you'll upload HD csps too.
Is Ike sticking with his PoR attire or are you guys still going through with this design:
There are very specific reasons why Bowser and Ike have been silhouetted out while Mario has not.

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
Another update today guys! Is that...Sonic? Impossible!

And of course, we did the Final Smashes for Sonic and Wario as well:

Sonic gets a total of 14 recolors, to make up for the wait. Brawl users can use cBliss to expand their slots and add all 8 Brawl Style Sonics, while Project M users get their Shadow and Silver costumes early as well as an Espio costume and...Boom Sonic?! Boom Sonic and Silver will replace the Silver and Tails costume slots in Project M 3.5, but for the time being, you guys can grab them in the indivudal download and replace whichever slots you like.

And finally, as we're nearing our 1-year anniversary, this comparison had to be made:

Only if it's Knuckles, with a Pumpkin Hill alternate costume. Make it happen PMBR.
But really, we'll see. We don't have anything planned specifically, but who knows.

As Shin F. said, there's a rim lighting tutorial by Mewtwo2000 here. Scout does a few extra things though, so if he were to make a computer I'm sure he'd include them.

Don't worry, we'll get to him eventually. Do understand that Wolf is a bit more difficult due to the complexity in his design, but we do have some progress on him.

Very nice! I am going to update the Mario textures eventually though, so keep that in mind. Maybe add a texture to his pants as well?

That's because we don't use our rim specifically as rim, it's there more to emulate higher quality lighting.

The face and stuff is ours for sure, it just goes to show how outdated the Mario textures are.
I noticed that you blacked out Ike and Bowser on the chart. (cough), their being updated, (cough)...

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
There are very specific reasons why Bowser and Ike have been silhouetted out while Mario has not.
I like how you guys will go back and critique your precious textures. I look forward to seeing what you guys will do to Bowser and Ike.

However, how regularly do you guys update? Once I started going back to school I didn't check up on Smash 3 for awhile. I only discovered Fox, Ness, and Lucas last Wednesday. So when you guys just updated Sonic, Wario, and R.O.B. today I was overwhelmed with all this cool stuff. Is there a rough time table for updates like that?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
However, how regularly do you guys update? Once I started going back to school I didn't check up on Smash 3 for awhile. I only discovered Fox, Ness, and Lucas last Wednesday. So when you guys just updated Sonic, Wario, and R.O.B. today I was overwhelmed with all this cool stuff. Is there a rough time table for updates like that?
We don't have any sort of release schedule. Stuff gets put out when it's done. It just so happens we've managed to finish a lot of stuff simultaneously for the past two releases. In very short time periods between them than usual.

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
For some reason Sonic's eyes are really really dark on maps like final destination. Is this a bug or did I install it incorrectly?
I have the same issue where his eyes are very dark on stages with minimal lighting, such as Final Destination. It looks very strange because his gloves are still relatively white. Does anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
I have the same issue where his eyes are very dark on stages with dark lighting, such as Final Destination. It looks very strange because his gloves are still relatively white. Does anyone else have this issue?
It's a bug that we haven't been able to figure out, we'll look into it and try to fix it for a future update!

where did dio go
Aww, people noticed :(

Last edited:

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
Holy cow! I get it now, my freaking brstm files are the problem...now i don´t know what to do!!
:(

Top Bottom