• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Trolling. Please refrain from celebrating over others not getting what they wanted.
Nah. Happiest I’ve been in over a year was the Dante Mii. I really didn’t want Dante in Smash, and he’s gone. LETS GOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
We also must remember this: the characters in the second fighter pass are either characters that were considered for games previous or concepts from previous games fully realized. Min Min and Pyra and Mythra were both considered, but were too late for the base game of Ultimate. Steve took 5 long years of negotiations to get into Smash. Sephiroth was added to address the content disparity of FF. Lastly, a Tekken character (Heihachi) was considered for Smash 4, but was considered too difficult to get working at the time, and Kazuya got in most recently. When looking at this, Ayumi Tachibana and Rhythm Heaven characters like the Chorus Kids could potentially be our last fighter since Sakurai and the development team are looking this far back
Y`Know now that you mention it several of these characters were considered at one point. I remember that an ARMS rep & a Xenoblade 2 rep were considered for the base roster in Ultimate but didn`t make it in time. Plus a Tekken Rep was considered in Smash 4 now i think about it. With this in mind & with other characters ( Such as Krystal being considered for Brawl & Takamaru being considered for Melee but both been giving the AT treatment) out of the equation Ayumi could potentially be the final DLC fighter to officially wrap up Ultimate`s DLC cycle & thank goodness she didn`t get Mii`d. Also while i am disappointed that Shantae did wound up getting Mii`d anyway i breathed a sigh of relief that Dante got Mii`d he was one of few characters that i really didn`t want in Smash.

amageish

Smash Master
So what time do spirit events drop? Todays the day isnt it?
Tournament for this week is 2010s characters.

Kind of weird as the tournament themes usually fit the week's newcomer when a new character comes out, but maybe they'll do two tournaments back to back and next week will be anti-heroes or something...

We may have some Gift Spirits revealed at 6PM though - character spirits that are initially exclusive to people who own their original game on Switch. They have only done 5 of those up until now, but they seem to be doing them more, so we'll see...

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Tournament for this week is 2010s characters.

Kind of weird as the tournament themes usually fit the week's newcomer when a new character comes out, but maybe they'll do two tournaments back to back and next week will be anti-heroes or something...

We may have some Gift Spirits revealed at 6PM though - character spirits that are initially exclusive to people who own their original game on Switch. They have only done 5 of those up until now, but they seem to be doing them more, so we'll see...
It looks like were still in the clear. Ill be keeping my eyes peeled every tuesday.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
It looks like were still in the clear. Ill be keeping my eyes peeled every tuesday.
Yeah, the Gift Spirit this time was for Monster Hunter Stories 2...

Next week will probably be another tournament - one that Kazuya can, you know, actually participate in?

If FDC does get a late spirit event though, it is at least probably a sign the games surpassed expectations, as most "late" "promotional" events seem to be signficantly after we know the games blew up far more then anyone could have predicted (ex/ Astral Chain, Ring Fit, etc.). I think those ones happened primarily just to get content in the game for fans...

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

Next week will probably be another tournament - one that Kazuya can, you know, actually participate in?

If FDC does get a late spirit event though, it is at least probably a sign the games surpassed expectations, as most "late" "promotional" events seem to be signficantly after we know the games blew up far more then anyone could have predicted (ex/ Astral Chain, Ring Fit, etc.). I think those ones happened primarily just to get content in the game for fans...
I think those events probably had very little to do with sales, I imagine it was just a scheduling thing. It is odd there hasn't been one though.
I have a feeling they're a bit clued in to all the "fan rules" this time around, hence why Heihachi came back when he did. They're trying to throw the speculators off somewhat.

amageish

Smash Master
I think those events probably had very little to do with sales, I imagine it was just a scheduling thing. It is odd there hasn't been one though.
It's possible it just wasn't a priority to get them out right away, but I also don't think it is a coincidence that things like Pokemon and Animal Crossing got spirit events basically right away while the shock successes are the ones waiting several months...

Speaking of FDC promotion, I got an email today informing me I can get $10 off The Girl Who Stands Behind as I bought The Missing Heir.

A thing I know... because I already used the discount. And bought The Girl Who Stands Behind. And beat it. Several weeks ago.

I think that email may have gone out to more people then intended.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I know I'm probably real late on the draw here but I've finally completed The Girl Who Stands Behind, so I've run dry of FDC content :c Shame cuz they were both very nice experiences. That said... I gotta say I think I do like The Missing Heir more in the end. Explanation below. Both positives and negatives listed.

I was just left a little unsatisfied with how TGWSB ended things out, yknow? TMH felt like it really wrapped up each last plot thread and it came together really believably. There was more of a constant stream of clues and hints in TMH while TGWSB had a lot more sudden moments of massive exposition, especially the final chapter where we got two long-winded speeches from both Urabe and Hibino. Kanda gave a speech too I guess, but it felt more natural and didn't drag on as long. Plus it followed that cool maze segment that was reminiscent of classic PC dungeon crawlers. This is more of a personal thing, but I also felt like I got stuck on weird logic or interface screwiness in TGWSB more often than TMH. Like having to click on Hitomi's hair that one time... dumb. And finally, another very subjective thing. I think they were going for some scary implications with Yoko's ending, how we never knew how she got all her information. I think they kiiiinda wanted to do the same thing with no explanation for the residents of Myoujin Village seeing Kiku walk around at night? But that was way more lowkey and in Yoko's case I'm left unsatisfied with a "maybe it was a ghoooost"

Onto the good stuff though. This game was SCARY. And I mean that with pure love. The damn jumpscare at the end from Hibino in Urabe's office really got me, and in fact the whole final chapter had my heart blasting out of my chest from the extremely foreboding atmosphere and music. Not to mention, of course, the pièce de résistance, Shinobu's body. I actually left out a big OH CRAP because it felt so obvious that something had to be hidden in the wall Tazaki plastered. But then BAM it scared the hell out of me and was such a cool way to take down Hibino. Definitely a better climactic moment than Kazuto coming out of nowhere, even it it made Kazuto mega cool. Speaking on Tazaki by the way, he's another thing I really appreciate about TGWSB. The characters as individuals I think I do like more than TMH, just a bit. Ayumi drugging the protagonist was dumb but tense, I loved Hitomi's fun arc, Tazaki had awesome moments in the first half that made him finally smiling in the second half all the more satisfying, and I just adored how all the suspicion was thrown on Urabe and then he turned out to be TOO good for his own good.

So yeah that's my unprompted review. TMH > TGWSB overall but TGWSB had some awesome points to it so I'm just happy I finally got to play this duology.

My main point is that now I want moooore. I am licking my chops for more mystery content from video games lol, what with this localization and some new content in some of my favorite series ever, Danganronpa and Ace Attorney, coming later this year. I'd love to see them tackle remaking that Satellaview game starring Ayumi that's been mentioned here a few times or just making a new game in the series entirely. If they do make a new game, I wonder if they'd keep the setting. This isn't Stranger Things, FDC does not throw the fact that it takes place in the 80s in your face, but it is noticeable and makes for a cozy, nostalgic atmosphere seeing how Japan was in 1988 through the bulky tech or all the smoking. If they made a whole new game I feel like they'd keep Ayumi and the protagonist but maybe modernize it which would disappoint me a bit. Oh and also please please English voice acting. I didn't dislike the voice acting at all here but I'm just a fan of a lot of English voice actors and like to see them in things lol.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice

That`s good to know i`ll be keeping a sharp eye every tuesday until the day Challenger Pack 11 is revealed.

Staarih

Smash Master
Stopping by to say that I did my part and got both the FDC games on the Switch a while ago, and am well into The Missing Heir and loving it so far. While not a typically a fan of visual novels, something about FDC always interested me, so when the remakes happened and were available worldwide I just had to jump in. Would gladly welcome Ayumi in Smash too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
"This tournament is for characters who fight with just their bare hands."

Min Min, with a literal chargeable lazer attached to her hands: I'm ready! ... What? These are my bare hands, technically.
wow sakurai did not follow the lore of arms at all

amageish

Smash Master
wow sakurai did not follow the lore of arms at all
Yeah, Min Min's trailer is inaccurate to ARMS lore as we know it... though I also kind of wonder if he may just be privy to some upcoming retcons we don't know about, as the (potentially completed?) ARMS comic got shelved entirely and the rumour is that it was due to "changing directions for the series"...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, Min Min's trailer is inaccurate to ARMS lore as we know it... though I also kind of wonder if he may just be privy to some upcoming retcons we don't know about, as the (potentially completed?) ARMS comic got shelved entirely and the rumour is that it was due to "changing directions for the series"...
Well some of the previews shown matched up with ARMS more than smash

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You between the girl who stands behind and several other things, there’s seems to be a trend of schools being open at night. Anyone know if that’s a thing in Japan?

amageish

Smash Master
View attachment 322643
Another near miss. Like the designs of these characters by the way.
Always love to see indie games get representation in Smash and Sakuna going from a 2-person passion project to a 1-million-unit seller with content in Smash Bros, however minor it may be, is an amazing success story. Well done to the team and I'm super excited to go for these spirits on Friday!

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
did not think theyd be getting spirits
Maybe they're trying to avoid a Byleth situation where the character becomes a little obvious by process of elimination (though even then, I seem to be one of the only people who figured that out, everyone else thought it was either Dante or Kylo Ren)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Maybe they're trying to avoid a Byleth situation where the character becomes a little obvious by process of elimination (though even then, I seem to be one of the only people who figured that out, everyone else thought it was either Dante or Kylo Ren)
perhaps though I’m not sure too many people were expecting sakuna

also did people really think it was gonna be kylo ren?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
perhaps though I’m not sure too many people were expecting sakuna

also did people really think it was gonna be kylo ren?
No, but by having spirit events be from franchises that never reasonably had a chance then they can avoid that.

Not really but there was one "reaction youtuber" who thought Byleth was Kylo Ren and screamed "They put Star Wars in Smash" over and over again until Sothis appeared. Which was weird.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, but by having spirit events be from franchises that never reasonably had a chance then they can avoid that.

Not really but there was one "reaction youtuber" who thought Byleth was Kylo Ren and screamed "They put Star Wars in Smash" over and over again until Sothis appeared. Which was weird.
that is weird

amageish

Smash Master
I highly doubt they care that much about speculation, honestly. I'm guessing third-party spirit events largely amount to if the devs can get in contact with the right people to make them happen, especially given things like our singular Warframe spirit.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Anyone know the track record of this person?

amageish

Smash Master
Anyone know the track record of this person?

Not great. They were right about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but most of their "insider knowledge" really seems like it is just following other leakers and, more often then that even, following known intentions verbally expressed by video game designers (ex/ predicting FE6 will get a remake, a thing the Director of Echoes said they wanted to do; predicting Pokemon Detective Pikachu is getting new content as an IP on switch, a thing literally confirmed in a Pokemon Presents years ago; and, now, predicting FDC had sequel plans, a thing expressed by the director of the latest games).

I also kind of doubt Nintendo would let poor FDC sales in the west kill the IP; if it flopped in the west, then I imagine they'd just go "Aw, shucks, Japan-only it is." The Japanese limited-run physical edition outsold a plethora of MAGES games before you add digital sales and it's not like Nintendo loses money from letting an external company use an IP they have no use for.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Not great. They were right about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but most of their "insider knowledge" really seems like it is just following other leakers and, more often then that even, following known intentions verbally expressed by video game designers (ex/ predicting FE6 will get a remake, a thing the Director of Echoes said they wanted to do; predicting Pokemon Detective Pikachu is getting new content as an IP on switch, a thing literally confirmed in a Pokemon Presents years ago; and, now, predicting FDC had sequel plans, a thing expressed by the director of the latest games).

I also kind of doubt Nintendo would let poor FDC sales in the west kill the IP; if it flopped in the west, then I imagine they'd just go "Aw, shucks, Japan-only it is." The Japanese limited-run physical edition outsold a plethora of MAGES games before you add digital sales and it's not like Nintendo loses money from letting an external company use an IP they have no use for.
Yeah, admittedly some of the stuff here isn't TOO far-fetched (i.e. NLG working on a Punch-Out port (I'd imagine they'd want to start with something simple post-buyout) or Pikmin 4 restarting development a la MP4), but they've gotten more wrong than right at this point. That being said, there's nothing wrong with keeping it in mind, in the VERY slim chance it's at least a LITTLE true.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice

And considering that the physical release of FDC have sold out especially the collector`s edition i wouldn`t say that it didn`t perform well.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, admittedly some of the stuff here isn't TOO far-fetched (i.e. NLG working on a Punch-Out port (I'd imagine they'd want to start with something simple post-buyout) or Pikmin 4 restarting development a la MP4), but they've gotten more wrong than right at this point. That being said, there's nothing wrong with keeping it in mind, in the VERY slim chance it's at least a LITTLE true.
Most of their predictions are "believable," but they're largely "believable" due to being just very logical/safe predictions. Like, yeah, a game that was said to be nearing completion years ago and now is still MIA probably restarted development at some point. You don't exactly need insider knowledge to piece that one together...

I very much doubt such poor sales of FDC, at least that "below 25k" is false, we know that the retail collectors edition version of FDC has made over 20k in Japan alone, worldwide it's surely larger than 25k with digital included (the main way of distributing the game).
Oh! Uh. Honestly, my brain just read it as "below 25k outside of Japan" instead of "worldwide," as... yes... I struggle to believe under 5k people purchased the game digitally worldwide. I know it wasn't rocketing to the top of eShop charts or anything, but it also wasn't not charting at all.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Most of their predictions are "believable," but they're largely "believable" due to being just very logical/safe predictions. Like, yeah, a game that was said to be nearing completion years ago and now is still MIA probably restarted development at some point. You don't exactly need insider knowledge to piece that one together...
Yeah, that's kinda the issue with leaks in general, it seems...

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, that's kinda the issue with leaks in general, it seems...
True, but most leakers at least have something mildly surprising under their belt. If your correct "leaks" are from games directly acknowledged as being developed or intended on being developed by the developers... it's harder to trust you aren't just someone doing your research.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Markomaro isn't super trustworthy. He's the kind of guy who hears a bunch of rumors and eventually he'll get a nugget right. 25K doesn't sound too realistic given what we do know of the sales thus far.

Top Bottom