• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman

[collapse=What is Smash 3?]​
Smash 3 is a visual overhaul of Brawl, with the goal of bringing Smash 4's visual style to Brawl. Though we'll be bringing the visual style, we don't plan on replicating Smash 4 1:1, as there are some things that just can't be brought over. We won't be adding Smash 4 characters. We won't be adding Smash 4 gameplay. We won't be adding Young Link.
Think of it like Brawl was developed with the visual style of Smash 4.

How did this come about?
Taiko, after seeing Smash Wii U/3DS Mario, wanted to attempt to create him in Brawl, but by making the textures from scratch. As he was working, someone else beat him to the punch with a "Smash 4 Mario" making him reconsider. Instead of dropping the idea, he decided to continue with his own brand of characters labelled "New Smash" and released two characters under said label. As he was preparing to continue, Shun sent him a message that he wanted to assist...

Shun, nearing wrap up of his "Vibrant Brawl" project was looking for the next texture project to tackle. He knew he couldn't just do another "recolour" project, as that wouldn't be a "step up" from what he had accomplished previously. Then, he saw Taiko's New Smash Mario and was intrigued. Sending Taiko a message, the two began to talk and ideas started to snow ball for New Smash. However, as the two worked, they realized this project had a specific goal, and thus the name "Smash 3" was coined.

Original Smash 3
Our original goal was to create Nintendo-eqsue textures for all the characters. As we finished characters though, we realized that with our original goal, not all characters looked "right." Some characters simply needed more complex textures to capture their feel correctly, namely the more complex ones. We've detailed the process here, so take a look if you're interested!

Texture Sources
When finished, texture sources will be released for characters in PSD format. Anyone is free to use these and release what they come up with, but proper credit must be given (either individual names listed in the original Smash 3 release, or as "The Smash 3 Team").​
[/collapse]

- Downloads -
Updated 10/24/2014 - Updated Mewtwo.

The main download pack. Includes everything currently finished with menu assets pre-installed. Does not include additional costume slots.
Click "Download" in the top right, and choose "Download .zip"

[collapse=FAQ]Who's working on this?
We are:
Taiko
Shun_One
IWantGames
Tailsmiles249
KTH
Scout
Satoshi-Kura
Codex
Amazerommu
Large Leader
Drogoth
Moblin
Nano

Some non-team members have contributed either directly or indirectly. They are:
SJS
Starwaffle
ASF1nk
Mewtwo2000

How do I install this?
We've included instructions in the Pack download. Please read them.

Does this work with Project M [version number]?
Not at the moment. The next big update will fix that.

I tried using the pack with Project M, but my game freezes when scrolling through the costumes!
This pack does not work with Project M at the moment.

Can you guys fix Mewtwo's legs? They're weird looking.
We cannot, they are animated in the same way as Project M Mewtwo. We would have to re-animate them to be not-weird.

Smash 4 Roy looks really awesome. Can you make him?
Our Roy is too far into development to just turn back and redo his design. If you really want Smash 4 Roy, I'd suggest buying the Smash 4 DLC.

Will you do more characters?
Our goal is only to do the Brawl cast. Mewtwo and Roy are merely bonuses.

After installing the HUD, my game freezes!
Some people are having issues with it. We have no idea why, and have spent several hours trying to find out why this is. If the HUD has frozen your game, please tell us what mods you are using.
If you figure out the cause, please let us know! We'll be happy to fix it.

Waaugh! My game froze, fix it pls
You did something wrong. Please read over the instructions and get back to us if that doesn't work.
In addition, we can't guarantee something will work if you've modified the files yourself.

Can you walk me through every aspect of getting Brawl mods to work?
No. Refer to this guide: http://smashboards.com/threads/texture-and-vertex-hack-database-how-to-thread.232455/

This should be officially supported by Project M!
Thanks for the compliment!

What's taking so long with *insert character here*?
Unfortunately, we are being held hostage by a fiend called "Life" and cannot work on textures 24/7.

Are you going to do the Project M alternate costumes?
No. Please understand that retexturing Brawl is already a huge task in itself. Doing the Project M costumes would basically double our work. We will, however, supply recolors to fill the Project M slots.

I hear you guys are making 10 costumes for each character, but the new cBliss is going to support 14 slots. Will you support 14 instead?
Coming up with 10 unique costumes is difficult enough! If we were to make 14, there would be a lot of similar costumes. There are only so many colours!

Are stages in the works?
No. Stages don't need the touchups we're giving the characters.

Can I modify your stuff? And who do I credit?
Yes. Just be sure to credit either "Smash 3 Team" or the individual users who contributed should you release it.
To make your life easier, we also release our texture sources when they're available. You'll find them under the character's download in the OP!

I want to help!
Great! Post in our thread or message either Taiko or Shun_One.

Do you take requests?
No, no we don't. We'd never finish! You can use edit our textures to make your own, though.

I made this cool recolor using your textures! Can you guys officially add it?
Sorry, probably not. If we accepted everyone's recolours, we'd never finish since there's more to the recolours than just the textures.
However, you're free to upload your recolor to the Vault! Just remember to give us proper credit.

Can I use these textures for my custom build/pack?
Of course! Just remember to give us proper credit!

Are you guys PMBR yet?
Two of our members are, but they're just here to spy on us in the event we go rogue.

What happened to the House of Pancakes?
It burned down with Shun's harddrive.

Who is Scout?
Edel is Scout. Scout is Edel. Why two different names? He's a russian spy. Just kidding. Or are we?

When will this be completed?
Next week*. In game magazines

*if it isn't finished next week, re-read this message until it becomes true.[/collapse]
Hey guys, I'm new here and I just wanted to know if there was a comparison picture between a smash 3 skin and a brawl skin.

Juken

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm new here and I just wanted to know if there was a comparison picture between a smash 3 skin and a brawl skin.
Just look up pictures of brawl characters and then look at the Smash 3 screenshots?

drogoth232

Smash Lord
You should know by now that there's absolutely nothing that is an accident with what we do.

Everything is an intentional step.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Sorta, the Sonic Sound Pack and the Smash 3 TL Trailer
Kirby's face was shown.
DK was shown.
Samus was shown.
DK doesn't matter anyways because we already saw him before.
Kirby's body was shown but not his face.
Samus, could just be iwantgames import.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
This video analysis reminds me of the early days of smash4 trailers, and finding the hidden Ganondorf.

But I wonder, did they found everything there is to be found? It will remain a mystery.

Last edited:

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, to make it very clear any characters shown related to the project are intentional. I would've taken down and re-edited the video otherwise. The Sonic voice pack wasn't made an official part of the pack until a little later during the video editing process. When I make these videos I pick out characters carefully as to not show certain things. For the reveal trailers (yes, trailers ;)) I chose characters that would not be shown until later.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
We're digging up 6 month old trailers, god damnit the content thirst is real.

Edit: Oh, and Merry Christmas/ Hanukkah to y'all

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
This entire community gets massive boners for any kind of leak. Always thirsty for info that's not theirs.
We have to be, we get new stuff so rarely. Mods and Sm4sh DLC aside, we get new stuff about every 6 or 7 years. This community goes into content droughts all the time, it's only natural to get excited for new stuff. That's why leaks get spread so fast around here, especially for stuff people are excited for. *cough*literallyanythingPMrelated*cough*

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
So there haven't been many screenshots of Ivysaur's alts, have there? She has the best palettes in the game.
Also smokey black Olimar or I riot. Alone.

This leak talk seems to be getting off-topic, so I'm going to do the natural thing and encourage it anyway because I'm evil.
We have to be, we get new stuff so rarely. Mods and Sm4sh DLC aside, we get new stuff about every 6 or 7 years. This community goes into content droughts all the time, it's only natural to get excited for new stuff. That's why leaks get spread so fast around here, especially for stuff people are excited for. *cough*literallyanythingPMrelated*cough*
Even though they're posted by scumbags related to Hitler who bathe in attention.

There have been so many false leaks, that I don't believe anything anymore. It's pretty good for me though, 'cause now games are actual surprises when they're released!
Dang you Dark Pit.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
There have been so many false leaks, that I don't believe anything anymore. It's pretty good for me though, 'cause now games are actual surprises when they're released!
Dang you Dark Pit.
I have my year supply of popcorn ready for when the smashboards' community breaks apart again due to a new leak that seems like a photoshoped Little Mac or just part of a personal desire to not have their favorite character in the games.

God I love Nintendo fans!

Last edited:

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
I have my year supply of popcorn ready for when the smashboards' community breaks apart again due to a new leak that seems like a photoshoped Little Mac or just part of a personal desire to not have their favorite character in the games.

God I love Nintendo fans!
And you can bet your arse it's gonna be one of us that'll make it because we have nothing better to do!

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna take that as a "no".
No way, don't fall for it. They're just trying to psych us out, it's all a conspiracy. Not only will they drop Smash 3 at precisely midnight tomorrow, but they'll also drop Half-Life 3 just for us being such good little chickies and being so gracious as to allow them to work for no pay on their free time for about a year to give us a thing that they receive no immediately tangible benefit from. Totally. Douchey passive-aggressive sarcasm aside, if we wanna be technical 2016 just means before 12/31/16 at 11:59:59. They never really said when. Obviously they've got more tact than that, but really, we could very well be waiting for a bit. I'm actually kinda glad though, maybe we'll see more activity around here between now and release day.

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman
It's either Mario, Toon Link, or Peach I would say has received the largest improvement to their textures. There's a lot more detail in them than before and better defines what the project is really going for.
Oh ok, since Mario was said twice that must mean he's gonna look amazinger (is that even a word? Oh well) than he already does! I can't wait for the update!

Top Bottom