• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Dawn of the last day folks. Are we still hopeful out there? I still believe that Impa has a solid chance to be included, if not as a DLC character wether it’s unique or as a Echo.
I am less hopeful than I was last direct lol.

But still holding out hope nonetheless. I still think that if we were to get 3 echoes she’d make it in. All depends on if we get more than Ken and Shadow

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am less hopeful than I was last direct lol.

But still holding out hope nonetheless. I still think that if we were to get 3 echoes she’d make it in. All depends on if we get more than Ken and Shadow
Which I do really hope. I still think we could have had way more Echoes than this. Even if Ken and Shadow make it, I still don’t think that’s enough. There’s a lot of reasonable Echoes out there, and Impa is easily Top 5 most worthy Echo material. She can also be made with using assets of other move sets like that of Ike, Cloud, Sheik or Greninja or even Link and Zelda (Link’s bombs and Zelda’s magic). So there’s a lot that’s possible. If she only had a good role in BotW, she wouldn’t face all this jeopardy...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fingers crossed.
Yes same here!! Ten more minutes... can hardly wait. I still think a Zelda newcomer is just about obligationary at this given point, and Impa would make the perfect Sheik Echo now that her Final Smash has changed. If nothing else, am hopeful for DLC. Therefore I hope there’s no flat out deconfirmation in this Direct.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
than you sakurai for making sure nintendo's 10th most successful franchise outnumbers its 3rd most successful

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Well, gonna be real. I don’t think Impa is getting in even as DLC (not with only 5 non echo characters). I don’t have hope for a Zelda Rep at all.

That being said, the game looks amazing. Story mode looks fun. And you better bet I’m playing the hell out of Piranah Plant.

Here’s hoping for more Impa in the next Zelda game or a HW sequel.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am also no longer confident in getting Impa. But at the very least, shes no Assist Trophy of Spirit so far. Which might even hinder her future potential... I also have little hope for her becoming a DLC character. Am quite certain those are gonna be reserved for 3rd party characters...

I got sort of hopeful when I saw those Yiga Clan costumes for the Mii Swordfighter, but that’s not even saying much. We could’ve known this given her role in BotW. Given that even the Zelda franchise doesn’t seem to want to use her, we can indeed safely assume it’s over....</3

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I am kinda unsure why we're all assuming the DLC will ALL be third party characters. I definitely see at least 2, but I'm not so sure all of them will be. Yes the last few in Smash 4 were but Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas were also DLC. Is it because Impa is not a veteran? Then there's also Corrin but his/her game was too new for base game while Impa has been in several games and for many years.

I'm really upset she is most likely not in the roster, however. She's so iconic in the Zelda series, moreso than Sheik who has been in ONE game in the main series. I've kinda lost hope but there's still a little bit based on how she isn't represented at all from what we've seen (AT, Mii Costume, and not even shown off yet as a spirit but she most likely will be lbr).

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... didn’t anyone see the Yiga Clan Mii battling Diddy Kong in the Direct?

In my head canon, it’s Sakurai acknowledging Diddy Kong Diddy Kong ’s IMPAct. :awesome:

Can you just imagine if Impa is a DLC fighter?! Her biggest competition, Skull Kid, is disconfirmed along with Midna and Ghirahim... and Tingle is no longer an Assist Trophy but is now on the Great Bay stage again.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So... didn’t anyone see the Yiga Clan Mii battling Diddy Kong in the Direct?

In my head canon, it’s Sakurai acknowledging Diddy Kong Diddy Kong ’s IMPAct. :awesome:

Can you just imagine if Impa is a DLC fighter?! Her biggest competition, Skull Kid, is disconfirmed along with Midna and Ghirahim... and Tingle is no longer an Assist Trophy but is now on the Great Bay stage again.
Well honestly, Diddy is Sakurai’s favorite punching bag in just about any instance. It’s almost always Diddy who gets hit by basically anyone in most official Smash presentations. It’s been irritating me since a while, so I didn’t even notice.

Besides, even IF it’s a form of recognition, look how straight up dirty Sakurai did with Isaac. I’m not quite sure how to look at it honestly.

Also, even if she doesn’t have competition anymore I still doubt there’s ever gonna be a Zelda newcomer at this point. What we really need before Impa coming to Smash is a new appearance honestly... That would seal the deal for Impa. Am not sure if she’s ever gonna make it at this point.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What we really need before Impa coming to Smash is a new appearance honestly... That would seal the deal for Impa. Am not sure if she’s ever gonna make it at this point.
She had one... Breath of the Wild... but that was the original elderly Impa and not the new youthful Impa.

Honestly, if Sakurai is willing to put in Piranha Plant, of all things, in Smash, then I wouldn't put it past him to put in an elderly Impa in Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
She had one... Breath of the Wild... but that was the original elderly Impa and not the new youthful Impa.

Honestly, if Sakurai is willing to put in Piranha Plant, of all things, in Smash, then I wouldn't put it past him to put in an elderly Impa in Smash.
trouble is it looks like sakurai doesnt like zelda anymore, maybe im being paranoid but in all 3 kirby character videos one of the links gets attacked by them

and link was the first to go in the world of light

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd Impa still has a chance but oddly enough, I'd say the stage pack-in hurts her somewhat. Namely that all games with Impa of fighting age already have stages. Unless there's a Hyrule Warriors stage...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is so ironic that this is Impa's "spiritual" home when Impa (Ocarina of Time) is a spirit.

1541203301692.png

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
trouble is it looks like sakurai doesnt like zelda anymore, maybe im being paranoid but in all 3 kirby character videos one of the links gets attacked by them

and link was the first to go in the world of light
Zelda may not have a lot of fighters but it is very well represented in stages and ATs.

So I don’t think Sakurai hates Zelda at all.

Though another fighter would be nice.

I'd Impa still has a chance but oddly enough, I'd say the stage pack-in hurts her somewhat. Namely that all games with Impa of fighting age already have stages. Unless there's a Hyrule Warriors stage...
I could also see possibly free echo characters somewhere down the line. Maybe...

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
To some extent with the Fatal Frame Assist Trophy announced, it shows that Sakurai has been working with Koei Tecmo. So there is a hance we will see Impa from Hyrule Warriors, I guess.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Zelda may not have a lot of fighters but it is very well represented in stages and ATs.

So I don’t think Sakurai hates Zelda at all.

Though another fighter would be nice.
it does feel like he give preferential treatment to other series like fire emblem but like i said maybe im just being paranoid

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I could definitely see Impa being in consideration for DLC, honestly. Have we seen anything of Skyward Sword Impa (or Hyrule Warriors anything?)

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I could definitely see Impa being in consideration for DLC, honestly. Have we seen anything of Skyward Sword Impa (or Hyrule Warriors anything?)
No, only Ocarina of Time Impa is a spirit so far

I suppose Impa still has a shot if there's a 2nd Fighter Pack or there's free DLC in the form of echoes.

But I'm not getting my hopes up for now. I'll just see how it plays out

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ocarina of Time Impa was easily the least likely feasible versions of Impa to get into Smash honestly. Well, I could see her as an alt but yeah her build just doesn’t match up with Sheik’s. She’s taller and more buff, it would work more as a Melee styled clone. Am betting you’ll unlock her battling Sheik however.

Anyway, yes since Impa would come with a new stage it’s less likely that she’ll be the one making it in. In fact, that goes for most characters that already have their franchises represented. I say it’s far more likely to get faces of new franchises in, and most likely they’ll end up being 3rd party.

It’s not impossible of course. Since they also come with just one new song. And what else would be played on the new stage? Guess that then it would make more sense.

Yet I cannot picture Hyrule Warriors get a new stage. It’s been one of the most successful Wii U and Switch games yes, but what besides Hyrule Castle would make sense for Impa? It could be maybe a warping stage that goes through all the ‘ages’ meaning we see stage parts from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. That represents the story very well.

And even if there’s a new role for Impa coming in Zelda, Rex from Xenoblade 2 also didn’t make it because the characters had already been chosen before the game’s release. So that’s also dismissed. I think our only hope is being a Echo yet again and they come as surpilrise bonuses.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
Yet I cannot picture Hyrule Warriors get a new stage. It’s been one of the most successful Wii U and Switch games yes, but what besides Hyrule Castle would make sense for Impa? It could be maybe a warping stage that goes through all the ‘ages’ meaning we see stage parts from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. That represents the story very well.
This is an amazing stage idea. I'd love to see the rainbow bridge or Gaurds from Oot, the courtyard and resistance fighters from TP, and the Gaurdians, Lynels, and Malice. Although, Hyrule castle is represented quite frequently already. We have 2 stages for it and it appears in Sheikah Tower as well as Bridge of Elden.

Speaking of Lynels, who would you like to see as a boss in World of Light? I don't exactly see pig Ganon making it in since we already have Ganondorf. I do think Sakurai would make a really cool boss out of Gaurdian where you would have to destroy all 8 appendages of it before defeating it. He does like mechanical enemies as bosses (Meta Ridley, Galleon, Duon, and Porky).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i hope nintendo's list of dlc characters sakurai chose from had a lot of zelda characters on it

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
While it might be unlikely; I'd love it if Twili Midna was DLC. Yes, I do think Sakurai could find a way to make her unique. Yes, it might have been easier for her to be an Echo but, if Sakurai can make Piranha Plant a character Twili Midna shouldn't be a challenge.

As for Impa? Sadly, I don't think Nintendo would ever use Hyrule Warriors versions of any character. Still, would be cool if Impa were to be added and even better as a unique character!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yoooo new hope!! Nintendo themselves apparently choose which characters will become DLC. So that means it’s FAR more likely that most of the characters will be from 1st party franchises which make a character from Zelda, Impa being the front runner, all the more likely!!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yoooo new hope!! Nintendo themselves apparently choose which characters will become DLC. So that means it’s FAR more likely that most of the characters will be from 1st party franchises which make a character from Zelda, Impa being the front runner, all the more likely!!
yeah i think nintendo might have gone for fan favourites

or stuff for certain switch games

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
yeah i think nintendo might have gone for fan favourites

or stuff for certain switch games
Yes but I can't really picture them adressing characters that are already ATs, like Spring Man for ARMS, or Mii Costumes. So what is really left? I also don't see them opting much for second party newcomers, as Fire Emblem or Pokemon newcomers for example. Bandana Dee might also be excluded because of this. It seems way more likely Nintendo wants to have more imput in who goes into Smash, and that is a very good thing I think. Not specifically for Impa, but for first party newcomers in general. King K.Rool and Ridley only really got in because of insane fan demand. But now we can finally see who Nintendo themselves would want to put into Smash Bros., and that might mean Impa gets considered.

Also, I posted the same thing in the Dixie Kong thread, but what if Impa was considered to be added as a Echo, but decided to differenciate her more? Much like Isabelle really. Who still seems VERY clonish! I analysed her moveset a lot, and it seems that all the differences between the movesets of :ultisabelle: and :ultvillager: are what was innitially shown in the trailer. Since we got semi-clone DLC characters last time (:4feroy::4lucas:) and a lot of characters who where build up from assets from excistant fighters (:4bayonetta:; :4zss:. :4cloud: ; :4myfriends:. :4corrinf: ; :4marth:) that could mean that Impa was pushed back into DLC territory? Same with Dixie Kong. All of young Impa's excisting builds are different than Sheik's. We already figured that part out. If Isabelle's slight height difference and lack of a potbelly mean she's more than a Echo, that means Impa would probably fall in the same category.

Am not saying it's extremely likely, just a possibility. If anything, our chances probably sky rocket once again if there will be Echo DLC characters. But somehow, I doubt that... Which is bad cause I don't think Impa is far less popular than the likes of Daisy and Dark Samus at the very least. If anything, she was always consistantly popular like Chrom.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes but I can't really picture them adressing characters that are already ATs, like Spring Man for ARMS, or Mii Costumes. So what is really left? I also don't see them opting much for second party newcomers, as Fire Emblem or Pokemon newcomers for example. Bandana Dee might also be excluded because of this. It seems way more likely Nintendo wants to have more imput in who goes into Smash, and that is a very good thing I think. Not specifically for Impa, but for first party newcomers in general. King K.Rool and Ridley only really got in because of insane fan demand. But now we can finally see who Nintendo themselves would want to put into Smash Bros., and that might mean Impa gets considered.

Also, I posted the same thing in the Dixie Kong thread, but what if Impa was considered to be added as a Echo, but decided to differenciate her more? Much like Isabelle really. Who still seems VERY clonish! I analysed her moveset a lot, and it seems that all the differences between the movesets of :ultisabelle: and :ultvillager: are what was innitially shown in the trailer. Since we got semi-clone DLC characters last time (:4feroy::4lucas:) and a lot of characters who where build up from assets from excistant fighters (:4bayonetta:; :4zss:. :4cloud: ; :4myfriends:. :4corrinf: ; :4marth:) that could mean that Impa was pushed back into DLC territory? Same with Dixie Kong. All of young Impa's excisting builds are different than Sheik's. We already figured that part out. If Isabelle's slight height difference and lack of a potbelly mean she's more than a Echo, that means Impa would probably fall in the same category.

Am not saying it's extremely likely, just a possibility. If anything, our chances probably sky rocket once again if there will be Echo DLC characters. But somehow, I doubt that... Which is bad cause I don't think Impa is far less popular than the likes of Daisy and Dark Samus at the very least. If anything, she was always consistantly popular like Chrom.
well we cant really know who nintendo would have chose, all we can be sure of is sakurai's bias will be little less all we can do is hope impa was on the list

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
*logical me: Nintendo will choose Rex or Elma, some 3rd parties, and someone to promote a 2019 title

*illogical me: Impa will be in smash with her HW design and naginata to hype up HW 2

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Posted this in another thread:

Despite the lack of a Zelda newcomer since Brawl being a obvious point that needs to be addressed, as Zelda is easily one of Nintendo's most succesful gaming franchises and Breath of the Wild was phenominal, I'll try and keep it character-related. Zelda really doesn't have many consistant characters that return to each game, outside of Link and Zelda. Ganon is also up there, but GanonDORF definitely isn't for example. And let me just compare Impa with Ganondorf here.

Impa might not always have a role in the Zelda franchise as a fitting Smash character, being a elder lady in her most recent incarnations (ALBW :ultzelda: and BOTW :ultlink:) as well as her original design on the NES Zelda game, but her most popular and prominent roles are definitely as a Sheikah warrior who safeguards the princess, Zelda. Ocarina of Time was the first time Impa was actually included in game for example. And here she serves as both a mentor to Link and Zelda, as is one of the Seven Sages. She returned in Skyward Sword with an impressive revival role, as well as a double role which is only revealed at the end of the game, much like :ultsheik:'s role was in Ocarina of Time. You see the character often, but only near the end you fully understand what their role was all along. Then, shortly after, she first became playable in Hyrule Warriors as the first character alongside Link. Therefore, she's the first character aside from Link ever fully playable in a "Zelda" game. And she also is a sort of co-lead alongside Link, and features a design merged from both Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword, as well as being guardian of Zelda yet again.

It might not be all that much, but she's the most prominent Zelda character aside from incarnations of Link, Zelda and Ganon, whom all have their most popular and prominent versions of their character featured in Smash. At the very least she could've been a Sheik Echo, but I believe she can have way more.

Since Breath of the Wild is HEAVILY Sheikah-themed, and BotW being a "template" for future Zelda games, Impa could easily borrow the moves of Link's Sheikah Slate to create a character around. Master Khoga, the Yiga Leader, also uses a few Sheikah Slate magical attacks as Magnesis. If the Yiga Leader could do so, so could the Sheikah Leader. Since Breath of the Wild is bascially the end of the Zelda timeline, and Skyward Sword is the beginning, it's likely a next Zelda game will be in the past of BotW, and since BotW features a Old Impa, a prequel would feature a Young Impa. She has fought against the Calamity in her younger years, and was implied to be a strong warrior close to both Link and Zelda as well as the Champions. She would be the IDEAL candidate for a Zelda newcomer that's added down the line of Smash development, when news of a next Zelda game will probably reach us before they reveal Impa as one of the DLC characters. That's good foreshadowing.
I kind of think that Impa missed the boat this time because the designs of both the original game of Link and Zelda have a elder Impa in that respective game. ALBW has Impa as the princess's nursemaid, but definitely isn't a guardian fit for protecting her, even if she's a Sage. And BotW Impa was once a respective warrior close to Link, Zelda and the Champions, but that was literally a 100 years prior.

So if Impa where to get in, I think she'd sport a design that is basically Young BotW Impa. And that has a very reasonable chance of happening, seeing as BotW is basically the direction where Zelda is headed for the future, and I have no doubt the Sheikah-theme will stay. Breath of the Wild takes place at the end of the Zelda timeline. Ganon won't be back after meeting his demise (yes this is a pun) as the Great Calamity, and the story just didn't address how it all came to be. Since Ocarina of Time's lore carried over to basically ALL the 3D Zelda games but Breath of the Wild, it's safe to assume that BotW's lore will carry over to the upcoming Zelda titles. In which the Sheikah are the dominant race of Hyrule, and Impa being their leader.

We still have a lot of merrits people. We just have to build up hope from 0 yet again, which we done many a times already!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
perhaps her older incarnation from albw could work with some sage powers
Older Impa could work, or even one that transformed between young and old, but I think Nintendo would choose Young Impa for DLC because she’d be more profitable

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am not betting on Old Impa before it's established she can fight. If she can fight in a new appearance, am all for it. Up untill then? No. She could be designed like the BotW Sheikah Monks mixed with Ocarina of Time Impa and carry a weapon of sorts. If we see such, I'll accept it. Up untill then it's definitely Young Impa for me.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
With Nintendo making the picks, going with a flagship like Zelda seems like a likely choice. Most, if not all, other popular picks seem to be out of the running, so Impa would make a logical choice to include. I'd imagine she'd either get her Skyward or Warriors design, preferably the latter (and in regards to licensing, I'm sure it wouldn't be any trouble, after all, Samus is mostly based on her Other M which was designed by the same company). It'd be nice to see her wield the naginata, but I can live with the massive sword or Shiek semiclone would be ok too.

As for a stage, I'd like to see Death Mountain be a stage. While not Impa-related specifically, it's the only major overworld location not currently made into a stage. The inside of a dungeon/temple would be pretty neat too and gives us something iconic to Zelda that hasn't been done yet.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I am not betting on Old Impa before it's established she can fight. If she can fight in a new appearance, am all for it. Up untill then? No. She could be designed like the BotW Sheikah Monks mixed with Ocarina of Time Impa and carry a weapon of sorts. If we see such, I'll accept it. Up untill then it's definitely Young Impa for me.
i agree younger impa would be far more likely but i dont think whether or not its been established or not that a character can fight would be a problem for smash, i dont think we saw the dog or the duck from the duo fighting before hand

Older Impa could work, or even one that transformed between young and old,
im glad im not the only one who had that idea

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With Nintendo making the picks, going with a flagship like Zelda seems like a likely choice. Most, if not all, other popular picks seem to be out of the running, so Impa would make a logical choice to include. I'd imagine she'd either get her Skyward or Warriors design, preferably the latter (and in regards to licensing, I'm sure it wouldn't be any trouble, after all, Samus is mostly based on her Other M which was designed by the same company). It'd be nice to see her wield the naginata, but I can live with the massive sword or Shiek semiclone would be ok too.

As for a stage, I'd like to see Death Mountain be a stage. While not Impa-related specifically, it's the only major overworld location not currently made into a stage. The inside of a dungeon/temple would be pretty neat too and gives us something iconic to Zelda that hasn't been done yet.
Hey I didn't even think of that yet! Other M and Hyrule Warriors sharing the same developer. We might have some luck after all! Especially if there's gonna be a Hyrule Warriors 2, which I think is very likely. It might even be the prequel to BotW? Since BotW was quite inspired by Hyrule Warriors, especially the cutscenes and a few story segments, it could be very possible.

Judd

Smash Rookie
If I had the choice between no Impa and OoT Impa, I would chose to not have her in at all. That design is absolutely horrible, but they already chose that one for her Spirit.

Top Bottom